WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did Kelly Coffee Meyer’s Shape Up DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Beachbody 10 Minute Trainer DVD

Had our mahjongg Christmas party. I think I was pretty good. Had a bite of the appetizer I brought to be sure it was OK, a tiny bit of this tuna salad and a tiny bit of this seafood salad, tea only to drink, one piece of cheese (I'm addicted to cheese, but I really didn't want to swallow it) and a small chocolate ball. Then I came home and had some Greek yogurt. In a way, it’s a blessing in disguise that I burned my mouth so. I really have no desire to eat because it’ll hurt. I made a spinach “wreath”. I’m going to make one for Rummikub Tuesday so I’ll take a pic of it then.

Made these sweet potato muffins for the family of a friend of Jess because they send us this barbecue every year. They live in Memphis. Then I made cornbread muffins to have for Christmas.

Well, Denise just emailed Vince that she wasn’t coming. She said that she needs to do what’s best for her family (no, she wants to do what’s easiest for her). She wants us and Jess to come up there. Does she REALLY think Jess can afford a hotel??? She’s paying for her education as it is. Denise doesn’t realize how expensive it is because we paid for her education. We were willing to pay in full for her to get a bachelor’s degree, but she felt she only wanted an Associates. OK. I just emailed saying that we were getting Pete 3 gifts, Denise 3, PJ 3, Jess 3, Colby 3. Well, now looks like we have 9 less we have to buy. I am willing to bet she expects that when we go there in May we’ll give her her Christmas gifts. I’ll just say that we hadn’t bought them yet (which is true) and since she wasn’t coming, we just didn’t get them. I know that no matter what, she’s going to do what she wants to do and that is not to come here. Well, I’ll just keep the high chair. I made PJ a stocking but we can just put that away.

Flea – why should I go out of my way to mail Denise her gifts. Well, now I don’t even have to buy them. And the picture I made for her and Pete, I can just give them for their birthdays. They’re not holiday themed. For YEARS we’ve gone out of our way for Denise. Many was the year that we paid to fly her down here, last year we had Christmas on another date to accommodate her and Pete’s schedule. We made plans to have it an alternate date this year (which is fine). Now she’s saying that “people” are asking her if she’s comfortable traveling with a baby. No, it isn’t that people are asking. It’s that Denise isn’t comfortable. The last time Vince talked to them, Pete didn’t have a problem driving. She said how she goes out of her way to make people happy. Really? By not even offering me something to eat???? That’s going out of her way. After PJ was born she and Pete promised that we’d facetime all the time. I asked her what was a good time. I’m still waiting for an answer. In a way it sounds a bit to me like post-partum depression. The last time she sent me any pictures of PJ was at Halloween. Denise wants us to go up there – do you REALLY think she’ll make a Christmas dinner???? She only has service (plates, bowls, etc) for 4. “A newly married couple with a baby” who calls very infrequently? We’ve gone up there multiple times, she can’t come down here once? PJ never gets to see his grandparents except at his house? I’m just very hurt. I have most of the food bought and/or made for two separate dinners, and two weeks before Christmas Denise wants us to drop everything and go up there? When there isn’t even room for Jess and us?

Beth – I guess if Denise sends us something, I would consider going and buying her something. But as it is right now, I have more on my mind. I need to plan two dinners (only because she said that she was coming on an alternate date so I invited others) so right now I’m not going to go out of my way. Maybe later in the month. She knows that we do a lot of decorating. So does Pete. There is no way we could bring everything in, go to DE, then turn around and go to FL. That’s unreasonable. Forgive me, I’m just hurt and upset right now.

Sharon – let’s see more of you! Always a good thing

Help me, I don’t want to stress eat. Well, Vince has all the lights and special ornaments on the main tree, so I can decorate it which will help get my mind off Denise.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Good for you to get your measles vaccination! I’m a proponent of vaccinations to protect yourself and family from contagious diseases. I had a series of two shots to prevent shingles a couple of years ago. They were administered a few weeks apart and were aimed at people who had chickenpox as children. DH has refused to take the shots so far. It worries me. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

I was supposed to get my shingles vax yesterday too, but there was a bit of a mix-up and now I'll get it on Jan 10 instead. In a way, I'm kind of glad there's space between my measles vax and the shingles vax. I had chicken pox twice as a child. Once really mildly and once really badly ... so I do want that shingles vax.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    I'm continuing to do a few minutes of decluttering everyday, and now also tackling the necessary VA forms. He has been calm and pleasant that past few days, and I think playing holiday music for about an hour a day is helping. He remembers many of the songs, and if he doesn't, he at least moves to the beat. Music is so healing on so many levels.

I agree!

Poerava14 wrote: »
    #28: Small thing happened today – DH and Mars the cat both slept until 8 AM! It was so nice to take the extra 90 minutes to rest in bed.

Take care friends. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

:)

• Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    KJ: The Christmas Ships parade is a longtime tradition. The boats will be wonderful. This is a group of Portland area boaters who light up their boats with Christmas themes and parade every evening up until Christmas. We look forward to their annual visit. They’re on the Columbia and Willamette Rivers in Portland nightly for weeks and make one trip to parade for us and another location downstream on the Washington side of the river. They’ll spend the night at our city docks and go up the Multnomah Channel the next night. That will lead them back to the Willamette River in Portland. :smiley:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

That sounds lovely!

Just yesterday I found out there's a Christmas train here in Tasmania! I'm going to see if we're anywhere close to it when it goes through. I like things like that. :) I wish our local Botanical Gardens would decorate for Christmas too ... we were in the San Diego botanical garden right around Christmas in 2012 and they had decorated everything. It was really nice.

M in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    🌻🐞
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

no gym workout today, went to work early

bike ride hm 2 gym, windy- 8.13min, 11.6amph, 141mhr, 1.58mi= 90c
    apple watch- 63c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.15min, 17amph, 134mhr, 1.48mi= 54c
    apple watch- 45c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 17.19min, 10.8amph, 146mhr, 3.10mi= 163c
    apple watch- 100c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.26min, 9.38min mi, 147mhr, .56mi= 72c
    apple watch- 60c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.35min, 145mhr, 10.12min mi, .45mi= 69c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 14.15min, 10.7amph, 150mhr, 2.52mi= 252c
    apple watch- 121c

total cal 700
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    khrzu3jym06x.png

:)Annie, this looks like just what you need to see right now.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    Options
    :)Machka, thanks for the link. I love everything I've heard or read from Courtney Carver
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    3oe3vx3sb6v2.jpeg
    Machka- tried out your quotes but the 2yr old put his foot down lol. He wedged himself under his light weight foot powered car 🚗 said “Are you oookaaaay?”
    Lol what a goofball he is wanted attention,so much for trying out my new vibrating heated shoulder wrap! Thing felt good for those few fleeting minutes.

Amber Tx

I see this kid being in Theater like his Sister but way way way over the top when he does it.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    We went through these 30 Days of Gratitude in November last year. Feel free to join in whenever you'd like ...

mozs13csyrr4.png

All right ... it's mid November and this will take us through to mid December ... just in time for Christmas!! :)

Day 1 - November 15 - Smell: My sense of smell is limited and my husband no longer has a sense of smell (or taste) since his accident. However, I can catch a faint scent from the roses and freesias he has grown, which are all coming into bloom.

I'm thankful that he has been able to garden and that we have so many lovely flowers and veggies growing and blooming. :)

Day 2 - November 16 - Technology: My laptop, my phone, email, facebook ... the fact that technology exists! :) It's what I do ... it's what I learn ... it's how I communicate with family and friends.

Day 3 - November 17 - Colour: Well ... I'm thankful for the bright colours on my table. Especially since this spring has been quite gloomy. They make me smile. :)

Day 4 - November 18 - Food: I'm thankful for my weekday lunches ... chicken, rice and veg. :)

Day 5 - November 19 - Sound: How applicable! I just got my laptop connected to my stereo!! I am appreciating the nice soothing music in the evenings. :)

Day 6 - November 20 - Nature: All of it! I am very thankful that there is nature ... animals and plants, water, rocks, mountains, hills, all of it. I'm glad I live in a place where I can see and experience nature. I couldn't live in the middle of a large city. My ideal would be in a small town or right on the edge of a larger one so I could be surrounded by countryside in seconds.

Day 7 - November 21 - Memory: I'm thankful for memory. I'm thankful that my husband has some of his memory - he's pretty good at past memories and procedural memories. I'm glad he didn't lose that. I'm also thankful that, with a bit of effort, I've been able to improve my memory a bit. I've discovered that if I focus and work at it, I can remember people's names at least some of the time! I've had to be my husband's memory.

Day 8 - November 22 - Book: Most grateful ... the Bible. It's been a comfort to me, especially in recent times.

Also grateful for books in general.

The last 18 months I've switched to reading "children's" books. I've also found them comforting.

Day 9 - November 23 - Place: I'm thankful for my bed!! Although I'm not there nearly as much as I'd like to be, my bed has become one of my favourite places to be. There I can lose myself in books or sleep. :heart:

That said, I need to get a new pillow. Might have to see about doing that tomorrow if possible.

Day 10 - November 24 - Taste! Well, there are only 4 of them: salt, sweet, bitter, sour, and I've written them in order of preference. :)

I am thankful I have all 4 but I wish my husband did again.

Day 11 - November 25 - Holiday: How appropriate ... one month before Christmas. :) Christmas is my favourite public holiday. I'm love the music, the decorations, the food, the Christmas Carol evenings, the lights, and the celebration of Jesus birth. I'm thankful that we have a Christmas holiday.

As for holidays in general, I enjoy any opportunity to a) take time off work, and b) travel. I'm very thankful I live and work in Australia where I get quite a decent amount of holiday time. :)

Day 12 - November 26 - Texture: Smooth. Since the measles (?) in 2016, I need to wear very smooth clothes. I've been thankful to find such things at a good price.

And the soft texture of the fur of kitties. :)

Day 13 - November 27 - Abilities: I am very thankful for my organisational skills. I don't know how I would have survived with the past 20 months without them!!

Deep breath ...

Day 14 - November 28 - Sight: What sight am I grateful for?

The sight of all the roses and other flowers in our garden. :)
    The view from our dining room window out over the water. :)
    The beach my bus goes by morning and evening ... sometimes there is sea wildlife out there. I've seen dolphins, a stingray and a whale! :)
    The mountain behind the city. :)

Psalm 121
    A song of ascents.
    1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
    2 My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

Day 15 - November 29 - Season: Summer. I'm always thankful for summer! The warmth. The long daylight hours. I come alive in summer. :) One more day till summer!

Day 16 - November 30 - My Body: I'm thankful for my brain and my legs. My brain, because it often has to be a brain for two of us now and although it fails me now and then, I'm so glad things like my memory seem to have improved. And my legs because they are what carry me around and allow me to do things like cycling and running.

Day 17 - December 1 - Knowledge: Coincidentally, my current course is Knowledge Management. :) I appreciate everything I've learned through formal education, experience, and life in general. I'm especially thankful for being at a point where I feel reasonably comfortable around computers ... but can still learn more! Even just today, I learned how to add contacts into my phone.

Day 18 - December 2 - Piece of Art: Hmmm ... I am thankful for my sister-in-law's art and gifts to us. :) She has given us paintings, wood carvings, and vases.

One of her vases ...
    wxw16qqq2dk4.png

Day 19 - December 3 - Touch: My husband's hugs! There were a few months when I thought I'd never have his hugs again. His hugs were one thing I dreamt about during those months.

Day 20 - December 4 - Who in my life am I grateful for? My parents ... who have been so supportive of me through all I've done and been through. I love them both and hope that one day, in a few years, we'll be able to live closer to them again. :heart:

Day 21 - December 5 - What song am I grateful for? This is a really difficult one. I like music of all sorts!! And what I listen to on a particular day largely depends on my mood. I'm just generally thankful for music! :)

Day 22 - December 6 - What story am I grateful for? The Christmas story is special. And the little stories that make up our lives ... "Remember when ... " :)

Day 23 - December 7 - Tradition. Hmmm ... I don't do a lot of traditions, I don't think. My birthday weekend might be a new tradition. I've been actively doing that for the 10 years I've lived in Australia. At Christmas, I probably have the most traditions and I am thankful for them for the connections ...

Day 24 - December 8 - Challenge. The biggest challenge of my 52 years of life was when my husband had a workplace accident which resulted in a severe brain injury 20 months ago. I'm struggling to be thankful for that.

Challenges I am more thankful for are all the opportunities I've had to cycle long, long, long, ultra long distances. :) I hope to be able to dabble in that again.

Day 25 - December 9 - Moments This Week. In the 7 days that has passed, I'm probably most thankful for the at-home weekend during which time I was able to finish my first assignment for my current course.

Day 26 - December 10 - Form of Expression. Writing, I think. I write much better than I speak. I'm much more comfortable sitting down and writing something rather than talking to someone. I'd really miss the ability to write.

Day 27 - December 11 - What small thing that I use daily am I thankful for? Lots of things!! But just for fun, I'll say ... my big comb! :grin:

Day 28 - December 12 - What small thing that happened today am I grateful for? Coming home at the end of a very long day, hopping into my pjs, and putting on The Lost Christmas (Trans Siberian Orchestra). And just moments before all that, walking from the bus to home with my husband and spotting the Christmas lights on our house. They were a nice welcome. :)

I'll have to take a more recent picture this weekend ... this is from 2016. This year the lights are more zig-zag.

xk3b7myar91j.png

Day 29 - December 13 - What friend/family member are you grateful for? I've mentioned my parents earlier (Day 20), so this time, I'm going to say certain friends at work. The people I work with are generally great, but there are a few that stand out ... ones who I can talk to and who understand. :)

Day 30 - December 14 - What talent or skill do you have that you are grateful for?

When I think of talents, I usually think of something artistic, which really isn't my area of expertise ... but then I looked up lists of talents and saw one that I can relate to: attention to detail. My attention to detail was part of the reason I gained employment in engineering technology and database administration. For that I'm thankful. :)

:heart: I'm also thankful for the reminders to be thankful over the past 30 days . :heart: It has been a nice way to approach the Christmas season. :heart:

Machka in Oz