Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Peloton ad

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Anyone see the article about Peloton's holiday ad? It is getting criticized for having undertones of sexism and classism. Give me a break! Why is everyone offended by everything these days? The only problem I have with the ad is how the woman claims that she's scared before her first ride. What the hell is there to be scared of? in the comfort of your own home, all alone? This world.... SMH!

http://msn.com/en-us/money/companies/pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand/ar-BBXGZNv?ocid=ientp

Why does it bother you what strangers are offended by...?

It bothers me in general because everyone is so sensitive these days.

Being bothered by other people being bothered is just another form of sensitivity, is it not?

I've missed you.

Seconding. I have missed you too!

Me too!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,070 Member
    Options
    In that article it reads - "it does capture what people love about the product. Peloton Wife is transformed by her bike: mentally, emotionally, even spiritually. It gives her a sense of accomplishment, community. The message is perfectly clear: this isn’t just a workout, it’s a damn near religious experience."

What? Oh, I'm sorry, I always thought all of that stuff came from within.
    For the record, my original post was trying to point out that the people who are offended by this commercial in my opinion are idiots. Their offense offends me hahaha!

Also, the quoted article's interpretation of what the ad "captures" seems to be a complete projection on the part of the author. There's zero evidence for it in the actual ad.

That's what bothered me about the ad, not the "why does a thin person need a bike" or "yuck, an ad for a highly priced product" or "this gift shows the husband is controlling and trying to force his already thin wife to spend hours exercising."

No, what bothered me was that there is nothing in the ad to support the idea that she has benefited from the bike in any way. No visuals or dialog that support any benefit, beyond her saying something like "I didn't know how much this would mean to me." No indication that she built speed, power, or endurance. No suggestion that any measures of physical fitness improved. And as far as some sense of "accomplishment," as the article said, she looks as uncertain and frightened all through the ad as she did at the beginning -- they could have immensely improved it with just one shot of her looking fatigued as she pedaled and then getting a gritty look and starting to pedal harder. As far as some sense of community -- she's all alone pedaling. No evidence that she connects in any way to other members of the Peloton community.

It's just seems like a bad ad. The people who would buy it based on that ad must have houses full of everything they've ever seen an ad for.

Minor quibble: There was that tiny moment when the star virtual instructor gave her a shout-out by name ("Grace", was it? Can't recall.) about her 50 sessions or some such, and she got all glow-y and excited about it. That's connection . . . I guess. :lol:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Anyone see the article about Peloton's holiday ad? It is getting criticized for having undertones of sexism and classism. Give me a break! Why is everyone offended by everything these days? The only problem I have with the ad is how the woman claims that she's scared before her first ride. What the hell is there to be scared of? in the comfort of your own home, all alone? This world.... SMH!

http://msn.com/en-us/money/companies/pelotons-holiday-ad-made-some-onlookers-cringe-but-experts-say-it-wont-hurt-the-brand/ar-BBXGZNv?ocid=ientp

Why does it bother you what strangers are offended by...?

It bothers me in general because everyone is so sensitive these days.

Being bothered by other people being bothered is just another form of sensitivity, is it not?

I've missed you.

Seconding. I have missed you too!

Me too!

I felt that little burst of happiness seeing @janejellyroll's name again, too.

I will admit to having mined her old posts, during her, ahem, vacation, to get sensible advice to give to fellow veg*an folks who I felt had gotten off on an odd track someplace.

Nice to have you back, Jane! :)

I'm glad there was enough good vegan advice there to cobble together! :wink:
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    I do find it interesting that one of the objections to the ad is that it must be bad because it doesn't show physical changes or how the woman achieves some fitness goal. I think exercise is beneficial independent of that -- for me it is for sure.

I can certainly believe that the ad did not do a good job in conveying why the woman loved it. (I don't have an opinion on that because I have not actually watched it, only the various parodies. No reason I have not, it's just I forget to when somewhere where it would be convenient to do so.)

I find it somewhat interesting/puzzling that it has caused so much reaction and in some cases what seems to be strong or emotional reaction, as there are tons of bad and stupid ads that do not. But I don't have a problem with that.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    In that article it reads - "it does capture what people love about the product. Peloton Wife is transformed by her bike: mentally, emotionally, even spiritually. It gives her a sense of accomplishment, community. The message is perfectly clear: this isn’t just a workout, it’s a damn near religious experience."

For the record, my original post was trying to point out that the people who are offended by this commercial in my opinion are idiots. Their offense offends me hahaha!

Also, the quoted article's interpretation of what the ad "captures" seems to be a complete projection on the part of the author. There's zero evidence for it in the actual ad.

That's what bothered me about the ad, not the "why does a thin person need a bike" or "yuck, an ad for a highly priced product" or "this gift shows the husband is controlling and trying to force his already thin wife to spend hours exercising."

No, what bothered me was that there is nothing in the ad to support the idea that she has benefited from the bike in any way. No visuals or dialog that support any benefit, beyond her saying something like "I didn't know how much this would mean to me." No indication that she built speed, power, or endurance. No suggestion that any measures of physical fitness improved. And as far as some sense of "accomplishment," as the article said, she looks as uncertain and frightened all through the ad as she did at the beginning -- they could have immensely improved it with just one shot of her looking fatigued as she pedaled and then getting a gritty look and starting to pedal harder. As far as some sense of community -- she's all alone pedaling. No evidence that she connects in any way to other members of the Peloton community.

It's just seems like a bad ad. The people who would buy it based on that ad must have houses full of everything they've ever seen an ad for.

Minor quibble: There was that tiny moment when the star virtual instructor gave her a shout-out by name ("Grace", was it? Can't recall.) about her 50 sessions or some such, and she got all glow-y and excited about it. That's connection . . . I guess. :lol:

OK. I've only watched it attentively a couple of times, and either I missed that, or there are different versions of the ad (which I sort of think there may be, as when it's run when I wasn't paying close attention, I've had times where I thought "wasn't there a bit more footage in it the other time I saw it?").
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

I think you've pinpointed what I found most unsettling (but hadn't really articulated) about the ad.

It's such an empty vision, seemingly divorcing fitness from the various tangible benefits we commonly experience from it. Fitness as a consumer purchase and nothing more. A great vision for Peloton and companies like that, but I don't think it benefits anybody else.

The idea that fitness is something you experience physically and emotionally, that it involves progress over time or feeds our connection to a group of people or even the outdoors -- all that is missing here. I *think* what they might have been going for was the sense that fitness can be, in a positive way, a commitment met to one's self. But in having the equipment be a gift and the woman presenting the year-end recap to her husband as some sort of proof that she used it really undercut the potential for that message.

Thanks. I think the bolded sentence better articulates what was bothering me. :smile:
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I do find it interesting that one of the objections to the ad is that it must be bad because it doesn't show physical changes or how the woman achieves some fitness goal. I think exercise is beneficial independent of that -- for me it is for sure.

I can certainly believe that the ad did not do a good job in conveying why the woman loved it. (I don't have an opinion on that because I have not actually watched it, only the various parodies. No reason I have not, it's just I forget to when somewhere where it would be convenient to do so.)

I find it somewhat interesting/puzzling that it has caused so much reaction and in some cases what seems to be strong or emotional reaction, as there are tons of bad and stupid ads that do not. But I don't have a problem with that.

I agree about the benefits independent of physical changes or accomplishing a fitness goal. It could just be creating a space to relax or relieve stress through exercise. It could be a lot of things. My objection is the ad so far as I could see offers nothing to support any specific benefit the woman felt she gained. If I were selling a vacuum cleaner, I wouldn't show someone using it repeatedly with an expression of consternation and anxiety, and then smiling and saying "wow, it's great having a vacuum cleaner."
  • AnnPT77
    Options

I agree about the benefits independent of physical changes or accomplishing a fitness goal. It could just be creating a space to relax or relieve stress through exercise. It could be a lot of things. My objection is the ad so far as I could see offers nothing to support any specific benefit the woman felt she gained. If I were selling a vacuum cleaner, I wouldn't show someone using it repeatedly with an expression of consternation and anxiety, and then smiling and saying "wow, it's great having a vacuum cleaner."

I agree with that, but also wonder whether the ad's creators might have thought that gap was a good thing, so that the viewer would fill in that blank.

There's certainly been a good bit of attributing motives or views to the woman or husband in the reaction to the ad (in the larger world, and some in this thread), with relatively little obvious objective basis that I can see.

Perhaps we're meant to assume benefits that would be meaningful to us, in that gap.

It didn't really work, for me, but that doesn't mean they weren't trying. ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I think it is instructive to go back to Peloton’s statement after the controversy erupted:

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey.“

And to quote Peloton CEO John Foley:

“Peloton is so much more than a fitness company—we believe we have the opportunity to create one of the most innovative global technology platforms of our time. It is an opportunity to create one of the most important and influential interactive media companies in the world; a media company that changes lives, inspires greatness, and unites people.”

Compared to that, the ad seems almost understated. :D

PS: Dude, it’s just an exercise bike.

• AnnPT77
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    I think it is instructive to go back to Peloton’s statement after the controversy erupted:

“We constantly hear from our members how their lives have been meaningfully and positively impacted after purchasing or being gifted a Peloton Bike or Tread, often in ways that surprise them,” a company spokesperson said in an email. “Our holiday spot was created to celebrate that fitness and wellness journey.“

“Peloton is so much more than a fitness company—we believe we have the opportunity to create one of the most innovative global technology platforms of our time. It is an opportunity to create one of the most important and influential interactive media companies in the world; a media company that changes lives, inspires greatness, and unites people.”

Yeah, one of the things that IMO makes the company less appealing as even a short/medium investment is that guy. Delusions of grandeur, or delusions about the industry he's in, or something . . . alongside the purported management-structure issues under his leadership. SMH.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I’m still amused that this garnered so much attention. My career was in the fitness business, so I paid attention to the company, but I didn’t think anyone else did.

I’m not used to my niche areas of interest receiving so much national attention. It was a bit of a shock that this blew up the way it did.

It’s like waking up and seeing a zydeco band playing a Friday concert on the Today show.

• lemurcat2
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

That seems to be part of a current approach by various exercise-related companies, for example SoulCycle, OrangeTheory (from the website: "When I am working out at Orangetheory Fitness, I feel like a wonder woman, I feel like nothing can stop me. Orangetheory Fitness not just helped me to change my body, it changed my mind. Today I love and respect myself!"), good old CrossFit, even, back in the day, something like Curves, which my mom was into for a while.

Granted, that Peloton rhetoric takes it to a new level.