Less Alcohol - DECEMBER 2019 - One Day at a Time

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Thankyou MissMay the thread helped us Hubby y (me the support system) to make it through the holidays.See you next year same time same issues. Someday will walk into a restaurant to family event the drink list to drink table won’t tempt like it has. (I try to make the waitress take it y while he wants to look at it then regrets it ) . One sip is fine for some - others it leads to a table full of empty glasses y regret. Hugs have a Happy 2020
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Thankyou MissMay the thread helped us Hubby y (me the support system) to make it through the holidays.See you next year same time same issues. Someday will walk into a restaurant to family event the drink list to drink table won’t tempt like it has. (I try to make the waitress take it y while he wants to look at it then regrets it ) . One sip is fine for some - others it leads to a table full of empty glasses y regret. Hugs have a Happy 2020

Thank you, same to you too!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,548 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @JRsLateInLifeMom you are very welcome for all of our threads participants combined efforts to help you and your husband through the holiday pull towards too much.
    We want to THANK YOU as well for all the very informative lists you provided to us while you visited. Be well and less drinking success to you both. See you next year! 😉
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @MissMay ...thank you for your recent NOT post.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @forestdweller1 are you testing us, to see if we are reading your posts correctly?? LOL Hey you have had one heck of an AF run indeed.WOW 4.5 months...that is control and determination. GIANT applaud to you woman.
    We have all tested the waters and done our share of falling face first into the puddle. I have faith you will know when enough is enough.
    Car is filling up fast, you may have to sit on my lap.🤣
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Made it 4 1/2 months AF, and am tasting my limits...LOL. I just saw that I typed "tasting" instead of "testing"...calling Dr. Freud.
    Anyway, stopping at 3 wee 3 ounce glasses is my limit, but one or two is enough. Four leads to the thought of five, and directly to the bottom of the bottle. Keeping a good supply of AF beer, because there is no need to wine every night. It's my choice, and I'm the one making my choices. With a little help from Cat who hates the smell of alcohol.
    @MissMay , I'm joining you in the crowd in @marcvb35 's car, encouraging him to detour around the liquor store. We all know that it's a bumpy road. Hang in there !!

Nice job! 4 1/2 months is quite a nice stretch.
  • MissMay
    Options
    @NovusDies you wrote what I think many of us also feel during the holidays. The big step is admitting it. We dont have to follow the pack if we dont want to.
    Enjoy the holidays whatever way makes you feel best, without guilt.
  • MissMay
    edited December 2019
    Options
    marcvb35 wrote: »
    my car did feel full on the drive home. all my flasks and whisky bottles are empty since i typically finish what i start! all i have in the house is enough vodka (leftover bloody mary sunday) for about one stiff drink (maybe 4-6oz) but i don't like vodka much!

learned how to loose weight 2 years ago without exercise. 2 months ago i quit smoking but started vaping, now i am trying to quit that, and i really do like having a drink (nope don't want to quit just yet) i just need to slow down

thank you all for the support

💜💜💜 small steps....BIG results.
  • MissMay
    Options
    Office Christmas party tonight. I did drink but I definitely had less than I normally would so that counts as a win. I even left when there was still wine in my glass and an unfinished bottle on the table. Bonus points for being home and in bed at a sensible time given it's a work day tomorrow.

Nice job while out having Christmas cheer and being responsible.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    My goal is 16-20 AF days for the month.
    I didn't get there in October, ended up with 10 or 11AF days
    November tally 19AF days out of 30 days.
    New month : - )

December 01 - 3 drinks
    December 02 - AF
    December 03 - 3 drinks, Tuesday.
    December 04 - AF - Time to rack up a few AF days before all of the holiday festivities. Or at least try to get back to 2AF days in between drinks days.
    December 05 - AF
    December 06 - 3 drinks - I felt them more than usual, just 2 AF days, but they really hit me. Mind you, I barely eat during the day when I am running around working. I am thinking of you @Womona when you say that they are hitting you more strongly since you have cut down. Many glasses of water since the drinks, and off to bed soon.
    December 07 - AF - had the urge several times, just waited it out.
    December 8 - A bunch of drinks starting with a tree decorating at a friend's place. Tried to keep it at a half shot per drink to stay less alcohol. Kind of lost track, but they were all very small. All good. Planning on AF tomorrow. Tuesday is yet to be seen.
    December 09 - AF
    December 10 - AF - Yes, it is a Tuesday, my designated drinks day, but I am having a very busy week and have a party to go to on Friday where I might have drinks, so skipping the drinks tonight.
    December 11 - AF - Really fought that urge many times after work, but stayed AF. Trying to rack a few up before all of the holiday parties.
    December 12 - AF. Made up a pot of Mulled Wine to take to the party tomorrow night. Tasted it a few times with a fraction of a teaspoon and adjusted the sugar, but am not counting that. I really wanted to have a few glasses of it because it tasted so good, but I will have some at the party tomorrow. AF 4 days in a row for the first time @MissMay!
    December 13 - Mulled wine. So glad that I didn't give in to it Thursday night while cooking it, because it tasted amazing having sat 24 hours. Feeling a bit foggy today (the 14th).
    December 14 - AF
    December 15 - 3 drinks. Started with the leftover mulled wine that wouldn't fit in the vessel to take to the party (2 or 3 ounces), then kind of went "well, not going to be an AF day. That is how it goes for me. AF tomorrow for sure.
    December 16 - AF
    December 17 - Tuesday, 3 drinks. I definitely eat more, and different things when I have alcohol, which is one of the very big reasons to decide to cut back. At my own pace. Your post about other ways to de-stress @MissMay is so lovely and important. I am still using booze to numb myself and relax after stressful days. For sure I understand that deprivation leads to bingeing, so I am not depriving myself by giving myself "drinks days" but I still think that I can do better. I still eat sandwiches, but I only eat 1/2 of one now, for instance. By cutting back on drinking I am limiting the days that I do it. Work in progress.

Running Tally: 10 AF day out of 17 days so far.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,553 Member
    Options
    So many great posts today, I don't know where to start. Or maybe I should just say a big thank you to our little community for sharing and uplifting.
    @MissMay always, you are such a rockstar.
    @NovusDies your words are inspiring and jolting all at the same time. Yes, the holidays are better when alert! I am planning some hot apple cider for a few events eschewing mulled wine (yes I will still be making it for some requested events, but for others will bring the hot mulled cider)
    @marcvb35 Yup, was in the car with all the others, pulling for you!
    @helen_goldthorpe Good on you for partaking but keeping it reasonable. I love the way that you prioritize your goals and make them happen. An inspiration for sure!
    @forestdweller1 Still laughing about test/taste : - ) You did great! and you are so right, we are the ones making the choices. Very sage.
    and @LoveyChar - Well, you are just lovey : - )

Happy to be a part of this group, especially around the holiday season when we are all encountering lots of parties and celebrations...and challenges.

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Lots of good posts! It’s been a busy month for all. I have not been as successful as I had hoped - just 5 days AF this month, but that’s five more than last year and my indulgence has not been more than two glasses. So that’s good! More parties this week but going to try and get a few more days without wine this week! Keep up the good work all, I like how we can change habits and make changes, even if they are small!
  • MissMay
    Options
    @SanDiegofitmom I feel you have been very successful this month in comparison to last December. You were struggling a lot last year, so much going on in your life. I remember you said you would not buy the alcohol you liked but then would go drink your husbands even though you did not care for it. Then having to move and find another place to live. That right there is stress. It warms my heart that you came back in here to get on track and to get our support again.
    Guess we all will be attending those parties with you to keep you focused! Going to need to buy a small bus to get us all around.
    Enjoy(to your limit)
  • MissMay
    edited December 2019
    Options
    *Feeling comfort and joy today. ❄🌲💜

• marcvb35
    marcvb35 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    drank half my normal last night. had bad dreams and woke up shaking, sweating, and in pain but i do not think it was from the dreaming.
    tonight i do not plan on buying a bottle. probably should have tapered down longer but i realize i finish the bottle or pass out. hopefully i see you all tomorrow.
    12/13 - well i made it till 7pm. then the wife found out only one day tapering before drinking again on the weekend. we went out and got a bottle to ration out. i set a less aggressive goal that shouldn't shock the body to much. slept great!
    12/14 - had my rations last night. slept good. same rations today. less tomorrow. never has a bottle lasted so long
    12/15 - epic fail.
    12/16 - new week. i know i have the willpower to food diet so today i start my alcohol diet. again.
    12/17 - slightly less. slept way to good. if i can resist buying a bottle on the way home, tonight will be just one night cap.

12/18 - well i did not catch a buzz from the night cap, i woke up many times last night, that means that i must have fell asleep just as many times, over 600 calories under goal without my normal whisky calories. going to try and not pick up a bottle till friday.