You're not good enough..

Options

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

I had never even babysat when my had my first. I was terrified. It works out.
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

I think you make your own goals for the type of parent you want to be based on what you liked about your parents and didn't. You are always able to ask for help along the way, but I think you'll surprise yourself.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    1sphere wrote: »
    I set my own standards. I am NOT good enough. I don't believe in telling myself a fallacy that I am good enough.

I used to think like this and that it drove me to be better. It probably did to an extent but if you let the thoughts always be negative and the message shifts from "you can be better, go out and get it" to "you're not good enough, you piece of garbage" all the time it becomes counter-productive; at least it did for me.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Just_Mel_ wrote: »
    Yep. Try the dating world as a fat girl, it's really really bad for your self esteem. Like, I know I have a good personality and I have most my shiit together but every time a dating situation doesn't work out or go anywhere, I just know it's because I'm not hot enough. Like there is always gonna be someone better out there so they think that I'm not worthy enough of investing time in.

First of all, you’re not fat and I think you’re gorgeous.

Also, I have felt exactly the way you are feeling many times. I actually don’t think it is that. I wonder if men choose whatever woman is easier or familiar for whatever reason.

Also, some men are dumb.

• isalsayourface123
    isalsayourface123 Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    1sphere wrote: »
    I set my own standards. I am NOT good enough. I don't believe in telling myself a fallacy that I am good enough.

I used to think like this and that it drove me to be better. It probably did to an extent but if you let the thoughts always be negative and the message shifts from "you can be better, go out and get it" to "you're not good enough, you piece of garbage" all the time it becomes counter-productive; at least it did for me.

Theres studies that show change and improvement happens more regularly/effectively with positive words, motivation and reinforcement...bashing yourself will not help you in the long run.
  • BeYou4U
    BeYou4U Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yes... much younger in life.

- Toxic family culture...
    - Bullied (by today's standards) by neighborhood kids on a daily basis from 2nd - 12th grade
    - Finding my passion and then being told by many that "I suck" at it during my years of trying to develop it. This was like "the straw" moment that totally deflated me for years.

Many times it haunts me even at this age. However I think I have figured out (in some cases) how to put it in it's place.
  • s131951
    Options
    I'm not sure if it is helpful, but hope it's not pompous; I try not to have regrets and remain optimistic that I am able to achieve goals. It's how to get there that challenges. I mean to say that you are good enough, but keep in mind that choices and sacrifices or consequences are omnipresent. The best path choice defined by YOU is what to focus on.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    s131951 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it is helpful, but hope it's not pompous; I try not to have regrets and remain optimistic that I am able to achieve goals. It's how to get there that challenges. I mean to say that you are good enough, but keep in mind that choices and sacrifices or consequences are omnipresent. The best path choice defined by YOU is what to focus on.

@s131951
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't think there's a pompous thing about any of what you said. I think it's what I try to say but don't do as good of job of it. :lol:

We (people) have done a lot of harm to the perception of innate personal value. We've created our own standards (whatever they may be - looks, acceptance, body image, work, you name it) and judged others by those standards instead of helping them understand that simple thing you already do - that we have value, talents and abilities and it doesn't make us pompous or holier than thou to recognize that's what we've been given.

Knowing that doesn't negate the consequences of our choices, good or bad, just like you said. But knowing can at least help. It's a place to start. :smile:
  • s131951
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »

@s131951
    Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying, I don't think there's a pompous thing about any of what you said. I think it's what I try to say but don't do as good of job of it. :lol:

We (people) have done a lot of harm to the perception of innate personal value. We've created our own standards (whatever they may be - looks, acceptance, body image, work, you name it) and judged others by those standards instead of helping them understand that simple thing you already do - that we have value, talents and abilities and it doesn't make us pompous or holier than thou to recognize that's what we've been given.

Knowing that doesn't negate the consequences of our choices, good or bad, just like you said. But knowing can at least help. It's a place to start. :smile:

Thank you.

I just didn't want it to seem like I thought I had a better grasp on anything than others or knew better. I've been down the road of feeling inferior, but analyzing my actions led me to believe it was sacrifice or not the best choice for me.
  • cdubks88
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »

@s131951

Thank you.

I just didn't want it to seem like I thought I had a better grasp on anything than others or knew better. I've been down the road of feeling inferior, but analyzing my actions led me to believe it was sacrifice or not the best choice for me.

@s131951 Man, I hope that's not how I'm coming across. I'm not looking to come off pompous, have it all together or have all the answers. I just appreciate the opportunity to encourage people and know with absolute certainty one way I can is to help others see their worth/value. That's all I want. My apologies if I came across any other way.
  • s131951
    Options
    @cdubks88
    Not at all. I was just trying to explain myself more, hoping I wasn't seen as a know-it-all
  • cdubks88
    Options
    I can honestly say, I don’t think I’ve ever felt good enough for anything or anyone.

@Deadman_Diggingup I don't know you, but I know you have value and worth and that means something. I hope you know others know it too.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    These constant skin problems I've been plagued with all my life are really not adding to my self-esteem. To know that I will always have acne that can't be covered up with makeup (it all just makes it worse), to know that it's nothing I'm doing wrong that is causing this.. just that I was cursed and born this way.. yeah, sorry.. I feel like a failure at life.. and I can't even do anything about it.

Cystic acne, pilaris keratosis, oily skin, stupid *kitten* forehead ridges that make me look ancient and mean... *kitten*, man. I just can't win.
  • k1975lr
    k1975lr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have huge imposter syndrome in my career--I illustrate picture books--and I am always criticizing myself because I'm not as good, fast, creative, whatever as other illustrators. Sometimes, it cripples me to non-action and I'll put my art on the backburner. Pretty damned annoying.

I used to get very frustrated with my looks--especially a large overbite and visible gums--until came to the conclusion I was being vain and I stopped caring. I didnt want to have vanity in my life.

The first time I ever felt I saw some semblance of beauty in myself was after having my first child. His eyes are identical to mine--how could I feel my son was the absolute definition of beauty and completely reject it in myself.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    k1975lr wrote: »
    I have huge imposter syndrome in my career--I illustrate picture books--and I am always criticizing myself because I'm not as good, fast, creative, whatever as other illustrators. Sometimes, it cripples me to non-action and I'll put my art on the backburner. Pretty damned annoying.

I used to get very frustrated with my looks--especially a large overbite and visible gums--until came to the conclusion I was being vain and I stopped caring. I didnt want to have vanity in my life.

The first time I ever felt I saw some semblance of beauty in myself was after having my first child. His eyes are identical to mine--how could I feel my son was the absolute definition of beauty and completely reject it in myself.

❤️ My boys look just like me and they’re gorgeous so I guess I’m alright 😁
  • s131951
    Options
    I guess I can empathize. I was never big on my looks. I've been contradicted, but it doesn't sink in much.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    I guess I can empathize. I was never big on my looks. I've been contradicted, but it doesn't sink in much.

You and your nice face 😊
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    Its funny, not ha ha but interesting funny, whenever one of my kids says they aren't good enough I always tell them to never say that because not only are they good enough, they are BETTER than good enough. Is so easy to teach them not to take any $h!t from others, yet we are so good at taking $h!t from ourselves.
  • s131951
    Options

You and your nice face 😊

Yes, I can be nice and empathetic.