Should I switch to almond milk ?

Options

Replies

• niamhdean97
    niamhdean97 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would say yes because cows milk is not good for your health. It is full of puss and hormones, plant based is they way to go :)
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    It's a lot lower in calories. I have been meaning to get it for my oatmeal because of that but I love milk so much :s It depends what you use milk for. If it's just to eat cereal or oatmeal or things like that it's fine but I would not drink a glass of almond milk, for example.

Lower in calories, but also lower in nutritional value.

Need to balance within the context of overall diet. 1% milk gives a big protein bang for the calories as an example.

It's better than none, but I wouldn't call it "big." for me the 8 grams or so isn't worth the 100+ extra calories over unsweetened almond or cashew
  • tomorrowperfume
    tomorrowperfume Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    So back to the topic at hand, almond milk is a good low-calorie alternative to cow's milk, especially because you don't like the taste of cow's milk! But keep in mind that almond milk doesn't have as many nutrients as cow's milk, including that hefty 8g of protein per cup. If you're looking for a milk alternative, you might want to try soy milk as well! It's got slightly more calories than almond milk, but it's got 7g of protein per cup, it's pretty cheap and you might like the taste. Let us know!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I would say yes because cows milk is not good for your health. It is full of puss and hormones, plant based is they way to go :)

Yet humans have been consuming dairy products for centuries and maybe millennia. Hmmm.

And where are those humans now? Dead. Dairy will kill you, slowly. Over processed, plant based, packed with delish ingredients that did not see the test of time FTW!!!

B)

Dear god I've been drinking water this whole time but everybody who has had water has died! Stop drinking water people!!!! B)

Dihydrogen Monoxide kills...

Several thousand people annually, in the US alone.

Probably not very many of them are plant-based eaters, though.

( ;) )
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Back on topic - it does not have to be either or. My system relies on low calorie protein solutions and while I do not drink a lot of protein shakes I do use them in certain situations. However, when I want cereal, chocolate milk, sawmill gravy, etc I will definitely steal milk right from a calf's mouth.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    hesn92 wrote: »
    It's a lot lower in calories. I have been meaning to get it for my oatmeal because of that but I love milk so much :s It depends what you use milk for. If it's just to eat cereal or oatmeal or things like that it's fine but I would not drink a glass of almond milk, for example.

Lower in calories, but also lower in nutritional value.

Need to balance within the context of overall diet. 1% milk gives a big protein bang for the calories as an example.

It's better than none, but I wouldn't call it "big." for me the 8 grams or so isn't worth the 100+ extra calories over unsweetened almond or cashew

A cup of skim milk (I know the person said 1%, but for oats I'd likely use skim) has 8 grams of protein and 83 cals. A cup of the low cal almond milk (which is basically flavored water with some supplements added) is 37 cals, so for me the protein difference would favor milk if I were using it for an otherwise lower protein breakfast like oats. (Aside, I don't buy milk now since I don't ever use it before it goes bad, but I bought it regularly years ago when my go-to breakfast was oats.)

In a smoothie, I similarly will use something with more protein, like greek yogurt or tofu, although I often also want more fat so will use homemade cashew milk. For me, if not using protein powder (which I generally don't), the very low cal almond milk wouldn't work in a smoothie, as it would not add the fat or protein I want.

Not at all suggesting people shouldn't prefer or choose almond milk (there are kinds that contain more almonds and thus have cals more like milk) for the reasons that have been expressed, but just giving some reasons why the lower cals might not outweigh the benefits of other beverages for all.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Palm oil is in most of the commercial nut milks. Tell the orangutans whose homes are destroyed by fire with them in the trees...

Slash and burn is the technique used for agricultural production of palms for palm oil. Natural forests are being slash/burned at an alarming rate to feed the lust for palm oil in developed countries. Nothing good comes from this.

Orangutans are endangered. Cows aren't.

If you have to drink nut milks, please make them yourself at home.

Does palm oil go by any other names? I checked the ingredients on my almond milk and didn't see it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,958 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Palm oil is in most of the commercial nut milks. Tell the orangutans whose homes are destroyed by fire with them in the trees...

Slash and burn is the technique used for agricultural production of palms for palm oil. Natural forests are being slash/burned at an alarming rate to feed the lust for palm oil in developed countries. Nothing good comes from this.

Does palm oil go by any other names? I checked the ingredients on my almond milk and didn't see it.

here:

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/palm-oil/palm-oil-labelling

Look for these four words, and then if you see them you can take it further. It's tough. Chocolate, baked goods, frozen desserts, soaps - so many uses for palm oil. I get exhausted.:

Identifying-Palm-Oil-Deriva.jpg?itok=HHUG3h37

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Personally I like oat milk, tastes good to me. Also in terms of environmental impact, I'm in the UK and oats grown in Sweden seem more sustainable.
    Do like almond milk as well though, this morning I had porridge made with dark chocolate almond milk, topped with Apple and cinnamon. It was very successful 😊

As ever, depends on what you like and what you are trying to achieve.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options

Or buy an alternative milk without palm oil. A very quick google of the only brand that I (which is a pretty major brand) buy shows that they don't have palm oil in the almond, hazelnut, or hemp milks (I like the taste of hemp milk - I don't buy it for any of the "hemp is sooooooooooo good for you" reasons. The company is also local and It's an exceedingly good bet that the hazelnuts are as well given the state that I live in (a quick check at their website and yes, they're local hazelnuts). A quick look at another major national player shows that they too don't use palm oil, at least they don't in their almond milk.