Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    just do what makes you happy !
  • sassy1grl
    sassy1grl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'6", current weight is 159.8 and 12 lbs from a healthy bmi. i have actually been told not to get too skinny and that i look haggard. seriously? whatever. i dismissed the comment and just ignore her every time she talks to me about my weight anymore.
  • amandatapar
    amandatapar Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    People say this to me now. I'm 143.8 pounds at 5'8" tall and everyone thinks it is okay to tell me how much to lose. I'm still in the healthy weight range for my height and my goal weight is only 3.8 pounds away. I'm still very healthy. No one is used to seeing me this small. I usually just say thank you for their concern but I'm doing okay and leave it at that.
  • musiqueange
    musiqueange Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I used to have friends who told me they wouldn't recognize me if I was skinny and... ouch, that hurts a bit! Granted, this was more than a few years ago but still. Not sure if we're still friends now...
  • ckone4me
    ckone4me Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I think the remark is due to the people we know not being accustomed to seeing us thinner. I have heard the same remark from those arohnd me! I too am now at a healthy weight, but in the upper numbers as well at 5' 5" and 148lbs. I still have areas that need toning and reducing, so my journey to a thinner me is not over.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    My Mom and I have been losing weight together and something she has always said is you would look great at such and such a weight. That such and such is always 10 to 20 pounds heavier than her goal weight, so I agree, they don't want to see you succeed because it makes them feel fat. I want to get to 132 pounds at 5ft 5in and muscular. I weigh 188 pounds right now. So forget them saying you are to skinny, people have a warped sense on what to skinny is.
    Also, it takes people a few years to forget how skinny you are and how fat you were. I was 164 before my last 3 kids and I had come down from 289 and everyone thought I was skinny. I was flowing out of a size 12 dress, I wasn't skinny at all. Even today I see pictures of myself at that weight and I was still chunky so don't let people dictate your goal, take a picture and decide if you are where you want to be.
  • Guinivere
    Guinivere Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Without exception all the people who have commented on my new slimmer figure are overweight or obese.

Including my family.

People seem to feel the need to get me to agree with them that I've lost enough now, or that I must admit I look good.

It's so annoying because if I say Yes, I'm actually lying to shut them up. It feels so false. Makes me want to layer up my clothes so I look bigger and don't attract comments.

Some of you are so right, no one ever says, " I think you're piling on the pounds - time for a diet don't you think?" In the office they are a bunch of feeders who just try to get everyone to eat cakes, samosas, chocolate, biscuits etc. it's not good. Most of those people use the lift to go DOWN one floor when they eventually prise themselves from their desks.

I'm not on a diet, losing weight is a happy side effect of my permanent lifestyle change. My body will stop losing weight when it's ready to and in a great place. No-one wants to hear that.

I think I'll take a couple of these ideas on this thread and employ them. I'll just say I'm working on my body composition and toning.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me at all. As long as they're saying it, I know I look good. Plain and simple.

When they -stop- saying it, that's when I'll get worried.

:)

S
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! My mother looked at me yesterday, and said, you need to GAIN weight! Like, seriously? I'm still flabby, and I am at the high end of the healthy weight range. I don't want to be borderline! Can't they let me be healthy? And last night, she purposely bought food I love, very unhealthy food, and shoved it in my face trying to make me eat it... Gahh..
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my entire family keeps telling me this, and it makes me angry.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I used to have friends who told me they wouldn't recognize me if I was skinny and... ouch, that hurts a bit! Granted, this was more than a few years ago but still. Not sure if we're still friends now...

I actually ran into someone I know from church - we aren't really friends, but we saw each other all the time before I started teaching in a different age group during the same week I started MFP. She actually didn't know who I was because we were away from the usual context of picking up kids from Sunday School. I scared her when I called her by name. (Is it mean that I thought of that as an NSV?)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Why do people think its okay to say this? People would never have turned and said to me "please don't gain any more weight" but the number of friends, family members and patients that say "please dont lose any more weight" to me is astonishing! I'm not even skinny!! I'm a nice healthy 142-145 at 5'4 and at the top end of a 'healthy BMI'. I dunno.....it just annoys me! Anybody else encountering this or criticisms for losing?!

I hear it all the time...from the same people....even though I've already informed them of the fact that according to the BMI I've only JUST squeaked out of ''obese'' and into plain old ''overweight" by about a pound and I would still have another 30 to go before I'd even hit the top end of my ''normal'' range. They just shake their heads and say ''noooooo, you can't weigh THAT much!!"....oh. Well since YOU say I ''can't" I guess it must not be true! Bring on the ice cream :P
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it! My mother looked at me yesterday, and said, you need to GAIN weight! Like, seriously? I'm still flabby, and I am at the high end of the healthy weight range. I don't want to be borderline! Can't they let me be healthy? And last night, she purposely bought food I love, very unhealthy food, and shoved it in my face trying to make me eat it... Gahh..

dude. that's rude! :O
  • lindabee77
    lindabee77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am about 5'8" and went from about 160 to maybe 135 and am around 140 now. I ran into a guy I haven't seen for a while and we were talking when he interrupts me to say how I've really lost weight. First he asks me if I'm sick, then he asks how much weight I lost. I said like 20 pounds and then he says "Was that really necessary?" Can you imagine him asking me "Was that really necessary?" if I had gained 20 pounds??
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I recently went bowling with a long time friend, who happens to be overweight, she hadn't seen me in almost a year. So anyways she did not like what she saw, I was too skinny in her mind. She actually said, "I'm going to pray for you, I'm concerned for your health." I bit my tongue, and calmly explained I'm just eating better and exercising then quickly changed the subject.
  • dinnael3
    Options
    Yes, my father told me the same. Some men just worry about us loosing too much especially when one grows older...so not to look too old, I guess lol. My ideal for 5'4" is 130 lbs.
    Maintaining is the hardest. I am re-starting from the beginning. 40 more to go.
  • marilandica
    marilandica Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm annoyed by the "don't lose anymore" comments -- what the hell do these people know? I'm far from gaunt and still in the high 1/3 of the healthy BMI zone. Sheesh. More annoying? "Now if you would just curl your hair and put on a little make-up." Gah. I don't tell you to stop wearing clown makeup, stinky hairspray and tacky clothes, so you need to butt the fudge out of my sartorial choices. But, I just smile at them and move on. Even more annoying? "You're not going to eat that bread on that sandwich are you" while they're standing there overweight holding a plate full of fried and heavily sauced food. Amazing how a successful weight loss generates all sorts of unsolicited dieting advice from people who are in no position to be giving it. Again, however, I smile and move on.

What I don't smile and move on about is "how much have you lost?" from various and sundry men I work with. Are you kidding me? I look right at them and say "I'm not going to tell you that any more than I'm going to tell you how much I weigh. Here's a tip. Don't EVER ask a woman that question. In fact, don't ask anyone that question. It's rude."
  • nicolen160
    nicolen160 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time and I don't understand it, I am no no where near 'too skinny' for someone to say that. I think it's just that they are use to seeing you a certain way and they just can't imagine it. I have lost 102lbs and yes I look different but I am still overweight according to my BMI, plus I am 6'0" tall!! I say you stop when you are comfortable with you and reach the goal you want and don't worry about what any one else thinks!
  • BrittanyMegan88
    BrittanyMegan88 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I get people telling me now that I'm too skinny & need to gain back some weight. :/
    I think it's really rude..
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I get people telling me now that I'm too skinny & need to gain back some weight. :/
    I think it's really rude..

I've had some of these comments too. I think people try to scare me into putting weight back on. Telling me my organs will suffer soon. Nice. Real nice.