Should I switch to almond milk ?

Options

Replies

• astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    One benefit of almond milk is that it stays fresh for longer than dairy milk. I used to buy milk but used it rarely. It would go sour before I could use it up. I switched to almond milk for several reasons but one of my main reasons to use it is that it doesn't go sour as fast. I can keep a carton in my fridge and used it up all the way.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    My daughter isn't a fan of cows milk, though she enjoys yogurt, cheese etc, just doesn't like it for drinking.

She uses unsweetened vanilla almond milk. She said she liked cashew better but it costs more so she uses the almond. She doesn't drink cups of it straight, she uses it in cereal or smoothies mostly. One container lasts her quite awhile.

TLDR: if you prefer it to cows milk, go for it.
  • erjones11
    erjones11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I use it to make pancakes and such for the calories. I suppose it makes me think it is something more then water with some juiced almonds. I don't care I like the pancakes made with it and don't want/need milk.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It's a lot lower in calories. I have been meaning to get it for my oatmeal because of that but I love milk so much :s It depends what you use milk for. If it's just to eat cereal or oatmeal or things like that it's fine but I would not drink a glass of almond milk, for example.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water. Also instead of buying try making this at home. Stupid easy.

It costs around £5.50 for enough almonds to make around 2 litres of almond milk, it costs £3 for 2 x 1 litre of Almond Milk from the Supermarket. Stupid expensive is what it sounds like to me. That's without having to get the muslin and finding room to store it in the fridge.

£5.50 worth of almonds will produce a beverage with way more almond taste than store bought.
  • broccolini992
    broccolini992 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I never buy milk (beyond gross) and switch between soy, cashew, and oat milk. I have never had a problem subbing soy or cashew for regular milk in a recipe (and only get the chocolate oat milk bc its so darn good!)
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    It’s the exact same price at my grocery store so I’m wondering what are the benefits of switching to almond milk. Does unsweetened almond milk taste like milk?

Why not just live 'dangerously' and buy some...making some is easy too. If it's just a 'taste' thing you can be the judge...if you concern yourself with certain macros...do your research.

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water. Also instead of buying try making this at home. Stupid easy.

It costs around £5.50 for enough almonds to make around 2 litres of almond milk, it costs £3 for 2 x 1 litre of Almond Milk from the Supermarket. Stupid expensive is what it sounds like to me. That's without having to get the muslin and finding room to store it in the fridge.

Did you ever notice how much almonds are in the store bought milk? Maybe look into it and then talk? Not to mention that you will be actually drinking water and almonds only. Again look at the box of the store bought stuff.
    You dont have to get the muslin, you can filter other ways.
    You still have to store the store bought stuff in the fridge.

But if you prefer the store bought, why not. Convenience will always win.

I just want it as a lactose free low calorie alternative to milk because it gives me acid reflux so the store bought stuff is quite suitable and I have no need to look into it, as I said, I actually prefer Oat Milk anyway.

Yes convenience in this case wins, because it's more cost/time effective. Not sure what your problem is with that? Also the stuff I buy is usually UHT so doesn't need to be stored in the fridge.

OP was interested in a low calorie alternative so the store bought stuff also meets her requirements just fine.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,153 Member
    Options
    As a long-term ovo-lacto vegetarian, I find that nonfat milk makes an excellent contribution to my fairly high daily protein goal, at a very reasonable calorie level. I put 3/4C of it, heated, in each of 2 daily cups of coffee, for around 12g total protein at a reasonable 128 calories, or about 10.7 calories per gram of protein. I consider things with 10 calories per protein gram good protein sources, in context of the range of foods I eat, so nonfat milk is close to that. The micronutrients are a good bonus, too. My Northern European genes seem to have made me very able to digest it without problems, even at age 64. On balance, for me, it's a win.

Different people's taste preferences and nutritional context are going to vary. Pretty much only you can decide what works best for you.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Cows don't voluntarily make milk at all. Therefore, they do not do so with a purpose.

Intention doesn't really come from biology. You have to make some sort of claim for an intrinsic telos, which usually requires an appeal to something like an intention or even purposeful creator or defining force/structure within the universe (i.e., it starts seeming like a form of religion pretty easily). I have no problem with that, as I'm religious, but it's certainly not just science.

Pretty much nothing that humans eat (or with respect to more manufactured foods, make food they eat from) has as its sole or primary intrinsic "purpose" "to be eaten by humans." Even with vegetables, WE may intend tomatoes we grow to serve as food, but do seeds germinate with an intention of feeding humans? Therefore, to suggest this makes milk special makes no sense, IMO.

I get that many who are anti milk are also vegan, but it's especially weird that people insist that "cow's milk is for calves" and not "chicken legs are for chickens" or whatnot.

Well, the "reason" plants develop tasty fruits (which technically is what a tomato is) is so that animals will eat the fruit and disperse the seeds in their waste. That's the benefit for the genetic trait of producing a tastier/larger/more energy-dense fruit than another plant. So in a sense the seeds do germinate with the purpose of feeding animals.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Your quote marks suggest that you actually agree with my broader point.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    The "cow milk is for baby cows" argument is fine, if you're against the dairy industry. Which I totally understand. However if you aren't vegan it doesn't really make sense. Lots of things we eat aren't "intended" to be eaten.