WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2019

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Niece is back off to her home in Western Oklahoma, and heard from the daughter - they'll drive another 5 or 6 hours today, and then be here in the early afternoon tomorrow. Can't wait to see the grands. :) And the daughter, of course. :smiley:

Another night with a light freeze, but it's supposed to be the last one for quite a while - 60s and 70s for the next couple weeks, with lows dipping into the 40s. Fall has definitely arrived... and I'm so glad of it!

Off to the races, a few things to get done yet today. :) Love y'all!

Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    /////
  • GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS
    GRITSandSLUTSandWINOS Posts: 2,573 Member
    Options
    Still stalking and find each time I do - 40+ pages behind. Will never catch up; but, still alive, still walking with a cane [get a lot of positive comments on it - homemade by HS friend's father] and wish to be able to walk in my ankle boots which have a chunky heel. When I told my PT that, he just laughed and said, 'well, got about 3 more weeks to see how your balance goes. Guess I could walk with them, at home, and see how it goes. Don't know if I will see one of the 2 PTs they have there before I am released or if I have to continue with it for a while longer. I sure hope I get to see the PT that owns the company. Haven't been seen by the other one; and one of the PTAs. Chris is a 'talker' - must have to be in order to decide what one has to work on to figure which PT or PTA works with me.

Well, have a good weekend or week, wherever you are.

Lenora
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Kim - your resourcefulness in dealing with that food from the camp was amazing. Good for you. Yes, do you know if they have any long-term plans for getting a generator there?

Allie - You will miss Buddy a lot, I'm sure. You were such a loving and loyal caretaker for him. (((HUGS)))

Yesterday I attended more Master Gardener training. Very interesting presentation on Mushrooms! I'm not ready to go picking in my yard without supervision, lol. But am ready to buy an Oyster Mushroom kit. I love them and haven't seen them in stores lately. Last ones I bought weren't fresh at all once I opened the packaging.

The other class was on Orchids! I don't have one yet but think I'm ready to make the plunge. The presenter has a greenhouse full of all kinds of them and much of what she talked about is from the American Orchid Society website - AOS.org

I am still watching the Alzheimer's "Science of Prevention" series. It's fairly lightweight compared to similar series I've watched, but still full of good reminders. It seems to be more of an "info-mercial" to sell DVD's of the series with in-depth interviews, etc. :/

Had a call yesterday from a former co-worker who is also looking at upcoming hernia surgery - again, under the belly button. She was looking for advice, and I had plenty, lol. Same surgeon, same hospital. She's had hers for a while but now is signaling it needs to be fixed. She is very obese so her recovery time will likely be longer and harder than mine was. She's also allergic to adhesives so gave her my list of what to do if it becomes a severe problem ([b]thank you Karen in VA!)

Time to get busy here.

Make it a fabulous Sunday, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Warm and cloudy SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. 51, live in Dallas, Tx. I need motivation! I have 30 lbs to lose and it seems to get harder every year. The truth is that I've gotten too comfortable - eat whatever, drink whatever and don't exercise much. Changing that. Starting goal: walk 2 miles everyday (I live in a beautiful neighborhood with lots of hills) and put all food in MFP. Biggest hurdle: stress eating. I need to control the stress or not let it affect eating. Any tips?

:) It helped me to stay away from setting a weight loss goal and focus on behaviour plans. I started with setting a plan for eating each day and sticking to the plan. I figured out a way to drink more water and keep track of how much I drink. I decided to seek more opportunities to be active and I stopped using food as recreation. I go for walks with friends and gave up baking chocolate chip cookies for fun. Take baby steps.
    <3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Allie-I’m so sorry for your loss.But I’m glad you got your answer that he made it to Heaven.My heart goes out to you and prayers as well.
    Debby In Va
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,198 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Aw, Rebecca, thank you. <3

I've been asleep most of the evening after a busy day. We started with a six mile walk along a blustery seafront, followed by watching the Japan/Scotland rugby match. Then our guests went home.
    I slept for an hour, then we went over to the grandchildren and spent a couple of hours catching up after the cruise. It was wonderful to see them. :D
    We finished by picking up fish and chips on the way home.
    I think I'm still incubating a cold because I've slept most of the evening away! I was trying to watch a series on a journey through America, but couldn't keep my eyes open!

My DDIL told me they have decided to get an au pair because it is so difficult delivering and collecting the kids from various schools/nurseries every morning/afternoon with both parents working. She is from Spain and is starting in November after half term. They interviewed her on Facetime. It means changing around the sleeping arrangements with the two girls sharing in the old guest room and the au pair moving into Edie's room next to a shower room. Next Sunday all the kids will come to us for six hours while my son hires some muscle and they move all the furniture around, up and down stairs. Then we are off to a dance ball. :o
    I hope it works out for them. Part of the plan is that she will speak Spanish sometimes to the kids. The two older ones go to a bilingual English/Spanish school. I expect Bea will pick it up soon enough. She will also go to the school eventually.

They are coming on Thursday for tea for DH's birthday. He wants to go out for lunch that day to Fatto a Mano (handmade, woodfired pizza). I've been ordering stuff from Amazon for little surprises to open in the morning. He has already had his main present of new gym kit before the cruise. He will be 74. Gosh! How did that happen?

I hope I sleep tonight after so much napping!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

stairclimber- 30min, 1650steps, 103floors, 113ahr, 125mhr = 245c
    Apple Watch- 217c
    treadmill jog- 8.56min, 144ahr, 159mhr, 8.56min mi 6.5-7.5speed, 1mi=, 133c
    Apple Watch- 117c
    floor exercises- jumping, single/sidestep- 47min, 124ahr, 162mhr, 3sts of 15ea floor exercises 3 diff exer= 422c
    Apple Watch- 351c

total cal 800
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,067 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • dandl1986
    dandl1986 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie, It really isn't that cold here yet. It is just we were in the 90s a week ago (highly unusual) and then we had a radical drop to frost and winds last night. I think I was just a bit unprepared to make such a radical adjustment. I too actually like to walk in cooler weather. I will walk outdoors as long as we have not snow and ice, but have several good walking videos and an elliptical to walk on for days when it is just too unbearable to be outside for long.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💝💞💟
  • whitewave39
    whitewave39 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well, believe it or not, I am online nearly every day but for w/e reason, I keep forgetting to check this thread! *mybad*
    How is everyone?? I'm doing better weight-wise, lost 9.4# so far, so I'm happy to report that! I get on the scale again tomorrow morning & maybe it's even more by now, eh?! 😉
    I see that some are talking about the cold weather we're having; here in Michigan it's been in the 40s! It's about that time of year, but seriously?! 40s?! To me, that's just a bit much...I'm anemic so I feel it very quickly! We've had our furnace on for the past several days; one daughter tells me every year to wait until November, but I'm sorry...I just can't! And since I'm home so much of the time now I really don't feel like freezing to death LOL.
    It just makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring.... 🤔
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did Denise Austin’s hot body yoga DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do one segment of the 10MS Fitness Ball Workout and then take the extremepump class.

Welcome everyone new

Victoria – why not let the stress control your eating? Only have veges like celery or cherry tomatoes or baby carrots already cut up in the refrig where you can see them and eat those when you are stressed. Pretty soon you won’t need/want them. I’m definitely an evening eater, I’d eat everything and anything in the evening. So what I do is try to have some fruit or veges right out on the counter so when I’m tempted at night I give in to the temptation, only I have those veges and fruit that I’ve laid out and even prelogged. Even hard boiled eggs

Rita – sure hope they get those meds worked out!

Lenora – thanks for popping in!

Michele in NC
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    Had a restful yet productive day. Got some more sorting done, clean-up, etc. Put together packets of old hangers to take to food pantry this week. Iced leg several times and did one set each of various stretches for IT band and piriformis. Pain is reduced and knee feeling a bit more stable.

Had a nice FaceTime visit with youngest son. He was teaching his girlfriend how to make Shepherds' pie. Evidently she doesn't cook at all. Will spend some time with them next Sunday in Columbus.

Have work off tomorrow but have a lot on the schedule. Supposed to be a high of 61 tomorrow-was in the 90s a week ago. Finally broke down last night and turned on furnace. We'll see what the winter brings-I wouldn't mind a milder one as long as we get snow for Christmas.

Have a good evening and good Monday.

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Summarising Our Hobbies ...
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Take time to focus on yourself. :)

70j7m0acjqv9.png

Machka's Main Hobbies

1. Pursuing further education.
    2. Cycling.
    3. Photography.

dandl1986:
    pretty sure I don't have a hobby that makes me money, so I will just change that to a hobby that helps me spend money:

1. Travel would be my money hobby
    2. Horseback riding is my stay in shape hobby
    3. Scrapbooking is my creative hobby

barbiecat:
    <3Machka, I knit hats to contribute to needy people, line dance as a student and as a teacher, walk my dogs, putter in my yard, and ride my exercise bike. I have more time for hobbies now that I am retired from full time employment.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

cmsavells:
    Hobbies
    1. Money hobby - music, I’ve done weddings and funerals from time to time. Not much any more.
    2. Stay in shape hobby - I love to walk! I have several parks where I walk regularly. I only use the gym when it rains or is above 85 degrees. I don’t do heat!
    3. Hobby for fun - back to music. I pretty much only sing in church choir now, and I am NOT a paid section leader any more. I gave that up in my 20s. Now I sing for relaxation and to have a night out.

Connie in KY

TerriRichardson112:
    1. N/A as I’m retired, but the hobby that resembles what I used to do is volunteer group leader for U3A
    2. Walking and working out
    3. Writing poetry, painting watercolours, crafting.

Anniesquats100: My hobbies are writing a novel, knitting, reading, camping, horse back riding, the gym and online dating. None of them make money. Although one day I hope to sell my novel.
    Annie in Delaware

Poerava14: Hobbies? Nothing that makes money, unless you count the time I spend learning about all-things-dementia. Who knows if eventually I will parlay it into a part-time job. For health, I work out regularly in a gym, to lively latin music. My creative outlet is cooking = trying new recipes, ingredients and variations that enhance health and fitness. Also, I like investing in home improvements that are beautiful and make our little condo better suited for aging in place.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

kevrit: Hobbies:
    Hosting at a campground for money ( well really free rent!)
    Walking for exercising
    Photography for happiness

RvRita

teklawa: Money hobby.... electronic prospecting
    Healthiest hobby....hiking
    Creative activity... glass bead making

Betsy in NW WA

1948Peachy: Hobby & Money Making: Buying and Selling vintage jewelry.

Carol in GA

auntiebk: Machka
    1. nothing to make money, but gardening to save a little $$ on organic veggies
    2. line dancing, dog group pack walk
    3. hmm, I love to read, but that's not creative, time to get out the old guitar and keyboard? Or learn to spin? Or???

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

exermom: Exercise would be one of my hobbies (the one that keeps you in shape). I also like to cook, maybe changing ingredients to make it more healthy.
    Crafts would be another (the one that makes you happy)
    Shopping (especially in thrift stores or in grocery stores – always looking for a bargain that we can use) would probably be the one that costs money
    When I’m volunteering at the Green Room, I’m making hats or scarves for the homeless

Michele in NC

GodMomKim: Betsy – read the hobbies, what is electronic prospecting?
    My hobbies –
    Money – embroidery - sewing and gardening
    Exercise – dog walking – sometimes when I can find a class yoga
    Creative – cooking
    Additionally – I love to read.

Kim from N. California

Did I get everyone? :)

Machka in Oz
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Machka Sorry, I don't think I had put my hobbies
    1) for money - playing violin
    2) for exercise - walking/hiking
    3) creative - bullet journaling/coloring/scrapbooking/more music

Victoria Welcome! A few ideas on stress eating...drink a full glass of water whenever you want to eat (helps fill you up), my nutritionist suggested setting down the fork or spoon between bites...before she mentioned it I hadn't noticed that I "shoveled" my food without resting between bites, keep your hands busy (my creative list above are all things you could do that require your hands)

We had a shower for our upcoming grand daughter. My sister from PA gave me a t-shirt to wear with an iris (the baby's name). She also sent a onesie that had the same picture for the Baby! So thoughtful!48toqtaifnrf.jpg
    3pf8cfxeyak1.jpg

Hope everyone has a Happy Day tomorrow (or whenever it is for you)...
    <3 Luci in WNC