Define a Curvy Woman PLEASE!

Options

Replies

• Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I read the other day that a curvy woman does NOT hove rolls of fat. Rather, she has the curves nature intended. I guess shapely but firm and tight, not round and flabby. It works for what I see as a difference between fat and curvy.
  • LivDixon
    LivDixon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2, 155, and almost an hourglass (just a darn half inch more on my bust and hips!). I wear a size 4, and I'm still losing. I used to stress about my curves but I'm starting to grow content with the fact that I'm just thick and there's nothing I can really do about it. :wink: That being said, I have a much taller, lighter friend who is beautifully in proportion as far as all her measurements go (she's a pear shape). So to me, '"curvy" isn't really a size, it's just how certain parts of you look in comparison to other parts :laugh: Just a body type, not a number.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    How about 5'8", 42D-33-40.

If you have a 33" waist how is your underbust 42" ??
    is there really a 9" difference between your waist and your rib cage, I really can't imagine that.
    As I have a waist of 36" and wear a 34 band bra. (34H)

Back on topic I am too fat to be curvy even though it is hourglassy I measure 44", 36", 46"

I would say curvy means having boobs and hips but not fat,and an hourglass shape with a flat waist, think curves on the sides caused by muscle/bone structure.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've been told Im Curvy by plenty of males and females. I think it just has to do with the way your body is shaped. Most women consider miss marilyn monroe curvy, small waist , bigger hips.

34gpzyf.jpg
  • princessrisariri
    Options

Erm, I think the band size on bras is supposed to be the underbust measurement, not the overbust one yes?

I'm a 38DD, but 38" is the underbust measurement.

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 30 something underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up!

Yes, but I am confused by nutter's comment about her bra size being 42D when her underbust measurement is 38 is all.

I think it's because of how a lot of bra places will add 4 inches to the rib cage measurement (usually in order to fit people into the bras they sell).

Interesting. Never had someone do this. I just go by the measurements and buy the corresponding band size. I usually go 1" up if I'm in between.

for all bra sizing arguments try reading here, it clears everything up

http://www.reddit.com/r/ABraThatFits/wiki/quick

the adding 4" thing is just madness!

Your underbust size is your band size give or take 2", normally better to be tighter and let elastic support you
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Erm, I think the band size on bras is supposed to be the underbust measurement, not the overbust one yes?

Yep. But for things like fitted shirts and whatnot, you need to know what the bust measurement itself is. I may be a 30 something underneath, but if you don't put those extra few inches on the bust, nothing is going to be able to zip up!

Yes, but I am confused by nutter's comment about her bra size being 42D when her underbust measurement is 38 is all.

I think it's because of how a lot of bra places will add 4 inches to the rib cage measurement (usually in order to fit people into the bras they sell).

Interesting. Never had someone do this. I just go by the measurements and buy the corresponding band size. I usually go 1" up if I'm in between.

Your underbust size is your band size give or take 2", normally better to be tighter and let elastic support you

They do it to me all the time. My under bust measurement is 26 inches, so many bra places don't sell below a 34. Some sell 32. Some even sell 30. Tough to find 28. They don't even make 26.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    is there really a 9" difference between your waist and your rib cage, I really can't imagine that.
    My underbust is 6" bigger than my waist. Not quite 9", but yeah that's not uncommon.
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I love THICK women! Something that I can hold on to. I have dated all shapes and sizes of women but there is nothing like a beautiful, full figured woman, that knows how to own her body shape and plays into it. Media has brain washed us into believing that overweight women are not sexy. I think it's a crock of poop! I do believe that we should strive to live healthy lives but baby gotta have back..lol!

To me, CONFIDNECE is the sexiest thing that a woman could ever wear. I have met women that are overweight and were the sexiest beings I have ever encountered. They were sexy because no one on this earth could tell them that they weren't. Not only did they believed it but they carried themselves accordingly.

:flowerforyou:
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

They do it to me all the time. My under bust measurement is 26 inches, so many bra places don't sell below a 34. Some sell 32. Some even sell 30. Tough to find 28. They don't even make 26.

This is exactly why I measure myself and only shop at places where I can try them on before buying. My underbust is 29 inches and my overbust is 35. In most American made bras, I fit great in 32DDD, but if I buy a European bra I need to go down in band and up in cup to a 30G.

If you do that "add 4 inches" thing, I would actually have to wear a 34 band which offers no support it's so dang loose...and the cup size, being 2 inches different between 33 and 35...yeah. B cups would have the underwires digging in right beside the nipples, lol.

And never ever EVER get measured by any little girl working at Victoria's Secret. Last time I went there and allowed them to measure me (just for giggles) they tried to shove me in a 36C. The band was so loose I could pull it about 6 inches away from my body and...well...the cup doth runneth over, lol.

Back to the OP...curvy to me is simply someone who has drastically different hips/chest measurements than their waist. Unfortunately, that's not me. I'm more like Jamie Eason, in that after a cut, we look more like bean poles with muscles and boobs. :flowerforyou: Which is why I turn slightly sideways for decent pictures, lol!
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My underbust is 6" bigger than my waist. Not quite 9", but yeah that's not uncommon.

I agree that it is not that uncommon, and definitely a more common characteristic of my personal definition of a curvy woman. My underbust is 3" bigger than my 26" waist...but if I were more "curvy" my waist would be smaller and there'd be more difference there. But like I said, I am beanpole, not curvy, haha.
  • AshleyM71
    AshleyM71 Posts: 3,029 Member
    Options
    I have an hourglass shape, but athletic/slender legs. Don't feel fat. I feel feminine. Love curves. But I'm a little biased. People come in different shapes. I think I have more of a 1950's look
  • princessrisariri
    Options

This blog might help with your hunt for 26, good luck http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2011/05/where-to-find-26-and-24-band-bras-and.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

This blog might help with your hunt for 26, good luck http://www.thinandcurvy.com/2011/05/where-to-find-26-and-24-band-bras-and.html

Thanks! I have seen this before. I do now have some bras that fit good.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    curvy to me is a nice way of saying overweight.
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    curvy to me is a nice way of saying overweight.

Really?? Because I've been called curvy and am not classified as overweight in any way. I think, more than anything, it has to do with ratios rather than size!

image_zps
  • ragingmrs
    Options
    Curvy is very subjective. Ultimately it means you do not look like a teenage boy. I believe most "athletic" bodies are curvy. A lot of us do use the term to describe a fuller figure. I think what it comes down to is that you have curves where they are supposed to be, not bulges where then should not. If you are Rubenesque you are at the outer edges of curvy bordering on obese.
  • mister_Big
    Options
    Curvy is a way of saying I need a lil padding cause im a big strong guy and I wanna love you :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah I'm curvy. A circle is a curve so by definition I am a curve. Mwahahahahaha suck it geometry is on my side!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options

I agree that it is not that uncommon, and definitely a more common characteristic of my personal definition of a curvy woman. My underbust is 3" bigger than my 26" waist...but if I were more "curvy" my waist would be smaller and there'd be more difference there. But like I said, I am beanpole, not curvy, haha.

I'm a 35-36" underbust/39-40" bustline, 26-27" waist, 39.5" hips. My ribs are kind of huge compared to my waist below them. Which isn't unheard of or anything, but makes it tough to find fitted clothes that fit right without tailoring everything...

And really - curvy should just mean a big variable between bust/waist/hip measurements, and not really have anything to do with body composition. You can be thin and curvy or overweight and curvy. IMHO it should have more to do with describing the fit/design of clothes than overall size. We're not all built the same.
  • Determined518
    Determined518 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Curvy-
    Marilyn Monroe

Thick-
    Khloe Kardashian/Odom

Which, by the way, are both gorgeous. I thick having some meat on your bones is beautiful... voluptuous and pretty sexy.