Should I switch to almond milk ?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,621 Member
    Options
    Is anyone concerned that almond milk is meant to be worse for the environment than cow's milk?
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Is anyone concerned that almond milk is meant to be worse for the environment than cow's milk?

I actually haven’t heard anything about that. Could you explain?
  • xodreamariexo
    xodreamariexo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I did buy my first half gallon of almond milk. I actually think it tastes amazing and could even drink it plain which is so weird since I think cows milk is disgusting lol. I’ve used it for smoothies, cereal, and chocolate milk. But wondering how it would hold up as a substitute for cow milk in cooking such as creamy pastas or boxed recipes that call for milk
  • PrismaticPhoenix
    PrismaticPhoenix Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've heard that argument before, but I don't know about it. Because while almonds certainly do take up water and use pesticides...so do cows and the plants that are necessary to feed them. And I say this as someone who consumes cow dairy and doesn't intend to stop.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    I don't drink cow milk or plant-based "milk" and don't eat cereal.

Tea for the win!

78d2cd34c69e9ac9321179a092b77ec6.png
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I don't drink cow milk or plant-based "milk" and don't eat cereal.

Tea for the win!

78d2cd34c69e9ac9321179a092b77ec6.png

But the carbon footprint of shipping that tea! I'll stick with primarily drinking water ;)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

While almond growing in California is extremely water intensive and thus bad for the planet; cow's milk worse.

From your link:

(this isn’t to say cow’s milk, which takes about 100 litres of water to produce 100ml of milk, is more environmentally friendly...

See also: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46654042

...Almond milk requires more water to produce than soy or oat milk. A single glass requires 74 litres (130 pints of water) - more than a typical shower. Rice milk is also comparatively thirsty, requiring 54 litres of water per glass.

However, it's worth noting that both almond and rice milk still require less water to produce than the typical glass of dairy milk.

The problem with this type of analysis is that almond milk is mostly produced in CA, and apparently takes a toll on honeybees, whereas cow's milk can be easily sourced locally and unlike CA, where I live has no drought problem (if anything, the opposite).

It's also why I prefer nut milks that actually include the nuts (ideally homemade) -- although that means they are not low cal.

But there are drawbacks with everything we eat, so I don't think it's wrong to prefer the low cal store-bought almond milk.

As noted before I don't really use milk, other than homemade cashew milk in a smoothie. I do like other forms of dairy, like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and (more indulgently) ice cream and cheese in general.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

While almond growing in California is extremely water intensive and thus bad for the planet; cow's milk worse.

From your link:

(this isn’t to say cow’s milk, which takes about 100 litres of water to produce 100ml of milk, is more environmentally friendly...

See also: https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46654042

...Almond milk requires more water to produce than soy or oat milk. A single glass requires 74 litres (130 pints of water) - more than a typical shower. Rice milk is also comparatively thirsty, requiring 54 litres of water per glass.

However, it's worth noting that both almond and rice milk still require less water to produce than the typical glass of dairy milk.

The problem with this type of analysis is that almond milk is mostly produced in CA, and apparently takes a toll on honeybees, whereas cow's milk can be easily sourced locally and unlike CA, where I live has no drought problem (if anything, the opposite).

It's also why I prefer nut milks that actually include the nuts (ideally homemade) -- although that means they are not low cal.

But there are drawbacks with everything we eat, so I don't think it's wrong to prefer the low cal store-bought almond milk.

As noted before I don't really use milk, other than homemade cashew milk in a smoothie. I do like other forms of dairy, like cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and (more indulgently) ice cream and cheese in general.

I was curious about the connection (my first thought was do almond trees displace other crops that honey bees rely on?) and found articles indicating that almond trees actually depend on pollinators like honey bees, but that fungicides sprayed on the trees appear to be harming the bees. This seems like a problem that the almond growers will be forced to solve (presumably by finding ways to combat fungi that are less harmful to honey bees), if they are depending on bees to pollinate their crops.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Palm oil is in most of the commercial nut milks. Tell the orangutans whose homes are destroyed by fire with them in the trees...

Slash and burn is the technique used for agricultural production of palms for palm oil. Natural forests are being slash/burned at an alarming rate to feed the lust for palm oil in developed countries. Nothing good comes from this.

Orangutans are endangered. Cows aren't.

If you have to drink nut milks, please make them yourself at home.

Does palm oil go by any other names? I checked the ingredients on my almond milk and didn't see it.

here:

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/palm-oil/palm-oil-labelling

Look for these four words, and then if you see them you can take it further. It's tough. Chocolate, baked goods, frozen desserts, soaps - so many uses for palm oil. I get exhausted.:

Identifying-Palm-Oil-Deriva.jpg?itok=HHUG3h37

None of this in the brand I use in the UK/Ireland either.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Most excellent. The 0% feels and tastes like regular 2% milk.

1cup serving = 80cal

Per Serving Protein Sugar Calcium Lactose

fairlife® ultra-filtered fat free milk
    13g 6g 380mg No

regular milk
    8g 12g 276mg Yes

almond milk
    1g 7g 451mg No

FL_FatFree_52oz_Frt-e1570823605961.png

And therein lies just one of the problems for me. You would not have been able to get five year old me to drink that (and would have wasted money in the process) and my current 32 year old self is also not going to drink it. I think the taste of milk is gross and that's ok. People are allowed to not like milk in the same way people are allowed to not like the taste of raisins, mayonnaise, oysters, mushrooms, or anything else.
  • seximama2017
    seximama2017 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Personally, the unsweetened almond milk, original, is what I use for my homemade smoothies. If I want it sweet, one tbsp. of Splenda does the trick. I know Splenda is also an acquired taste but growing up with diabetics I used it for everything that wasn’t as sweet as I wanted.
  • allother94
    allother94 Posts: 588 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    No. It’s a scam. Almonds don’t even have breast. Can can you milk one?
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    No. It’s a scam. Almonds don’t even have breast. Can can you milk one?

https://youtu.be/nPKYgHtnMJQ
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    aokoye wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Most excellent. The 0% feels and tastes like regular 2% milk.

1cup serving = 80cal

Per Serving Protein Sugar Calcium Lactose

fairlife® ultra-filtered fat free milk
    13g 6g 380mg No

regular milk
    8g 12g 276mg Yes

almond milk
    1g 7g 451mg No

And therein lies just one of the problems for me. You would not have been able to get five year old me to drink that (and would have wasted money in the process) and my current 32 year old self is also not going to drink it. I think the taste of milk is gross and that's ok. People are allowed to not like milk in the same way people are allowed to not like the taste of raisins, mayonnaise, oysters, mushrooms, or anything else.

Including the OP :smile:

I guess @Just_tomek just really likes Milk :lol:
  • Josh_Friedman
    Josh_Friedman Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I made the decision to stop drinking cow's milk and switch to almond milk and don't taste the difference. Reading The Cheese Trap by Dr Neal Bernard convinced me to stop eating dairy products. I view it from an evolutionary standpoint; What is cow's milk intended to do? A baby calf learns how to eat by trial and error. So cow's milk is designed to be a reward for a calf teaching itself how to eat, become addictive, and take an animal that weighs about 50lbs, and turn it into an animal that weighs 500 lbs. Dr Bernard opines that milk and cheese are scientifically more addictive than heroin. So I came off dairy products and don't miss it.