Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

BoxerBrawler
BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
Anyone see the article about Peloton's holiday ad? It is getting criticized for having undertones of sexism and classism. Give me a break! Why is everyone offended by everything these days? The only problem I have with the ad is how the woman claims that she's scared before her first ride. What the hell is there to be scared of? in the comfort of your own home, all alone? This world.... SMH!

http://msn.com/en-us/money/companies/pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand/ar-BBXGZNv?ocid=ientp

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand

I haven’t seen it, but it could not possibly “hurt the brand” as far as I am concerned.
    Nowhere to go but up.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    I don't get why it's sexist lol.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,131 Member
    This is the article that I read, I really don't understand the fuss about it. Yes, Peloton is expensive but so is the new smart TV (spying on you carries a price, I guess...), or the new phones and other gadgets. It is not my business how people wants to spend their money. I don't consider the add sexist at all either, but to each its own.

Peloton's perplexing new holiday ad has incensed the internet
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/03/us/peloton-ad-controversy-trnd/index.html
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    All I know is that Peloton got a LOT of free publicity from all this (tweets, articles, TV pieces, etc.). Hmmmm... ;)

Becoming an internet meme of ridicule—especially for this type of product—is an exception to the “any publicity is good publicity” axiom.