October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I know it doesn't make your swollen foot better, but it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only idiot out here telling myself it doesn't hurt and everything's fine. I'm still going to judge based on whether or not I can tell I'm limping. Tricky, since my gait has been a little lopsided for as long as I can remember - at least as far back as 6th grade when a friend mentioned it...

@Elise4270 I half remember treating toenail fungus with Apple Cider Vinegar, but it's been too long to recall specifics. I can only offer that I don't really mind losing a toenail - the one I damaged early in September was ready to go by the beginning of this month, and I started this challenge with only 9. I was happy enough to see it go. That's at least a full year before it slowly grows out to a point where I can damage it again! I might feel differently if the actual loss hurt more, but really, all the pain was during that first week when it was all swollen and I was too chicken to deal with it. After I stuck a needle behind my own toenail (my husband commented about that being a standard torture technique) to drain the blister fluid, everything was hunky dory, if a little less aesthetic. I'm here to fully support nail removal.

@shanaber Thanks, but it's my knee that's been acting up, and it's ... mostly behaving - you probably meant to console hamsterwheel6.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 I know it doesn't make your swollen foot better, but it makes me feel a little better to know I'm not the only idiot out here telling myself it doesn't hurt and everything's fine. I'm still going to judge based on whether or not I can tell I'm limping. Tricky, since my gait has been a little lopsided for as long as I can remember - at least as far back as 6th grade when a friend mentioned it...

@Elise4270 I half remember treating toenail fungus with Apple Cider Vinegar, but it's been too long to recall specifics. I can only offer that I don't really mind losing a toenail - the one I damaged early in September was ready to go by the beginning of this month, and I started this challenge with only 9. I was happy enough to see it go. That's at least a full year before it slowly grows out to a point where I can damage it again! I might feel differently if the actual loss hurt more, but really, all the pain was during that first week when it was all swollen and I was too chicken to deal with it. After I stuck a needle behind my own toenail (my husband commented about that being a standard torture technique) to drain the blister fluid, everything was hunky dory, if a little less aesthetic. I'm here to fully support nail removal.

@shanaber Thanks, but it's my knee that's been acting up, and it's ... mostly behaving - you probably meant to console hamsterwheel6.

Nope not the only idiot, lol. I’m definitely limping haha, no way around that.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Have you ever entered a race which used the plastic timing chips which are timed into your shoe lace? I found one at my September HM, picked it up so the original runner would at least get a finish time, even if it was wrong. (turns out it never registered with the timing mat).

I brought it home and took it apart. Here's what it looks like. A small copper coil attached to a microchip. The timing mat energizes the microchip via the copper coil, which then sends a signal to the timing mat with the bib number.

4o7tpyumukcd.jpg

Yes a couple times actually. The last race I was in had those. Cool to see the inside and how they work!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

Anyone ever have a nail fungus? I know it’s gross. But damaged runners toenails are more susceptible to nail fungus. I took oral meds, it tried to kill my liver. So today I have an appointment to either have it removed or do the laser treatment. Anyone have experience? Is the laser worth it? I’m thinking I’m going to just be brave and have it removed.

My sister is currently having laser treatment for a toenail fungus - she says it feels like someone is stabbing her toe a million times with a needle (she has a very high pain tolerance level). She has to have four sessions. Me, I damaged my toenail and it is currently off and starting to regrow. With summer and open toe shoes just a couple of months away, it's going to be an unattractive one for me. I'd err on the more pain keep the nail side personally, and I'm hopeless with pain. Also, having no toenail is uncomfortable in yoga and whenever one of my children stands on my foot, which happens way more often than you'd thing and way more than I'd like.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Actually I think I combined you both into one injury :) This is what happens when I try to go back and forth reading and updating...

@autumnblade75 - hope your knee is feeling better!
    @hamsterwheel6 - hope your foot is better
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Actually I think I combined you both into one injury :) This is what happens when I try to go back and forth reading and updating...

@autumnblade75 - hope your knee is feeling better!
    @hamsterwheel6 - hope your foot is better

Hey thanks! I hope it’s nothing serious...it hurts more now than it did when I twisted it.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270
    i just use athlete's foot cream. i got it at the gym and sometimes it revisits me. though after the "scabies" scare, it hasn't been back
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,975 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 That's a long line for the portapotty! Sounds like you had a decent race AND the puppies! Way too cute! I probably wouldn't have left. Who doesn't love a puppy?!

@hamsterwheel6 Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it is only mild. What kind of Garmin do you have that sends incident reports to your husband? That sounds like a great thing to have.

• hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @mbaker566 That's a long line for the portapotty! Sounds like you had a decent race AND the puppies! Way too cute! I probably wouldn't have left. Who doesn't love a puppy?!

@hamsterwheel6 Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it is only mild. What kind of Garmin do you have that sends incident reports to your husband? That sounds like a great thing to have.

Thanks, I hope so too, though it doesn’t look or feel mild today, will assess tomorrow. I have a 245 Forerunner. It is a great thing to have. This is the second time it’s alerted him (you enter whatever emergency contact you want)..the first was when the instant I popped my calf muscle, and now this sprain. It’s quite accurate, to the moment of the incident. Sends the east coordinates you are at as well if you need to.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Hey y’all,

Anyone ever have a nail fungus? I know it’s gross. But damaged runners toenails are more susceptible to nail fungus. I took oral meds, it tried to kill my liver. So today I have an appointment to either have it removed or do the laser treatment. Anyone have experience? Is the laser worth it? I’m thinking I’m going to just be brave and have it removed.

My wife has. Eventually the only way to beat it, for her, was to go to the docs and do two rounds (each round was like 2 weeks I think) of medication and then wait for the nail to grow out. None of the over the counter or home remedies worked.

YMMV and all that.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @martaindale great 10 mile race. That's the way to get your PR!
    @Tramboman congrats on the AG place! Doesn't matter how many were in your AG, you came out on top!

Beautiful morning with 60F, light wind. Training plan calls for 35 miles this week, but the PTC 15K is this Saturday, so will only get 9 miles in. Needing to make up for that, decided to run 10 miles this morning. Felt terrible the first mile, but body parts loosened up, aches and pains calmed down, and eventually settled into a good rhythm. Wednesday calls for an 11 mile tempo run, but this 'easy' run was only :06/mi slower than that, so should be ok. May have to do a few miles on Thursday when I get to Atlanta. So much for tapering before a race 😒

exercise.png

I ALWAYS try to run like a 5k the day before a big race. If it is a short race, I do not taper at all, but for example the day before the Pittsburgh Marathon, I run the Pittsburgh 5k. The trick is to run it much slower than normal. So say your paces is 10 mins, run at 12 or 13 mins then.

FOR ME I find I am stiff and struggle much more the first mile or 3 if I have not run in the day or 2 leading up to the race.

YMMV of course and I am not a doctor nor trainer, but I have put a lot of miles on my shoes. :)