Options
123457»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water.

Speaking as a chemist and as an eater: A milk is just a colloidal solution or suspension. Nut and seed and grain milks are called that for the same reason that mammary discharge is called a milk, they are indeed all colloidal suspensions in water. And for culinary purposes, the nondairy milks are functionally similar to dairy milk.

The term milk has never been limited to dairy milk. The dairy industry is pushing the idea that other milks can't be called milk because they are worried they will lose market share. There is no linguistic or scientific basis for that campaign.

And nobody is going to start calling almond milk "almond-infused water". Sorry.

Some might:

https://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/simply-almond-beverage
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,994 Member
    Options
    I would say the term milk really refers to mammals produced liquid to feed their young.

So, not specifically dairy milk - also human milk, dog milk, mouse milk etc.

I do not object to the term rice milk, almond milk, soy milk - because we all use figures of speech and we all know what those things are.

But technically they are not all milk. Milk is a specific thing.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is called "almond drink" here, so it's less confusing. When I was first offered "almond milk", I thought it was almond flavored cow milk and was taken aback when it didn't taste like milk at all. After the initial culture shock of not comprehending why it would be called milk, I really don't care what it's called now as long as I know what someone is trying to communicate. If someone uses the term milk, I use the term milk in that conversation. Calling it anything else can be misread as condescending or disapproving of their choice of drink/milk or even ethical stance.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    jwoolman5 wrote: »
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Its NOT milk. Please stop calling it that. Its an almond / cashew / coconut infused water.

Speaking as a chemist and as an eater: A milk is just a colloidal solution or suspension. Nut and seed and grain milks are called that for the same reason that mammary discharge is called a milk, they are indeed all colloidal suspensions in water. And for culinary purposes, the nondairy milks are functionally similar to dairy milk.

The term milk has never been limited to dairy milk. The dairy industry is pushing the idea that other milks can't be called milk because they are worried they will lose market share. There is no linguistic or scientific basis for that campaign.

And nobody is going to start calling almond milk "almond-infused water". Sorry.

I don't think it has much to do with chemistry, though. Jello is a colloid and so is mayo, but I don't think people will start calling them gelatine milk and egg milk any time soon. I think it's more about how these beverages are commonly used and their color. When I think "milk", I still think dairy milk. It's most commonly understood as such without needing to add "dairy" to it.

Language fascinates me. Almond milk, as a term, became less popular for a while (probably because dairy milk became easier to preserve and more popular to drink) then there was a renewed interest and a surge in popularity in the recent years. Books are not an exact representation of usage, and the percentages for both terms are different so they can't be directly compared, but interesting nonetheless.

2kociexeyv36.png
    jx2glh05x1by.png

• jenferbar
    jenferbar Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    So much going on in this post...

I love dairy products...have issues with the industry, but haven't found good substitutes yet.

I drink fairlife milk 2% (if it is out of stock, I go for organic milk, but it has more sugar, less protein.) But I rarely drink milk without anything mixed into it...ovaltine, tea, rarely coffee, chai concentrate, cereal, etc. I don't really like the taste of milk, but the mouthfeel/satiety/creaminess is hard to find elsewhere. (Will be checking out oatmilk soon.)

Personally, I like almond milk for certain things...basis for smoothies, primarily. Too thin for cereal (cold or hot), just okay for tea to me. If oatmilk has a creamier feel/taste, it may be a better substitute for me.

However, I get most of my protein from my milk...I don't eat meat daily. (Have been vegetarian, but wasn't getting enough protein, so I have meat a few meals a week to augment my intake.)

I have had premier protein shakes instead of milk for breakfast...have a love/hate relationship with protein smoothies, but this one is palatable when I mix the vanilla smoothie with chai concentrate or coffee for a morning drink with 30g of protein. (And it was only 2 points on WW)

I hope you find something that works for you.