You guys, I found pasta that's GASP....HEALTHY!

Options
Simply Nature Organic Black Soybean Spaghetti! GET THEE TO ALDI! this pasta contains 1 ingredient; organic black soybean flour. This pasta cooks in about 4 minutes and tastes incredible! Even the texture is on point. Let's get to the stats; 2oz dry contains 180 calories, 19g of carbs;11 of which are from fiber! It's got a whopping 25g of plant based protein AND it's vegan. I added it to the database so you'll easily be able to log this food! I hope you love it!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I eat soy spaghetti, but the brands I've tried, to me, are quite a bit chewier than wheat pasta. (I haven't tried Aldi's, but have eaten several others). Therefore, I personally don't care for soy pastas in quasi-Italian dishes, such as with tomato sauce. If I get to the local Aldi's, I'll try theirs, to compare.

I do enjoy soy pasta in pseudo-Asian dishes, such as with miso and veggies and seasonings. A particular favorite is mixed with veggies and a reduced-calorie peanut sauce. The base is peanut powder (like PB2 or PBFit, etc.) mixed with rice vinegar, and seasonings. A favorite variation is adding fermented chile paste to the base. Other seasoning options could include any tasty combination of minced garlic clove, fresh ginger, Szechuan peppercorns, chopped green onions, soy sauce, or (if I have the calories) a bit of toasted sesame oil.

For tomato sauce or other Italian-esque preparations, I prefer chickpea or lentil pasta, as I find the texture more similar. The protein level is still nearly twice that of wheat pasta, which is useful to me as a vegetarian. Typically, it's just chickpea flour, though sometimes there's pea protein or other unsurprising ingredients.

I do find the flavor slightly flatter than wheat pasta, so I prefer a hearty sauce. Another MFP-er suggested a sauce made by pulverizing dried mushrooms to a powder, then combining with cooked lentils and tomato sauce, plus seasonings of choice. This is really hearty and tasty, and the lentils and mushrooms add even more protein.

Another product I tried recently and liked was chickpea "rice" (really just chickpea orzo in a small size, if you ask me). It has more protein than regular rice or wheat orzo, cooks quickly, has neutral flavor, and can be used as a rice alternate.

Like others here, I see nothing wrong with wheat pasta (white or whole wheat, though I prefer the latter for flavor). If one enjoys eating it, has the calories to spend, and gets overall good nutrition, it's fine.

As a vegetarian, I usually prefer to spend those calories on higher-protein foods. Sometimes that's actual beans, sometimes it's soy or legume pasta, sometimes the legume "rice".

I tried the chickpea "rice" recently and enjoyed it, but I agree that it's really just orzo. I'd buy it again though.
  • stephaniek511
    stephaniek511 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I've tried the green Edamame pasta from Aldi and enjoyed it - I know they had the other choice so will have to try it based on your recommendation. I liked that I can leave out any protein source that I would include with traditional spaghetti and still feel that I got a balanced meal. I also found the texture to not be that much different!