Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

1246712

Replies

  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    GummiMundi wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Is anyone else rather suspicious that any "viral Internet outrage" came from Peleton marketing staff postings on social media rather than actual outraged humans?

    Yep, it crossed my mind.

    If you read their whiny butthurt response the other day, it doesn't sound like they planned this.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,256 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Is anyone else rather suspicious that any "viral Internet outrage" came from Peleton marketing staff postings on social media rather than actual outraged humans?

    I'm always suspicious of this, but given the Peloton executives I doubt it. Their target demographic is similar to the Lexus audience.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,298 Member
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Is anyone else rather suspicious that any "viral Internet outrage" came from Peleton marketing staff postings on social media rather than actual outraged humans?

    Given how their stock lost almost a billion dollars in value, no.

    https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/pelotons-stock-price-plummet-wiped-942-million-market-value-holiday-ad-2019-12-1028737428

    Peloton saw $942 million in market value wiped out in a single day amid backlash to its controversial holiday ad (PTON)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,012 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

    I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

    So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

    My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

    She loves it.

    This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

    No Worries Here.

    If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 22,997 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

    I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

    So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

    My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

    She loves it.

    This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

    No Worries Here.

    If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.

    They do come apart into two smaller pieces, and go back together very easily/quickly (no tools or anything needed). C2 recommends against storing them standing up in one piece because of the risk of toppling, but (1) people all over the world do it anyway ( ;) ), and (2) it would be fairly easy to secure in some fashion.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,246 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

    I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

    So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

    My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

    She loves it.

    This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

    No Worries Here.

    If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.

    They do come apart into two smaller pieces, and go back together very easily/quickly (no tools or anything needed). C2 recommends against storing them standing up in one piece because of the risk of toppling, but (1) people all over the world do it anyway ( ;) ), and (2) it would be fairly easy to secure in some fashion.

    yep, they breakdown easily.

    we're lucky enough to have it shoehorned in between a weight bench and a treadmill in a dedicated workout room.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 2,974 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

    I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

    So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

    My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

    She loves it.

    This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

    No Worries Here.

    If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.

    They do come apart into two smaller pieces, and go back together very easily/quickly (no tools or anything needed). C2 recommends against storing them standing up in one piece because of the risk of toppling, but (1) people all over the world do it anyway ( ;) ), and (2) it would be fairly easy to secure in some fashion.

    yep, they breakdown easily.

    we're lucky enough to have it shoehorned in between a weight bench and a treadmill in a dedicated workout room.

    Yes, I break mine down daily. In the Winter, I row out daily on my deck (in AZ). I keep the rower in my shed. Takes like 2 minutes to put together and put away. Only the one side is relatively heavy.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 25,298 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Ryan Renyold's gin company made an parody ad with the peleton commercial actress that is basically Pelton Bike commercial, the sequel 😂 https://mobile.twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

    2ygflk.jpg
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,012 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    If buying fitness products for a wife that loves fitness products lead to a divorce, my marriage would be long done by now. My wife loves fitness gifts. But you have to know your wife well enough to know that. I would NEVER buy her a vacuum for X-mas. Or a duster or steam mop. She has every cool little cleaning toy (before you say I'm sexist, I do all the cooking and kitchen cleanup and help with housework as needed, she just does more cleaning and I love to cook -- great arrangement!). But man, if I bought her a Dyson for X-mas, I'd be covering up my rear end because she'd try to ram that thing up my hole.

    I got a Dyson last Christmas and I loved it. But my husband knew that I needed and wanted a smaller and easy vacuum to work with floors and carpets. During many years I got cooking utensils, pots, serving dishes and what ever I need it. He never slept in the garage and I never rammed anything up his whatever.

    So you are correct that if a husband/SO knows his or her pattern then no gifts are out of limits.

    My wife has asked for a 'military grade, Rogue Fitness, pull-up bar' as a birthday gift.

    She loves it.

    This last year, I bought her a Concept 2 Rowing Machine. She was completely stoked.

    No Worries Here.

    If I had room in my house I will ask for the Concept 2 Rowing Machine. Much better equipment that what we have in our fitness center. I'm a little bit envious of your wife :# , and hope that she is enjoying it.

    They do come apart into two smaller pieces, and go back together very easily/quickly (no tools or anything needed). C2 recommends against storing them standing up in one piece because of the risk of toppling, but (1) people all over the world do it anyway ( ;) ), and (2) it would be fairly easy to secure in some fashion.

    Thanks Ann, but it will not work in my house; it was just a comment.
  • Made-up controversy for publicity/air time...Don't get sucked-in.
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 486 Member
    5 pages about an ad? I'd say a lot of people have already been sucked in! ROFL
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    MikePTY wrote: »
    Ryan Renyold's gin company made an parody ad with the peleton commercial actress that is basically Pelton Bike commercial, the sequel 😂 https://mobile.twitter.com/VancityReynolds/status/1203118775815622664

    I had just copied the link to post it here.

    Epic trolling.