Options
    Viv UK - Prayers said.

Okie
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,617 Member
    Options
    Good Sunday!

Viv-prayers for your sister and mum.

Machka- I can't even imagine riding a bike that long! I can't drive a car that long. WOW! I agree with Ketonekaren!

Ladies, I have read up to date even if I haven't commented individually. Congratulations to the losses! Prayers for those in need! Hugs for all!

I am off to get my to do list done so that I can start this week on a high note.

Have a blessed day!
    <3
    Kylia in Ohio where it is cold!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.
    It's a little chilly here in SFL - I awakened to 50 degrees. Now, do not laugh - it was almost 80 yesterday and a 30-degree drop is certainly felt around these parts.

I have been messing around this month and the scale is showing it. I can hear Pip saying it's time to get the boot out. Not sure why I am flip/flopping but am determined to get back on track. Scale is still moving downward which is a plus, but I am not keeping up with my younger self.

This week is going to be a crazy one. I think I mentioned we are going through a system conversion and there will be many from corporate shadowing us to see how we do our jobs. For those of you who are experienced with system changes what they are doing is basically requirements gathering. Our last go-live date was in the recent past (it was the 4th) and we still have not gone live. The project has been run completely backwards and is a wonderful study on what not to do. I have two full days of going through our processes and will be locked down in a conference room with the big guns. Since I am taking Friday off it will not leave me a lot of time to do the work that really needs to get done. I will be logging in today to try and get ahead of the curve.

Machka - Congrats on getting the paper done and with the ride. You are really dedicated holding the event for one rider. Nice run.
    Ginny - I have been finding many great recipes within MFP and also love experimenting with new spices and types of food. Enjoy the meeting!
    Michele - Not telling you to go to the doctor, but I would probably go to an ENT before an allergist. Unless, of course, you are convinced it's an allergy. If an allergy you will need to be prepared to get shots for 1-2 years to get rid of it.
    Heather - Would love to see some Burns' Night pictures. I am sure it was a lovely time.
    Barbara - It sounds like you have your work cut out for you today getting things put up and away.
    Terri - We all need a "couch" day every now and then. I love curling up under a blanket and watching TV or reading an afternoon away.
    Viv - Prayers for your mom and SIL. And, yes, living alone makes lifestyle changes much easier because temptations do not need to be brought in to the house. When I wasn't single I had dedicated areas in the pantry and refrigerator for my foods. It made it easier for me because I just looked at those areas. Meals were adjusted so all could enjoy (i.e. heavy sauces and such on the side).
    Marianne – Congrats on the weight loss! WTG!!
    Karen – Great news about your GD. Happy your partner is moving forward in her recovery from surgery.
    Kylia – Wow, you had a Saturday! Hopefully today is kinder to you.

General commentary on organics.
    I will preface and say I am very fortunate to have many shopping options very close to me. There are several grocery and big-box stores, little specialty shops, and Costco is less than 5 miles away. I am not a picky eater and like to try different vegetables and have no problem eating the same thing during the week as long as it isn't longer than 3 days in a row. Costco is now carrying quite a selection of organic and non-GMO’d foods and so are other stores and shops.
    Because of where I live and have many options I can shop organics when on sale and am finding it really isn't that much more expensive, if properly planned. I take advantage of BOGOs (buy one, get one), buy in bulk, and take advantage of the sales. If organic squash is on sale I buy double and prep and freeze portions. If I buy 2 pounds of organic spinach, I plan my meals around it (salad, soups, side dish, etc.) and then freeze the balance for smoothies.
    Do I eat conventional products - of course I do. I also try to keep up with recent studies and stay away from the "Dirty Dozen" https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/dirty-dozen.php#.WfzBNK2ZPfY as much as possible.
    There was a lot of talk about apples which are listed within the “Dirty Dozen” list. Some interesting facts and articles.
    Excerpts from Forbes article (link below).
    According to the USDA, in addition to the 81 percent of conventional apple orchards which spray organophosphates on apple orchards, carbamates and pyrethroids are also used nation wide (on 35% and 29% of fields, respectively). Chlorpyrifos, a chemical linked to lowered IQ and higher incidence of ADHD in children is also still sprayed on 59 percent of apple orchards in the U.S., endangering the general public and those children living in rural areas.
    According to the Environmental Working Group's analysis of USDA data, pesticides showed up on 98 percent of the more than 700 apple samples tested (yes, they were washed). And it wasn't just one pesticide either - apples from around the country, domestically grown and imported, were found to have up to 48 different kinds of pesticides on them. While less than the 69 types used on cucumbers, that's still far more than the single pesticide found in sweet corn (shucked) or the 15 on oranges (peeled).
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/bethhoffman/2012/04/23/five-reasons-to-eat-organic-apples-pesticides-healthy-communities-and-you/#2903e0c53743

https://www.ewg.org/foodnews/apples.php
    https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/health/natural-health/pesticides/index.htm
    https://www.ers.usda.gov/webdocs/publications/37038/6821_fts34701.pdf?v=41056

It is my hope that one day with enough of us pushing for organic/non-GMO’d foods it will become the norm and will be more accessible and affordable for all.

Well, time is running away from me, once again, and I really need to get moving. Lots to do and prep for the week.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Viv Sometimes if I have a long wait in line I will practice balancing on one foot and then the other. If anyone is unsteady on their feet I wouldn't recommend doing this. I do it to work on my core and my balance. Having good core and balance is what can prevent falls. If you are unsteady I would work on building up your core, first. Just sitting and working on tightening your muscles in your abs and tryng to pull your belly button towards your back works your core. I use this example because there are many ways you can build your core without sit ups.

:heart: Margaret
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,789 Member
    Options
    well I am up and dressed, 2 loads in the dryer.. as soon as they are done. will be out running errands.. today is the only day I can get things done..
    will see how next week goes.. spoke with Zina last night , so she will probably be there tuesday and weds. but will assist monday for her..
    I have decided not to persue the receptionist job at the nursing home, its the residents I love, and with the second generation running it now, its all about money for them..
    Both Trudy and I are of the same thought that as we are in the twilight work years we want to work at something we enjoy.. so will keep on the look out.. right now I am ok at the dentist.. but we shall see..watching the food network and cooking shows..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    Options
    Viv UK(((Hugs))) - Prayers added

• kymarai
    Options
    SuziQ- thank you for the information on foods. As for system changes, I feel you! My manufacturers keep trying to make changes in the spring. As a mower shop that is the worst time!

BeyondApril- welcome!

Margaret- l love the suggestions for core and balance! Doable anywhere!

So far, so good.....carpets shampooed, breakfast eaten, some decluttering done. Just taking a break. So I mixed plain yogurt half in half with the flavored. Both chobani Greek. Small steps (plus I need fruit)

Off to get more done

<3
    Kylia
  • kymarai
    Options
    Lisa- I feel you!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,677 Member
    Options
    pppppp
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I think of both you and your younger self as very fit and determined. I also know that riding your bike brings you joy along with fitness. :star:

Barbara: I loved hearing about your trip to Eugene. DH & I met there while in college. We’d still be there if his work there had not ended. He found a job in the Portland area and we moved north. :ohwell: Now we live by the river and love our home. :heart:

Viv UK: Sending prayers for both your sister and mum. I always am amazed at your mom’s long life. It bodes well for your own longevity. .:star:

Karen in VA: Sending good thoughts for your partner’s healing. :flowerforyou:

Lisa in AR: Congratulations on writing again! :heart:

Heather: I’m happy that you enjoyed Burns Night. Your DH and his friend look very festive in their red caps. :bigsmile:

We have a pretty morning. The river is high but well within its banks and it is not raining. DH is encouraging me to go out to the stable and ride. I’m thinking about it. I will likely call and ask whether this is a convenient day. I still seem to have less energy than I think I should have.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    Carol - great! the calorie and fiber count is good and that you like it is even better... I find a single tortilla as a good replacement for 2 pieces of bread if i'm craving a sandwich.

Katla - some times for me low energy just means I have to push myself out there and I get rejuvenated.

Lisa - glad you are writing for fun in addition to grants

Heather - Glad Burns night went so well, but honestly I think you have this entertaining thing down! Worry ahead and then it goes off with aplomb.

Kim in Northern California
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Michele - it all depends on what kind of rice you are trying to cook. I am cooking brown rice right now, 22 mins at high plus 5 mins before it's released. One cup rice to one cup water.
    If I remember, white basmati rice, which I haven't done in the IP, is 5 mins high pressure, plus 5 mins before releasing. Same proportions.
    There are lots of sites, like Amy and Jackie, pressurecookrecipes.com ,which will give you the info for your rice. Have you got the Instant Pot app?

My brown basmati rice came out perfectly. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,331 Member
    Options
    Kim - as you know, it's all in the planning and preparation. :D Once upon a time I did think of becoming a Party Planner as I seem to have a talent that way. It's all in the detail. As I was absolutely chaotic as a young person, I'm not sure how that happened. Perhaps it's overcompensation. I can visualise the sequence of events and what might go wrong very clearly. I think my mother was the same. I didn't realise this was unusual until fairly recently. I find it amazing how people can't see sequences and pitfalls. :o
    Hard work and exhausting being sociable, but it's worth it to make people happy. DH is very appreciative. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I called the stable and Arrow has a full schedule for today. I may go out just to visit for a little while. The friend I hope to ride with is iffy about whether she will be there or not. I hope she will be there and we can talk about riding together in the future.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon