January 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Went to the running clinic last night, no physios, lots of advice - "eat this, stretch that, wear orange, flap your arms like a duck, buy a garmin, it will all definitely make your back better". The one thing every agreed on was yoga and pilates, even random strangers in the railway station were telling me that so once I am back from my weekend away I will sit and watch a pilates video, not saying I'm going to do any of it but I will relax with a glass of wine for sure!

exercise.png

Yoga With Adrienne is good. Have the wine first... it’ll definitely help. 😀

I also like “Bob and Brad” on YouTube. The PT exercises they had for my neck and shoulder pain were amazingly effective

OMG love those guys. You know they are the most famous physical therapists on the Internet (probably)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    I haven't run yet... been sitting here catching up on all the posts I missed!
    Running gear. I would be embarrassed to post how much gear I have. Like @RunsOnEspresso I have a lot. Much of what I have are from when I started running and liked ok at that time but have moved on to find things that are more comfortable and just haven't gotten rid of the old stuff. I used to wear singlets and short sleeved shirts to run most of the year but after getting beaten up by my dermatologist and spending way too much on sunscreens I have invested in more long-sleeved running shirts and used them pretty much all this last summer. I do wear the others to the gym for strength training so I won't get rid of all of them but I do need to go thru and purge. I discovered last night that I have probably 5 pairs of running shorts and I probably have the same or more capris and just one or 2 long/warm tights for when I travel somewhere colder than here. I have all of my race shirts, so 26 from HMs and maybe 6-8 from other shorter races. I am down to 3 pairs of running shoes in rotation, all Topos. I also have 2 pairs of Topo trail shoes that I use mostly for agility class and trials. Oh and I have started collecting running hats in places we visit where I can find a local running store with a hat that has some designation of the location (so far just 3 - San Francisco (from marathon), Healdsburg Running and Boise Running).

Running with others - I am also a solo runner (not counting that I run with Hobbes the Vizsla). When I was working it was my sanctuary, my time to de-stress and not have to deal with anyone else. Now I would kind of like to join a running group if I can find one with runners at my pace. I did a couple of runs with my local Oiselle Volee team but they are all very fast and I ended up alone anyway. There is a local BALG group that meets twice a month that I may try to run with even though it is a ways away. I also talked to friend who got me into running and altho she is an hour away we talked about meeting half way once a month or so.

Stretching before running - I still do some stretching based on advice from the PT. I do my PT exercises, foam roll hips, glutes and calves and do a few calf and hip stretches before I head out.

@mbaker566 - Molly's parents rescued a cattle dog previously who died from cancer about 6 months ago so they are experienced. We were noticing though how Molly's personality was starting to come out during this trip. She is a really sweet girl and clearly loved by her previous owners. We even discovered she is crate trained (tested with Hobbes crate). But my friend commented basically the same as you that they need to get her busy or she will be trouble. They are looking for classes (obedience, agility, tracking, etc.) to get her mentally and physically stimulated and tired, as well as playtime and lots of walks with them.

@kgirlhart - I am so glad your mom is doing well!
    @samthepanda - I have found that getting outside especially in the cold air helps me to breath better when I have bronchitis attacks.
    @TheMrWobbly - I hope your back loosens up soon! I had some back issues a couple of weeks ago and am so glad they have gone away!

I thought I would mention for anyone new who is doing the 2020 Run the Year we have a discussion group and teams that you can join or follow.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10775803/2020-run-the-year-group#latest
    I see that @kit_katty has already joined us.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    kit_katty wrote: »
    Hello, first time posting just general comments...

So I'm trying to streak. Walk at least 1km per day. I count all my steps per my Garmin and want to average 5.5 miles a day.

I was doing great for like 2 weeks, I was running 5k a day... but now I have an ingrown toenail that's infected. (bottom of toe so there's nothing I can do about it except different footwear). It's been cut and I'm on antibiotics but I don't think it's going to clear up which means another trip to the podiatrist and another 10 or so days not running. :'( Which sucks because I was doing so well.

So I'm trying to watch what I eat and go for walks.

This is also my first week back at work from maternity leave, so that's added stress and complications.

@kit_katty Ouch! I had to have one of those removed when I was around 14, it was probably the worst pain I have ever been through (yes, worse than childbirth even but then I had an epidural ;-) ). One thing I was told to do while I was on the antibiotics was to soak it each evening in warm water with a tonne of bicarbonate (baking soda) in to draw out the pus and soften it up. In the end they had to take it out and kill the roots to stop it growing back. I learned since to always cut them straight and to cut a V in the middle of a nail the minute it starts to feel like it might be going that way, so far that's been enough to avoid a repeat operation on the other side for 30-odd years.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    melbarre wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    Jan 2nd I watched "Brittany Runs A Marathon" movie. At the risk of sounding cheesy, not only did main character inspire me but so did the actress playing Brittany. I thought a person was born into being a runner. Brittany and Jillian Bell showed me anyone can take up running and succeed in their own level. So here I am: Taking this running thing 100% seriously but needing to be held accountable as well as encouraged.

Here is where I am at so far: I downloaded the app Jillian Bell used to get started, joined a gym and a hired a trainer (temporarily - with my Christmas money) to help with getting on the right track, accountability as well as muscle building.
    Progress:
    Jan 7 .013 miles
    Jan 9 .016 miles
    Jan 10 .081 miles
    Jan 11. .021 miles
    Jan 14. .94 miles
    Jan 17. .080 miles

Welcome!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,956 Member
    Glad you're feeling some better @PastorVincent . We've been missing you around here. Hope the dreadmill run goes okay.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    @PastorVincent I read it! So helpful! It will be forty degrees for my run today and I should have already gotten out for it but alas.... slow lazy morning for me, after a long, difficult week.

Scheduled to run 16 miles today - i will go to the gym first, then probably park my car at home and leave for the run from there.

It’ll be a long day, but hopefully quite productive!
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    I'm in to comment on the Running Gear.

I own:
    Too many pairs of Athletic Works Capris from Walmart. I discovered that the fitted ones have a lower rise than the flared yoga ones, but I prefer shorts, anyway, so I cut off the bottom 11 or so inches of all of them, so they hit just above my knee.

Too many racer-back tanks from Walmart, mostly cotton, a few blends, and at least 2 poly mesh ones that I never ever wear.

The socks I prefer work just fine in my running shoes, so I don't buy special socks - likewise underwear.

I wear all of the above regularly as well, none of it is designated for "running only."

I am blessed(?) in my anatomy that I don't need a lot of support, so I have a drawer full of sports bras from Walmart, and I recently discovered that Fruit of the Loom makes a Cotton Racerback Pullover sports bra that works well for me, at $10 for a 3-pack. So another dozen of those.

I believe the last count was 15 pairs of shoes, at least 10 of which are Merrell Bare Access, one TOPO, one Brooks Glycerin, one Xero, and 2 Mizuno Wave Universe 5.

One Hydration Vest.

Fitbit Charge 2, worn round-the-clock, Garmin Vivosmart HR+ that I thought I might replace the Fitbit with, but now only run with on outdoor runs, and a Sole F80 Treadmill that I do most of my running on.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    edited January 2020
    @PastorVincent I read it! So helpful! It will be forty degrees for my run today and I should have already gotten out for it but alas.... slow lazy morning for me, after a long, difficult week.

Scheduled to run 16 miles today - i will go to the gym first, then probably park my car at home and leave for the run from there.

It’ll be a long day, but hopefully quite productive!

With my full winter set up, I have run in weather cold enough to have my sweat freeze to my face and been fine. My full set up is too warm for merely "freezing" temps. My big problem right now is I have clothes to run in 20 and below in, and clothes to run in 50 and above. The gap in between is a vast wasteland off too cold/hot :)