Guys opinion: Girls who don't drink

Options
1235»

Replies

• rsalty
    rsalty Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As a guy who refused to drink from 12 to 22, I got my fair share of weird looks and comments. Still don't drink much, and really disturb coworkers sometimes by not taking "team building" events as a drinking occasion. Stick to it, and you'll find the ones that matter the most will respect you for it.

Doing something is a great alternative to drinking. There are parties out there that stay really "dry" since rockets, weird experiments, and mis-using cat toys all go much better with strong coffee than with strong liquor. They do end up leaning a bit nerdy, since that's a stereotypical "we'd rather talk possibilities than people" crowd.

At a bar, dancing is a great way to get out of drinking. And the bartenders are really friendly to the person who is active on the floor, and comes to the bar for juice: you make the joint look way more "happening" than a dozen drunks could. How encouraged? I'm a *guy* and still got the odd free drink, yeah it was OJ or cranberry - but that's what I ordered.

As noted by others, drunk sex is *nothing* compared to sober - we'll, tipsy is nothing compared to sober. Never really tried the full on drunk version, but not worried that I missed anything. Sticking with basic carb loading (with adequate lead time for glycogen formation) and good hydration for a good time, and make certain to feed the muscles appropriately afterwards to help strengthen them and improve endurance for a better time.

And as I try to teach my kids: the better you know people the better they are for drinking companions, it's better to drink with family than with friends, and better with friends than with strangers. Leading to the unarguable "I don't know you well enough to drink with you." Particularly coming from a woman, that should put the kabosh on the idea of alcohol right there. ... and if you do know them well enough and they push you to drink? Then they earn the much meaner: "I know you well enough to know not drink with you."

So in the end my opinion of a girl who doesn't drink? Well... if you don't because someone told you not too, eh... prolly not my type. Not drinking because you choose not to for you? There's someone that could be *interesting*!
  • tonythebuick
    Options
    "Stay thirsty my friends."
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You know, I have actually never had sex while drunk. I have with drunk men, but never when I was drunk. It actually causes me to not be in the mood.

It also caused an ex to fall asleep in the middle of it once. That was not an ego boost! lol
  • robabob3
    robabob3 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

My question is: How do guys see a confident, beautiful woman who chooses not to drink when it comes to dating and relationships? The answer to this isn't going to change my decision but it's just hard for me to understand why it's so sociably unacceptable to "not" drink?

I'm a 21 year old guy and seeing a girl around my age make and stick to her own choices regardless of what everyone else thinks is refreshing and seems to be rare at this age, add in the confidence and beauty.... I don't think you have anything to worry about.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    I currently stopped drinking and being sober when all about you are drunk is a great way to have fun. would imagine that a sober date would be just as interesting
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sorry... Lady chiming in here. :)

I don't drink often-- it's just not my thing. Every once in a while I will but I really don't remember the last time I did. I think I had a couple beers a few months ago. Anyway-- girls (or guys) who get SLOPPY drunk are so unattractive. I would assume guys would prefer a sober woman to have relationships with. I know so many people who don't drink... then again I live in Utah! Hahahaha (Mormon's don't drink at all and this is Mormonville.)

Sorry you're struggling with people pressuring you to do something you don't care to do. Your friends should respect your decisions. And if you're having just as much fun, I don't know why they'd care. I'd question their friendship in that case.

Hang in there--- sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders at such a young age. :)
  • sjberrier
    sjberrier Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As a guy who refused to drink from 12 to 22, I got my fair share of weird looks and comments.

I'm sorry, did you say 12-22?? Sounds like the people you were hanging out with were the eff'd up ones... 12?!? That's just sad.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

cheaper to date, harder to smash

Brilliant!
  • EmilyJackCO
    EmilyJackCO Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    It's REALLY hard at 40 in what is probably the 2nd biggest drinking town outside of Boston, where weed is legal now, to be the one girl that doesn't drink or smoke. I've found a very scant few friends who don't go out to get destroyed.... but no one who is sober like I am. I just did all that for waaaaay too long, and I really enjoy my sobriety. And I love being the designated dragger for my friends and knowing that they will get home safe.

However, for dating purposes, it doesn't get any better at 40. I've had a couple of guys bring me a glass of wine because there was one on the table and they thought I was drinking it. And then they get pissed off when I politely say thank you but I don't drink and/or hand it to one of my girlfriends. It's not like they can take it back. And then finding a guy that doesn't drink and/or get high all weekend? HAHAH... they're all the married ones now. :D I've gotten the whole - oh, yeah, I don't drink either, do you want a joint? Yeah - I'll walk away. It's not personally against them, I just can't be around it, they are my issues, not theirs. Even my family knows - you can be high around me, just don't smoke around me, that's all I ask.

I'm sure guys think I'm a stuck up prissy pants Adam Ant song. Until I go toe to toe with them in any mosh pit of their choosing. Just let me stash my glasses please. :D
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Well **** don't drink if you don't want to and stop caring so much about what other people think. I drink once in awhile and when I do it's one or two drinks. People can say or think what they want. I promise the world is alot better when you start living for your instead of other people
  • Gabrielm80
    Gabrielm80 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Didnt read any of the comments but replying real quick by the title. I don't understand women who will not drink water.
    You need water to live. These guys are not trying to trick you you need water to survive. Drink before you die from dehydration. We are talking about water right? Unless its alcohol than who cares, drink it, don't drink it. It's up to you. I quit drinking alcohol for medical reasons as in my ok but fatty liver + plus all my heart meds+ alcohol = could result in a quick degradation of my liver. So i hardly if ever even drink a beer. I still get people, family members that try to get me to drink. After the 20 secs it takes to tell them no the third time it's over with we move on. I rarely get asked anymore but it takes standing strong a few times for it to work. Alcohol can be fun I had fun loads of time drinking, often while with sober people in my presence. When I drank I liked having atleast one sober person preferably with a drivers license at all times. Beer run!!! Give becky this five for gas money and ask her to take you she isn't drinking and can drive. Oh crap Tom threw up on the dog. Thank you Becky for driving Tom home. Oh crap the cops are here everybody hide. Becky could you answer the door for us.
    ^^^All these stories are real the names have been changed to protect the innocence
    If someone thinks they can't have fun useless your also drunk doesn't know how awesome it is having a sober person around incase **** happens. If its a special occasion and I'm drunk. I make sure I have a few sober people present, or else trouble can rear his ugly face often.