"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have had people say, dont lose so much weight where you become so thin and invisible. o.o but i dont pay mind to them. i just carry out my day like normal
  • BeautyAndStrength50
    Options
    As a matter of fact I heard this today.. I went to our local Mexican Restaurant and the gentlemen there said to me Your losing more weight and I said NO ive been like this for over 2 years now. I was shocked to hear him say that cause he just seen me a couple of weeks ago.. He didnt tell me not to lose anymore but thats how I took it. Im 5'4" and 136 pounds. I do strength training so maybe thats why he said that I dont know. It kinda makes you feel good but then again its like HUH...
  • Madmarsha
    Options
    Years ago when I was at my lowest ever but still had a belly roll, I would get comments from my parents like, We're worried, because I was only eating half of a restaurant dinner. Which, of course, is silly. (and, of course, later those same parents would exhort me to "take care of myself" which is code for, Honey, you've put on a bit of weight and we're worried. Which is it, crazy people? lol) But also things like, Don't become Karen Carpenter. Which is completely alarming. I also got, Oh, like YOU have to worry. And even though I knew both then and now that I am not anorexic, trouble is, I took all of the comments to heart at the time and remember them, obvs, as if it was yesterday.

Older -- and fatter -- now, when and if I get them, they won't enter my head. I have done too much work and too much reading and know I understand things about myself better than anybody could. So to the extent I address it, I will acknowledge that I am not on a diet therefore it's up to my body to decide where it will stop. And I truly have no idea what that is going to be. I am not focused on a number or a size but rather the desire to rid myself of the dangerous visceral fat. Surely no one could object to that, could they?
  • Wwinkel
    Options
    It's their own insecurities acting up is all. They're trying to cover for the fact that they feel uncomfortable with their own weight.
    Bingo. The healthier you get, the more 'off the spectrum' they become. It makes people realize more and more JUST how far off of healthy they are. American's especially have such a messed up sense of 'healthy' that it amazes me when an obese patient of mine will rate themselves as 'healthy' on the medical intake form we use. Those people are the ones that are at SQUARE ONE. They don't even realize that there's a problem!
  • Wwinkel
    Options
    Well sorry to say but some people do lose more weight and then omg they look like skin and bones ,This one woman up my street I thought she was dieing and went to her and said are you ok,she said yes why ,Told her you are so thin that I can see your bones,she said she looks great,I said really you look like you are dieing.when people get to thin then its time to stop losing.It depends or the person,one year I thought I look great,My mother said omg gain some weight,I said why I am a size 3 ,went to the doctors and he said omg ar you ok we ned to put you in the hosp,So when you hear people say gain weight or stop losing.then maybe you are getting to thin but you don't think you are.
    Just branching off of the 'see your bones' comment. I don't get this. Yes, you can 'see my bones'..why is that a bad thing? I can see my ribs, my hip bones, shins, ect. There's no muscle covering all of these bones, and so the only 'covering' would be adipose tissue. There's NO purpose to having fat tissue covering every inch of your body. I'm at a healthy 124lbs 5'7" with lots of muscle.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time from my family. So annoying and rude. I'm very proud of the way I look now and the weight I've lost. I feel great. I wish they would just say, "You look great!"
  • newlife888
    newlife888 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    lol I don't get that one a lot, hehe, except from my mother. I really do think she is trying to enable unhealthy eating habits and behaviors. I have responded to it up till now but I like the tactic of not saying anything at all.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time as well. I'm anywhere from 124 to 126 and am only 5 foot 3 and half. I just don't really say anything to acknowledge their comments and keep remembering my goals and that I'm doing this for me! ( And I'm not trying to lose weight but continue to lower my bodyfat.)
  • Mady1911
    Mady1911 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yes, my husband and my GP( I'm in UK). The rest of the family hasn't seen me since my weight loss, but my brother in law who did said: 'what in the world happened to you?' 30 pounds is not a lot and I'm halfway in the healthy BMI range, with 23.5% Body fat, about 2 pounds away from my goal, 5ft7 and 29 yo. Well, they can say whatever they want! I have set myself a goal and I'll reach it. I take it people are afraid of change, in others or themselves! I'll carry on with exercising and keeping a healthy body through good food choices and exercising and leave everyone else to their own choices!
  • rawstrongchick
    rawstrongchick Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I only ever get this from women. I find that there are certain individuals who have their own personal agenda when they come into contact with another comparable female who they feel is slimmer/healthier/better shape than they are. Their over eating issue suddenly gets twisted into it being my under eating issue (obviously not something I suffer from! They clearly haven't seen me with homemade chocolate!), and the comments start reining down.

I have three close family members (one now estranged) who are very competitive about who is the slimmest and quick to pull each other apart. It's like handbags at dawn when they all get together! I keep right out of that one!
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Not read the whole thread but re the OP's initial point I totally agree - people were quite happy to see me getting fatter without saying anything, but family now always say 'well you don't need to lose any more weight'. It's really quite annoying!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I pay no attention to overweight people who comments on someone else weight.
  • Grumbers
    Grumbers Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm already experiencing this. My target weight is 15 stone. Even at 6ft 5, that's not small. That's the top end of my supposed "healthy range".

People are already saying "you don't need to lose 3 stone, you're a big guy, you should be carrying that etc etc".

Now I know they mean it in a kind way and I don't look heavily overweight, but it's not really helping. I think people, especially family are used to you looking a certain way and don't like change. Also maybe it makes them reflect on their own issues which they'll have to address if you sort yourself out.

Let's be honest losing 3 stone as an 18 stone guy is not as dramatic as someone going from 12 stone to 9.

Keep fighting the good fight all!
  • otter090812
    otter090812 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad someone raised this. I thought it was just me!

I got this a lot the only other time I lost weight, even before I reached my so-called 'healthy' BMI. I lost the weight slowly, without being neurotic about it, but people couldn't cope with the change. It used to drive me nuts getting those comments.

Anyway, fast forward a few years, unfortunately the lbs are back, but with MFP I think I'm better equipped to make the full lifestyle change that's needed to keep the lost lbs off. I've lost about a quarter of the 58lbs I'm trying to lose. This goal would take me back to the top of the 'healthy' BMI zone. Yet, the 'you're not going to lose anymore?' thing has started already with one colleague. I know BMI can be misleading, but for goodness sake, I'm still well into the 'obese' category!
  • nicenhealthy
    Options
    one time i cut off my super long hair to shoulder length hair because my aunty told me never to cut it. :laugh: she was so pissed. basically... when people try and control me, i make them shut-up/be more respectful to my choices... and then carry on my merry ol' way.
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm so sick of hearing this comment. I also hear things like "you are invisible", "you needs to gain weight for the winter to keep warm", "theres nothing left to you!", "you are what? like 70lbs?".
    I am 5'3", 122lbs, I am FAR from too skinny, I am int he perfectly healthy range for my height . I guess they are so used to seeing me much bigger that it will take time for them to adjust to the new me. I've been smaller then this before, and never heard such comments.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Just tell those people to **** off. That will do the trick.
  • dezb64
    dezb64 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Yes all the time.
  • tfleischer
    tfleischer Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    No one has ever said that to me.
    I guess the first one that does, I will kiss full on on the mouth. Maybe with a little tongue.

Seriously though, I do know some people will work against you and that may be one of those tactics. Others think it is a way of giving a backhanded compliment, as in, "Damn girl you are looking so fine you should not lose any more weight...." or as a way of being encouraging, "If you lose anymore weight you will just blow away."

Some of that may be regional to the South, though.

If they are serious, you might explain to them what healthy weight really is....
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've heard this all the time. I agree sometimes it's "sort of" a compliment...but 95% of the time I get this from coworkers. When I'd almost reached my goal I got it a lot, then afterwards too. After my illness and surgery this year, when I started back exercising and losing the about 25 lbs I'd gained during the past year's sickness, I've had a lot of these backhanded comments from coworkers. Ex. Where'd you gain it at?! You don't need to lose weight! You're too skinny now! Just one piece of cake won't kill you!

At my workplace there is a lot of eating, junk food, potlucks, parties so to say it is not an easy environment to lose weight at is a severe understatement. Someone is always trying to get me to eat something not so good for me or my calorie allotment. And if you don't join in the eating....then I get the comments. A lot of times I will take break with them but bring my own snack etc. but that doesn't help too much keeping the comments at bay. Most of my coworkers are overweight and not interested in healthy eating. And truthfully some of the comments ARE meant to be sabotaging to my progress. But I've gotten better at the fake smile and just saying I'm still working on where I want to be.