October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• kirstymn
    kirstymn Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    @Faebert Fantastic effort on your HM. Love the bling!
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Congrats @polska_girl and @Faebert - excellent running!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 for me, vegan or vegetarian wouldn’t be a good fit, since as a type 2 I already have to limit carbs, and as a weightlifter I have to get lots of protein, and as an anemic person I struggle to get enough iron. I already can’t eat bread or rice or sweets without bg spikes, and most of the easy proteins for vegans such as legumes also spike me. It wouldn’t make sense for me to eliminate lean meat and fish and dairy from my diet and would just add to the list of things I can’t eat.

On the other hand, for someone struggling with cholesterol but with fine blood sugar, vegetarianism might make a lot of sense. I’m not a big fan of the science supporting the vegan diet since any diet which doesn’t provide one of the major vitamins without supplements seems to me to be automatically not a great idea. I also don’t emotionally understand the thinking behind veganism - eat plants which are commercially fertilized by honey bees, but never eat the honey they make, for example. But that’s just me.

Thanks for the share. I agree with the B12 issue. It just shows we need meat in our diets. For me that isn't really an issue, I have part of a faulty/less effective gene and have to supplement B12 anyway. I'm truly on the fence. I just made a pot of veggie chili and it was eat-able. I missed the fat and so wanted to add full fat sour cream... But kitten, I can hang in there until the new year right? (or maybe just til Monday when grab a quarter pounder and a diet DP).

I don't like the politics surrounding vegan or vegetarian. Sure I want to save the planet and it's non-human inhabitants, but... C'mon. Quarter Pounder, turkey, roast? It's hard.

DH is on board. I never asked him to. He said solidarity, right? I said nah man. You give up meat, I'm buying a fat *kitten* steak. I'm doing me, don't care what you eat! Well, I will when I figure out "me".

So yuck. I bought oatmeal. The stuff they feed horses.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all. Managed my half marathon today! It was a gorgeous sunny and v cold day and despite a terrible night’s sleep I decided to go for it. Hamstring was sore on the steeper hills (and there was one really nasty one x 2 lap course!) but I held on and made it through and somehow managed to beat my last half time. I slipped in the mud and fell 100m before the finish line as well but luckily no damage and didn’t lose too much time. Thrilled to have done it at sub 10 minute mile pace! Total time was 2:08.59. rrymb4t9jmen.jpeg

Having surgery in early December so this will be my last race before a long break. Having only started running last December I decided to try for a half in June and my goal then was to just to finish! Doing a second one feels extra special because I have proved to myself that I can do more than I think. Hope I can remember this when I’m recovering from the surgery and trying to get fit again. (It’s a preventative double mastectomy and reconstruction so I will be laid up for a while).

10/6: 4.08m
    10/10: 8.3m
    10/12: 3.1m
    10/14: 10.1m
    10/21: 10.05m
    10/25: 6.6m
    10/27: 13.2m

October total: 55.3m
    October goal: 64m

September total: 82.2m
    August total: 85m
    July total: 90.1m
    June total: 86.1m
    May total: 67.6m
    April total: 71.5m
    March total: 42.9m
    February total: 30.2m
    January total: 31.7m

Well done!!!!!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    @polskagirl01 like the medal and the top! Congrats. Jealous also of you feeling fine after your double race weekend! I’m not walking with ease this evening and slightly dreading a full day teaching tomorrow...

Great job on your race!!! And best wishes on the surgery coming up. Hopefully you can get in a lot of running before then :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,995 Member
    Options
    Great job on your races @polskagirl01 and @Faebert!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @polskagirl01 and @Faebert!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Faebert great job on your HM and beating your goal time! Yes you are strong, and can do more than you think! 💪

This! Well done!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    October Goal: don't rage quit

10/1 rest
    10/2 3.00
    10/3 2.50
    10/4 rest
    10/5 2.10
    10/6 stupid
    10/7 old
    10/8 woman
    10/9 age
    10/10 related
    10/11 gut
    10/12 issues
    10/13 turtlepics
    10/14 2.00
    10/15 still cautious
    10/16 3.50
    10/17 Would have been Steve's 42nd birthday. Looked at lots of pictures...
    10/18 3.00
    10/19 meh
    10/20 more meh
    10/21 snorkel 3 hours
    10/22 3.30
    10/23 2.60
    10/24 rest
    10/25 2.50
    10/26 worksuck
    10/27 3.50

Total : 29.00

Wait!Wait! Don't Tell Me! has a "Listener Bluff" segment: this week it was decide which is the true running story....

Upcoming races:
    Revel Kulia Half Marathon 1/18/20

Ticker is my goal for 2019 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    HonuNui wrote: »

Wait!Wait! Don't Tell Me! has a "Listener Bluff" segment: this week it was decide which is the true running story....

Thanks for sharing - I love Wait! Wait! and this was a good one. I really wanted the other stories to be true though :)

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,007 Member
    Options
    @zeesparrow That is so cool. It's almost my longest run this year. I did do a 10K in July, but I wasn't really ready to do that. Today was much easier. The July run being on a hard trail, outside, in the heat could have had something to do with that too. ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Thanks for sharing - I love Wait! Wait! and this was a good one. I really wanted the other stories to be true though :)

Oh, I will have to check that out. I do not often get to catch that show.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Ha! Yes. I easily picked out the real one but was kind of hoping one of the others was true. Details in spoiler just in case...
    I really want the flash mobe one to be true honestly. That would have been great.
  • Teresa502
    Options

I heard this episode on Saturday. Wish I could say I picked the right one but I didn't!
  • Teresa502
    Options
    October Goal 100 miles

October 2 – 5.18 miles
    October 4 – 10.7 miles
    October 7 – 4.01 miles
    October 8 – 4.51 miles
    October 9 – 5 miles
    October 11 – 12 miles
    October 14 – 5.16 miles
    October 16 – 5.01 miles
    October 18 – 9.08 miles
    October 21 – 4.0 miles
    October 23 – 5.06 miles
    October 26 – 11.40 miles
    October 28 – 5.03 miles
    Total – 86.14 miles

It started raining around mile 8 of Saturday's long run but it wasn't too chilly so it felt fine. This morning was a nice 47F and my long sleeve tech shirt and capris were just right. Going to fall short of my goal this month. I could push it and work another run in this week but I have my bootcamp post-test tomorrow afternoon and a 10 mile race on Sunday so I'm having a hard time convincing myself to do so. I'm pretty sure the world will keep turning if I don't make my MFP mileage goal....