You guys, I found pasta that's GASP....HEALTHY!

Options

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    psychod787 wrote: »
    it would be a sad day is pasta was really poisonous...i eat it probably at least 3-4 times a week, if not daily - most of the time 2(ish) servings (as it fits my cals)

You're already ded. 😋

I am on the inside... lol

You'd have to be. I saw you post about eating kale. :sick:

:lol:
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have to limit wheat because something other than gluten in it causes me trouble if I eat too much or too often, so I like to have a variety of non-wheat pastas available as well. Some people buy shoes, I buy different kinds of pasta.

Wheat is not junk food for me, however. It has a lot of protein and the whole grain has a lot of fiber also. Ditto for wheat bread, white or whole grain. I only like really sturdy white bread, though, such as French or Italian. White bread does have a good amount of soluble fiber, which can be helpful if you have sensitive innards. Otherwise, I prefer whole grain pitas and sliced bread. Dave's Killer 21 Grain bread is my pricey favorite.

Spelt pasta and kamut pasta are older varieties of wheat - both very tasty, but different from the taste of modern wheat. I used to make bread from either spelt or kamut flour for variety. Einkorn pasta is also available- another ancient form of wheat.

Some people with wheat intolerances or allergies don't have the same problem with the older varieties. But wheat problems may actually be due to pesticide residues for very sensitive people - some people find European wheat tolerable when US wheat is not. Pesticides are heavily used throughout the growing cycle for our wheat. Europeans seem to use less or just different ones. A way around it is to look for organically grown wheat products.

Pastas are handy for me because I like to have them in cold salads. I like the bean-based ones for the convenience. No need to open a can of beans and then package up the remainder for the freezer...

I don't go for soybean-based pasta because it just isn't the tastiest bean around to me. Maybe the ones based on the green soybean (edamame) would be better, since I do like roasted edamame.

My favorite is not bean-based, though: Orgran's 80% buckwheat/20% rice pasta although it's pricey. Got it from Amazon. Good brown rice pastas are made by Lundberg and by Tinkyada. Just rice and rice bran, but hold together well and are quite tasty.

Thrive Market online has done nice sales on non-wheat pasta and has a variety of brands, so I stock up during those. Cybele has some nice legume/veg based pastas, for example. Really different veg added so interesting colors. Likewise for the Tolerant brand.

Ancient Harvest pasta is now in my local grocery store and it has always been good. They blend things like corn, rice, quinoa. Try anything with amaranth in it - it tastes so good. When I baked wheat bread, sometimes I substituted 1 cup of amaranth flour for 1 cup of wheat flour. The result was fantastic.

Good corn pastas include Mrs. Leeper's and DeBole's. I think amazon has those. BiAGlut has a very nice corn/lupine (a legume)/potato blend. Found it at The Gluten-Free Mall. It's from Italy, which is a source of many tasty gluten-free pastas because celiac disease has been a growing problem there.
  • jwoolman5
    jwoolman5 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've never noticed non-wheat pastas being different from wheat pastas regarding calories. They are all about 200 calories for the recommended serving size of 56 grams (2 ounces). That's a lot of pasta, especially since I'm adding a lot of veg. Sometimes I eat less.

The non-wheat pastas can be lower than wheat pastas in protein and (when compared with whole wheat pasta) fiber. The bean-based ones are typically much higher in protein and fiber.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    it would be a sad day is pasta was really poisonous...i eat it probably at least 3-4 times a week, if not daily - mosut of the time 2(ish) servings (as it fits my cals)

You're already ded. 😋

With my intake of fruit and vegetable intake... some "free" kale wouldn't do much.... I mean... well....

https://youtu.be/WCSiFIHtpGM
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Pasta, Rice..ect are fine foods. I don't eat regular pasta because of Celiac disease but for 99% of folks there's nothing wrong with eating an appropriate sized portion for your carb for that meal. Granted, the nutrient profile OP mentions is superior to regular pasta so it's a way to up your game if you like the way it tastes.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Tonight’s dinner - 2 servings pasta (right now I’m using veggie plus but it varies); 7oz shrimp with an avocado sauce and a sprinkle of cheese
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow night I'm trying an ATK version of Pasta Bolognese from their "Cook it in Your Dutch Oven" cookbook, which I am test-driving from the library. I've made the JOC version a few times and was not wowed by it; fingers crossed that I will like this version.

I'm using Whole Foods organic fettuccine.

I'm amused that the recipe is called "Weeknight Pasta Bolognese" and the total time is listed as 90 minutes, which means closer to 2 hours, and who has time for that on a work night?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    90 minutes to make spaghetti bolognaise??

from pre-made store pasta?? or do you make your own pasta as part of the recipe? ( i admit I have no idea how long that would take as have never made my own pasta)

But I can make home made spaghetti bolognaise in 2o minutes (which really is 20 minutes ;) )
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Tomorrow night I'm trying an ATK version of Pasta Bolognese from their "Cook it in Your Dutch Oven" cookbook, which I am test-driving from the library. I've made the JOC version a few times and was not wowed by it; fingers crossed that I will like this version.

I'm using Whole Foods organic fettuccine.

I'm amused that the recipe is called "Weeknight Pasta Bolognese" and the total time is listed as 90 minutes, which means closer to 2 hours, and who has time for that on a work night?

I love ATK, but their idea of a reasonable amount of time and effort for most people to put into a dish is...skewed just a bit. I hope the Bolognese is worth the effort, though!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    90 minutes to make spaghetti bolognaise??

from pre-made store pasta?? or do you make your own pasta as part of the recipe? ( i admit I have no idea how long that would take as have never made my own pasta)

But I can make home made spaghetti bolognaise in 2o minutes (which really is 20 minutes ;) )

I make this recipe at least once a year and yeah, it involves an hour and a half of simmering. It's definitely worth it and it's not especially fiddly. That said, I would never consider it a "weekday" recipe, unless perhaps I was retired. Then again, I'm also more than willing to make a goulash recipe that involves simmering said goulash for three hours. Best goulash I've had outside of Central Europe or Austria (which I realize is sometimes considered part of Central Europe).
  • haleyj089
    haleyj089 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I bought this also! I also bought the edamame pasta and the chickpea penne - I love pasta and I don’t dispute whether it is healthy or not but this is just a different and fun way to change up different recipes!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    it would be a sad day is pasta was really poisonous...i eat it probably at least 3-4 times a week, if not daily - mosut of the time 2(ish) servings (as it fits my cals)

You're already ded. 😋

With my intake of fruit and vegetable intake... some "free" kale wouldn't do much.... I mean... well....

https://youtu.be/WCSiFIHtpGM
    I don't care how "free" it is!

3d4c908d1301ed99859f028a4d5fd4e5.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Kale is rough tasting, but just add bacon. Bacon makes everything better. Opps i might have "triggered" a vegan...😳
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Kale is good in some things. I've had some tasty kale salads. It's okay in an omelet, but you can't use as much as you can spinach or chard, and it's just as good as spinach in a smoothie. I don't think I've used it with pasta yet, however, whether that pasta be soybean flour or semolina.

I have had the kale noodles at a poke place and they were good, but sadly about the same cals as noodles in general.
  • lemurcat2
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I love kale in bean-based soups and stews -- forgot to mention that. For some reason I never use pasta (other than orzo) or other types of noodles in soup (even though I enjoy a chicken noodle if someone else makes it).
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    I make a kale salad that involves kneading/“massaging” the kale in dressing and then letting it marinate at least overnight, which softens the kale a lot. I also make roasted kale chips with different seasonings.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    I make a kale salad that involves kneading/“massaging” the kale in dressing and then letting it marinate at least overnight, which softens the kale a lot.

Yeah, this works, or else--depending on the type of salad--doing a quick blanch.

I'm going to a gathering of friends (connected through a mutual friend) for dinner tonight, and one of the people coming normally brings a massaged kale salad that's really good. I hope she brings it again.