October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did not run on my ankle last night but instead did some strength training work. I was exhausted so it felt more like work than it normally does, but of course, I am so glad I did it.

Can we talk about breathing while running though? I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid so I have two inhalers that I rarely use unless I am running. My lungs burn like they are on fire and it feels like they are literally closing.

I'm thinking it's a technique issue. I've read a few different techniques that work for some people, but what works for all of you? Any advice for a runner who can't breathe?

My husband has exercise induced asthma. I’m not sure he has any special insights, though. Have you talked to your doctor about running in particular? He uses his inhaler about 15 minutes before running - it’s easier to avoid an attack than to calm one down that’s already started. He has more trouble when it’s cold and damp, and when he runs faster, so on days the weather isn’t ideal you may want to give speedwork a pass. As far as technique, coughing doesn’t help and tends to irritate your lungs, so try to relax and breathe deeply.

Also, since with asthma sometimes your lungs ARE literally closing, if your asthma isn’t well controlled, make sure you are within reach of help should there be an emergency.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    @girlinahat Ouch! I didn’t know you could sprain your mid foot. I hope you feel better soon!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @girlinahat Oh no. That is almost exactly what just happened to my foot! Mine was more bluish and swollen. It's day 4 and has gotten much better, but the pain is still there.
    I hope yours gets better soon! I feel for you!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Good luck to all the racers this weekend :smile:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I did not run on my ankle last night but instead did some strength training work. I was exhausted so it felt more like work than it normally does, but of course, I am so glad I did it.

Can we talk about breathing while running though? I was diagnosed with asthma as a kid so I have two inhalers that I rarely use unless I am running. My lungs burn like they are on fire and it feels like they are literally closing.

I'm thinking it's a technique issue. I've read a few different techniques that work for some people, but what works for all of you? Any advice for a runner who can't breathe?

My husband has exercise induced asthma. I’m not sure he has any special insights, though. Have you talked to your doctor about running in particular? He uses his inhaler about 15 minutes before running - it’s easier to avoid an attack than to calm one down that’s already started. He has more trouble when it’s cold and damp, and when he runs faster, so on days the weather isn’t ideal you may want to give speedwork a pass. As far as technique, coughing doesn’t help and tends to irritate your lungs, so try to relax and breathe deeply.

Also, since with asthma sometimes your lungs ARE literally closing, if your asthma isn’t well controlled, make sure you are within reach of help should there be an emergency.

One thing that helps my wife is a face mask in the cold weather as it helps heat up the air as it comes in. Like @rheddmobile's husband, my wife says cold makes it worse and she often takes her inhaler before running.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Have you ever done a daily med? I have used advair in the past and it really seemed to help. The other thing that helps is to go slow & build up. I rarely, if ever, even touch my albuterol. I have an inhaler in my pack just in case.

I try not to run on high pollution days or go out as early as I can. I use a buff when it's colder but I hate it so I pull it up and down as needed.

I don't really have any special breathing. When I'm hiking and going up in elevation I will take a break and bend over. For some reason it calms me/my breathing.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    10/1 10.17 miles
    10/2 13.38 miles, 520 days on the run
    10/3 13.48 miles
    10/4 15.13 miles
    10/5 13.33 miles
    10/6 3.4 miles
    10/7 6.35 miles, 525 days on the run
    10/8 13.24 miles
    10/9 13.21 miles
    10/10 13.43 miles
    10/11 13.38 miles
    10/12 15.44 miles, 530 days on the run
    10/13 1.37 miles
    10/14 13.51 miles
    10/15 2.32 miles
    10/16 4.2 miles
    10/17 13.36 miles, 535 days on the run
    10/18 14.32 miles

How are you feeling?
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Have you ever done a daily med? I have used advair in the past and it really seemed to help. The other thing that helps is to go slow & build up. I rarely, if ever, even touch my albuterol. I have an inhaler in my pack just in case.

I try not to run on high pollution days or go out as early as I can. I use a buff when it's colder but I hate it so I pull it up and down as needed.

I don't really have any special breathing. When I'm hiking and going up in elevation I will take a break and bend over. For some reason it calms me/my breathing.

I also use advair daily but only during the colder weather season to control my asthma. I don’t seem to have as much trouble during the warm months (which are plentiful in Houston). I also use my albuterol inhaler 15 minutes before cold weather running and I’ll sometime cover the lower half of my face with a light scarf.

On another note related to asthma I always get a flu shot since flu can have a greater impact on asthmatics.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I also use advair daily but only during the colder weather season to control my asthma. I don’t seem to have as much trouble during the warm months (which are plentiful in Houston). I also use my albuterol inhaler 15 minutes before cold weather running and I’ll sometime cover the lower half of my face with a light scarf.

On another note related to asthma I always get a flu shot since flu can have a greater impact on asthmatics.

Oh yes, I always get my flu shot too.
  • kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Phew all caught up for now!

@zeesparrow I hope your back feels better soon

@martaindale Yay on the distance PR!

@katharmonic Good luck for your double half marathons!!
    shanaber wrote: »
    I agree with all of the discussion on HM and Marathon training runs. The best HM I have run was when I was in that 'always HM ready' shape and was regularly running long runs of 14-16 miles. The 13 miles of the HM did not seem nearly so long then. I am hoping to get back to that point, before my next HM in November and if not then by Surf City in February.

I found the same thing. I ran my fastest HM while I was in the middle of full marathon training. The HM was actually part of a cutback week so it was a shorter distance than I had been running all my past long runs for several weeks. It was mentally easier to race the HM knowing that it was a shorter distance than what I regularly run on a Saturday.

@PastorVincent I basically follow the same approach to my training as your generic template.

I like to switch up my "speed work" day each week depending on how I feel. One week I'll do hill repeats, another will be 400m or 800m intervals, other days fartleks. I've found taking the approach of just doing whatever I feel like on the day for speed work ensures that I will actually do it, rather than dreading it... if I don't feel like doing hills I just do something else.

@shanaber Fantastic news about Hobbes!

@ContraryMaryMary Good luck at the Auckland Marathon on Sunday, I'm sure you'll smash it :)

@girlinahat Ouch! I hope you feel better soon

@Avidkeo I agree - I'll take a rainy run over wind any day.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @HonuNui that poem is beautiful, and seems so fitting. My heart goes out to you.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    Running by feel... So here is a chart from my 13.1 mile run today:

uk78iarxowow.png

The RED line his heartbeat, the BLUE is pace, and the PURPLE is cadence. Now if you ignore the sharp drops in cadence (those were waiting at traffic lights and such) you will note that while my PACE varied +/- 30 seconds easy (a bit more at times), and my HR varied up and down, my cadence stayed pretty solid at 174. (I use a foot pod, so that is real cadence, not estimated).

I show this because we as a community tend to focus on pace, and pace is important if you want to hit a specific time, but cadence is another factor to play with. If you shorten/lengthen your stride a bit to match the terrain, you can keep your effort relatively stable throughout the run, and that tends to allow you to run farther. The thing is your body likes to be in a steady-state. Once you lock in a steady cycle of movements your body automatically optimizes the energy flows, the movements and so on.

Running at a specific pace means you are constantly changing how hard/easy your run is based on the environment and it is harder to optimize under those conditions. Running to keep the same feel means your pace bounces all around, but your cadence levels out and you likely can go farther.

It is just another way to look at running. Not necessarily better, just another option.

Dude, your cadence is hella consistent! Also interesting watching your HR climb in the last third of your run, while your pace and cadence remain the same. Was there a difference in how it felt at that point?