October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice here!

I have my next half on Sunday so today (Friday) is the very important day in the race prep that involves eating lots and lots (yay!). Saturday is largely about drinking lots and lots... of water.

I'm really looking forward to this event as it is the one race I run each year and can accurately (as is possible with weather and 15,000 other runners on course) track my performance year on year. Last year I had a blinder and recorded a PB, which was amazing as this is a fairly hilly course. I've yet to beat that and I have a whole lot of (self-inflicted) pressure to run a similar or better time.

Problem is, I've been running a lot of half races this year - four in the last 12 weeks to be precise - and although I held myself back in the last one, I fear I may have overcooked myself. I've been to the osteo and massage therapist this week and my legs are feeling much better, also, only had two short runs and no more, so hopefully I'll wake on Sunday as a box of birds (which is a really odd expression when you write it down).

Time will tell. Wish me luck.

Wow that's come quick! Good luck and enjoy it. I hope the weather is good!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @shanaber yay excellent news about hobbes!

I did a 4k run this morning, followed by a lower body workout.

I've gone completely against the usual guide of 10% increase each week and have gone from about 12k per week to over 20... I was there a year ago but there are good reasons you shouldn't increase this fast! My legs are tired and tight and my knees are complaining today.

Probably going to cutback a little next week, no sudden long runs! At least no longer than what I've already done haha. I want to keep what I've got!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @shanaber superb news! So glad!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Steps Jalk miles Jog miles Cycle Miles
    01-Oct 12,750 3.19 3.15 -
    02-Oct 7,750 3.00 - -
    03-Oct 9,887 4.69 - -
    04-Oct 1,865 0.99 - 20.85
    05-Oct 9,276 1.76 3.19 3.96
    06-Oct 6,167 1.21 - 9.38
    07-Oct 6,607 3.53 - 13.16
    08-Oct 12,340 4.25 3.05 11.34
    09-Oct 10,599 5.84 - 16.86
    10-Oct 12,199 4.06 3.18 -
    11-Oct 9,539 5.18 - -
    12-Oct 23,353 9.43 3.17 7.15
    13-Oct 13,994 1.62 6.40 -
    14-Oct 8,070 4.32 - 3.10
    15-Oct 17,341 4.06 6.35 8.64
    16-Oct 2,338 1.16 - 21.31
    17-Oct 10,589 5.56 - -
    lap4n0rdy0n5.png

@shanaber good news on your running partner, there are lots of good doggos on my park run and they all go quicker than me!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,969 Member
    Options
    I'm behind on this thread again. Will try to catch up later. I've been planning for a spontaneous weekend trip to West VA for Bridge Day at New River Gorge. My friend, who is the park manager there, invited me to come up. I'm just going to watch the base jumpers, not join in. I was looking at the website last night and noticed there is a 5K associated with the event. Wish I had known that in time to sign up. Maybe next year, if I decide to go back, I'll plan better.
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Lazy_Bones_85 Very cool pics! And 306 laps, turning right all the time?! That's commitment! But couldn't you have changed directions each mile or so to help even things out? Maybe it was a one-way only track, I don't know, I've never been on a ship with a track.
    Maybe I'll see you in Peachtree City on Saturday? :#

Are you bringing a snorkel for tomorrow?
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @Lazy_Bones_85 - That is one of our planned future trips but going all the way to Budapest! Your pictures make me want to go now!! So beautiful. I cannot imagine running all of those little laps though. I think I would just take a break from running, well maybe...

We took AMA Waterways and we loved it. From other people who have cruised with other companies, they said AMA was much better than Viking, Uniworld, and Avalon. We want to to a Danube cruise too but do some research about the best time of year to go. If the water levels in the river are too high or too low, you might have to change ships during the cruise. My friend's parents had to change ships 3 times over a 7 day period because of heavy rain and too high of water levels- the ship couldn't fit under the bridges. But definitely do it. It was vastly different from doing a ocean cruise.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Yay for hobbes @shanaber
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Options
    In other news I got the pathology reports back on my running buddy. All is well - the 2 larger tumors were lipomas (fatty tumors) and the small one was a benign growth but the vet said it was good we got it off now. The best news is NO MCT!! Yay!
    Now to just try to keep him calm and quiet for the next week until the stitches come out... pretty much impossible![/quote]

So happy you had good news regarding your buddy!!! My cat also has a fatty tumor on her left leg and I was worried sick last spring while waiting for the pathology report to hear if it was injection site sarcoma or not.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I got out for a 9 mile run this morning. Temp was 35F. I wore capris and a long sleeve tech shirt. My hands were cold for the first 1 ½ so I could have used some gloves. My core also got cold. I have a couple of light-weight vests which would have been perfect had I remembered to wear one! I ran 3 miles solo then met a couple of friends at the Y, ran 4 miles with them, and then finished out by myself.

Good luck @ContraryMaryMary, @Scott6255, @polskagirl01, @katharmonic and anyone else racing this weekend! Hope you all have FUN!

@shanaber – great news for Hobbes! Nice shoes too!

Welcome @TheMrWobbly! Great goals!

@quilteryoyo – The Bridge Day popped up on my FB page this week. I hope the weather is great!

@Camaramandy648 – Sorry no helpful breathing tips here. I just try to stay upright and breathe!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Happy Hobbes Day!!!!

I'd so love to give your buddy a hug, but the stitches wouldn't stay in long as we'd both get over-excited.