What’s a red flag for you?

Options

Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I'm not really looking for a partner, but red flags can be a general thing with friends as well:

- people who constantly talk about their issues (make them sound massive as well) but refuse to listen to any advice. To them everything is "useless" and their life is just supposed to be hell
    - people that plan out activities, make you put it in the calendar etc, and then when it's supposed to take place, never show up or even inform you that they weren't coming
    - people who get upset when your first priority isn't to say hello to them after getting home from a trip

I could probably think of more, but these are the ones that have stuck in my memory. None of these people remained as my friends for that long after these incidents (that were repeated).

Another, not the same category:
    - when you are always the one sending the first text (I've stopped texting first after noticing this with people, and just like that, I've lost maybe 4 "friends". This one is more a sign of the friendship not being that valued from the other side, or maybe not being viewed as a friendship at all, and for that reason, it's more of a "letting go" and not an actual red flag)

That last one still gets me. Because I don’t want to be a needy pest but I also don’t want to keep score or play games at all.

Yeah, but if I am doing all the work to keep the interaction going... that's a statement. A couple of times I can see but if every interaction begins only because I made the contact, that's a huge red flag and I have to assume that person is not truly interested.

yep yep yep.

learning
  • CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm not really looking for a partner, but red flags can be a general thing with friends as well:

- people who constantly talk about their issues (make them sound massive as well) but refuse to listen to any advice. To them everything is "useless" and their life is just supposed to be hell
    - people that plan out activities, make you put it in the calendar etc, and then when it's supposed to take place, never show up or even inform you that they weren't coming
    - people who get upset when your first priority isn't to say hello to them after getting home from a trip

I could probably think of more, but these are the ones that have stuck in my memory. None of these people remained as my friends for that long after these incidents (that were repeated).

- when you are always the one sending the first text (I've stopped texting first after noticing this with people, and just like that, I've lost maybe 4 "friends". This one is more a sign of the friendship not being that valued from the other side, or maybe not being viewed as a friendship at all, and for that reason, it's more of a "letting go" and not an actual red flag)

That last one still gets me. Because I don’t want to be a needy pest but I also don’t want to keep score or play games at all.

It's a hard balance for sure, but when it seems that I'm the only one trying to keep a connection alive, stepping back and seeing if they reach out is quite a good way to check if they're actually interested.

Maybe this is the reason why I don't have many friends 😅I'm good at giving up on people.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

It's a hard balance for sure, but when it seems that I'm the only one trying to keep a connection alive, stepping back and seeing if they reach out is quite a good way to check if they're actually interested.

Maybe this is the reason why I don't have many friends 😅I'm good at giving up on people.

I’ve been accused of that.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    When you consistently take more from a relationship than you give to it.

I get that we all have bad days/weeks/whatever where we need a bit more or don't have as much to give... but if there's not some semblance of balance over time, then I'm over it. And no relationship is exempt from that.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

I don't think its "giving up", if they were never really interested in the first place.... more like making room for better friends. haha
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Yeah, but if I am doing all the work to keep the interaction going... that's a statement. A couple of times I can see but if every interaction begins only because I made the contact, that's a huge red flag and I have to assume that person is not truly interested.

Or maybe just not a morning person?
  • GymGoddessGoals
    GymGoddessGoals Posts: 2,146 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »

Sorry, I'm not a morning person and I still don't see your connection.
  • jjpptt2
    Options

Only that if you wake up every day at 7am raring to go, and the other person wakes up at 10 and can't function until they've had coffee, the sheer nature of the difference schedules/preferences will make you more apt to initiate conversation most days.

• CitrusMaiden
    CitrusMaiden Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »

I don't think its "giving up", if they were never really interested in the first place.... more like making room for better friends. haha

That's one way to see it! 😁I'm generally quite good at leaving people behind when I realise that they're not good energy, but I think that's because I don't get attached easily (I can honestly only remember one person, that wasn't family, that I have gotten attached to, and that built up between age 8-12). It's a blessing and a curse, but as an optimistic, introverted loner, it's probably more of a blessing.
  • jjpptt2
    Options
    tinak33 wrote: »

That's one way to see it! 😁I'm generally quite good at leaving people behind when I realise that they're not good energy, but I think that's because I don't get attached easily (I can honestly only remember one person, that wasn't family, that I have gotten attached to, and that built up between age 8-12). It's a blessing and a curse, but as an optimistic, introverted loner, it's probably more of a blessing.

I tend to be the same, except for the optimistic part.

I spent far too long being far to attached to the wrong people. Now I tend to be more distant and self-contained. It can be pretty lonely at times, but it's better than the alternative.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    edited September 2019
    Options

oh no there’s so many other reasons people could be not texting u back or not texting first

they could be overwhelmed with work & life or if they are depressed or got anxiety they could be afraid of being a burden or withdrawing in general

like if u dont feel happy with someone or dont like talking to them, then ya dont reach out but tit-for-tat in who sends messages or calls first is dumb imo
    this is what makes me nervous because if people say “yes, it’s fine, i like hearing from you” but then don’t at least match my effort some of the time i think they’re just being polite or are afraid to tell the truth or whatever.

eta: and i’m saying that as someone who is in the middle of withdrawing as we speak and trying hard not to
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options

Only that if you wake up every day at 7am raring to go, and the other person wakes up at 10 and can't function until they've had coffee, the sheer nature of the difference schedules/preferences will make you more apt to initiate conversation most days.

Again, if I am beginning "every" interaction regardless of the time of day then you certainly cannot expect me to continue doing so. Not being a morning person has nothing to do with my statements.
  • jjpptt2
    edited September 2019
    Options

Again, if I am beginning "every" interaction regardless of the time of day then you certainly cannot expect me to continue doing so. Not being a morning person has nothing to do with my statements.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm not making my point well, or if I'm missing the bigger issue.

My point was simply that there are a number of circumstances that could lead to one person being far more apt to initiate conversation far more often than the other. The morning person thing was just one such example, but there are lots of reasons why it might happen that have nothing to do with affection or strength of the relationship.

But I agree that if it's ALWAYS one person ALL OF THE TIME, then that's probably not a good sign. Either the other person doesn't care as much, or doesn't have as much time/energy to put into the relationship.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    when ole girl want them texts ASAP first thing in the morning- ya'll know what it means

it's okay guys, i see ya'll out there nodding your heads in agreement you ain't got to say nothing we all been there before.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    iMago wrote: »
    when ole girl want them texts ASAP first thing in the morning- ya'll know what it means

it's okay guys, i see ya'll out there nodding your heads in agreement you ain't got to say nothing we all been there before.

it means we LIKE you like you
  • GymGoddessGoals
    Options

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm not making my point well, or if I'm missing the bigger issue.

My point was simply that there are a number of circumstances that could lead to one person being far more apt to initiate conversation far more often than the other. The morning person thing was just one such example, but there are lots of reasons why it might happen that have nothing to do with affection or strength of the relationship.

But I agree that if it's ALWAYS one person ALL OF THE TIME, then that's probably not a good sign. Either the other person doesn't care as much, or doesn't have as much time/energy to put into the relationship.

I completely get your point. My point is aside of any number of circumstance as you state; its a red flag if every time, always, all of the time, its a one sided initiation of interaction.
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options

oh no there’s so many other reasons people could be not texting u back or not texting first

they could be overwhelmed with work & life or if they are depressed or got anxiety they could be afraid of being a burden or withdrawing in general

like if u dont feel happy with someone or dont like talking to them, then ya dont reach out but tit-for-tat in who sends messages or calls first is dumb imo

I certainly understand this. We all go through this. And I wouldn't say that I am tit-for-tat on the subject. However, it is easily noticeable when a person is never the first to reach out. There is generally some give and take in any relationship.

I usually walk away when it's someone I am dating and it's been 3 weeks of me always being the one reaching out and him only responding when I do, but always having excuses to not see me. (this happened to me twice this year....)
    For a friend, I will give it a few months to see if this is just bad timing or the normal behavior. After a few months, if I am the only one initiating anything, I'm out. It's too much work for someone who apparently isn't interested.

• mattig89ch
    mattig89ch Posts: 2,648 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    mattig89ch wrote: »
    The one red flag I've figured out, is her expecting to be treated like a queen from the go. I'm a believer in equality. So expecting me to hold a door, or pay for the meal, ect. is a giant red flag for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't do these things. just, going into something, expecting the other person to owe you something, is a big no no for me.

I expect this.

Yep, is why I've tried to avoid flirting with you. Your cute, but we're def not compatible. :)

Wow. Lol.

What?
    The one red flag I've figured out, is her expecting to be treated like a queen from the go. I'm a believer in equality. So expecting me to hold a door, or pay for the meal, ect. is a giant red flag for me. I'm not saying I wouldn't do these things. just, going into something, expecting the other person to owe you something, is a big no no for me.

I expect this.

At the risk of sounding seriously old-fashioned and maybe even sexist, I do too.

I think for a lot of women it is just a basic expectation in dating especially in those earliest stages. Almost like a self-esteem thing, as sometimes it seems when you split everything or pick up the tab as a woman on Dates 1-3 you're opening the door for freeloading types of guys. I guess it may come across as feeling "owed" something to refuse to accept that sort of thing.

Just my opinion...but I think the red flag would be a woman who expects the man she is dating to pay for all of her things when shopping, buy expensive gifts, or pay the majority of bills when moving in together, serious stuff like that. By the time the couple is exclusive I think most women are more than willing to start paying for some things on dates and aren't gonna lose their minds if the guy doesn't open their door.

I expect this.

At the risk of sounding seriously old-fashioned and maybe even sexist, I do too.

I think for a lot of women it is just a basic expectation in dating especially in those earliest stages. Almost like a self-esteem thing, as sometimes it seems when you split everything or pick up the tab as a woman on Dates 1-3 you're opening the door for freeloading types of guys. Other women just refuse to accept that sort of thing.

Just my opinion...but I think the red flag would be a woman who expects the man she is dating to pay for all of her things when shopping, buy expensive gifts, or pay the majority of bills when moving in together, serious stuff like that.

I agree with everything you said. I’ve agreed to pay on dates before and they were sometimes offended. Never did they take me up on this offer until further in the relationship.

I’m kind of old fashion too. I think opening the door for me is sweet, paying for meal is what I’ve always know. I don’t expect it, but it’s nice.

Huh...maybe this is a NY cultural thing then? Cause I've talked to more then a few local couples, and the first date, they either paid for themselves, or found a way to equate the balance of payment somehow. Guy buys tickets to the movie, girl buys snacks. Or one gets dinner the first time out, the other gets dinner the second time out. That sort of thing. Plus I've seen more then a few women hold open the door for their male counterparts around me. Normally, its who reaches the door first. Married, dating, or single.