WLS support and inspirational information

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, Molly, about many people here downing us WLS people. Often, it has turned me off of reading the posts. I just go back to my old faithful, and I see why I stay there. I have much more support there.
    Welcome!

I hope we can start to have some discussions in this thread ... so the more, the merrier!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    http://baribits.blogspot.com/

Forgotten Past

The brightest future will always be based on a FORGOTTEN past, and you can’t go on well in life until you let go of your past failures and heartaches!

Seize the day as a weight loss patient and live in the NOW. Try not to revert to old habits or that “stinking thinking” we all did in the past. Appreciate what you have today and the gift you have been given.

Celebrate by doing something you didn’t do in the past because the excess weight you carried around for years. Ride a bike, go for a walk, take a swim, work in the garden, and learn to play tennis or join a volleyball team.

Just enjoy the new you!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for September 22, 2010 Katie Jay, MSW

Forgive yourself.

You've had a tough road. Being obese was miserable. And you probably felt you were to blame, and that you should have been able to lose the weight and keep it off on your own. Maybe you understand the truth now: Obesity is a disease with many contributing factors. It is not a sign of a weak will. It is by far one of the most challenging and devastating diseases with which to deal.

Forgive yourself for your imperfections, and encourage yourself as you embrace your new lifestyle. WLS is not a cure for obesity, but it is a great opportunity. You'll be able to take much better advantage of it if you are not beating yourself up all the time.

Action for the day: In your journal, write a letter of forgiveness to yourself. Tell yourself you understand how hard it's been, and that you are ready to finally forgive and move on.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at . www.nawls.com
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Hey, Mollie, where've you been?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hi MacMadame,

I have been swamped at work so I have not had a chance to update this site. It is the end of the month now and I am busy for sure. I meant to catch up this weekend and still very busy. How are you?
  • MacMadame
    Options
    It's okay if you don't update this thread, but I wanted to make sure you were doing okay. I've been swamped too and it's cut into my internet time. Some people would say that's a good thing. :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Thanks for checking on me. I will be updating this thread very soon! Have a good week!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for September 30, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Minimize damage.

Because you aren't perfect, there may be a time when you want to eat more than you need. Before you take an extra bite, try to distract yourself. Get busy and put off eating.

But, when you do eat--especially if you are overeating--pick foods that will satisfy you without adding a lot of calories. (For example, try celery sticks versus crackers, chicken or shrimp versus pepperoni.)

Action for the day: Write down a plan of action for the days when you are tempted to overeat. By developing a list of healthy foods that satisfy you, you can minimize the damage of eating more than you need. And if you are consistently overeating, seek help from a professional.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Here are a few lines from an article by Connie Stapleton, Phd

Make a chart of the essentials for success. Complete it daily and reward yourself (not with food) each day that you complete every goal.

Take your calendar and mark off time each day for the essentials.

Develop the mantra; "It's What I Do"
    When you don't feel like exercising remind yourself: "It's What I Do"... then do it!
    When you don't want to pass up dessert, remind yourself: "It's What I Do"... then pass it up!
    When you feel too tired to write in your food and exercise journals, remind yourself: "It's What I Do"... then do it!

Think like a thin person.
    Remind yourself: "If I want long-term success, I make the time."
    There are no "good excuses" for not taking time to choose healthy behaviors.

Be a friend yourself.
    The time you take to do the essentials for long-term success leads to your health and happiness.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I just got my labwork back from my 2 year check-up. My B12, which was fine before, has gone up. My protein which was low to start has gotten lower again! :sad: I just don't know what is going on with that.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I just got my labwork back from my 2 year check-up. My B12, which was fine before, has gone up. My protein which was low to start has gotten lower again! :sad: I just don't know what is going on with that.

I am sorry I am just reading this. I thought it was good for B12 to up. Sorry about this. Just be glad you went back for blood work. Many do not. What did they recommend for you?

I go for blood work with my primary phyican and my surgeon. My surgeon's office told me my vitiamin D was low and I did not start taking it regularly until recently and I swear it does make a difference. I will go and December for another blood work to check on this.

Keep me posted
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Yes, my B12 is good. So is my Vitamin D and a bunch of other things. I'm just crying over the protein. I am consuming gobs of protein and yet my serum protein is low. It's very frustrating as I don't know what else to do besides eat a lot of protein.

My surgeon recommends yearly blood work but for my surgery, if your levels are fine at the 2nd year check-up, then he says I don't have to get the full set every year any more. I don't know what he'll say about my protein. My iron has also been trending down so I wonder if there is a relationship there.

I think at this point, I can probably drop back from getting the 17 vials of blood labwork to just getting the basics that lots of people go low in just in case my diet changes and I go low without realizing it.
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 10-07-10

I'm on liquids at the moment while the swelling goes down from surgery.

So far so good!

I wanted to say hi and "bookmark" this post :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I had lap band surgery 10-07-10

I'm on liquids at the moment while the swelling goes down from surgery.

So far so good!

I wanted to say hi and "bookmark" this post :)

Welcome! Congrats on LB!!! Much Success! At times when I am busy at work and life I will not have as much time to post. But there is myself and MacMadame who check this board regularly. So if you have some questions or would just like to vent please do so.
  • PuppyBandit
    Options
    Will do! Thanks a lot :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    THOUGHT I AM POSTING FROM is from -- Overeaters Anoymous Today

When much is expected of an individual, he may rise to the level of events and make the dream come true.

The best person to expect anything from is myself. Yet the very thought of excelling makes me shrink back and say, “I can’t.” I have experienced the joy of jumping in without self-consciousness and rising to my own and others’ expectations. What keeps me from attaining my full potential most of the time is the negativity of self-obsession. When my attention is constantly focused on myself and my performance, I am strangely hobbled. Getting out of my own way give me the freedom to rise to the highest level of which I am capable.

For Today: Step 3 is the compulsive overeater’s prescription for making the dream come true. I turn everything over to God as I understand God, and take the plunge.

……..from For Today, Oct. 6
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 15, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Change your course--even if just by one degree.

When a pilot is off course, he or she can make a tiny correction and set the plane on a new course. You can do that with your life. If you are headed somewhere you don't want to go, change course.

The great thing is you only have to make a small change to impact your life significantly. A one-degree turn will take you to a totally different place.

Action for the day: Make a small, permanent change today that helps you to move in a healthier direction.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for October 12, 2010

Learn to tolerate being uncomfortable.

Just for today, don't do one thing you really want to do -- or -- do one thing you really don't want to do. Practice being uncomfortable. Sit with feelings that you otherwise might try to avoid by eating.

Many of the problems weight loss surgery patients run into stem from the inability to say "NO!" to themselves -- their unwillingness to sit with uncomfortable feelings.

Action for the day: Allow yourself to be uncomfortable today by saying "no" to yourself. Then, record your experience and feelings in your journal.

• MacMadame
    Options
    Many of the problems weight loss surgery patients run into stem from the inability to say "NO!" to themselves -- their unwillingness to sit with uncomfortable feelings.

This is SO TRUE and it drives me crazy sometimes. People convince themselves that the most destructive behavior is actually reasonable because somehow depriving yourself of anything at any time is BAD!

I try to follow the Eleanor Roosevelt prescription to "do one thing every day that scares you." I don't manage it every day (some days are just too boring!) but I have done a ton of things that scare me and it's been great. Nothing bad has happened and I've accomplished a lot that I didn't think I could do.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I totally agree MacMadame!!! I am still working on this. I don't like be uncomfortable. But I am getting used to sitting with being uncomfortable.