Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Peloton ad

BoxerBrawlerBoxerBrawler Posts: 2,025Member Member Posts: 2,025Member Member
Anyone see the article about Peloton's holiday ad? It is getting criticized for having undertones of sexism and classism. Give me a break! Why is everyone offended by everything these days? The only problem I have with the ad is how the woman claims that she's scared before her first ride. What the hell is there to be scared of? in the comfort of your own home, all alone? This world.... SMH!

http://msn.com/en-us/money/companies/pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand/ar-BBXGZNv?ocid=ientp

Replies

• corinasue1143corinasue1143 Posts: 2,681Member Member Posts: 2,681Member Member
    pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand

I haven’t seen it, but it could not possibly “hurt the brand” as far as I am concerned.
    Nowhere to go but up.
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,641Member Member Posts: 5,641Member Member
    I don't get why it's sexist lol.
  • Reckoner68Reckoner68 Posts: 2,053Member Member Posts: 2,053Member Member
    What blows my mind is how much time and energy has been spent having feelings about an ad. I'm content to tell myself that I'm just not wired to understand it? I read the article this morning out of curiosity and just couldn't bring myself to get worked up about any of it--more mystified, I guess.

Must be a slow news day :D
  • jm_1234jm_1234 Posts: 54Member Member Posts: 54Member Member
    I think she's scared because... spin class at home! Gives me shivers just thinking about it. Those classes have got to be the hardest thing in the world.

I don't see any sexism/classism in the ad.
    edited December 3
  • Gisel2015Gisel2015 Posts: 2,902Member Member Posts: 2,902Member Member
    This is the article that I read, I really don't understand the fuss about it. Yes, Peloton is expensive but so is the new smart TV (spying on you carries a price, I guess...), or the new phones and other gadgets. It is not my business how people wants to spend their money. I don't consider the add sexist at all either, but to each its own.

Peloton's perplexing new holiday ad has incensed the internet
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/us/peloton-ad-controversy-trnd/index.html
  • GummiMundiGummiMundi Posts: 91Member Member Posts: 91Member Member
    All I know is that Peloton got a LOT of free publicity from all this (tweets, articles, TV pieces, etc.). Hmmmm... ;)
  • AzdakAzdak Posts: 8,206Member Member Posts: 8,206Member Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    All I know is that Peloton got a LOT of free publicity from all this (tweets, articles, TV pieces, etc.). Hmmmm... ;)

Becoming an internet meme of ridicule—especially for this type of product—is an exception to the “any publicity is good publicity” axiom.