YoungGun11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    YoungGun11 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    v_ludwig wrote: »
    use Cauliflower rice. you will never know the difference

I like cauliflower mashed potatoes!!! So good! Good way to sneak in veggies instead of carbs 😍😍😍😍

Veggies ARE carbs.

Oops. You beat me to it.

Fun facts:
    - Iceberg lettuce gets 78% of its calories from carbs.
    - raw carrots: 89%
    - cucumber with peel: 83% (peeled: 68%)
    - raw kale: 72%
    - raw onion: 90%
    - raw celery: 73%

(source: https://nutritiondata.self.com)

Yes, there are good carbs. Not all are “empty” carbs. Thank you for your post. 👍👍👍

Carbs are carbs. But of course some foods with carbs (just like some with fat and some with protein) have more or less other nutrients, like fiber and various micros or protein or various types of fat (nuts have carbs, also some protein, and are mainly great due to the healthy fats).

The vertical diet seems not to be great for omega-3s, speaking of fat (grass fed beef will have some, but is hardly as good a source as fatty fish), as well as not high in fiber unless you really concentrate on getting in many servings of vegetables.

Anyway, I find it interesting that you seem to be down on carbs that are basically just carbs, since that's what white rice is (not that it doesn't have a few micros and such). The main reason it's popular in bodybuilder diets is probably because it's an easily digested (as in quickly digested) source of starch -- i.e., good and easy source of energy. The starches that seem to be forbidden on the vertical diet (potatoes, sweet potatoes, whole grains, beans and lentils) tend to have as good or better a nutrient profile (usually better, IMO, but I'm not down on white rice either, so long as you have other sources of nutrients). I also think fruit is pretty good for you, but again, no one food (or even food group -- although I'd recommend everyone eat vegetables) is essential.

Thanks! I agree!
  • YoungGun11
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    I didn’t look it up. Lemurcat said hamburger, rice, veg. You said breakfast and lunch. If that’s all there is to it, it sounds like a perfect jumpstart for a newbie to dieting. The formula is easy to follow. You should be able to see how much better you feel just by leaving unnecessary calories out of your diet. After a week or two or three, you should be able to build on that, in a way that helps keep you at your best by experimenting with substituting other proteins and carbs, and also by adding fruits, etc. I can’t imagine it would be sustainable for long, but I totally see it as a jumping in with both feet start.
    Congratulations on finding something that is helping you.

And welcome to all the disagreers. There will be plenty of them on this post, with all the people here who think their way is the only way.
    Is it correct to dip one toe in the water, squeal, and dip two toes in? Or is it correct to jump in the deep end when totally dry?
    Is it correct to take the bandage off slowly? Or rip it off?

Thanks! People can have their opinion, doesn’t bother me. Lol. It’s not a newbie diet. Check out Stan Efferding. Diet isn’t complex, it’s a performance diet based on gut health. May not be necessary for some but I enjoy it. Nothing crazy new, a lot of from older body building diet. (Chicken and rice) Stan says he’s never seen a big chicken so he like beef. Bison is a great meat as well but I beef is cheaper.
    And this is who you are going to listen to?
    you are cutting calories. and not with a particularly nutrient dense choice of foods.
    gut health science is questionable at best.

the big question is sustainability. think protein, veg/fruit, starch. rather than stoically sticking with one specific type only.
    I didn’t look it up. Lemurcat said hamburger, rice, veg. You said breakfast and lunch. If that’s all there is to it, it sounds like a perfect jumpstart for a newbie to dieting. The formula is easy to follow. You should be able to see how much better you feel just by leaving unnecessary calories out of your diet. After a week or two or three, you should be able to build on that, in a way that helps keep you at your best by experimenting with substituting other proteins and carbs, and also by adding fruits, etc. I can’t imagine it would be sustainable for long, but I totally see it as a jumping in with both feet start.

And welcome to all the disagreers. There will be plenty of them on this post, with all the people here who think their way is the only way.
    Is it correct to dip one toe in the water, squeal, and dip two toes in? Or is it correct to jump in the deep end when totally dry?

Thanks! People can have their opinion, doesn’t bother me. Lol. It’s not a newbie diet. Check out Stan Efferding. Diet isn’t complex, it’s a performance diet based on gut health. May not be necessary for some but I enjoy it. Nothing crazy new, a lot of from older body building diet. (Chicken and rice) Stan says he’s never seen a big chicken so he like beef. Bison is a great meat as well but I beef is cheaper.
    And this is who you are going to listen to?
    you are cutting calories. and not with a particularly nutrient dense choice of foods.
    gut health science is questionable at best.

the big question is sustainability. think protein, veg/fruit, starch. rather than stoically sticking with one specific type only.

I’m def going to listen to him. I listen to a lot of people in the fitness/nutrition industry. I try different ways and use science to help my body perform the best. You are correct about being able to sustain a way of eating. A “lifestyle”, if you will. I think this is one way for me because I eat all the food you mentioned. I only shared one pic of my food but I eat more food groups. I like to use moderations and depending on my performance goals, I can adjust my calories. 😘😘😝😝😝 thanks!

“People in the fitness/nutrition industry” and “science” are not necessarily the same thing.

They are not necessarily different either, huh? Did I miss your point? Thanks for your response! Have a great day! 🤟🤟🤟

the fitness industry takes science and sometimes very paper thin science and processes it so they can make a product to sell to you.
    gut diet is questionable science

I’m sure you have a point. I can’t see it, but thanks for your response! 👍👍👍

The point is that the diet/fitness industry takes one study with a shaky conclusion, over-dramatizes the conclusion and tells the public it's "science", and then charges you $100 for a diet plan or supplements or a workout based on that.

That's not how science works, but the diet/fitness industry wants you to believe it is.

If eating that way gives you the right amount of calories and the energy and fuel you need to reach your goals, awesome! But "gut health" and "hormone balancing" are the popular key words right now that both bro-science and alternative-health personalities are using to sell lots of unnecessary stuff based on shaky scientific ground, so we're just suggesting that lurkers don't put much faith in that sort of thing. Their gut and hormones will be just fine eating a well-balanced diet with lots of variety. In fact, the majority of the science points to a varied diet being better for gut health, as it supports healthy gut bacteria.

I'd guess most researchers focused on gastroenterology and endocrinology would be concerned about the possibility of daily high sat fat and low fiber in the diet (depending on how much and how many different veggies you added). I'm not sure though if those recommendations are different for someone who is highly muscled, as that's not something I have to worry about personally :lol:

Yes! I agree! Most people are trying to make $$. We have to be careful. I like to listen to my body and eat foods that make it perform the best. Thanks for your post. 👍👍👍🤟🤟
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    :smiley: That looks kind of like my dinner on a lot of nights... Only I use brown rice instead of white, and sometimes the ground beef is a pork chop or some chicken breasts. I like to put quick pickled cucumbers in lime juice and shredded carrots on top with a few hits of sriracha.

And sometimes I like to put the "ubiquitious brown sauce" on all of it as a nod to my Asian heritage.

I have no idea what the "vertical diet" is, but cooking from scratch doesn't have to be arduous or time consuming, and making your own food makes counting calories and macros easier for sure.
  • YoungGun11
    Options
    :smiley: That looks kind of like my dinner on a lot of nights... Only I use brown rice instead of white, and sometimes the ground beef is a pork chop or some chicken breasts. I like to put quick pickled cucumbers in lime juice and shredded carrots on top with a few hits of sriracha.

And sometimes I like to put the "ubiquitious brown sauce" on all of it as a nod to my Asian heritage.

I have no idea what the "vertical diet" is, but cooking from scratch doesn't have to be arduous or time consuming, and making your own food makes counting calories and macros easier for sure.

I agree! Sounds like you have a yummy meal!!! 🤟🤟🤟🤟
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Here's a description of it: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/what-every-lifter-needs-to-know-about-the-vertical-diet.html

It's a bit different than what I said above, but not too different. It basically allows red meat only (basically identifying only beef, bison, and lamb) as the main protein source, with a little salmon permitted in the micronutrient section. The carbs are supposed to be mainly white rice (NOT brown), but with some sweet potatoes and potatoes okay. It's low FODMAP, so limits or excludes many higher fiber foods such as beans and lentils, and seems to be suspicious of cruciferous vegetables and many fruits. So not exactly just cooking from scratch.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options

Nobody in the thread said or implied that their way is the only way :*

You have posted about the diet without following what it is - it is not something you start with and add other things in.

Vertical diet just sounds a fancy name to me - OP, if you like eating just beef, rice, vegetables, that's fine. Presuming it is a range of veggies, that would probably be a nutritionally balanced diet.

I personally prefer a greater range of foods and I don't think your fancy name diet has any particular gut health or other benefits.
    Other than reducing calories - but any diet that reduces calories does that, doesn't have to consist of anything in particular.

Weird flex but ok. Thanks for your response, you have an opinion. 🤟🤟🤟 have a great day!

Not sure what you think is weird about my post or what we are discussing really. You don't seem open to actual discussion.

You don't seem to be taking in any points anyone brought up and want to just see this as some special diet thing when really it is just fancy name hyped up bro science
    Admittedly with a fairly balanced diet so that's a good thing.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,034 Member
    Options
    yes it is certainly true that some people prefer more repitition and some more variety - and this applies to diet (what we eat) as much as anything else.

As long as the person eating the repetitious diet isnt going to extremes and the diet is reasonably balanced nutrition wise, then its just a matter of personal preference.

We dont need a fancy name for that.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Vertical diet? Will this help me grow up instead of out. I know, I know, wishful thinking from someone who is very much vertically challenged!
  • YoungGun11
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Vertical diet? Will this help me grow up instead of out. I know, I know, wishful thinking from someone who is very much vertically challenged!

This is what I’m hoping for 👀👀🤟
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Couldn’t do it. The list of veggies that are not allowed is literally a list of my favorite veggies. I wouldn’t put stock in any diet that restricts veggies, but that’s just my opinion.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I knew someone who ate a mono-meal for over 30 days. It was ground beef and spinach. They worked their way down from a few meals to a mono-meal. They weren't doing it for the gut-bomb thing but more out of a disordered eating thing.

There's a whole new school of thought when it comes to eliminating food varieties due to food sensitivities. They're actually giving tiny tots peanut butter so they don't have a deadly allergic reaction on a plane or in school. They're trying it with many foods that children are allergic to. As you know, the more foods we eliminate the gut sloughs off the lining that used to accommodate it and it can result in diagnosing yourself with a food allergy or sensitivity that we don't really have. I don't believe in diagnosing ourselves by using a food elimination diet to check for allergies. Go to an actual doctor and get tested. Using a food reset which doesn't reset anything or an elimination diet can result in diagnosis by self-quackery.