WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    The bike build for Children in Distress was a hoot. My team won first place. It was more than just building bikes. After rounds of Rock, Paper, Scissors were the winner started the "circle" we counted off 1,2,3 for teams. We then had to create a team cheer and design license plates for each bike while our "leader" was being trained on how to use the iPad and how we "earned" points for the bike, lock, and helmet. I wrote a song to the tune of jingle bells while the rest of the team designed the license plates. We had to earn 2000 points just to get a bike to build and each team built two, one for a girl and one for a boy. Winners were determined by the number of points (6000 for both bikes, helmets, and locks), which team was inspected "first" for the first bike and then "first" for the second bike, and finally team spirit and the "jingle". The team was great and we all chipped in with the process while our leader was taking videos, answering questions, etc. on the iPad. While building we had to "video" different things like pretending to teach someone how to ride a bike, our first job and the lessons learned, etc.. There were also tons of bike history questions to answer (Machka you would have loved those) and general trivia questions. We earned 7200 points for good measure.

pqcltlzt3mgl.png

SuziQ - SFL

The whole thing sounds great!! :):)

Of course, I'm a bit curious what questions were asked. :grin:

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I’ve calmed down some (I told you I was the emotional person, Vince is the very logical one). I would probably send PJ his gifts, Denise and Pete a gift certificate. But I don’t know what to get them for the third present since they never sent me their lists.

Michele in NC

Why does there need to be three presents?

• Machka9

Wendy - you are missed. And so is Rye!

Lanette
    Chilly and wet SW WA State

Yes! I've been thinking about Wendy a lot lately with the New Zealand situation.

@wildhorsewendy
    @ryenday

And we haven't heard from @Snowflake1968 recently. :)

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Irish Terri Your house lights are fab!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    3qdtbmyt36um.jpeg
    Snowflake logged in Today Machka think she’s just busy probably skimming the feed but she hasn’t given up on loosing the weight.
    Amber Tx
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10714976/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2019#latest

She’s still here

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Lindaporter- Sounds delicious 😋! I had plain chicken today ...no flavor but worked made mayo sandwiches 🥪. For Dinner chicken taco for myself with banana peppers y avocados 🥑.

Amber Tx

I got the poor mans diet going since baby JR takes up my day. I did get me some G Hughes BBQ 10calories to dip my tacos in yummmy sweet BBQ
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,188 Member
    edited December 2019
    Terri - I think I have the same lights as you. They are fab! I've got them on a natural Christmas tree which is growing in the front garden. Mine are only battery driven though.

Lindaporter- I LOVE your before and after photos. Total transformation! :D

Pub lunch today with DH's elder daughter and her boyfriend. It's up near Horsham, where I lived as a teenager.
    I would much prefer her to come here, but she wants to meet halfway. Hey ho. :| Hope the food is ok and they aren't playing Christmas music. Grrrrrr! I will put on my best smile and be a good stepmother.
    These days I hate getting into cars and driving anywhere.

At 5 pm my brother and his wife are arriving. :D Still got one bed to make and a bathroom to clean and vacate. Not a long job.
    We might eat out or we could get takeaway. It's not as if you can starve in Hove!
    So happy to see them. <3 DH said, "I don't want another meal after lunch out!" I said, "You don't have to eat it." :#

Love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Sunday

Cycling - Zwift
    Distance: 16.28km
    Elevation: 200m 
    Moving Time: 47:25
    Elapsed Time:    49:08 

Speed: Avg:  20.6km/h  | Max:   56.9km/h
    Heart Rate: Avg:    131bpm | Max:    150bpm
    Cadence: Avg:     76 | Max:     99
    Power: Avg:     96W | Max:     153W

Rowing - Concept2
    Distance: 2,518m
    Moving Time: 17:19
    Elapsed Time:    17:19

Speed: Avg:    3:26/500m | Max:    2:58/500m
    Cadence: Avg:    27 | Max:    66
    Power: Avg:    40W  | Max:   58W

Treadmill - Walk/Run
    Distance: 3.04km
    Time: 31:20
    Pace: 10:17/km

Machka in Oz
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited December 2019
    Woops where did the week go? Typical isn't it, I don't have an active social life, but then 3 nights out in one week. No wonder I was tired ;)

Had a lovely train ride on the Northern Lights steam train last Sunday 8th December. This was with the Ladies Who .. group I have joined. We travelled by bus up to Pickering and then on the steam train - all decked out with fairy lights etc. The train ride lasted an hour - we had a brilliant time singing Christmas Carols and we had a Quiz as well as looking at the scenery which was lit up with colourful lights from the train. It was magical, really enjoyed it.

Then on Monday 9th I was out for a Christmas meal with ex colleagues from Nestle, ate far too much (too late) and felt ill most of Tuesday. Then out again on Wednesday with good friends for Sinatra Night at a restaurant where they had a chap singing like Frank Sinatra, we even manged to get up and have a little dance. This is the second time I've been to the Sinatra night and both times really enjoyed it.

I seem to have got so far behind, it will be hard to catch up, so hugs/prayers to those who are going through hard times. Congrats to those who are managing to keep their weight in check (I need to keep working on this!)

I will try to skim read, but need to catch up with wrapping presents and preparing for Christmas etc. The kitchen is almost finished, still need to sort out the flooring, but this will have to wait until next year, as I don't want to rush into it. I know what I am like for changing my mind. At least it is a functioning kitchen :)

Better get on, time is running away with me again.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Rose Congratulations on avoiding food at the Christmas events! Sounds like you are handling the holidays well

Barbara Looks like you are keeping up with a great amount of things getting ready for Christmas!

Allie So very sorry about the loss of your Chester! Losing fur babies is so difficult!

Grateful for: small thing daily – coffee maker 😉, small thing on 12/12 – my weighted blanket and the ability to rest when I am tired (retirement), friend/family member – DH wins on this one for sticking with me 25 years…I am not the easiest person to live with and he could have left me any time, but chose not to and I am indeed grateful

Heather Can’t agree more about our being present with our company. I am sincerely hoping to remember every day with grand daughter when she arrives is a gift. To show that she means so much to me, I must be present with her during each moment we have together…and that it is true with everyone in my life! I have outlived my Momma by 7 years and the truth is, we never know! Sure hope your DS and DH are feeling better quickly!

Machka Hope the biopsy goes well and that you don’t have a reaction to the vaccines

Lanette I love the forgiveness message! So true.

Janet Glad daughter is home. Hope she continues to improve. It’s always tough watching them making decisions we know are not necessarily the best, but I think it is wise to step back and pray.

Lisa I love the Son-in-Law mug! I wish I could get that, but my daughter won’t ever marry her boyfriend of 10+ years and they don’t make that for “domestic partner or common law” probably…she is truly a handful (like her mother) and I so appreciate how much he loves her! Hoping your daughter is able to wait to deliver a little longer.

Rebecca Love the wreath…except for the elf at the bottom…looks like the creepy elf on the shelf that I’m scared of. LOL

Oh, Allie!! What a horrible Thursday you had! I’m so sorry!

Michele I got tired reading all you were doing and the burned mouth as a solution to not eating??? Ouchy!! Hope you are taking care of yourself! I am so sorry you are going through the hurt and anger with Denise. It is hard living so far away from each other and working out plans for visits. I would end up going to see them at some time, but that’s just me. I hate missing any opportunity to see the kids and grandkids, but I also understand your disappointment.

I have been fortunate to not have shopping to do or much decorating!! As I read everyone else’s, I am very relieved we have stopped all of that! We only get gifts for the 3 grand children and our 2 children here in town. Just too expensive and the older kids can afford much more than we can! I remember back when I had a list of 24 plus teachers, etc. to buy for. It was so exhausting!

Barbie I’m with you on cutting down shopping multiple places. We shop mostly one store (3 blocks from home). I realize I could save a few dollars by shopping other stores, but the extra time and planning doesn’t seem worth it anymore. We also buy a lot online.

Dr. Katie Your “procrastinating on your procrastination study” gave me a chuckle!

Heather When reading about you hanging the big balls and DH being too sick…I was thinking, she is probably about to hang his balls at this point…

Lisa
    Great Ugly Christmas Sweater! I saw you didn’t get it but had to comment because it was cute!

KJ I think gratitude journals or calendars are a great gift. My daughter gave me my first bullet journal a couple of years ago which I have really enjoyed using and bought another for myself when that one was finished. One of the things I included was a daily gratitude list.

Lanette Do you have an old TV?? I’m pretty sure they spy on us, too. I can’t get over my phone listens to the music in the room and says what song is playing. It’s a constant reminder. Writing checks doesn’t save you as most places run them the same way they run a credit/debit card. I have just accepted that I am being watched and honestly, I don’t really care anymore. My eldest son works IT for a cyber security company and tells me things for shock factor. With machines learning faster than we can possibly learn, we can only imagine the possibilities.

Barbie Great words from your past years. This will be my first word since I joined after you had started 2019. Hopefully, I will set some good goals to follow and have bigger success in 2020 (not that I am unhappy with the 44 pounds lost in 2019 and blood sugar and general health improvements). Great news about Jake’s blood work!

Pip Love the Christmas Doggy and other Doggy Pictures!

Flea The picture of your son in Sweden is adorable! What a cutie!

Katla We used to have light parades when we lived near the water in FL. So pretty!!

Hi Sharon! I’ve missed your smiling face on here! Nice to see you!

Annie I agree with Barbie! You don’t need to go because people expect you to be there! Take care of yourself!!

Machka I especially love the “Let’s give ourselves and each other…” post!!

Lisa You look WONDERFUL in the picture with your hubby! You must be feeling very young! And what wonderful progress in your before and after pics!

Linda Had me chuckling as your bike almost got you into trouble! Great progress on your before and after, also!!

Terri Beautiful lights!

Love and Hugs to All! I can't believe it's only 10 days until Christmas!! And the 18th is my birthday, and Iris is due the 19th! Lots of excitement coming very soon!!! <3 Luci in WNC
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited December 2019
    "Todo"es and "done"s
    Did: quickvac the kitchen and entry, called about rx, emailed KJ's fudge recipe, combed Tumble, packwalk shortened due weather, wrapped/delivered one gift, artwalked with friends, but did not wrap/deliver 2 ornaments nor restrict alcohol.
    Today will make beer cheese dip, prep vegetables, go to firehall potluck. May skip church due bad weather/travel conditions and the press of time.

Yesterday I learned why parchment paper works better than waxed paper for cooling glazed pecans. Waxed paper sticks. ;(p. The good news is, I also learned that when maple glazed pecans are too soft and gooey, popping them into a 425 degree oven till the glazing sizzles and bubbles off the nuts will crisp and ungoop them. Cool on parchment paper ;) and repeat. When nuts are crisp, make the last cooling on wire racks to let last glazing drip off. Joe put some on his oatmeal and said “won't put the clips back on the jar, these won't be around that long.” ;)

KJ “...I am a very lazy person at heart” made me smile. I should be so lazy. ;) Gratitude journal Christmas gifts, another great KJ flip!
    Lanette ditto on missing Wendy and Rye. Was thinking of Rye amdist the fudge discussion, she had a good recipe too...
    Katla put me in your pocket when you go to Powell's? :)
    Sharon so glad to hear from you! It's been too long.
    Rori would you share your healthy gingerbread muffin recipe?
    Lisa and Carol, count me in with the short gal/tall hubs. Joe is 6' and a little, I'm a little short of 5' ;)
    Machka “... doing nothing” made me chuckle!
    SuziQ :heart: the bike build story, the co-workers' reactions, not so much. Not to rat them out individually, but could you (as Lanette?) suggested talk to HR? Hope they'll make an effort to let all the uninviteds know how valued they are and that they will be included in future team building exercises. Know we can't control other's reactions, but sometimes we can influence...
    Julie thanks for checking in. Can't imagine coping with that many transportation strikes.
    Barbie “...three months” Halelujah!
    Michele hearing that Vince's decorations are making people in the Middle East happy, makes me (in the far West) happy too!
    Lisa thought WOW at your pic then SMH at your “look old as I feel” comment... all before seeing your before pic. Wow wow WOW!
    Welcome Rebeccaredmond1!
    Lindaporter2018 glad your bike listened attentively ;)
    Terri an Oooh! Escaped my mouth at your pics, hope I didn't wake Joe ;)
    LuciB :laugh: had your same thought about Heather's hanging the big balls. . .
    NYKaren driving in to Brooklyn? :noway: Now that's BRAVE.

Gratitude day
    #29 friend: you gals who let me talk/process/blather without judging. Most comfortable place since my BFF went ahead.
    #30 talent or skill: hmm, will have to give this some thought. Have some skill at line dancing, but no real talent for it. Nonetheless, it makes me happy and I'm grateful for it.

Anyone have a fix for the click one's tendons or ligaments make when catching on bone during movement? Its happening more often and is especially painful in my left shoulder. :(P

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    Word for 2019: "GOOD" good attitude, good food, good times, good choices, good enough, feel good, GOOD! Word for December: get up and go outside EVERY day!
    daily: steps=3555 vits=11.5 log=14 CI<CO=10 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble 5/10=7 mfp=14 AF=9 outside=6
    wkly: BBBorTC x2=5, rx=2 dance=2 pack walk=1.2
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= dog group email lilst= sew= play=
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hi Lanette.

I do agree with you. And, yes, the VP tells these gals all of the time the value they bring to the table. I think it's a combination of personal issues and the stress of the holidays. And, one of the gals is just one of those people - she brings things up from the distant past (3-4 years) and talks about them like they happened yesterday with the same emotion (not just a story and the learning experience - the full "hurt").

I coach where I can and really do not expect either to say anything to me. If the time comes when I can have a quiet talk with them, I will. If that time does not present itself, all is good on my end. I have gotten to a point where I do not dwell too much on these things because holding on to the dark only makes our lives shorter and makes us blind to the happiness we can have every day.

Oh, I can smell your minestrone - one of my favorites!
    SuziQ
  • SuziQ113
    Lisa,

What an inspiration! You have transformed yourself.

WTG!
  • SuziQ113
    Machka9 wrote: »

The whole thing sounds great!! :):)

Of course, I'm a bit curious what questions were asked. :grin:

M in Oz

Questions ranged from how many stages are there in the Tour de France, who was the first non-European to win the Tour de France, who made the first mechanical bicycle to what city did Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal ride a bike in the movie released in 1972 and which rock group did not have a song with the word bicycle in it.
  • SuziQ113
    Almost forgot day 30!
    Day 30 - December 14
    I am most grateful to have a healthy dose of common sense. And, although not really a talent or a skill having common sense makes all things possible and easier. It allows me to quickly access situations and know what to do even though I may never have been "taught".