October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Running by feel...Once you lock in a steady cycle of movements your body automatically optimizes the energy flows, the movements and so on....

I really do appreciate this group. Y'all are all such an inspiration. I'm a complete newbie...still working on C25K (and right on schedule)...but I've been thinking about cadence a lot, since I read somewhere that people should run at 180. Is that a hard-and-fast rule? What is a good way to find out what my cadence is? And how do I improve it?

To get your cadence without the help of technology (like a foot pod), you need to count how many strides you take while timing yourself. If you count say 90 strides in 30 seconds, that would be 180 strides per minute.

It would be best to do this several times and average the results.

No. The 180 "rule" is not a rule at all. It is, however, an often greatly abused stat. I would not worry about it in your case. You are still early in the c25k training. Focus on your form, and completing the workouts. Good form and consistent workouts will improve all your stats with time, so that is where you should apply your focus.

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Well done @Lazy_bones_85!
  • durhammfp
    durhammfp Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    durhammfp wrote: »
    Running by feel...Once you lock in a steady cycle of movements your body automatically optimizes the energy flows, the movements and so on....

I really do appreciate this group. Y'all are all such an inspiration. I'm a complete newbie...still working on C25K (and right on schedule)...but I've been thinking about cadence a lot, since I read somewhere that people should run at 180. Is that a hard-and-fast rule? What is a good way to find out what my cadence is? And how do I improve it?

To get your cadence without the help of technology (like a foot pod), you need to count how many strides you take while timing yourself. If you count say 90 strides in 30 seconds, that would be 180 strides per minute.

It would be best to do this several times and average the results.

No. The 180 "rule" is not a rule at all. It is, however, an often greatly abused stat. I would not worry about it in your case. You are still early in the c25k training. Focus on your form, and completing the workouts. Good form and consistent workouts will improve all your stats with time, so that is where you should apply your focus.

Thanks for the encouragement. Mostly I have been concentrating on my posture (trying to keep face forward, not down), on how to land on my midfoot, and on my breathing (four breaths in/four out in time with my feet)... oh, also, on trying to make sure my shoulders are not too tight. I feel like my brain is pretty busy now as it is, so I'm glad to hear your advice on this.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    @chris_in_cal Re: other racers running start and stop. I have the worst luck with running races stuck next to a 12 year old boy.

I really appreciate you understanding what I was ranting about. I too have had the 'kid' sprint/pass/stop thing. The main person I was reflecting on was a 60 year old man/child. Here's to keeping focus and having good runs. 🍺

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    8.15 today

50.6/72-90 miles
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more @chris_in_cal and @rheddmobile and that clomp, clomp of the teenager on the park run I do only to pass him before the clomp, clomp returns 60 seconds later, time after time after time...

You really have got a lot going on @durhammfp, not sure how you land mid-foot? I cannot do 4 step breathing at this stage though I have tried. Maybe this will come eventually.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'll be making goal this month, due to taking extra recovery for my quad. It was worth it though.
    October goal 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Oct. 26 - Botanical Autumn 5k
    Oct. 27 - Lublin Half Marathon

Today's 6k run felt great. I had to sprint back home (with kiddo on her bike), because we got to school and realized she forgot her entire bookbag and was now going to be late. After she was dropped off, I did slow down, but was still comfortable at a slightly faster pace and just went with it. I'll credit Saturday's harder effort on the 5k. I'm feeling kinda nervous and undertrained for the half this weekend, but I'm probably actually just fine. Goal is to finish feeling good, and be able to keep running next week.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Ok my take on the people running past you then stopping thing....

This isn't actually people trying to annoy you on purpose, or target you, or fly on your race. It's called the Galloway run-walk-run method and is widely used by thousands and thousands of people, including myself, who find that it allows them to continue to run when they otherwise would not be able to. It is NOT personal, and they are NOT doing it just to piss you off. While a few may lack the manners and/or knowledge of race etiquette to realise they may be annoying other runners by slowing down in front of them, most will be wearing a sign on their back or T-shirt or something to notify others that they run-walk-run, and as well as staying to one side will usually raise their hand to show their intention to slow down before they do so.
    I've never raced anywhere where the path was so narrow everyone had to run right in each others' tracks, so maybe that's why I don't get exactly why anyone would be right behind someone and likely to crash into them if they slow down anyway, but if I do ever find myself in that situation I will try to remember how much I'm going to piss everyone else off by targeting them. Because of course, I'm not just another runner doing my own thing and minding my own business :-)

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    As I am at a slow pace I have to ignore the quicker runners @Teresa502 though my first runs started too quickly following others. I have generally found a pace now. The tough times are when I am on a solo run and someone comes past me and my competitive nature kicks in and wants me to chase them down.

Now to sort out why I get a pain in my shoulder as soon as I start running.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,440 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic great race report(s)! Congratulations on completing the two HMs back-to-back challenge. That takes a lot of physical and mental strength to get through. And you even came very close to getting a PR in the first one. You are a beast!!