October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options
15052545556

Replies

  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    saturday was the MKE hot cider hustle. i think, there were close to 1800 people doing the 5k. i do this race for the swag. they always have good stuff. no PR but that wasn't to be expected.
    i hate that first mile, mile and a half. but i kept pushing till i hit the comfy phase. the scenery was beautiful. there were lots of inexperienced runners and random walkers blocking the path. the course was mostly flat. one water station.
    I was a little stiff when i started for some reason but loosened up and felt comfortable with the three miles. i had plenty of gas left in the tank and no tweaky knees to sprint to the finish.
    overall, an uneventful race and that is just fine with me.
    cjinlf6wn5jl.png
    knzzleb59z57.png
    gpn7dzsrmtug.png
    bfux0ie7wnpr.png
    o3imv5cnf3c7.png

    Looks like a lovely race!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I just read Part 2 of my RR. Please forgive me for my typos and poor grammar. Quite embarrassing, but it was after 2AM when I posted it.
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Congratulations on your 50K PR @7lenny7 ! Well done! My only question is how did the guy in the tie and black pants stay so clean?

    That IS an excellent question and I have no idea. I wish I would have thought to ask him. He must be far more coordinated than I am.

    @mbaker566 that is a beautiful course! Nice job!

    @scott6255 take care of those matchsticks and get back to full speed soon! Any idea what causes this every year?

    @Tramboman do you have anyone who can analyze your swing?
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Great pictures! Looks like a beautiful course to run a race!

    @7lenny7 no, have no idea what causes my leg pain every year around this time (if I did, I hope I would be smart enough to prevent it 😏). Must be a bio-mechanical issue, or just a slow progression of micro injuries over the coarse of the summer beatings. I run 100% on the road, but have 3 different shoes in rotation and run several different routes to help mitigate the repetitiveness. I dunno.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    overall, an uneventful race and that is just fine with me.

    Congratulations! Beautiful course scenery!
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Hey all - I'm Audrey. I used to post infrequently in this group a couple of years back and then had a series of unfortunate events and wasn't running for quite some time. Getting back into it, and was going to join in for the November thread, but I have been reading your posts for the past week or so.

    Figured I'd jump in on @Elise4270's question. I'd recommend looking into what's called The Blue Zone Diet - and that's diet as in a way of eating, not as in something to do until you lose weight/etc. It looks at various areas of the world that have the highest concentration of 100+ year old people. What they found is a mostly Whole Food, Plant Based (WFPB) diet with some meat - mostly fish. Okinawa is the place where most people think about this kind of eating (the older Okinawan diet, as they've become more "Westernized" since WWII).
    WFPB is different from Vegan though they share some characteristics - the biggest way to describe the difference is that something like Oreos are Vegan, but they are not WFPB. Paleo shares some characteristics, just a different focus on what the main food group is (animal product vs. plant product but still fresh, whole foods - usually). It may be why some diets seem so extreme in differences but have similar outcomes for healthier lives.

    It's an interesting idea and one I've discussed with a mentor quite a bit as we're both interested in nutrition and how it relates to health and fitness.
    It's how I eat for the most part right now. I eat mainly plant based at home (my fiancee refuses to give up cheese, though I haven't asked her to give up anything; but if she makes something with cheese I eat it too, because, cheese, ya know? haha). I eat fish at home maybe once a week, mostly only when I go out to eat. I do eat chicken/turkey when eating out on occasion, but I stay away from red meat and pork. That's mainly because I don't like the idea of eating it and likely have a bit of IBS and don't feel well when I eat those things. I've definitely been variations of vegetarian and vegan and have definitely been a junk-food vegan in the past. I'm way healthier (though obese currently) eating mostly WFPB with some meat/animal products that fairly closely lines up with the Blue Zone way of eating.

    Also, I have been WFPB with no animal products while lifting heavy - you can absolutely get enough protein. There's a reason rice and beans is a staple in many cultures - it's a complete protein. Soy and Quinoa are also complete proteins. And Vitamin B12 actually comes from a bacteria - the reason cows and other animals get it and we struggle is because they eat dirt with their food and we've become way too sanitized in our eating. The bacteria is found in dirt :) Though it's supplemented in a lot of foods we eat (cereal and such). You can also get it in Nutritional Yeast, which is an excellent popcorn topping if you ask me :smiley:
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Wow @7lenny7 - I definitely couldn’t do that kind of distance but the catering offering sounds pretty amazing! Well done again and thanks for an entertaining second instalment.

    I squeezed in a couple more miles today by running to work and back. Only a little bit as today was a strength/cross training day but hopefully it will mean I can hit my target tomorrow. V sore though!!

    10/6: 4.08m
    10/10: 8.3m
    10/12: 3.1m
    10/14: 10.1m
    10/21: 10.05m
    10/25: 6.6m
    10/27: 13.2m
    10/29: 1.21m and 1.17m

    October total: 57.7m
    October goal: 64m

    September total: 82.2m
    August total: 85m
    July total: 90.1m
    June total: 86.1m
    May total: 67.6m
    April total: 71.5m
    March total: 42.9m
    February total: 30.2m
    January total: 31.7m
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Various trail photos
    3ediujg8khzd.jpg
    bkyfazptbhrq.jpg
    rg9d0uilck6k.jpg
    ydbzu1oebu13.jpg

    The mud pit where I lost a shoe
    agk3iidxw46c.jpg

    The aid station in the morning and later in the day.
    v2rhrtqbjmky.jpg
    edcd741k7rpy.jpg
    sqaepixcolwy.jpg


    Me during the race
    The forced smile for the camera
    63e9qjjvaahy.jpg
    At the top of the hardest hill\
    coihb7tagn6y.jpg
    A half way decent photo and the lens flare gets in the way.
    6awwuedopy47.jpg


    Me, post race, including my PEK (Performance Enhancing Kokopelli)
    I guess this is technically during the race. That dazed look...
    kh24ux93usot.jpg
    Chatting with the other runners
    h6k4178g7bq6.jpg
    War wounds
    cn6mjlvux6zl.jpg
    p14eb9e0p91p.jpg

    This is exactly what it looks like. This guy ran the entire 50K in a shirt, tie and long pants!
    11k3kg9cpzhy.jpg
    rwxwsoplov0l.jpg

    The payoff - local craft beer, grilled pizzas, and cozy hoodie
    d6hxpu34hpg7.jpg
    o329uvahvqee.jpg

    Many photos I posted were taken by the race RDs and volunteers. I should give them proper credit but it's late, I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.



    oh my gosh! I LOVE ALL OF THIS SO MUCH! YOU ARE MY HERO! YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION! YOU'RE AMAZING!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 My golfing companions tell me my swing is great. I don't overswing on either my backswing or my throughswing. I think it's just repetitive motion compounded by old age.
    Golf is done for the year, so I can rest the hip until March.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    Guys. Some of you have been doing 50k races, back to back halves, or smashing your 10k pb, but I have just read every post from September 12th to today, so where's my medal?!
    Seriously though, I loved this group in August and September, then all the usual excuses got in the way- work, family visiting, weather, etc. I ran a bit, but not much. However, last week I was back to running four times and doing the bridge to 10k program, and felt so much better for it. And I remembered what a great group this was, so I'm back!

    Welcome back!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ACSL3 wrote: »
    Hey all - I'm Audrey. I used to post infrequently in this group a couple of years back and then had a series of unfortunate events and wasn't running for quite some time. Getting back into it, and was going to join in for the November thread, but I have been reading your posts for the past week or so.

    Figured I'd jump in on @Elise4270's question. I'd recommend looking into what's called The Blue Zone Diet - and that's diet as in a way of eating, not as in something to do until you lose weight/etc. It looks at various areas of the world that have the highest concentration of 100+ year old people. What they found is a mostly Whole Food, Plant Based (WFPB) diet with some meat - mostly fish. Okinawa is the place where most people think about this kind of eating (the older Okinawan diet, as they've become more "Westernized" since WWII).
    WFPB is different from Vegan though they share some characteristics - the biggest way to describe the difference is that something like Oreos are Vegan, but they are not WFPB. Paleo shares some characteristics, just a different focus on what the main food group is (animal product vs. plant product but still fresh, whole foods - usually). It may be why some diets seem so extreme in differences but have similar outcomes for healthier lives.

    It's an interesting idea and one I've discussed with a mentor quite a bit as we're both interested in nutrition and how it relates to health and fitness.
    It's how I eat for the most part right now. I eat mainly plant based at home (my fiancee refuses to give up cheese, though I haven't asked her to give up anything; but if she makes something with cheese I eat it too, because, cheese, ya know? haha). I eat fish at home maybe once a week, mostly only when I go out to eat. I do eat chicken/turkey when eating out on occasion, but I stay away from red meat and pork. That's mainly because I don't like the idea of eating it and likely have a bit of IBS and don't feel well when I eat those things. I've definitely been variations of vegetarian and vegan and have definitely been a junk-food vegan in the past. I'm way healthier (though obese currently) eating mostly WFPB with some meat/animal products that fairly closely lines up with the Blue Zone way of eating.

    Also, I have been WFPB with no animal products while lifting heavy - you can absolutely get enough protein. There's a reason rice and beans is a staple in many cultures - it's a complete protein. Soy and Quinoa are also complete proteins. And Vitamin B12 actually comes from a bacteria - the reason cows and other animals get it and we struggle is because they eat dirt with their food and we've become way too sanitized in our eating. The bacteria is found in dirt :) Though it's supplemented in a lot of foods we eat (cereal and such). You can also get it in Nutritional Yeast, which is an excellent popcorn topping if you ask me :smiley:

    Well, I can’t eat soy, quinoa, rice, or beans without blood glucose spikes, which is why I said no animal products makes it difficult for me to get enough protein. Also, I don’t eat dirt. ;)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    All this talk of dieting got me thinking... so I baked some chocolate chip snickerdoodle cookies. I am calling it carb loading even though my race is not until Saturday. ;)

    Can't start preparing too early.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    JMNagain wrote: »
    Guys. Some of you have been doing 50k races, back to back halves, or smashing your 10k pb, but I have just read every post from September 12th to today, so where's my medal?!
    Seriously though, I loved this group in August and September, then all the usual excuses got in the way- work, family visiting, weather, etc. I ran a bit, but not much. However, last week I was back to running four times and doing the bridge to 10k program, and felt so much better for it. And I remembered what a great group this was, so I'm back!

    zdc9bvwpas1s.png

    :) Welcome back! And way to go getting back to running.

    Also welcome @ACSL3!

    Congrats on your 5k @mbaker566, looks like a lovely run.

    @7lenny7 great race report! Love hearing about your amazing efforts and accomplishments in these endurance races.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Great race report! As usual you are the boss. You also have my admiration for finishing your race report, after my recent 50k I set out to do mine and was so tired it never did get done! I love the spread, all our 24 hr race had was an unmanned water cooler with paper cups and a bowl with a label saying “free fruit”. For real! And we had like 300 racers, compared to 41 at your race, we need to get some of your volunteers down this way!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    I forgot to post my update :)

    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    10/01/19 :::: 4.8 :::: 4.8
    10/02/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 7.8
    10/03/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 7.8
    10/04/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 10.8
    10/05/19 :::: 10.1 :::: 21.0
    10/06/19 :::: 1.0 :::: 22.0
    10/07/19 :::: 2.7 :::: 24.7
    10/08/19 :::: 3.4 :::: 28.1
    10/09/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 31.2
    10/10/19 :::: 2.2 :::: 33.4
    10/11/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 33.4
    10/12/19 :::: 5.1 :::: 38.5
    10/13/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 41.7
    10/14/19 :::: 3.4 :::: 45.1
    10/15/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 45.1
    10/16/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 48.1
    10/17/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 48.1
    10/18/19 :::: 1.2 :::: 49.3
    10/19/19 :::: 13.2 :::: 62.5
    10/20/19 :::: 13.3 :::: 75.8
    10/21/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 75.8
    10/22/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 75.8
    10/23/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 75.8
    10/24/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 75.8
    10/25/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 75.8
    10/26/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 79.4
    10/27/19 :::: 2.5 :::: 82.0
    10/28/19 :::: 1.7 :::: 83.6
    10/29/19 :::: 2.7 :::: 86.3

    Had a chance to get out of work a little early and go for a short run with a friend. It was an absolutely gorgeous fall afternoon. So glad I had a chance to take advantage of it.