November 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,357 Member
    edited November 2019
    @rheddmobile I love reading about the things you see, and hear, on your runs. I saw some unknown critter this morning when I took my puppy dog out this morning, in the dark. She lunged for the hill. I yelled no. She stopped, and I saw something scamper off from the top if the hill. Too dark to see what it was. Just saw a white tail fairly low to the ground. So, it was either a baby deer (which shouldn't be that small this time of the year) or a large rabbit hopping higher than normal to get away.

@PastorVincent Had to laugh at your post. I see trees too. Just not that pretty. ;)

@mbaker566 I agree with @Avidkeo . Just don't iron. I hang things up as soon as the dryer dings and iron so rarely, I was surprised where I found my iron when cleaning the other day. LOL
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @PastorVincent Had to laugh at your post. I see trees too. Just not that pretty. ;)

Pittsburgh has some strange trees. Saw this one too:
    t6y6dj8g1paa.jpg

And this one is side the mall
    m5b179nzvzia.jpg

• PastorVincent
    @mbaker566 I agree with @Avidkeo . Just don't iron. I hang things up as soon as the dryer dings and iron so rarely, I was surprised where I found my iron when cleaning the other day. LOL

/agree.

Other than the suite I wear for weddings and funerals (when I am presiding), I own essentially no clothes that need ironing.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I got it done.
    I'm glad i have people to hold me accountable.
    It took awhile to find my stride. 2 miles is short. But i did it.
    cgjw9eqhqxfv.jpg
    Thank you guys

That's a great start!!!!
    Keep it up!!!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    I got it done.
    cgjw9eqhqxfv.jpg
    Thank you guys

Great! What kind of fun thing are you doing for cross-training today?

@mbaker566 well done! I hope your cross-training is better then mine, which today will be ironing (grrr my family need to stop wearing clothes!)

I don't iron. i don't have clothes that need ironing. i may throw something in the dryer and tumble but that even is very rare :wink:
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited November 2019
    @mbaker566 Great that you got out there! I was thinking of you yesterday when I pushed myself out the door myself! And thanks for the tip of Kenosha Running group. I actually saw their website a while back, but never delved too much into it. I'll do some poking around now. I did see the canicross and it looks interesting, but I can't do that now with my girl, I'm afraid. She's going to be 13 in December, and just not a good running partner.

@JulieS3103 Thanks also for the trail running group. Next time I'm on FB, I might check them out.

@PastorVincent You rock with the Raynoud's help! I will have to incorporate some of those for sure! I know last year when I was up here for vacay & ran in the snow the 1 pair of Merino socks I had were lifesavers! Will have to get a few more pairs.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    November Goal: 80 Miles

11/3: 11.02 miles
    11/5: 6.55 miles
    11/6: 6.51 miles
    11/9: 1.54 miles warm up
    11/9: 3.24 miles Wags and Whiskers 5K
    11/11: 6.52 miles
    11/12: 3.20 miles
    11/13: 3.20 miles
    11/14: 6.10 miles
    11/17: 10.02 miles
    11/19: 6.22 miles
    11/20: 8.05 miles
    11/21: 6.06 miles

78.23/80 miles completed

It wasn't raining/thundering when I got up this morning so I ran 6 miles. I was so glad because I really needed a good run this morning. It was about 63°F and kind of humid, but not too uncomfortable. I was worried that it would be stormy this morning and I wouldn't get to run, but there wasn't any lightening and no rain although there was still some water on the roads from last night's rain. It was an uneventful run, but I enjoyed just kind of getting lost in my thoughts and running.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,659 Member
    I got it done.
    cgjw9eqhqxfv.jpg
    Thank you guys

Great! What kind of fun thing are you doing for cross-training today?

@mbaker566 well done! I hope your cross-training is better then mine, which today will be ironing (grrr my family need to stop wearing clothes!)

I don't iron. i don't have clothes that need ironing. i may throw something in the dryer and tumble but that even is very rare :wink:

Dryers are not a thing anyone without a title to their name and a bank balance to match have here, due to the exhorbitant price of electricity. I rarely wear anything that needs ironing myself, since my lifestyle change I pretty much live in running/sports gear but my family is badly trained and gets mortally offended at the prospect of not wearing exactly what they want and it being pristine and wrinkle-free. My fault for allowing them to expect it, the same as everything else related to housework, cooking, etc., but if I dare to suggest they do it themselves then I'm that witch we were talking about the other day. **sigh**

@shanaber nothing I can say to help, but ouch! Hope it resolves quickly with no ill effects. Maybe take the race extra easy and pay attention to how you're feeling...

The local council is running a 2k family charity 'race' on Sunday as part of their programme re International Day For the Elimination of Violence Against Women, so we all signed up for it. So I rearranged my schedule for this week and moved my long run to tomorrow. Lo and behold, it started raining yesterday and it forecast to continue until tomorrow night. A bit of rain doesn't bother me, although the met office alerts for heavy rains and strong winds are a little discouraging. My weather app is being a total wuss and telling me it's a terrible day to run tomorrow. So guess who's going to get wet, lol! I am however going to be sensible and change my route, running up the side of a dried river bed that's known for flash flooding and stuff probably isn't the best idea in the world. Mind you, the seafront promenade alternative may also be interesting if the tide comes up..... Maybe I'll take water wings just in case.

• PastorVincent
    shanaber wrote: »
    Question for the group. TLDR at the bottom if you want to jump to just the question.
    Yesterday on my run I touched/hit a plant that sort of looks like aloe vera with my finger where my wedding ring normally is (I don't wear it when I run). It stung and bled a bit and I rinsed it off in the drinking fountain when I got up to the trail and promptly forgot about it. Fast forward... I came home showered and went to put my ring back on and it hurt like hell making me realize how swollen it was. I did not attempt to take my ring back off. Later in the day my finger was very swollen and purple beyond the first joint. I sent a picture to my doctor daughter who told me I needed to get the ring off. With much soap and pain I was able to get it off and realized it was swollen, sore and purple all the way back to my knuckle. This morning it the swelling is down mostly but it is still sore and very discolored. Daughter wants me to take Zyrtec 2x/day for 3 days. I have a HM on Saturday and am concerned about taking it and having issues during the race.

Has anyone any experience with taking Zyrtec before/during a race and any issues with it? I know we are all different but just wondering if I should be concerned.

Zyrtec does not impact a run for me, but Zyrtec-D can cause a spike in blood pressure so maybe be wary of that.

• mbaker566
    Question for the group. TLDR at the bottom if you want to jump to just the question.
    Yesterday on my run I touched/hit a plant that sort of looks like aloe vera with my finger where my wedding ring normally is (I don't wear it when I run). It stung and bled a bit and I rinsed it off in the drinking fountain when I got up to the trail and promptly forgot about it. Fast forward... I came home showered and went to put my ring back on and it hurt like hell making me realize how swollen it was. I did not attempt to take my ring back off. Later in the day my finger was very swollen and purple beyond the first joint. I sent a picture to my doctor daughter who told me I needed to get the ring off. With much soap and pain I was able to get it off and realized it was swollen, sore and purple all the way back to my knuckle. This morning it the swelling is down mostly but it is still sore and very discolored. Daughter wants me to take Zyrtec 2x/day for 3 days. I have a HM on Saturday and am concerned about taking it and having issues during the race.

Has anyone any experience with taking Zyrtec before/during a race and any issues with it? I know we are all different but just wondering if I should be concerned.

Zyrtec does not impact a run for me, but Zyrtec-D can cause a spike in blood pressure so maybe be wary of that.

zyrtec and clariton all make me edgy.
  • mbaker566
    edited November 2019
    @mbaker566 Great that you got out there! I was thinking of you yesterday when I pushed myself out the door myself! And thanks for the tip of Kenosha Running group. I actually saw their website a while back, but never delved too much into it. I'll do some poking around now. I did see the canicross and it looks interesting, but I can't do that now with my girl, I'm afraid. She's going to be 13 in December, and just not a good running partner.

@JulieS3103 Thanks also for the trail running group. Next time I'm on FB, I might check them out.

@PastorVincent You rock with the Raynoud's help! I will have to incorporate some of those for sure! I know last year when I was up here for vacay & ran in the snow the 1 pair of Merino socks I had were lifesavers! Will have to get a few more pairs.

i have to tell cuddler she can't do long runs with me anymore At, 11 years. she doubts me. i think maybe she could but she'd be feeling it the next day. i try not to take her out for more than six. but usually no more than 3
    5ir4tkhbyl59.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member

I take zyrtec daily and have never noticed any issues with it.