Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Peloton ad

17891012

Replies

  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 3,062Member Member Posts: 3,062Member Member
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 796Member Member Posts: 796Member Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️

    So because I disliked the ad, I have a limited understanding of fitness? I would love to hear how you jumped to that conclusion because its ridiculous. I disliked the ad, not because her husband gave her fitness equipment for Christmas, but because it was poorly done in a lot of ways. As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, she talks about how life changing this bike is, yet its not exactly clear what benefits she receives from it. Its also odd to me just how anxious she is in the beginning for her first ride. The worst thing about the ad in my opinion is that the Christmas gift she gives her husband the following year is a video about how much she enjoyed her previous years gift. I feel like he kind of got screwed on this years gift especially after buying her such a life changing gift the previous year. Nothing about the ad had me outraged, however I do think it was stupid, and I don't believe its toxic to ridicule an ad that is probably deserving of some ridicule. Its great you liked it, but there is no need to insult others who didn't. The ad clearly spoke to you in a different way than it did others. That is what advertising is designed to do.

    To be honest, given our litigious attitude here in the US i doubt Peleron could really make any claims on specific benefits and went with the "life changing" as a safe way out.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 796Member Member Posts: 796Member Member
    Not specifically Peleton, but it didn't take long for Planet Fitness to mock the "bike of shame":

    https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ZGcf/planet-fitness-bike-of-shame-10-a-month
  • extra_mediumextra_medium Posts: 1,502Member Member Posts: 1,502Member Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    The point of advertisement isn't to be in tune with the culture and blandly polite, the point of advertisment is to get people to talk about the product and repeatedly drop the brand name all over the place both in conversation and online post so people who have never heard of the company then hear about the company. The more eyes they get on their product the more likely they are to make sales which is what they care about.

    I'd say that this is a pretty fabulous advertisement because two days ago I'd never heard of this company and now I hear about them a lot and I know that they make an exercise bike. Question is did they just stumble on it or was this actually crafted to elicit this response intentionally.

    Considering their stock lost something like 1.5 billion dollars in three days it probably wasn’t intentional. It’s not true that all publicity is good publicity.

    just because their stock temporarily dropped doesn't indicate whether it was intentional or not. Companies make bad moves all the time.

    Also just because their stock temporarily dropped doesn't mean it was a bad move in the long run.
    edited December 2019
  • FoodBodyChangesFoodBodyChanges Posts: 29Member, Premium Member Posts: 29Member, Premium Member
    This is a case of know your spouse. A husband who has expressed displeasure at his wife's physique gifting his wife exercise equipment is totally different than a husband gifting his wife exercise equipment because she wants it. And then there's the husband who gifts the $2,000 bike because it's something he wants, lol.
  • AdamAthleticAdamAthletic Posts: 2,888Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,888Member, Premium Member
    I’m very ‘take it or leave it’ with them.
    I go to a pretty fancy health club and I’m sure that if I watched their advertisements, they’d be saying all kinds of rubbish.

    The bottom line is, I go there because I enjoy it and to me there is value in it.

    It’s similar with any product. The fact that their adverts are rediculois is purely a reflection of the hypercapitolist society we’re in and the fact that we respond better to those adds - in return increasing clicks/sales.

    Bottom line, buy if it’s your thing or leave and find something cheaper if it isn’t - it’s only an exercise bike at the end of the day and only has as much value as you give it.
  • magnusthenerdmagnusthenerd Posts: 1,061Member Member Posts: 1,061Member Member
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️
    Let's just grant that claim for arguendo - I think I'm know fitness and endorphins, and felt the ad fell flat, though didn't hate it - isn't that a huge problem? Isn't one of the points of ads to get buy in from people that don't use the product already? Sure, some products sell to existing customers, but I don't think that's quite the audience Peloton wants to crack, is it?
  • Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 5,074Member Member Posts: 5,074Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    If that were the case, he'd have been obligated to disclose as much (or at least tag the post as #ad or #sponsored) in the post.
  • wmd1979wmd1979 Posts: 441Member Member Posts: 441Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️

    So because I disliked the ad, I have a limited understanding of fitness? I would love to hear how you jumped to that conclusion because its ridiculous. I disliked the ad, not because her husband gave her fitness equipment for Christmas, but because it was poorly done in a lot of ways. As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, she talks about how life changing this bike is, yet its not exactly clear what benefits she receives from it. Its also odd to me just how anxious she is in the beginning for her first ride. The worst thing about the ad in my opinion is that the Christmas gift she gives her husband the following year is a video about how much she enjoyed her previous years gift. I feel like he kind of got screwed on this years gift especially after buying her such a life changing gift the previous year. Nothing about the ad had me outraged, however I do think it was stupid, and I don't believe its toxic to ridicule an ad that is probably deserving of some ridicule. Its great you liked it, but there is no need to insult others who didn't. The ad clearly spoke to you in a different way than it did others. That is what advertising is designed to do.

    To be honest, given our litigious attitude here in the US i doubt Peleron could really make any claims on specific benefits and went with the "life changing" as a safe way out.

    Seriously? Look at some of the claims made by other "fitness" products and tell me that Peloton couldn't have clarified any benefits. There are infomercials for other products that claim all sorts of things, and its not hard to claim a benefit as long as its clarified that those results might not be typical for every individual. I think Peloton is intentionally marketing their products as life changing without making specific claims for a reason. They seem to prefer it to appear to be a magical product.
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Posts: 4,476Member Member Posts: 4,476Member Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️

    So because I disliked the ad, I have a limited understanding of fitness? I would love to hear how you jumped to that conclusion because its ridiculous. I disliked the ad, not because her husband gave her fitness equipment for Christmas, but because it was poorly done in a lot of ways. As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, she talks about how life changing this bike is, yet its not exactly clear what benefits she receives from it. Its also odd to me just how anxious she is in the beginning for her first ride. The worst thing about the ad in my opinion is that the Christmas gift she gives her husband the following year is a video about how much she enjoyed her previous years gift. I feel like he kind of got screwed on this years gift especially after buying her such a life changing gift the previous year. Nothing about the ad had me outraged, however I do think it was stupid, and I don't believe its toxic to ridicule an ad that is probably deserving of some ridicule. Its great you liked it, but there is no need to insult others who didn't. The ad clearly spoke to you in a different way than it did others. That is what advertising is designed to do.

    To be honest, given our litigious attitude here in the US i doubt Peleron could really make any claims on specific benefits and went with the "life changing" as a safe way out.

    Seriously? Look at some of the claims made by other "fitness" products and tell me that Peloton couldn't have clarified any benefits. There are infomercials for other products that claim all sorts of things, and its not hard to claim a benefit as long as its clarified that those results might not be typical for every individual. I think Peloton is intentionally marketing their products as life changing without making specific claims for a reason. They seem to prefer it to appear to be a magical product.

    I've been watching stuff on YouTube lately, and there are at least a couple of other similar products that are by other manufacturers (Nordic is one) that are advertised almost identically (but for the specific ad in question). For example, one of them is two people, with their bikes set up in high rises next to huge windows with a view who can see each other as they compete. There definitely seems to be an idea that the more mystical life-changing and also "look at how cool we are" appeals will work, without the specific fitness claims that are often made (see any of the old late night fitness equipment commercials). Like I said above, I see this with things like OrangeTheory, SoulCycle, and even CrossFit to some extent too. It's something about the current age.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 796Member Member Posts: 796Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    If that were the case, he'd have been obligated to disclose as much (or at least tag the post as #ad or #sponsored) in the post.

    Maybe they are supposed to but it's the internet how many times do you think rules are broken?
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 796Member Member Posts: 796Member Member
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    squirley13 wrote: »
    I will add my sense to this thread. I loved the commercial and those who disliked it have a limited understanding of fitness and natural endorphin experiences. I will state the ridiculous ridicule over the ad is not only obnoxious but toxic. My own personal experience with health gifts that my husband was also under prejudice of other’s opinions was when he got me a professional vintage doctor’s scale for my birthday and hid it in his work office til my birthday arrived. I was pleasantly surprised at his thoughtfulness as I wouldn’t have got one for myself because I thought it was too expensive but he wanted to spoil me ☺️♥️

    So because I disliked the ad, I have a limited understanding of fitness? I would love to hear how you jumped to that conclusion because its ridiculous. I disliked the ad, not because her husband gave her fitness equipment for Christmas, but because it was poorly done in a lot of ways. As pointed out repeatedly in this thread, she talks about how life changing this bike is, yet its not exactly clear what benefits she receives from it. Its also odd to me just how anxious she is in the beginning for her first ride. The worst thing about the ad in my opinion is that the Christmas gift she gives her husband the following year is a video about how much she enjoyed her previous years gift. I feel like he kind of got screwed on this years gift especially after buying her such a life changing gift the previous year. Nothing about the ad had me outraged, however I do think it was stupid, and I don't believe its toxic to ridicule an ad that is probably deserving of some ridicule. Its great you liked it, but there is no need to insult others who didn't. The ad clearly spoke to you in a different way than it did others. That is what advertising is designed to do.

    To be honest, given our litigious attitude here in the US i doubt Peleron could really make any claims on specific benefits and went with the "life changing" as a safe way out.

    Seriously? Look at some of the claims made by other "fitness" products and tell me that Peloton couldn't have clarified any benefits. There are infomercials for other products that claim all sorts of things, and its not hard to claim a benefit as long as its clarified that those results might not be typical for every individual. I think Peloton is intentionally marketing their products as life changing without making specific claims for a reason. They seem to prefer it to appear to be a magical product.

    Who knows. Maybe they didn't want to muddy up the ad with disclaimers.
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 4,966Member Member Posts: 4,966Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    I got the vibe that he doesn’t let his trophy wife handle money, so her “gifts” to him have to be nonsense like thank you videos. It would explain why she’s so anxious.
  • Theoldguy1Theoldguy1 Posts: 796Member Member Posts: 796Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    I got the vibe that he doesn’t let his trophy wife handle money, so her “gifts” to him have to be nonsense like thank you videos. It would explain why she’s so anxious.

    Thats the story in the commercial. Supposedly the actor gave his real life girlfriend a bike.
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Posts: 4,966Member Member Posts: 4,966Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    I got the vibe that he doesn’t let his trophy wife handle money, so her “gifts” to him have to be nonsense like thank you videos. It would explain why she’s so anxious.

    Thats the story in the commercial. Supposedly the actor gave his real life girlfriend a bike.

    Oh, sorry, I wasn’t paying close attention to what you were replying to, and knew another poster thought that a thank you video in exchange for a Peloton was a bad trade.

    Yep, you’re probably right about the free Peloton. Although his real life girlfriend looks like she needs one even less than his commercial wife!
  • Carlos_421Carlos_421 Posts: 5,074Member Member Posts: 5,074Member Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    If that were the case, he'd have been obligated to disclose as much (or at least tag the post as #ad or #sponsored) in the post.

    Maybe they are supposed to but it's the internet how many times do you think rules are broken?

    Instagram/Facebook/YouTube etc. all monitor that kind of thing in a big way (and those who make or support their living through social media know it).
    Chances are a small/beginner influencer could be ignorant to the rules or try to break them and not get caught but anyone with prominence is most likely going to get busted.
    A professional actor/model with as much notoriety as peloton husband is going to fall into the latter category (the peloton marketing department would be aware and watching that as well).
  • lynn_glenmontlynn_glenmont Posts: 7,550Member Member Posts: 7,550Member Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I love it, kudos to him!!!

    Peloton husband, despite the controversy, gifts real-life girlfriend a ... Peloton bike

    When life imitates art ...

    https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2019/12/26/peloton-husband-gives-girlfriend-exercise-bike-christmas/2750142001/

    My money is on the idea Peloton provided the bike free in exchange for the Instagram post.

    If that were the case, he'd have been obligated to disclose as much (or at least tag the post as #ad or #sponsored) in the post.

    Maybe they are supposed to but it's the internet how many times do you think rules are broken?

    Instagram/Facebook/YouTube etc. all monitor that kind of thing in a big way (and those who make or support their living through social media know it).
    Chances are a small/beginner influencer could be ignorant to the rules or try to break them and not get caught but anyone with prominence is most likely going to get busted.
    A professional actor/model with as much notoriety as peloton husband is going to fall into the latter category (the peloton marketing department would be aware and watching that as well).

    If the social media platforms are so good at monitoring this behavior, how is it that the FTC still finds violators to bring cases against or send warning letters to? (And they don't have the resources to take action on every instance.)

    https://search.usa.gov/search?query=disclosure+by+social+media+influencer&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&affiliate=ftc_prod
  • raven56706raven56706 Posts: 907Member, Premium Member Posts: 907Member, Premium Member
    The bike has been awesome for me and works well for me in cardio terms.
Sign In or Register to comment.