October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    This morning on the way home from work I had a conversation in my head that went like this:
    "I want to run today - it's been 4 days and I'm losing ground on the Monthly Running Challenge."
    "But my knee..."
    "The knee doesn't hurt. It'll be fine."
    "Really? So why am I limping?"
    "Shut up..."

Anyway, I think I probably shouldn't run until I get the limp sorted out, since I don't trust myself about whether or not it hurts. Which I would seriously question if someone else said something like that. I don't have answers, though. Mostly doesn't hurt. Limping anyway. And then sometimes it hurts. Definitely limping, then. Wish I knew what I'd done, and how to prevent it happening again. Suspect stretching might help. Can't imagine any reason it would be a BAD idea.

I'll run my Brew 5k, too. Hopefully I'll have sorted the limp out by then. I've got nearly a month. But I'm not registering for anything new until it feels better. Ha ha ha. I mean, until I've stopped limping.

I shall commence lurking.

As @PastorVincent would say, I'm not a doctor, but my personal experience with knees that hurt while running and on and off, gradually worsening to the point of having to walk without bending it, turned out to be caused by severely contractured calf and quad muscles. Took plenty of physiotherapy, massage and stretching along with a back-to-basics approach to running. Now my knees start to grumble at me when I'm due another massage or haven't been stretching enough, feels like someone put a metal vice round them and slowly tightens it. I'm currently experimenting with swimming as cross training, seems to be helping loosen the muscles up.
    Try and stretch as much as possible but not if it really hurts!

I'm happy to hear that stretching is the right track, but not likely to start getting massages. Interestingly, my knee twinges more frequently while walking than while running, and when it acts up, I have more trouble straightening it than bending it. So, I'm not sure we're experiencing the same problems. It feels pretty good today, and I didn't catch myself limping, so I'm thinking if nothing happens between now and tomorrow, I'll do a short run to ease back into it. But I did walk up less gradually than usual this morning, because I pointed my toes to stretch and my calf immediately began to cramp. I stopped that stretch and it calmed right down, but I was Awake! And there is certainly muscle tightness. So there's that...

Stretching. Yeah. Probably time to take up Yoga. With ...Adrienne? right? I'll google it.

Yeah,

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I know nothing about her/yoga/etc but that is the one several ppl in this thread recommend.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Oops...

i3z92podjt1u.jpg

Got a mates rates price I couldn't say no to.

Congrats, love new gagets! Have fun with it
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Lucky for me DH always works Saturdays so that's my normal long run day.

I have my first race since I broke my leg and it's on the trail this weekend! Just going for finishing, no PR. No racing. Just a fun, easy trail 5k.

Good Luck!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    and I realized that between the two of us, I was definitely the strange one cause I'd obviously been running for 2 hours and counting. My cold/allergies again weren't too troublesome while I was out, although 21.5k did feel awfully long, but again, now that I'm done, I just want to crash somewhere. But I've got stuff to do, and feel better than yesterday, so moving forward :)

Hahaha You're not weird at all. You're awesome. I hope you are feeling better today.

Agree, not strange at all :smile:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Here we go again... On October 12, Eliud Kipchoge will attempt a sub-2:00 marathon in Vienna, Austria, in a special event called the Ineos 1:59 Challenge.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27376371/eliud-kipchoge-two-hour-marathon-attempt/

I don't understand the fascination with the nice round number of a time of 2:00:00 as if it's some sort of mystical barrier.

Setting a new world record, now that's cool. The fact that it's under a nice round number...meh

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Here we go again... On October 12, Eliud Kipchoge will attempt a sub-2:00 marathon in Vienna, Austria, in a special event called the Ineos 1:59 Challenge.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a27376371/eliud-kipchoge-two-hour-marathon-attempt/

If you ever listen to podcasts, the science of sport has recently done an hour long episode on the 1:59 challenge. Its very informative, has a lot more depth than the article. From the course, the pacesetters and the shoe he is using.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »

I don't understand the fascination with the nice round number of a time of 2:00:00 as if it's some sort of mystical barrier.

Setting a new world record, now that's cool. The fact that it's under a nice round number...meh

Well fine, then he is trying to set a world record of 1:59:59 :tongue:
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options

I just assumed it was because many moons ago they did the race to beat the 4:00 minute mile. *shrugs*
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

Well fine, then he is trying to set a world record of 1:59:59 :tongue:

But it's the 2:00:00 "barrier" he's trying to break, right?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    This morning on the way home from work I had a conversation in my head that went like this:
    "I want to run today - it's been 4 days and I'm losing ground on the Monthly Running Challenge."
    "But my knee..."
    "The knee doesn't hurt. It'll be fine."
    "Really? So why am I limping?"
    "Shut up..."

Anyway, I think I probably shouldn't run until I get the limp sorted out, since I don't trust myself about whether or not it hurts. Which I would seriously question if someone else said something like that. I don't have answers, though. Mostly doesn't hurt. Limping anyway. And then sometimes it hurts. Definitely limping, then. Wish I knew what I'd done, and how to prevent it happening again. Suspect stretching might help. Can't imagine any reason it would be a BAD idea.

I'll run my Brew 5k, too. Hopefully I'll have sorted the limp out by then. I've got nearly a month. But I'm not registering for anything new until it feels better. Ha ha ha. I mean, until I've stopped limping.

I shall commence lurking.

As @PastorVincent would say, I'm not a doctor, but my personal experience with knees that hurt while running and on and off, gradually worsening to the point of having to walk without bending it, turned out to be caused by severely contractured calf and quad muscles. Took plenty of physiotherapy, massage and stretching along with a back-to-basics approach to running. Now my knees start to grumble at me when I'm due another massage or haven't been stretching enough, feels like someone put a metal vice round them and slowly tightens it. I'm currently experimenting with swimming as cross training, seems to be helping loosen the muscles up.
    Try and stretch as much as possible but not if it really hurts!

I'm happy to hear that stretching is the right track, but not likely to start getting massages. Interestingly, my knee twinges more frequently while walking than while running, and when it acts up, I have more trouble straightening it than bending it. So, I'm not sure we're experiencing the same problems. It feels pretty good today, and I didn't catch myself limping, so I'm thinking if nothing happens between now and tomorrow, I'll do a short run to ease back into it. But I did walk up less gradually than usual this morning, because I pointed my toes to stretch and my calf immediately began to cramp. I stopped that stretch and it calmed right down, but I was Awake! And there is certainly muscle tightness. So there's that...

Stretching. Yeah. Probably time to take up Yoga. With ...Adrienne? right? I'll google it.

Yeah,

https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

I know nothing about her/yoga/etc but that is the one several ppl in this thread recommend.

I've not tried yoga with Adrienne. I do Five Parks Yoga on youtube with Erin Sampson and I like her a lot.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @rheddmobile Chicago this weekend is supposed to be 40's and 50's. I hope for a good time.

Thinking back, my 5K PR a d marathon PR were a year ago in Sept. when I lived in Iowa. I am just now realizing that perhaps this was weather related. I am going to tell myself that anyway, because it makes me feel confident about Sunday.

Definitely is. The low 50s is totally PR weather.