WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,735 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    I am trying to type with a dog in my lap sitting up.
    was out running errands and now I need a 9 volt battery..so I will run down to family dollar might take the pooch for a ride... got a pedicure for the wedding.. and I wasn'r going to wear them but the heck with it im wearing lulu roe leggings with a fancy shirt and sandals that I found at goodwill.. have everything packed.. trying to hang a plant hook in the ceiling messed that up , so will work on it tomorrow.. not gonna sweat it
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the stories too.

I'm also glad that so many of you sleep separately from your significant others. I have always thought there was nothing wrong with it. My grandparents had separate rooms (he snored). My friends have separate rooms (he has a CPAP and it's too obnoxious for her). I sometimes sleep in the guest room if I am not feeling well, if he isn't, if I get hot, or if I just feel restless for some reason. I find nothing wrong with it. We both sleep better separately, but he won't go for it permanently, which baffles me. I like the idea of a king made of two twins. We do have separate blankets and that has helped.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kathleen ~ Thanks for telling us about what you have gone through with your son and your accidents. I hope you will be able to get the judge to grant you the help you need.

Rebecca ~ This too will pass! :) So sorry you are feeling the loss of communication with your son and know you miss the older son being gone.

Kim ~ So sorry to hear about the power company...you certainly have a right to be furious.

Rori ~ Heart goes out to you as you continue to look after your husband. You are to be greatly commended.

Carol in GA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,504 Member
    Options
    NYKaren Huzzah, the crowd DOES go WILD!
    Katla vaguely remember a story about a pioneer woman in the frozen north who kept her sourdough starter alive in a leather pouch on a thong nestled between her breasts. ;)
    Heather kudos to your DH for persisting with the dancing. Well done of him and amazing love gift to you.
    Lisa “certified to protect human research subjects”? From the effects of the research???
    Lanette “Now we have our own cycles for everything it seems. “ Same here. We sleep n one queensized bed with a 25 lb terrier princess who can take more than her fair share. We do have separate bathrooms and closets. Our sleep schedules are wildly different, and mine varies day to day, but fortunately Joe isn't bothered when I have the reading light on. Yes there is snoring, (both of us) but it only wakes me up when it stops. I'm sure Joe has sleep apnea but he absolutely refuses to be tested. Fortunatety it improved vastly when he quit smoking and continues to improve as he loses weight.
    Irish Terri what is popcast? Tried to google it but got only music/media results.
    Luci I remember keypunching too, and the memory still gives me a headache ;)
    Kim rant
    when I heard about PG&E's plan I could not believe it. 5 hours, sure, 5 days, no way. Grocery store owners out of business? Hospitals unable to function? It almost sounds like PG&E is punishing their consumers for the lawsuits, instead of investing in keeping the powerline easements clear. Where is the PUC and what are they doing? Grr!
    Vicki “Snow on Friday”??? Noooooo!
    Rori “Snow on Thursday”??? I am SO not ready to even hear about snow. Sorry the wait for the VA appointment is so long and so sorry for your husband's situation. Sending hopes for strength and peace.
    Kathleen your resilience is amazing. Hope that novel is a best seller with a HUGE movie deal.
    Welcome Sharon from Ma
    Rebecca I liked Lisa's advice. Would your chief be willing to give your son his marching orders to call or text every 2 weeks?

Had tons of fun organizing my potting shelf area in the garage, setting up the mini growlight garden, arranging supplies, clearing, cleaning, de-cluttering (!), all to avoid VACUUMING the house in prep for guest... who may or may not come. Ah well it needs vacuuming anyway. Oops, can't do it now, time to go to in for teeth cleaning. Too bad ! :)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for October: get up and do it!
    Steps=4768 vits=7 log=7 CI<CO=6 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble=4 mfp=7 AF=6
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Michele: I love your turtle! :bigsmile:

Heather: I love the photo of you with DH, and your tiara looks perfect. :heart:

Machka: So sorry your glasses haven’t arrived. I hope tomorrow is better. :flowerforyou:

(((RV Rita))) :heart:

Rori: Congrats on the scale moving the way you want it to go! Good luck to your brother. I hope he finds a good place to live that is nearer to his work. :smiley:

Kathleen: I admire your strength and perseverance. :flowerforyou:

Sharon near Boston: Welcome! :smiley:

I have a haircut coming up this afternoon. It has been ages for me and everything needs to be cut shorter and shaped. Tomorrow I travel so I may be out of touch for a bit. I’m always able to record my food on the phone. That also provides access to the list serve. It doesn’t easily go to groups, though. I’ll be in touch when I can.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,266 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Kathleen - I have a good friend with late onset Huntingdons. He is one of the Foot family, well known in Britain. You could say he was lucky, only showing it late. What a terrible tragedy for you and your family. <3

Kim - oh my! Wow! Can't imagine.

Good luck Katla on your much longed for reunion with your daughter and grandchildren. Hooray!

Here is my DH with a couple of the dancers. They teach line dancing on sea days. Really nice. The final show was new to them and really good.
    i2g9gyvfe0jv.jpg
    Our suitcases are outside the cabin door. The waves are getting higher.
    Dover is just a night away.

Rori - I'm glad you are investigating help and respite care.

Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbara - AHMOD - yes, actually protecting the human subjects from the research itself. Absolutely agree with it - some incredible evils have been perpetrated on humans by other humans in the name of research, and it doesn't have to be medical, or even ostensibly medical--the medical atrocities, such as the Tuskegee Study are just the ones that come readily to mind. You have to certify that you understand what informed consent actually is, and so on, so that no one is coerced into cooperating, or stays in the study unwillingly, even for very benign studies, like the one I'm working on getting a grant to complete. And when working with children, you have to make sure the parent understands what the study is about, what it's meant to do, and what impact it might have on the child.

Rori and Kim - just love seeing y'all post. Makes me happy.

Anyway... heartily sick of the federal grant, but have two more years of budget to create and upload. Plus a data management plan to rewrite. My brain is on overload... and tomorrow is my first one-on-one with my new boss. Should be an interesting day.

Corey just drove up, which means the cat will come bailing in the back door any minute, as she knows his car. Time to put away work things, and do home things.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa in AR
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, Your trip will be wonderful. You will have packed what you need, you'll relax and enjoy the travel part and you'll enjoy every minute with your family. We will all be thinking good thoughts for you.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - just a thought, asI know there are some ongoing medical issues for you. You might want to get your sugars checked. My mother's vision improved unexpectedly, and we found out this is a fairly common symptom of uncontrolled sugar issues. Apparently, high blood sugar causes the fluid levels in the eyes to change.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR

I am planning to book a complete physical next week ... book it next week, probably won't get in for it till November. There are several things I want checked and a complete blood test will be part of that.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Vickil57 wrote: »
    About the sleeping arangements. DH and I sleep in recliners in the main living room. Have a almost new bed, but one of the dogs can not jump up on the bed and will jump down several times during the night and then sit by the bed and cry until someone gets up and puts him back on the bed. Our little one we lost last year couldn't jump back up anymore so we started sleeping in the chairs. Now the 2 we have can get up and down and go back and forth all night and not wake us up. Oscar (was my dad's dog) is a lab & dachshund and he likes sleeping under the blanket by my feet and Jake the pug sleeps with DH next to his side on top of the covers. Guess they are really spoiled. At night when the TV goes off they run for the door for the last trip outside and come back in and get in the chair. I keep saying I hope someday to sleep back in bed all night.

My mother had (maybe still has) a small step stool next to the bed for her cats. Maybe you could do that?

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    I love reading all the stories too.

I'm also glad that so many of you sleep separately from your significant others. I have always thought there was nothing wrong with it. My grandparents had separate rooms (he snored). My friends have separate rooms (he has a CPAP and it's too obnoxious for her). I sometimes sleep in the guest room if I am not feeling well, if he isn't, if I get hot, or if I just feel restless for some reason. I find nothing wrong with it. We both sleep better separately, but he won't go for it permanently, which baffles me. I like the idea of a king made of two twins. We do have separate blankets and that has helped.

Of course there's nothing wrong with it. :)

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Phillip don't sleep in the same bed either. The history of sleeping is actually kind of interesting. It has changed over time and there is no one right way to do it.

We first came across the king-sized beds made of two twins in Europe, in the hotels and B&Bs. They separated the beds slightly, made up each with twin sheets and blankets, and then put a large duvet over the top of it all. We loved that idea!! We could both be restless and not shake the other person awake. And there wasn't the tug-of-war over the blankets.

So when we got back to Australia, that's what we did. Although we did have the beds joined together for a while. Then gradually they were separated ... and now we're at opposite ends of the room.

M in Oz

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Uuuuuu