The Men who Made Us Fat

Options

Replies

• ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.

Your logic is flawed. You gained weight because of your own eating habits, not an advert on television.

I was fat, because I ate food. Plenty of people are fat who don't eat fast food, and only eat "healthy & clean".

OK, so adverts, that make people want to go out and buy junk food has nothing to do with people getting fat?

We are aware that physically, after watching said adverts, people need to put one foot in front of the other, plod to their car (or whatever) and go to the restaurant, and buy said food. We are aware of that. But you are also telling me that the adverts that put the idea in ones head about going to get the junk food have nothing to do with it?

I think sir, it is you who is flawed. Not just your logic, just you in general.

Adverts don't make me want to go out and buy "junk" food. There is no such thing as "Junk" food to me regardless, I eat everything and fit it into my macros and calories.

If you see an advert and you want to go buy that junk food, that;s you, not everyone. Yet you're calling me flawed and you're the one who obviously can't control your eating habits? I don't understand.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Oh look another thread blaming something other then eating to much for making someone fat.

It's all sugars fault
    It's all fats fault
    It's foods fault
    It's parents fault
    It's sciences fault
    It's such and such over the hill's fault
    It's advertisings fault

I blame you guys. You make me want to eat popcorn.

This forum sure can be entertaining sometimes.

GO.gif
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    Originally the point is the food industry, targeting certain groups of people, including kids, with junk food products.

If these companies weren't there to advertise their junk, then people would be less aware of it, thus resulting in less consumption of foods that are essentially bad for us.

As for parents with kids. I'll use my own childhood to summarise this. I was never fat as a child, I used to eat what was cooked for me by my mum and my nan. Sunday we would get an ice cream from the ice cream van, I may have got a multi pack of Snickers or something, and eaten them throughout the week. I can't ever really recall adverts for McDonalds, Burger King and KFC. Now all there is on TV is adverts about food, and America and certain European countries have huge obesity problems. It's not coincidence and it's not parents faults, it's food industries that are pumping peoples minds with ideas.

Now, you can rattle on all you like, justify things to suit your own opinions all you like, these huge food industries don't spend money on advertising, for it to not work.

Your logic is flawed. You gained weight because of your own eating habits, not an advert on television.

I was fat, because I ate food. Plenty of people are fat who don't eat fast food, and only eat "healthy & clean".

OK, so adverts, that make people want to go out and buy junk food has nothing to do with people getting fat?

We are aware that physically, after watching said adverts, people need to put one foot in front of the other, plod to their car (or whatever) and go to the restaurant, and buy said food. We are aware of that. But you are also telling me that the adverts that put the idea in ones head about going to get the junk food have nothing to do with it?

Adverts don't make me want to go out and buy "junk" food. There is no such thing as "Junk" food to me regardless, I eat everything and fit it into my macros and calories.

If you see an advert and you want to go buy that junk food, that;s you, not everyone. Yet you're calling me flawed and you're the one who obviously can't control your eating habits? I don't understand.

At what point did I say I cannot control my eating habits?

I say you're flawed, in general, so your response is about something I didn't even say?

Yeah, think I'll stick to my original analysis.

I said you obviously cant, it's an assumption because you're the one talking about how adverts make people eat. So you're telling me you speak for the entire world then do you?

Tell me why I'm flawed then, don't just say it.

We don't have an obesity epidemic because of adverts.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

I say you're flawed, in general, so your response is about something I didn't even say?

I said you obviously cant, it's an assumption because you're the one talking about how adverts make people eat. So you're telling me you speak for the entire world then do you?

You know, I don't really want to divulge. I already made Trogalicious (whatever the name was) abandon the post after reporting me for hurting his feelings, I don't want to cause you to resort to running to moderators.

You said I can't control my eating habits. So, please point out to me where I said I cannot control my own eating habits. Don't deflect by asking me questions, answer my question first.

About you being flawed. That's my opinion. You try to claim that THE ONLY reason one becomes fat, is because one chooses to eat the wrong foods/too much food. You claim adverts have nothing to do with weight gain. I say that "No, Ritchie, you're wrong, adverts do indeed play a part in people wanting to eat the wrong kinds of foods, it influences people to make decisions about eating food that is generally unhealthy" to which you claim my logic is flawed.

If my logic is flawed, then prove it. Prove that these food industries and conglomerates have nothing to do with influencing people to eat the wrong kinds of foods. Prove that they spend millions on advertising for nothing. Prove that billboards, bus stops and adverts on television have no effect on people, then I will accept that my logic is flawed.

wow, you are a piece of work.

and FYI you have no idea who reported you.

In fact, I saw a status of someone that reported you that didnt even post in the thread. It isnt always the person you insult who reports.

I myself never report.

lazy, etc.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

You know, I don't really want to divulge. I already made Trogalicious (whatever the name was) abandon the post after reporting me for hurting his feelings, I don't want to cause you to resort to running to moderators.

You said I can't control my eating habits. So, please point out to me where I said I cannot control my own eating habits. Don't deflect by asking me questions, answer my question first.

About you being flawed. That's my opinion. You try to claim that THE ONLY reason one becomes fat, is because one chooses to eat the wrong foods/too much food. You claim adverts have nothing to do with weight gain. I say that "No, Ritchie, you're wrong, adverts do indeed play a part in people wanting to eat the wrong kinds of foods, it influences people to make decisions about eating food that is generally unhealthy" to which you claim my logic is flawed.

If my logic is flawed, then prove it. Prove that these food industries and conglomerates have nothing to do with influencing people to eat the wrong kinds of foods. Prove that they spend millions on advertising for nothing. Prove that billboards, bus stops and adverts on television have no effect on people, then I will accept that my logic is flawed.

Ok for a start, I just told you it was an assumption.

Reasons;

1. You're over-weight
    2. You are the one talking about adverts making people buy food. (Assuming that applies to you too, or are you exempt from this?)

Don't worry about hurting my feelings dude, I'll be just fine.

Why do people gain weight? Eating too much - whether that be too much lettuce, or too many burger kings.

Does the advert bring the food through the television screen to your mouth? Nope. You do.

A bit of common sense and using a brain allows you to realize you can't get away with eating ridiculous quantities of food without gaining weight.

I eat fast food all the time, I remove no foods from my diet, I see adverts 24/7, I go past McDonalds everyday - see the pattern here? I do everything you've listed but I don't over eat..

why? Common sense.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

He's got a point. An ad for Ford bewitched me into switching from Chevy to Ford and my life has been a constant downward spiral since. If only I had been able to say no to that ad. Why oh why didn't someone invent an interconnected web of networks that would enable me to research and educate myself before I bought. I blame you multi-national conglomerates! You and your gun-to-my-head advertisements making all of my decisions for me. smh
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    hlcE8sr.gif
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    hlcE8sr.gif

This is a good picture of you. It highlights your physical abilities.

So because someone comes at you with a differing opinion with sound logic, you have to resort to name calling and insults? Maybe you should take a break from the forums....like now.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Ok for a start, I just told you it was an assumption.

Reasons;

1. You're over-weight
    2. You are the one talking about adverts making people buy food. (Assuming that applies to you too, or are you exempt from this?)

Don't worry about hurting my feelings dude, I'll be just fine.

Why do people gain weight? Eating too much - whether that be too much lettuce, or too many burger kings.

Does the advert bring the food through the television screen to your mouth? Nope. You do.

A bit of common sense and using a brain allows you to realize you can't get away with eating ridiculous quantities of food without gaining weight.

I eat fast food all the time, I remove no foods from my diet, I see adverts 24/7, I go past McDonalds everyday - see the pattern here? I do everything you've listed but I don't over eat..

why? Common sense.
    lol this. And people being lazy. I can put down a whole lot more mcdonalds then someone sitting on their butt all day. Are you blaming food adverts for people sitting on their butt?
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    If i'm honest it just sounds like he is self projecting what happened to him, it's really common.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    hlcE8sr.gif

So because someone comes at you with a differing opinion with sound logic, you have to resort to name calling and insults? Maybe you should take a break from the forums....like now.
    All I took away from this is that they're like a rock :p
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    hlcE8sr.gif

I'm always helpful and supportive. I think the people who need to back away from the forums, are the people that buzzkill others, mock, ridicule and criticise everyone else's achievements.

I've even seen SOMEONE who is on this post slam and ridicule others for the way they spell. But that's OK Joy, when it's one of your friends doing it, right? Lol.

Endgame, it's you who is argumentative and baiting in this thread. Don't try to blame it on the other 47 people who disagree with your approach. This isn't the first time you've taken a normal discussion into "what the???" territory.
  • cicisiam
    cicisiam Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Epic fail @ compassion empathy or any understanding of woman vs / men and their egos. This is up for discuss and solutions, Not personal attacks on someone character or lack of self esteem (abuse)
    Chit chat & fun forums seems the best place for you to hang out , leave us supportive empathetic alone.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Let's move forward so the thread doesn't get locked down, no one gets a strike, and the OP can have their thread. It is turning into a Hi-Jacking back and forth between a few members.

PLEASE MOVE ON.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others. You can respectfully disagree with the message or topic, but you cannot attack the messenger. This includes attacks against the user’s spelling or command of written English, or belittling a user for posting a duplicate topic.
    b) If you are attacked by another user, and you reciprocate, you will also be subject to the same consequences. Defending yourself or a friend is not an excuse! Do not take matters into your own hands – instead, use the Report Post link to report an attack and we will be happy to handle the situation for you.

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.

Thank You,
    Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    bump - this BBC program looks interesting - interesting topic :)
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Some of the replies, geez! Next time you wish to talk about a UK topic, you might be better off posting it in Team UK ;-)

There's a thread there already about the "spin off show", the men who made us thin.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068631-the-men-who-made-us-thin-starts-bbc2-8-august
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Epic fail @ compassion empathy or any understanding of woman vs / men and their egos. This is up for discuss and solutions, Not personal attacks on someone character or lack of self esteem (abuse)
    Chit chat & fun forums seems the best place for you to hang out , leave us supportive empathetic alone.

My first reaction, but it is a program about advertising not about men vs women in any way shape or form.
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    No one makes anyone fat, YOU MAKE YOURSELF FAT - is what I believe.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Some of the replies, geez! Next time you wish to talk about a UK topic, you might be better off posting it in Team UK ;-)

There's a thread there already about the "spin off show", the men who made us thin.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1068631-the-men-who-made-us-thin-starts-bbc2-8-august

I was wondering if this strange, reflex, 'I made me fat!' reaction was an American phenomenon. I posted something I thought was equally innocuous quite recently and had people on mfp I normally totally respect pull it to pieces because I hinted that there might be external factors that affect our choices.

I watched the programmes, and I would like to point out the following:

1) It's looking at men who made potentially historically important decisions when it comes to how food is sold to us, thus the title. In the same way a general might make a decision in battle that changes the outcome of the war, in any aspect of life there may be these turning points.to me, these are fascinating.

2) Despite the first person plural title THIS IS NOT ABOUT YOU. It is about the population as a whole and what they can be persuaded to buy into. My parents both believed the whole 'low fat' thing, so I grew up on margarine, skimmed milk, etc, while the research against sugar hit them far less. Neither of my parents, in their whole lives, have been anything more than slightly overweight, and they have always rectified that intelligently, but that doesn't mean they were immune to public health campaigns etc.

3) You can believe in personal choice and free will and still acknowledge that we live in an enviroronment that encourages obesity. It is the ease of availability of high calorie density food options, a shift in our perception of portion size and other man made factors that created such an environment. It is why, I often argue, calorie counting stands a better chance of success than intuitive eating in the vast majority of cases. The loaded gun analogy definitely fits for me here.

Glad to see this thread wasn't completely killed before I woke up :laugh:
  • pjlove1
    pjlove1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    um, i hate to be a negative nancy, but if you're on here blaming someone for your being fat, you've already lost the battle. give up.