Replies

• mixedbag4444
    mixedbag4444 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • thefragile7393
    thefragile7393 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I get what the poster was saying, NO it isn't easy necessarily. Dealing with kids with ADHD is a whole other ball game, and unless you've worked with them and been given the tools, that isn't easy. It also isn't necessarily easy with kids with 0 behavioral problems. I do it, but when you are tired and exhausted it isn't necessarily easy. A kid who listens when you say no the first time? Pretty rare. You also can't control what they have at friends' houses necessarily or get from the machines at school or if they are out with friends.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.

No one will argue that advertising is a part of it. We will however tell you that in the end, it's what you decide to buy. I watch the same commercials and see the same billboards as everyone else so why am I not buying it and other people are? There is just a huge lack of nutrition knowledge among the american population. (and sense of personal responsibility)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.
    So how, again, is it not the responsibility of the parent... ? I can't hear you from way up here on this pedestal.

If the parents say no to the kids, the kids won't fall victim to the marketing. If adults fall victim to it, then they have only themselves to blame.

*rattle rattle*
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    It's hard to say NO to kids when they want something, especially when it's something that's aimed towards them.

Sure it's hard, but that's parenting. That's the thing... as a parent, you have the choice to make. Sure, it's marketed towards the kid.. specifically.. but it's the parent that puts it in the cart, pays for it at the register, and gives it to the kid once they get home, right?

How does that not fall on the parent?

My parents just left me in the car.
    Exactly. Mine told me no. I listened.

Actually, the point is that the food industry does indeed play a part in swaying peoples opinions regarding the kind of foods they consume.

Have you ever said "NO" to a kid with severe ADHD? Try it, see if you remain firmly perched on your pedestal.

I tell my Asperger's syndrome son "NO" all the time. If you reinforce the fact and keep them in their box they tend not to stray too far. It works for ADHD as well. Try using a PSVita or DS3D. You'll snap an ADHD kid into a game trance so hard they might not even realized they left home. There's nothing arrogant about being a good parent and its not always easy. But if you take the thoughtful road you'll usually have a much easier time of it in the end.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Your logic is flawed. You gained weight because of your own eating habits, not an advert on television.

I was fat, because I ate food. Plenty of people are fat who don't eat fast food, and only eat "healthy & clean".

OK, so adverts, that make people want to go out and buy junk food has nothing to do with people getting fat?

We are aware that physically, after watching said adverts, people need to put one foot in front of the other, plod to their car (or whatever) and go to the restaurant, and buy said food. We are aware of that. But you are also telling me that the adverts that put the idea in ones head about going to get the junk food have nothing to do with it?
  • 4homer
    4homer Posts: 457 Member
    Options

Your logic is flawed. You gained weight because of your own eating habits, not an advert on television.

I was fat, because I ate food. Plenty of people are fat who don't eat fast food, and only eat "healthy & clean".
    QFT. It doesnt matter how much advertising is blast at us, we are adults and make our own choices. I got my self fat all my own, and now im getting healthy on my own.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

What exactly do you think that you are doing?

People are here to have a discussion.

You seem to want to insult more than discuss.

Interesting.

Blaming the food industry? Insulting people who disagree?

Advertising has been going on for a very long time. All those companies you mention were there when I was a kid and I remember well the advertising for sugary and fatty foods during Saturday morning cartoons. My parents said "no" and I spent an enormous amount of time outside playing even though I grew up with childhood asthma severe enough to put me on oxygen on more than a few occasions. As a result, I grew up healthy with healthy habits. It wasn't until a professional career landed me at a desk 18 hours a day that I got fat. I fixed that.

Are companies targeting kids? You bet. Do I like it? Not really. But they will run into temptation their entire lives. It's better that we deal with that as they grow up so that they have those skills when they get older. Take it as an opportunity to teach a life lesson. Self discipline is learned, and it can be taught.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this! this just made me want to not skip my workout today lol !
  • missmegan831
    missmegan831 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but there's only one person that made me fat...myself. There's only one person making me skinny too. It's pointless to blame the food industry for making you fat, that's like blaming spoons and forks for making you fat. The didn't force the food into your mouth, only one person decided what you eat...

Aye, taking full responsibility for your life is a decent Step 1.

I made myself fat, I made the decisions, I am where I am now because of my decisions, I can change my future and reality with every decision I make, every thought. I am the boss of me, I am not a victim, I call the shots.

Having said all that the doco is decent enough watch if you take the premise that we are helpless victims of the food/diet/whatever industry with a decent pinch of sodium.

^^ What they both said... very true
  • drhall1970
    Options
    Like!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    Just watched episode 3 on how the diet/organic food industry capitalized on worries about food safety in the 80s. Interesting.
  • Susuwatari
    Susuwatari Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ahh... I remember this when it came out. Think there's another one called "the men who made us thin"
  • dazzer1975
    dazzer1975 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am enjoying watching this series and like others have posted, there is nothing new in it, but it is still good to watch and raise awareness amongst the general population.

I just wanted to make a comment regarding whose fault it is we are overweight. It seems to be an unpopular opinion, indeed, I have argued with my healthy weight sister about this but I can tell you categorically, NO ONE and NOTHING forced me to eat the crap in the amounts that I did.

I am not one of those who "blame" people, despite my use of the word "fault" above (what other word could I use?) being overweight is ime always more complex than simply mindlessly pouring food into your mouth... at least it is when you have been at the weights I have. That is why the idea of placing blame onto people or shaming them as some like to do, is never a very good, useful or effective route to take, but I don't know how else to say I was the one who picked the food up, bought it and then ate it despite having a myriad of alternative food options to choose.

Is it good that kids are targeted? No, but that's what parents are for. Is it good that high sugar, high trans and hydrogenated fats, calorie dense, manufactured, refined, processed, "value added", nutrient extracted foods are ubiquitous in today's society? Of course not, and i think the food industry are pretty much criminal in many of the ways they operate, but I will tell you why they remain profitable, it's because we buy the crap they churn out.

The very fact we are able to lose weight despite how bloody hard it is, highlights that it is always our choice (regardless of whether or not they are ones we consciously make) to eat the foods we do, despite what temptations are out there.

To say otherwise, would be to remove the power we all have inside us to change our lives and our bodies.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options

It's kinda amazing, all these big food companies peddling unhealthy stuff through their advertising and spending millions of dollars when all they need to do is sit back and allow people to get fat all by themselves. The problem is that advertising works, never underestimate its power. Now we could have a discussion about how stupid people are to believe advertising but that's a different subject.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

I don't know where you were but there was just as much advertising back in the day from Mc D's and Burger King, etc.... Back then they had actual mascot's (Ronald McDonald, Grimace, Hamburglar, and the French Fry Gobblins) and Burger King had the King, and Colonial Sanders was on all the time. But back in the day my mom worked a 8 to 5 job but came home every night and cooked a home cooked meal and the only time we was allowed to eat out was on friday night when dad and I would pic my mom up from work and go out to a sit down place. If we was lucky maybe once every couple weeks dad would stop during a week night and pick up some fast food but the majority of the time we ate home cooked meal. So I have to agree parenting plays a big part in this.. It isn't always easy saying No to a child but when you have there best interest at heart then you have to be the parent and not their friend....
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

It's kinda amazing, all these big food companies peddling unhealthy stuff through their advertising and spending millions of dollars when all they need to do is sit back and allow people to get fat all by themselves. The problem is that advertising works, never underestimate its power. Now we could have a discussion about how stupid people are to believe advertising but that's a different subject.

The trick is being aware of it, and tuning it out or turning it off.

Does advertising work? Yes. But do we have to be passive actors who simply do what advertising wants us to do? No. Absolutely not.

There are so many pressures on every individual. It's not just advertising for food. Job demands, family demands, "keeping up with the Joneses," our own cravings, etc. all take their toll. As adults though it is up to each of us to accept responsibility for our own actions and do what we know we need to do for our own health and for the health of our children.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

OK, so adverts, that make people want to go out and buy junk food has nothing to do with people getting fat?

We are aware that physically, after watching said adverts, people need to put one foot in front of the other, plod to their car (or whatever) and go to the restaurant, and buy said food. We are aware of that. But you are also telling me that the adverts that put the idea in ones head about going to get the junk food have nothing to do with it?

I think sir, it is you who is flawed. Not just your logic, just you in general.

Is it possible for a discussion to happen WITHOUT direct insulting someone just because they don't agree?
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    "It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas."

Wait, what??? As a parent it certainly is my responsibility to provide my children with proper nutrition. We are not sheep to be easily led by the "food industries that are pumping our minds with ideas".

That is ridiculous and I refuse to believe that people are that naïve. Lazy, yes.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Just for the record I watched the programme and found it very informative. Reading some of the negative comments I begin to wonder if the naysayers watched the same programme I did. At no stage was it an attempt to blame others for the fact that many of us have eaten an unhealthy diet in the past. The programme did draw attention to the subtle ways in which manufacturers try to increase profits. The fact that the manufacturers adopt the same approach as the negative commentators ie no one forces customers to buy the products must surely say something. Recent attempts to force manufacturers to reformulate their products resulted in intense lobbying to prevent such a course of action. Manufacturers will always only have eyes for their bottom line. Surely the very fact that we are on the MFP forum would suggest that each of us are at least trying to take control and adopt a more healthy lifestyle. Rather than adopt an 'I'm alright attitude' would it not be better to encourage a more positive approach to programmes which help make us aware of the need to be alert when we go shopping.