You're not good enough..

Options

Replies

• Deadman_Diggingup
    Deadman_Diggingup Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    cdubks88 wrote: »
    I can honestly say, I don’t think I’ve ever felt good enough for anything or anyone.

@Deadman_Diggingup I don't know you, but I know you have value and worth and that means something. I hope you know others know it too.

Thanks dude.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    I never finished college so I am not good enough for meaningful work

ETA: or even work that pays a living wage apparently

I have no doubt you can and probably already do meaningful work, even if it's not at work. I know lots of folks who have degrees and couldn't be doing more meaningless work.

If you ever decide to pursue more education, please do yourself a favor and DON'T let you get in the way of that progress. I did for a long time.

You're never too old. You're smart enough. You CAN do it. I didn't finish up my bachelor's until I was 37.

I'm becoming more and more convinced the older I get that meaning in our "work" is finding that thing we're passionate about and doing it.

I'm rooting for you!

Thank you. I’m about 30 credits shy of a BS but it’s not likely to get finished any time soon. I’m nearly 50 and have debt and children. Blah.

Don't give up.

I mean, think about what you said - 30 credits - that's basically 2 FT semesters or maybe what....4-5 PT semesters.

May seem like it's far away, but it's not unreachable.

You can do it. I know you can. :smiley:

Yes, i hear you. My priorities are elsewhere atm. I cannot be with my children, work full time, and go to school while paying off debt. I have to choose. And I have. Besides, I’m more lamenting the system that values a degree over ability.

You know imo most jobs these days I don’t believe really require degrees .. most I work work all went To college - but I didn’t - not one credit to my name - however none of them are any better at their job then I.. college is overrated- unless your going to be a dr or lawyer - vet - teacher - idk something of that nature - anyone can be trained policies and procedures of any other job no?? Maybe I’m just an uneducated schmuck -
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    nooshi713 wrote: »
    My parents always made me feel like I wasn’t good enough and they still do so I actually don’t talk to them much. Even if I had all As and one B, they would criticize me.

Same. My mum is gone now but I can still hear her criticisms in my head. So for many years I picked partners who repeated the pattern, because that was what "fit" my self schema, and of course that just reinforced the negative feelings.
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am not a good enough parent. I know its dealing with teenagers, but it feels like I am handling everything wrong. Why the hell can't they come with instruction manuals? Am I making them worse by the way I am handling things? ugg.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I feel like I am not a good enough parent. I know its dealing with teenagers, but it feels like I am handling everything wrong. Why the hell can't they come with instruction manuals? Am I making them worse by the way I am handling things? ugg.

For you and all the other folks in here that doubt their parenting abilities... mine were alcoholics and did pretty much everything wrong, all the time, yet I turned out decently enough. Your kids will be just fine.
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

@DonutEatThat - this is so difficult to read. i'll let you in on a secret. nobody knows what they're doing into the great unknown of being a parent. we don't get a guide book . my mother wasn't the most supportive mother either, and she verbalized (quite negatively i might add)to me that she couldn't believe i was pregnant when i told her. she also told me that if i thought she would be a built in baby sitter , that i had another thing coming (!)

*not like i'd have asked her*

just because there's a familial issue going on with parenting, don't feel that it's going to automatically be default for you. i went out of my way to be a better parent to my kids than what my parents were to me *i grew up with a lot of physical, emotional and verbal abuse in my household*. you can do this too. sometimes fear and history are the best motivators for change. my heart is with you Lady.... good luck to you and your baby! <3
  • mi_nina_lola
    mi_nina_lola Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    @_Miss_chievous_
    so nice to see you back ,Lovely! <3

every nurse that i know, *especially my oncologist's!* is so overwrought by the canadian health care system's MO.
    the fact that you took a job different from your initial career is really telling. i'm sure it wasn't an easy choice but necessary at the time. we all at times, have to take a take a work *breather*.

i have a degree and didn't get the dream job i wanted to that went with it. but i found another field and became certified in that and enjoyed it while i WAS able to work. in the end - it's all just something to make money *sigh*

(ps - i hope you're doing well) :)

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I'm not good enough to be a parent. I'm pregnant with my first and I have no *kitten* clue what I'm doing. My anxiety is kicking in and I'm terrified I'm going to be awful at it. My mom has said many times she thinks she's a bad mom and didn't want kids and my sister is a horribly selfish parent to her son so what if it's genetic and I'm exactly like them?

@DonutEatThat

okay.... go outside today and take a walk or go for a drive.... look around.

Turn on your television and look at all of those people in college football stadiums or major league baseball parks.

All of those people.... all of them were once infants, toddlers, children & teenagers.

They all had parents & all of those parents had doubts at one time or another (it's what you signed up for.)

Genetics aside, if you care (and you obviously do) you will do just fine.
  • Nooneknows21
    Nooneknows21 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I feel sorry for the people who know me and have to look at me.
  • Glazed_and_Confused
    Glazed_and_Confused Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@DonutEatThat

Turn on your television and look at all of those people in college football stadiums or major league baseball parks.

All of those people.... all of them were once infants, toddlers, children & teenagers.

They all had parents & all of those parents had doubts at one time or another (it's what you signed up for.)

Thanks, my friend 🤗 it's good to hear others voice they had the same worries
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

@DonutEatThat

Thanks, my friend 🤗 it's good to hear others voice they had the same worries

What-me-worry.png
  • pizzamyheart
    pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
    Options
    I don't feel I am doing anything worthwhile with my life. I don't socialize, most of my friends have abandoned me (despite saying they would never do so) or they live very, very far away. I'm active with my son's activities and Cub Scouts, but I can't consider any of those people friends.. not to mention some of them constantly want to bring drama in where it's not needed, which I really, REALLY try to avoid.

I just feel like an absolute failure. This is not what I wanted to do with my life, but I am forever stuck.

I think this is part of having children and being a mom. It feels to me that the dad doesn’t give stuff up and get lost as much as Mother’s do. Maybe they do, I’m not trying to say one is harder than the other. I’m just saying that as a mom I am stuck because I do kid stuff, don’t have my ole friends anymore, don’t have the energy to make new friends, don’t necessarily like the other parents in cub scouts or soccer, so it’s like I’m stuck for now, living my life for everyone else. With people I don’t even necessarily like. Because I have to.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I don't feel I am doing anything worthwhile with my life. I don't socialize, most of my friends have abandoned me (despite saying they would never do so) or they live very, very far away. I'm active with my son's activities and Cub Scouts, but I can't consider any of those people friends.. not to mention some of them constantly want to bring drama in where it's not needed, which I really, REALLY try to avoid.

I just feel like an absolute failure. This is not what I wanted to do with my life, but I am forever stuck.

I think this is part of having children and being a mom. It feels to me that the dad doesn’t give stuff up and get lost as much as Mother’s do. Maybe they do, I’m not trying to say one is harder than the other. I’m just saying that as a mom I am stuck because I do kid stuff, don’t have my ole friends anymore, don’t have the energy to make new friends, don’t necessarily like the other parents in cub scouts or soccer, so it’s like I’m stuck for now, living my life for everyone else. With people I don’t even necessarily like. Because I have to.

100%. I gave up pretty much everything. Add on top of that that I moved away from everything familiar for my husband's job and still do, I never really wanted children and I am stuck being a solo parent quite a lot of the time and I never have any worthwhile prospects any place we move because jobs that are flexible are not forthcoming anywhere I live.

Making friends is next to impossible because I move every three years and honestly? I've been burned too many times for putting myself out there. Also, LOL. I am a committee chair and den leader for our local pack and I agree with you. I don't necessarily agree with or get cozy with most of the parents. Some of the other leaders and parents are alright, but a lot of them expect way too much for a group of volunteers who all have their own lives.