Options

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 1, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Change your pace.

When you get bored with your routine, you are vulnerable to breaking it. Better to build in some variety than to go looking for it in a vulnerable moment.

You can change all sorts of things to keep life interesting. For example, if you walk at a fast pace when you're exercising, take a stroll instead and focus on your breath—breathe in for four paces and breathe out for four paces. If you normally take leisurely walks, pick up the pace. See if you can cover your usual distance in a shorter amount of time.

Action for the day: Change something today to make your regimen more interesting. Do a different exercise, try a new spice, have a picnic for lunch, or eat dinner for breakfast—whatever sounds fun to you.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    This is why I love Crossfit. Their motto is: Routine is the enemy and every day they have a different workout. Now, they have a set they rotate through but it's a big set. Plus different coaches make up their own routines all the time.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 2, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Give yourself a break.

Have you been hard on yourself lately? Do you criticize yourself at every misstep?

Negative self talk does not help you to change the behaviors you want to change. It is discouraging, and often leads to self destructive behavior. So, instead of telling yourself you are fat, for example, tell yourself you are making progress, or that you are capable of change, or that you are lovable.

Action for the day: Today, be nice to yourself. Talk kindly. Don't judge. Be encouraging. You may be surprised at how you respond to a break from the harshness.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 3, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Appreciate the little miracles.

Sometimes things go exactly right. You are in a hurry and all the traffic lights are green. You are making a recipe and you find that one, obscure ingredient in the back of your spice cabinet. You give someone a gift, and it turns out it's exactly what they wanted.

Life can be quite joyful when things go just right. From time to time, as sure as the sun comes up, things will go your way.

Action for the day: Focus on what goes right today and appreciate the small miracles around you.

• MacMadame
    Options
    In terms of not being so hard on yourself, I think it's related to not measuring yourself against perfection as well.

I was trying not to eat certain foods because in theory they were less than ideal. For example, I was trying not to buy those cottage cheese single serving packets with fruit on the side because the fruit had a lot of sugar. So I bought a tub of cottage cheese and figured I would bring my own fruit to add to it. Except I never did. Plus, some days I wouldn't even measure out cottage cheese into a single use container and instead I'd eat something junky. I also was trying not to eat so many protein bars because they are also high in sugar (and the ones with sugar alcohols make me gassy and taste bad).

I decided I was being too hard on myself and my demands on myself were unreasonable. Cottage cheese with pineapple and some added sugar is healthier and less calories than a protein bar which is healthier and less calories and more protein than a Snickers bar. So this weekend when I went grocery shopping and bought some of those Knudsen Cottage Cheese Doubles and some Athenos Greek Yogurts with Fruit and a bunch of protein bars and my calories have dropped by 200 a day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    MacMadame,
    Good for you and that is how we have to reason with ourselves because we can go overboard. And some of this pre-packaged stuff is very good and worth the money too. Let's face it we are in a fast paced enviroment these days and we have to take advantage of some of these conveiences.

No sure if you have ever heard of protien bars from health smart foods, but they are wonderful and only 95 to 115 calories. Just like a candy bar and just enough for chocolate fix too. I love them when TOM is in town..:-) See link below!

http://www.healthsmartfoods.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=20
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Those are the kind with sugar alcohols. I keep trying different ones, but I don't like the taste most of the time and then I get all farty. :laugh:

I will continue to try new bars but I think the only way I'm going to get the stats I want is to make my own. I have some new recipes to try but I just never get around to it.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 5, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Identify where your feelings are.

When trying to master emotional eating, it is useful to identify where in your body you are feeling a feeling. You can ask yourself: What am I feeling? Where do I feel it? In my stomach? In my chest? In my legs? Then, ask yourself: Does this feeling make me want to eat? If so, what food comes to mind?

This is a simple exercise aimed at helping you develop awareness about your emotions and your food thoughts.

Action for the day: Several times today, take a moment to check in with yourself. Try to sort out what you are feeling, where in your body you are feeling it, and what—if any—food thoughts you are having in response to your feelings.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Featured Article

Simple Things to Keep You on Track During the Holidays
    by Katie Jay, MSW, CTA-certified Wellness Coach
    Director, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery
    www.nawls.com

A few years ago, I read an article about the biology
    of weight regain, by Cynthia Buffington, Ph.D.
    Dr. Buffington reviewed the physical reasons why
    morbidly obese people who lose have a tough time
    keeping it off.

She cited factors such as:

**The way we metabolize fat.

**A decline in the number of calories we burn after
    losing.

**Increased hunger, driven by body chemistry.

**Psychological issues that change brain chemistry,
    such as depression and anxiety.

At first, when I read Dr. Buffington's article, I was
    tempted to think, "Permanent weight loss is hopeless.
    So much is working against me!"

But that is the victim mindset -- the obesity mindset.
    Victims (and I'm talking about myself here!)
    blame other people and situations for their problems,
    make excuses for their behavior, and complain rather
    than act.

I don't want to be a victim of my obesity anymore, so
    I have decided to work on becoming a victor instead.
    It's a decision we can make anytime, even if we have
    to make it again and again.

As victors, we can take actions to help us deal with
    the biological challenges Dr. Buffington reports.
    And most of us already know what they are:

1) Eat low glycemic foods, or to say it another way,
    avoid sugar and refined carbohydrates.

2) Avoid the extra calories that come with nibbling,
    having just a bite, adding a dollop, and so on. Every
    calorie counts.

3) Exercise. Exercise. Exercise. And make it fun.
    Find some creative way to increase your enjoyment
    of movement. And don't be a perfectionist. Some is
    better than none, and consistency is more important
    than intensity.

4) Deal with your brain chemistry. Depression, anxiety,
    and other "psychological" problems are a manifestation
    of your brain chemistry. You can improve your brain
    chemistry by taking the appropriate medication, and
    also by modifying your diet and avoiding certain foods.

5) Practice a stress-relieving activities, such as
    meditation, yoga, deep breathing, and stretching.

The reality is people who pay attention to these five
    things really do pretty well.

While we may not maintain the weight we think is ideal
    (based on what we weighed in college, or what we weighed
    when we married, or on what our sister weighs), we can
    achieve and maintain a healthy weight and enjoy freedom
    from morbid obesity.

The bottom line is: In the face of challenges, all we
    can do is our best. That is the victor mindset.

Your Assignment

Review the four things you can do to minimize your
    weight woes. In your journal, write down a goal that
    will help you improve in one of those areas. Be sure
    to track your progress toward that goal.
    Want to Reprint this Newsletter?

If you'd like to reprint any part of this newsletter,
    do so with the following credit, including the copyright
    line:

From Small Bites, the email newsletter for the
    National Association for Weight Loss Surgery.
    Subscribe today and get your F'REE report,
    How to Regain-proof Your Weight Loss
    Surgery at www.NAWLS.com.
    (c) 2010 National Association for Weight Loss Surgery,
    Inc. All rights reserved.

National Association for Weight Loss Surgery, 609A Piner Road, #319, Wilmington, NC 28409
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 6, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Have a plan for holiday gatherings.

Holiday eating can be a source of stress after surgery. But, you can still enjoy the holiday and much of the food. Just make a plan. Everyone has certain strategies that work for them. Keep in mind what works for you as you make your plan.

One strategy is to take a tablespoon (or smaller if you have a tiny pouch) of anything you want to taste. Use a small spoon, like the disposable plastic baby spoons you can get at the grocery store, and a small plate, too. Eat your food slowly and pause between bites, so that you get maximum satisfaction from the food.

Action for the day: Brainstorm and write down a list of strategies you will try this holiday season to keep you on track.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 7, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Mind your own business.

Just because you are in a relationship with someone—just because you love someone—doesn't mean you have to join with them in their unhealthy thinking and behavior. Nor are you responsible for their actions. It's not your job to fix them or solve the problems that arise as a result of their negative actions and feelings.

Your responsibility is to live your own life, not to obsess about someone else's problems. It's okay to take care of yourself even when those around you are struggling.

Action for the day: Today focus on your own business instead of someone else's. Give yourself the much-needed love and attention you deserve.

• MacMadame
    Options
    I needed to hear this. I get so frustrated with my husband and my family and their unhealthy eating!
  • KristieKRN
    KristieKRN Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi! Would love to get some feedback/support/motivation from others that have had WLS. I had sleeve surgery October 27th. so I'm about 6 weeks post-op. Have hit a plateau as I reintroduce foods... am seriously considering going back to the liquid diet. I downloaded the MFP app about a month ago so I could start tracking my intake better. Hoping this helps.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome Kris,
    Make sure you stick with your program closely. Regarding your plauteau, are you exercising yet?

MacMadame,
    I hear you. I need this also. I get so mad with my Mom. She has cancer and she still eats poorly. I don't get it and I do. I have given up with my sisters help and this inspiration tells me it was good of me to move on because we can not make our families jump on board with us.

Have a good weekend!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 8, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Live in the gray area.

Are you plagued by an "all or nothing" attitude? Do you find it hard to make healthy choices when you have made one tiny misstep?

It's time to get comfortable with the gray areas in life. It's time to allow yourself progress, even if you are not perfect. It is better to move forward three steps and back one than it is not to move forward at all.

Action for the day: Be gentle with yourself today and allow yourself to make imperfect progress.

• KristieKRN
    KristieKRN Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Mollie - no, I wasn't exercising... did start this morning though. Walked on the treadmill for 30 mins and included a couple of 2 to 3 minute runs in there. Am excited that I wanted to run and actually managed for more than a short burst. Yay! I'm thinking I may do it again tomorrow or will do the balance ball tomorrow. Need to work on my core again, now that I've been losing the weight I am carrying myself differently and my back hurts often.

Have a great weekend!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Mollie - no, I wasn't exercising... did start this morning though. Walked on the treadmill for 30 mins and included a couple of 2 to 3 minute runs in there. Am excited that I wanted to run and actually managed for more than a short burst. Yay! I'm thinking I may do it again tomorrow or will do the balance ball tomorrow. Need to work on my core again, now that I've been losing the weight I am carrying myself differently and my back hurts often.

Have a great weekend!

Kris,
    Good for you! I promise you if you keep up the exercise you will break your stall as long as your eating is in order also. I know what you mean about posture. You may want to try walking around the house with a book on you head to develop correct posture. It will be hard at 1st but keep practicing. Our bodies are so use to the weight so we automatically slump. Let me know how it works.

Try to work up to exercising at least 30 min a day 5 or more times a week. When you have that down pat, keep increasing your time up to and beyond 60 min a day. Exercise will be the key to maintenance and reaching your goal. Our bodies are maravelous and you have to keep challenging it and mixing up things so hopefully you will not have these stalls. K.I.T.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Your Scale and You

Unlike other plans that recommend weighing in weekly or less often, we advise you to weigh yourself daily.

"Daily?" you ask. Yes! Studies show that people who weigh themselves daily are more successful at long-term weight loss than those who weigh themselves weekly. Experts speculate that frequent weigh-ins remind you of your goals and help keep you motivated. At the Duke Diet & Fitness Center (DFC), we feel that an essential part of this daily weighing strategy is tracking your weight on a graph. A graph helps you to see the big picture: Rather than focusing on one day's number, you're looking at trends over several days, weeks, or months. There's nothing more motivating than seeing that line move downward over time!

We also like graphs because they can help you to become accustomed to the fact that the number on the scale does fluctuate each day. The line won't always move downward, and that's okay. Weight normally varies from day to day, based on factors like how much water your body is retaining, among others. We find that seeing these normal fluctuations on a graph keeps our clients at the DFC from getting discouraged by them — they look past the little ups and downs and focus on the larger trends.

Another advantage to graphing with daily weigh-ins is that it helps you self-monitor more effectively. If you see your weight beginning to trend in the wrong direction, you can take steps to nip that trend in the bud.

Of course, weighing in daily isn't right for everyone. If you've ever had an eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia or if you find it extremely upsetting to get on the scale, you should talk to your doctor or mental health–care provider. Otherwise, give it a try and see how it works for you!

If daily weighing is a good strategy for you, we encourage you to keep it up — even after you meet your weight goals. Research has shown that people who've lost weight and continue to weigh themselves regularly afterward are better able to keep the weight off. So plan to make your friendship with your scale a lifelong one. Doing so will greatly increase your chances of both short-term and lifelong success.

Based on the world-renowned Duke Diet & Fitness Center Residential Program in Durham, North Carolina, Duke Diet & Fitness Online applies the same proven approach to weight loss: diet, fitness, behavioral strategies, and medical expertise.

Visit EverydayHealth.com for Expert Advice on:
    Allergies | Breast Cancer | Depression | Diabetes | Diet & Nutrition | Family Health | Headache & Migraine | Heart Disease | Hypertension | Pain Management | Senior Health | Weight Management | Women's Health | and more!

Copyright © 2010 Everyday Health, Inc.
    Use of this site is subject to our terms of service and privacy policy. All material provided on this website is provided for informational or educational purposes only. Consult a physician regarding the applicability of any opinions or recommendations with respect to your symptoms or medical condition.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Track Successes, Not Failures from Shrink yourself thin web site

Track your successes, not your failures. Most people that are trying to eat well and adopt a practice of regular exercise are very quick to point out their failings. They often report ending their day with a mental record of the things they shouldn't have eaten and the exercise they could've done but didn't. This doesn't lead to success. In fact, it usually just leads to feeling of failure and defeat. If this doesn't work, what does? While it's important to be aware of your weak spots, it doesn't help you to keep track of them. What is far more beneficial is finding the places where you succeeded and then building on those successes.

For example, it's great to develop an awareness that you're more likely to exercise if you make a date to meet someone at the gym. That's something you can build on. You can then make a standing date to meet a friend to exercise instead of attempting to go alone. It's great to develop an awareness that when you avoid television at night, you also avoid binges. That's something you can build on. You can incorporate more nighttime activities that don't include TV (and subsequently don't include binges). It's great to develop an awareness that you eat better when the kitchen is clean and you aren't overwhelmed with chores. That's something you can build on. By staying on top of chores and responsibilities you'll find yourself eating less.

What success (small or big) did you have today and how can you build on it tomorrow?

"SUCCESS IS A LIFESTYLE, NOT A DIET"
    Please visit my OH Support group:
    www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for December 9, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Redefine exercise.

Do you balk when you hear the word exercise?

You don't have to "exercise" if you hate exercise. You can mow the lawn, do home improvement projects, walk the dog, make pottery, or even play twister with your kids. Some people carry in their own groceries and weed their own gardens. Some people dance in the living room when no one else is home. Do whatever works for you, but don't pass up this great tool.

Action for the day: Do something to move your body today. Be as creative as you need to be to make it interesting and palatable.