WLS support and inspirational information

Options
Hello all,

I am going to start this thread on this site for WLS patients. It is just as hard work for ones who had WLS to maintain their weight loss and this site is very helpful in this regard.

I will try to post here daily something to inspire WLS patients to continue their journies successfully. Most information found in this thread can apply to anyone trying to lose weight or live a healthy lifestyle.

May all of us continue to support one another and may your efforts be blessed.

Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for July 20, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Do your work.

Sometimes people who have WLS are disappointed when they realize that to have a lasting recovery, they will have to work at it. Work, for them, has purely negative connotations. But, if you are doing what you love, work becomes worthwhile, even enjoyable. But how do you learn to love the work required of WLS patients?

Understand the long-term benefits of the work you are doing. Will having more energy (because you've taken your vitamins) give you the "oomph" you need to take on that extra project that gets you a raise? Does a fit and healthy body make you more confident finding a mate? WLS patients must accept that life is work for everyone. You are not exempt, but your attitude will make all the difference.

Action for the day: Today, in your journal, make a list of some of the reasons you want to have lasting success with WLS.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • jeanineadele
    jeanineadele Posts: 114
    Options
    So true!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Let's have a roll call. How many people on this site have had WLS?

:drinker: Me! (Those are protein drinks, of course.)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Let's have a roll call. How many people on this site have had WLS?

:drinker: Me! (Those are protein drinks, of course.)

Hello, I could not figure any other way to reach out to WLSers.....lol! Then it done on me they have all these clubs on this site, so I am going to start a WLS CLUB and see how it goes.
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! Lap Band on June 23, 2008!

Too bad this site doesn't have Communities. I could see a feature like that being used all the time: WLS community, P90X community, Runners, Moms, etc.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I had RNY in 2004. I wish I had time to devote to it like some of the other clubs, but it is everyones thread. I tried keeping up with the over 300 pounds club and I just don't have enough hours in my day. But I can post something here daily to help us meditate on or give us food for thought. Keep checking it daily or every other day. When I am busy at work my time is limited.

LOL! Have to put the job 1st!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 21, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Avoid Avoidance.

It's common for people to avoid things they think will be unpleasant. But what is the cost? You want to quit your job, but you're afraid to tell your boss. So, you stay at a job that makes you unhappy. Every time you think about telling him or her, you feel anxious. And in between feeling trapped on the job and anxious, you feel miserable. That level of anxiety and stress is a set up for making poor food choices.

When you take care of something unpleasant immediately, you spare yourself a lot of hardship. The pain is short-lived, and you can get on with your life.

Action for the day: Have you been avoiding something you need to do? Take care of it today. Free yourself from the anxiety and dread.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Wow, is someone reading my mind? I really, really need to get a new job. I am miserable where I am. But I am avoiding putting my resume out there. The idea of going on interviews and selling myself just doesn't appeal and then I start with the "what-ifs". What if the new place is too far away from my tri club's workouts? What if they don't allow me to be as flexible with my hours as my current place (which is pretty good about that)? What if the new people don't like me?

I have a motto - do one thing that scares you every day. I think today I'll update my resume.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Wow, is someone reading my mind? I really, really need to get a new job. I am miserable where I am. But I am avoiding putting my resume out there. The idea of going on interviews and selling myself just doesn't appeal and then I start with the "what-ifs". What if the new place is too far away from my tri club's workouts? What if they don't allow me to be as flexible with my hours as my current place (which is pretty good about that)? What if the new people don't like me?

I have a motto - do one thing that scares you every day. I think today I'll update my resume.

Good for you!! You will never know until you try. And not trying means no growth. Even if you have to try more than one time. And now you should really be confident in going on interviews with your wonderful new you!! Before RNY I changed from a job I had been on 13 years (11 of those years I was supervisor). I had all the same fears you had above and I had to make a move and even though I did not stay at the next company but 2 years, it gave me the push and confindence I needed to move from the next job sooner with more confidence.

I been at present company now since 2002. And I would do the same thing all over again because it was worth it. And I weighed over 500 pounds then and my bosses took it for granted that I would never leave. But I showed them and I know you can do the same! Good luck on resume and finding a new job. You can do it!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Slow and Steady Wins

"We didn’t gain weight overnight and we won’t lose it that way either. How many times have we went on some fad diet, lost weight rapidly only to regain it plus a few bonus pounds in the process of our way back up the scale.

Slow and steady wins the race. It is true. The tragedy is that most people never even get in the race. Many of those that do hope that success comes easily and rapidly. When it doesn’t, they drop out of the race, give up and throw in the towel, before it really begins. What they don’t realize is that the decision to be unstoppable is never made just once. It is a choice every single day, made sometimes multiple times throughout the day by the choices we make. Do we exercise, do we eat this or that? It is all a choice that moves us forward, stay the same or backwards in our quest for weight loss.

Whether you’ve had weight loss surgery or losing weight on your own or a diet program, setbacks are inevitable. In fact, they are proof that we are doing something. Sometimes the greatest lessons come from a challenge. Those lessons in doing something different in our healthy lifestyle path takes us one step closer to achieving our weight loss goals and maintenance. When we focus on learning a lesson from a slip up or setback, and stay the course, reaching our weight loss goal will happen.

It is important to remind ourselves that failure is an incident or event, not a person. Just because you slipped up once in a day, the entire day, week, etc., YOU are NOT a failure. If you don’t achieve your weight loss anticipated in a certain period of time, does that make you a failure? If you make an unhealthy choice in eating or skip exercise, does that make you a failure. Of course not….Absolutely not!

Failure does not characterize who you are. It is simply an incident that happens in your life at times. When you continue to move forward, despite difficult experiences, you have already won.

If a setback comes your way, find the gift in the setback by asking yourself:

1. What can I learn from what happened?
    2. What am I grateful for from the experience?
    3. What are the potential benefits from this experience?
    4. What is the best way for me to move forward?

Commit to find the gift in any setback. Tell yourself that you will never, never, never quit. If you don’t give up, you cannot fail. Not only will you achieve your weight loss goals, but the combination of your commitment, courage, and belief in yourself will rise as the greatest victory of all. Never, ever quit. Success is in consistency and persistence. Success is in each one of us. "
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Try again.

Just because temptation sometimes wins does not mean that all is lost; it does not mean that you have failed or that you will be a failure. Everyone, even the most successful person, has days of imperfection.

Do not let a little wandering negate the great success you have had, and will have again. Forgive yourself for being human and move on. At anytime you can change, even in the middle of a day of grazing, you can get back on track.

Action for the day: If you are off track today, take one step toward your goal--even if it's only a small one.

© 2010, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved.
    Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 22, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Do something differently.

Some unknowledgeable surgeons have actually told their patients they are cured, but WLS patients come to understand that's not true. In fact, it is very common for patients to regain some of their weight. A small weight regain may be normal, but bigger gains point to a need for more support, new information -- or old information looked at in a new way, education about all of the causes for regain, effort, determination, and an open mind.

The bottom line for most is that if you don't change what you've always done, you're going to keep getting what you've always gotten--even after weight loss surgery.

Action for the day: Begin establishing a new habit that is positive today. Do SOMETHING differently.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 23, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Play.

The older you get, the more important it is for you to not act your age. As you melt, you feel lighter than you have in years. Your body moves easily and you may realize you have the urge to play, to frolic. Give in. When your children beg you to come outside and play with them--do it. You can joyously jump into the pile of leaves you've raked. You can unashamedly make a snow angel and get up without help.

Rejoicing in your newfound youth, you reawaken your inner child. This awakening releases your soul and lets it soar. You are limited only by yourself and your inhibitions. Now is your time to play like you haven't in a long, long time.

Action for the day: You guessed it. Play.

• MacMadame
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe I should go indoor skydiving after all...
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hmm. Maybe I should go indoor skydiving after all...

LOL!! :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 24, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Don't keep it a secret.

You have been given a great gift with WLS--the opportunity to be free of obesity. Even though the WLS lifestyle can require a lot of effort, most WLS patients would not trade their opportunity for anything. WLS is a hopeful process, with many rewards.

In addition to keeping an attitude of gratitude, be sure to pass along your discovery. Be the light in someone's life who needs the kind of hope you now have.

Action for the day: How can you pass along an opportunity for a better life to someone else in need? Meditate on that today, and come up with an action you can take.

• MacMadame
    Options
    Now that's a controversial piece of advice. :laugh:

I told everybody. I want people to see that WLS works. But I'm not very good at keeping secrets and I'm not a very private person. I can see other people thinking it's just not anyone else's business.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Yes I know this is a touchy subject and it reminded me that we had just had this decussion ealier in the week! Yeap touchy indeed, but I do feel it helps others at least consider it when someone they know has had it and been a success too!

I met at guy at OA the other night and he said that everyone he knows who has had WLS has gained all or most of their weight back. I said OK well now you know me and I have not gained almost all of my weight back. Then I showed him my before picture that I have posted on this site and he agreed. I did not want to push and we left it there. He will have bring it up again because I do not like to push it. PPL have to want it themselves and inquire because then they will say you think it works for everyone and I know this is not the case. But it does work if you work it.

Yes I have gained back some of my weight but normal people gain weight. well I know I am not normal and will always have to watch what I put into my mouth. Yes to tell or not to tell, My experience has been PPL always find out anyways. Look at Starr Jones.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration
    Katie Jay,MSW

Learn the difference between snacking and grazing.

Snacking and grazing are not the same thing. Snacking has a healthy purpose. You snack because you need a short supply of energy for your body. A snack is planned, including the quality of the food you eat, the quantity, and the time of day. Grazing has no purpose other than to manage emotions or soothe your boredom.

An honest self-assessment should help you determine whether you are snacking or grazing, but if you're not sure ask your nutritionist. Most WLS patients struggle with the urge to graze from time to time, or even most of the time. You can learn strategies to curb grazing, including determining what, if any, planned snack you may need to include in your eating plan. If you are struggling, don't keep it a secret. Ask someone you trust to help you develop the strategies that will work for you.

Action for the day: Start a food diary today and keep it for three days. Write down what you ate, the time and quantity, and what you were feeling when you ate. Bring this with you the next time you see your nutritionist, and start to explore solutions to your grazing problem.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Daily Inspiration

Automate your life.

WLS and the self care it demands are but one facet of your life. Your self care can be looked at like breathing--something that is necessary to your life, but that you do without thinking, automatically. You don't stop breathing while you work, yet you don't take time to think about breathing either: Expand diaphragm, take in air, relax diaphragm, let air out, repeat.

The same principle can apply to your WLS lifestyle. Make it as automatic as possible. If you are fearful of forgetting the time and missing your meal or protein, use a timer or alarm of some kind. That leaves your brain free to do other things. Keep your water bottle in view and you will reach for it more often. Small adjustments can help incorporate your self care into your life. WLS is a part of your life, not your whole life.

Action for the day: Are there strategies you can apply to make living with WLS more automatic? Take some time today to make your WLS lifestyle easier to manage.

© 2010, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved.

Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery.