Should I switch to almond milk ?

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This might be a fun point to inject my biased (and partly tongue in cheek) contention that language peevery, rather than being about clear communication, is primarily a class marker . . .

. . . not upper class: Aspirational class.

;););)

Yes I often think that.

When we occasionally get the grammar police citing examples like Family visiting for tea, , Lets eat Grandma - punctuation matters!!!!!
    It should be Lets eat, Grandma

Well, yes, it should - but what storm in a teacup nonsense, nobody reading that sentence would have any doubt what it meant, comma or no comma. :*:*

Sorry, returning to milk debate.......

I am sure you mean, "Let's eat, Grandma."

Yes, constable. ;)

...but eating Grandma is far more amusing...
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Yes, agreed, I find these mis-grammars amusing too

My favourite being the Australian one: Wombat: eats, roots, and leaves.

( for benifit of non Australians, root here is common slang for word starting with f)

But I meant more the serious It really matters!!!!!! brigade.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited December 2019
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    Milk has more cals, but also more protein.

I use this because dairy gives me all kinds of digestive issues. It's actually got more protein than dairy milk and it doesn't mess with my guts. Blends well with coffee, too...and doesn't appear to have any palm oil in it.

y06f8vfpseis.png

Only because it has pea protein added. Fine, but one could add pea protein to water, so it has zero to do with the discussion of almond milk. (Same with the calcium in almond milk which is just a supplement.)

It's also 130 cals, which is more than skim or 1% milk, probably even 2%.

Is it better for people lactose intolerant? Sure. Is it tastier? Matter of personal preference (I wouldn't be interested in drinking this but I also don't drink milk).
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member

( for benifit of non Australians, root here is common slang for word starting with f)

How else do you expect them to go forth and multiply? ;)
  • danversk97
    danversk97 Posts: 2 Member
    I didn't drink dairy for a few years, but recently had it again. While the taste and calories are the biggest factors to switching, I found myself having mostly dairy, but the one thing I still buy is plant milk. For me, there's something about the taste that I can't quite switch back to with dairy milk.
  • AriesFL
    AriesFL Posts: 810 Member
    I’m a simple man. I just drink almond milk because it is easier on my stomach. To each their own.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I use this because dairy gives me all kinds of digestive issues. It's actually got more protein than dairy milk and it doesn't mess with my guts. Blends well with coffee, too...and doesn't appear to have any palm oil in it.

y06f8vfpseis.png

Only because it has pea protein added. Fine, but one could add pea protein to water, so it has zero to do with the discussion of almond milk. (Same with the calcium in almond milk which is just a supplement.)

Is it better for people lactose intolerant? Sure. Is it tastier? Matter of personal preference (I wouldn't be interested in drinking this but I also don't drink milk).

I personally appreciate the addition of pea protein, since it is a complete protein with the full range of essential amino acids. Have you ever added pea protein to water, mixed it and drank it? Have you compared it to pea protein enhanced nut milk? Probably not. Because if you had, then you'd know there's a huge difference. Plain pea protein in water tastes like *kitten*. It's basically ground split pea dust. Not very milky. Nutritious, but gross.

As far as calories go, 2% milk has about 122 calories. This stuff has 8 calories more than that, and a few more grams of protein and a lot less sugar to show for it. The 2% dairy milk has 4 times more sugar than the nut milk. The calories in the nut milk come mainly from healthy, unsaturated fats. I don't worry too much about 130 good quality calories in my diet. And for someone who can't tolerate dairy (casein, not just lactose) I appreciate the "supplemented" calcium this stuff provides.

Pea protein enhanced nut milk tastes like nut milk, because nut milk is the primary ingredient. Therefore, I think this particular product IS relevant to this discussion of alternative plant-based milk (almond milk). If one wants more than just pea dust mixed in water, something more like drinking milk, then this is a better option than pea water. Just sayin'... ;)
  • lemurcat2
    edited December 2019

y06f8vfpseis.png

I personally appreciate the addition of pea protein, since it is a complete protein with the full range of essential amino acids. Have you ever added pea protein to water, mixed it and drank it? Have you compared it to pea protein enhanced nut milk? Probably not. Because if you had, then you'd know there's a huge difference. Plain pea protein in water tastes like *kitten*. It's basically ground split pea dust. Not very milky. Nutritious, but gross.

I've used pea protein in smoothies. Adding this vs. adding just the pea protein wouldn't do anything for me.

(I no longer use protein powder of any type, but I see nothing wrong with drinking it, whether in almond milk or not. I just want to make it clear that it's not the almond/cashew milk that has the protein, and that this product is much higher cal in that some are saying the benefit of almond/cashew milk is the low, low cals.)
    As far as calories go, 2% milk has about 122 calories. This stuff has 8 calories more than that, and a few more grams of protein and a lot less sugar to show for it.

Sure, although I don't consider the naturally-occurring sugar in milk a negative as you seem to, and if one wants the benefits of almond or cashews this type of storebought nutmilk doesn't actually contain much of either (which is why the kind without protein powder is low cal when nuts are not).

It really just comes down to taste, personal preferences in terms of how one gets protein, and what one is using the milk for. (I don't drink any kind of milk, as mentioned, although I do put greek yogurt and sometimes homemade cashew milk -- which is NOT low cal -- in smoothies.) I'm not arguing that skim or 1% milk is superior, just that almond milk is not inherently superior for all purposes either. I think it makes sense to drink what one likes best if one wants to drink (or otherwise use) milk of any sort.

You apparently really enjoy the taste of this particular nut milk product, so this is a nice option for you. OP might enjoy it too, but in that she seemed excited about the lower cals, I do think it's worth noting that the extra protein (10 g) comes with about 90 more cals too.
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    My fiancé and I buy unsweetened vanilla almond milk. He likes the taste and it's an easy replacement in recipes that require milk (or I'll get unsweetened regular soy for certain recipes). The vanilla is subtle.
    I became lactose intolerant at 21 to milk. So unless I feel like running to a restroom - no milk.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member

There's an actual book published in the U.S. titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" with a drawing of a panda on the cover with a gun (presumably "shooting" after eating and before leaving).
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member

y06f8vfpseis.png

I've used pea protein in smoothies. Adding this vs. adding just the pea protein wouldn't do anything for me.

(I no longer use protein powder of any type, but I see nothing wrong with drinking it, whether in almond milk or not. I just want to make it clear that it's not the almond/cashew milk that has the protein, and that this product is much higher cal in that some are saying the benefit of almond/cashew milk is the low, low cals.)
    As far as calories go, 2% milk has about 122 calories. This stuff has 8 calories more than that, and a few more grams of protein and a lot less sugar to show for it.

Sure, although I don't consider the naturally-occurring sugar in milk a negative as you seem to, and if one wants the benefits of almond or cashews this type of storebought nutmilk doesn't actually contain much of either (which is why the kind without protein powder is low cal when nuts are not).

It really just comes down to taste, personal preferences in terms of how one gets protein, and what one is using the milk for. (I don't drink any kind of milk, as mentioned, although I do put greek yogurt and sometimes homemade cashew milk -- which is NOT low cal -- in smoothies.) I'm not arguing that skim or 1% milk is superior, just that almond milk is not inherently superior for all purposes either. I think it makes sense to drink what one likes best if one wants to drink (or otherwise use) milk of any sort.

You apparently really enjoy the taste of this particular nut milk product, so this is a nice option for you. OP might enjoy it too, but in that she seemed excited about the lower cals, I do think it's worth noting that the extra protein (10 g) comes with about 90 more cals too.

I'm an endurance runner, mountain biker and I weight train, so that extra 10 gram boost of protein is totally worth a measly 90 calories.

But I get what you're saying. If calories are more important than nutrition, then the plain almond milk is going to win. But to me, that stuff is not as useful as pea protein enhanced version. Plain almond is milk-like for the milk drinking experience but there's not much else beneficial about it. So I agree with you there.

👍
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water. Also instead of buying try making this at home. Stupid easy.

Actually the real name is Almond MILK. So, I think we can just keep calling it that.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member

There's an actual book published in the U.S. titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" with a drawing of a panda on the cover with a gun (presumably "shooting" after eating and before leaving).

Yes, I know - that panda one is the original saying.

some clever Aussie then mutated it into our wombat one.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water. Also instead of buying try making this at home. Stupid easy.

Actually the real name is Almond MILK. So, I think we can just keep calling it that.

It works as milk for culinary purposes and has been used as such since at least the 13th century in multiple cultures, so I would have thought people would be used to it by now . . .
  • s_rivera_92
    s_rivera_92 Posts: 92 Member
    I'm sure it's already been mentioned several times already, but almond milk supposedly has more calcium than cow's milk.
  • lemurcat2
    Only when supplemented, so depends on the brand. Which is still fine if you need the calcium, but I never get why this is supposed to be different from taking a calcium supplement.