October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    Run time weather was 62 degrees, WONDERFUL.... I see in the forecast this week could get down close to mid 40's.
    Tell me, when do you change your clothes to winter? As a new runner I hear run as it's 20 degrees warmer than it really is. For me, I still run in shorts and t-shirt down to 40 degrees.... under that I start t bundle up.

An appropriately timed question, as my runs earlier this week were in mid to high 50s and now I'm preparing to go out in 33 feels like 22. On the advice of one of the fine winter runners here, I started a spreadsheet last year where I tracked what I wore on my runs by temperature and made comments for future reference, such as today!

I can wear shorts in pretty cold weather - last year I recorded runs in shorts down to the high 30s, but I paired that with a merino running skirt (I call it my butt coat) because my tush gets cold much easier than the rest of me. I can do short sleeves into the 40s but since I usually run around lakes, wind is always a factor in the winter so I usually start wearing a thin windbreaker in the low 50s or high 40s. My race last weekend was in the mid to high 40s and I didn't wear the windbreaker but I did wear arm sleeves, which are probably my favorite piece of gear for when I'm not sure how much warmth I'm going to need. I ended up rolling them up but not taking them off.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Great photo @PastorVincent !

@kjkrentsa Glad you remembered the coyotes before it was too late. That's scary. Congratulations on reaching a "normal BMI!"

@eleanorhawkins Congratulations on your longest run! You are amazing! My longest run so far this go around of running has been a 10K.

@durhammfp Looks like a wonderful place for a run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    This morning, while superhumans were doing amazing stuff, I did my 2nd longest run (well run-walk-run) ever. 11 miles. And it took me over 25 minutes more than it took Kipchoge to run a marathon. Damn, I suck. But you know what? I wasn't properly fuelled or rested, my earphones died 3 miles in and it was muggy and drizzling and I wasn't dressed right, but I still did it. That's enough for me today. If anyone needs me I'll be on the floor in front of the fridge...

I'm the "disagree" because you absolutely don't suck. I heard someone (Kipchoge's coach maybe???) explain the "no human is limited" to mean that no matter where we are, we can always "level up". Your 2nd longest distance covered on foot at one time sure sounds like you're doing just that.

/agree.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,488 Member
    @durhammfp that looks like a great place to run!
  • martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    Lots of distance PR's in the last couple of days! Good job everyone!

@katharmonic I'm glad you're still here and it is absolutely important that people know it's ok to ask for help. I'm sure your running friend appreciates your support.