October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Running by feel... So here is a chart from my 13.1 mile run today:

uk78iarxowow.png

The RED line his heartbeat, the BLUE is pace, and the PURPLE is cadence. Now if you ignore the sharp drops in cadence (those were waiting at traffic lights and such) you will note that while my PACE varied +/- 30 seconds easy (a bit more at times), and my HR varied up and down, my cadence stayed pretty solid at 174. (I use a foot pod, so that is real cadence, not estimated).

I show this because we as a community tend to focus on pace, and pace is important if you want to hit a specific time, but cadence is another factor to play with. If you shorten/lengthen your stride a bit to match the terrain, you can keep your effort relatively stable throughout the run, and that tends to allow you to run farther. The thing is your body likes to be in a steady-state. Once you lock in a steady cycle of movements your body automatically optimizes the energy flows, the movements and so on.

Running at a specific pace means you are constantly changing how hard/easy your run is based on the environment and it is harder to optimize under those conditions. Running to keep the same feel means your pace bounces all around, but your cadence levels out and you likely can go farther.

It is just another way to look at running. Not necessarily better, just another option.

Dude, your cadence is hella consistent! Also interesting watching your HR climb in the last third of your run, while your pace and cadence remain the same. Was there a difference in how it felt at that point?

No. The only thing I can think of that is on the way back when I am around people again instead of a nearly empty public park. :D:D
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,654 Member

uk78iarxowow.png

The RED line his heartbeat, the BLUE is pace, and the PURPLE is cadence. Now if you ignore the sharp drops in cadence (those were waiting at traffic lights and such) you will note that while my PACE varied +/- 30 seconds easy (a bit more at times), and my HR varied up and down, my cadence stayed pretty solid at 174. (I use a foot pod, so that is real cadence, not estimated).

I show this because we as a community tend to focus on pace, and pace is important if you want to hit a specific time, but cadence is another factor to play with. If you shorten/lengthen your stride a bit to match the terrain, you can keep your effort relatively stable throughout the run, and that tends to allow you to run farther. The thing is your body likes to be in a steady-state. Once you lock in a steady cycle of movements your body automatically optimizes the energy flows, the movements and so on.

Running at a specific pace means you are constantly changing how hard/easy your run is based on the environment and it is harder to optimize under those conditions. Running to keep the same feel means your pace bounces all around, but your cadence levels out and you likely can go farther.

It is just another way to look at running. Not necessarily better, just another option.

Dude, your cadence is hella consistent! Also interesting watching your HR climb in the last third of your run, while your pace and cadence remain the same. Was there a difference in how it felt at that point?

No. The only thing I can think of that is on the way back when I am around people again instead of a nearly empty public park. :D:D

Yuck! People! lol

• PastorVincent
    Well done @polskagirl01 that looks like a lovely place to run!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Great job, @polskagirl01!!!! I'll celebrate your achievement by having some kiszka for lunch!!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,385 Member
    Congratulations @polskagirl01! The race looks beautiful and sounds like the whole family had a great time!
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,901 Member
    @Avidkeo wrote: »

@AlphaHowls I wanted to give your post an inspiring, like and a hug. I went with hug cause you sounded like you needed that more!

Thank you!

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,522 Member
    Have a great day @TavistockToad
    vd0bqccunbwf.jpg
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I'm hanging out to hear how @ContraryMaryMary went!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Hi all - need to get to bed so will report back tomorrow, but finished the Kansas City Half Marathon today. It was rainy and kind of miserable, and a little hillier (ok a lot hillier) than I expected. I managed to finish in my second best half marathon time, and Garmin tells me a 10k PR. Given the conditions I'm very happy with that.

We had a 3-hour drive to Des Moines, did the expo and dinner. It's hard to believe I have to get up and do that again tomorrow! Fortunately, the weather looks much nicer, and the course is supposed to be pretty flat. I don't have any time goals other than just to keep moving and finish.

Congrats on your second best time and good luck tomorrow!
  • PastorVincent

uk78iarxowow.png

I have done a dozen marathons and ultras and still struggle to keep anything consistent... pace, HR, cadence. I keep thinking I should just bite the bullet and use the Galloway method intentionally instead of haphazardly because I can't keep going.

Today's run was especially sucky. I did not get out until way too late and it was hot (70's, so could be much worse). I kept noticing my HR was way too high for my speed and I ended up walking quite a bit. Cut the miles short from 20 to 16.3-ish. Garmin knocked me down 1 on the VO2 Max estimate.

I have been quite discouraged with running lately. I have a bunch of marathons planned, so I will keep up with it for those. But my discouragement has been mostly on speed. It just seems like I am so much slower than everyone. I keep trying to figure it out... maybe I can cut weight, but that will only get me so far. Maybe I can add weight lifting, but still limited.

I keep seeing people who are older, heavier, and with fewer training miles running their first marathon on less time than my PR. It isn't random either... it is damn near everyone. :( People keep telling me I can do it and sharing their own personal stories where they cut an hour or more from their first marathon time to BQ. Ok, but I need to cut more than 3 hrs. to be that fast. You can't think I will end up at the same place by taking the same path if I started in a very different place. I know comparison is the thief of joy... but it is becoming impossible to not compare and it is stealing my joy anyway.

I got a new computer and will need to build a new ticker I think... will do that when I get home.

So, how many of these people you are comparing yourself to contend with 200 point blood sugar swings in the middle of a marathon?

My husband says to tell you that he’s amazed at how many marathons you have completed! You are a rockstar, don’t you forget it.

It seems to me that if you ever get your equipment and fueling under control, things will get a lot easier. You’re not that slow! Plus, anyone would be fed up with running after the summer we’ve had here. It’s difficult to get training miles under your belt when all anyone can stand to do is lie up under the porch with your tongue hanging out like a big old dog.

Listen to @rheddmobile. She speaks wisdom.