Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for August 30, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Declutter your life.

Everything has its place: books belong on bookshelves, not stacked up on your bedside table; plates and food belong in the kitchen, not on the coffee table; your work papers belong in your office, not strewn all over the living room.

Clutter can be a huge distraction and can undermine your serenity and your goals. It can inhibit your care after WLS. Instead, maintaining a sense of order in the house will help you maintain a sense of order in your life.

Action for the day: Today, go through your house and find 20 items to donate to charity. Ask a friend to help if you think this will be too hard to do alone.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 1, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Write your hurts in the sand--but your blessings in stone.

The way you handle the hurts you have been dealt speaks to your ability to forgive and move on. When you dwell on past hurts, you can stay in a victim mindset and look for more hurt. Constantly expecting the negative can cause you to hold back from situations that may in fact turn out wonderfully. Looking for hurt can make you blind to the good things in your life.

At those times when people say or do things that hurt you, try to write those memories in the sand--allow the passage of time to blow them away. Your blessings, on the other hand, should be carved in stone so that you can appreciate them during the times when you are feeling overwhelmed.

Action for the day: Make a list of all of the special things and people in your life that provide you with a firm anchor--your family, friends, faith, health, career. Whatever gives you strength, celebrate it.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Speaking of decluttering... anyone have success with Fly Lady?

http://www.flylady.net/

I tried it one point but didn't get a lot of traction.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 2, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Take the plunge--now.

There are people who put off getting married because they need more time to prepare or who agonize over whether to start a family because they are not quite ready. Some won't change jobs because they feel their skills are lacking.

Of course, once people take the plunge--whether by marrying, having a baby, or switching jobs--they discover that they were right! They weren't completely prepared. But with that knowledge comes the revelation that nobody is ever really ready. Relationships, families, careers all require constant effort, and you are always learning something new--both about yourself and others. Putting things off because you are waiting for the right time is self-defeating. Resign yourself to the fact that conditions will never be absolutely perfect. Just muster your courage and take that first step.

Action for the day: Today, take a step in the direction you feel drawn toward, even if you don't feel completely ready.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 3, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Practice relaxation techniques.

Living a healthy, happy WLS lifestyle takes effort--daily effort. But it doesn't have to be a constant uphill battle. Even if you occasionally slip, you won't be starting at the beginning. Viewing your life as a constant struggle will only accomplish one thing--you will convince yourself that only Superman could stay on track, and then, that lack of confidence will make your job much harder.

You are succeeding. You will continue to succeed by using your tools. One great tool is relaxation. Rather than obsessing over a task and making it seem bigger than it is, relax and lower your stress level. It will make your journey more pleasant without compromising your goals.

Action for the day: Try some relaxation techniques. You don't have to know how to meditate. Simply take five minutes to sit, close your eyes, breathe deeply, and try to clear your mind. Practice daily until it becomes second nature.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 7, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Use your bed wisely.

Of course, you know that a consistent good night's sleep gives you the energy you need to face the day refreshed and energetic. Turning your bedroom into a multi-purpose room can have a profound negative effect. Most sleep experts recommend that people refrain from watching television, reading, or eating while in bed. There are only two things for which a bed should be used, and if you go beyond that, one of those things--sleep--will suffer.

Whether you're watching TV, reading, or checking your Blackberry while in bed, there is something about lounging in it that is conducive to snacking. And because your mind is focused on the television or the printed word, you may find yourself snacking without really thinking about it. Make your bedroom a sanctuary away from food.

Action for the day: If there is a television in your bedroom, consider moving it out. And today, eat your meals in the kitchen or dining room.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 6, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Wherever you go, be there.

Buddhists practice a technique called "mindfulness," the idea that your attention should be focused on the present rather than on what is to come. Focusing can be easy enough to do if the current task is all-consuming. But what about when you are washing the dishes? Or ironing? Or eating? Sometimes, it's easy to let your mind wander.

True mindfulness demands that your full attention be placed on the activity at hand. That means that the only thing going through your mind at the dinner table is how nice the food smells and how the third bite doesn't taste as good as the first. Practicing mindfulness helps keep obsessive food thoughts at bay when you are not supposed to be eating, and creates more satisfaction when you are.

Action for the day: At meal times today, focus only on eating your meal. Focus on the colors, textures, and smells. If other thoughts try to barge in, refocus immediately on the activity at hand.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 5, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Take your time; Rome wasn't built in a day.

So, have you reached your goal weight yet? Are you well into your successful maintenance period? Of course, you've resolved all of your emotional issues and are now a phenomenally healthy model of happy, successful living, right? Well, don't despair; as they say, Rome wasn't built in a day. Nothing worth accomplishing can be achieved overnight. If it could, it wouldn't be much of an accomplishment, right?

Patience is a difficult virtue to cultivate, especially in this fast-paced society that extols overnight success. Even a year or more after your surgery, you may not be exactly where you want to be. But that's okay. Your life is not meant to be rushed. It's a slowly-unfolding story. Savor it and know that you are doing your best to make sure that the next chapter holds even more promise.

Action for the day: Reflect on all that you have accomplished so far, both the momentous and the "small." Meditate on what your next chapter will hold.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 4, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Read the writing on the wall.

Perhaps you're afraid of setting new boundaries with a friend or family member, who doesn't quite understand your WLS needs, for fear of angering them. So, you're avoiding the confrontation and hoping the problem goes away by itself. Meanwhile, you're inadvertently dismissing warning signs that things may well be coming to a head regardless.

Pay close attention to the clues around you if you want to head problems off at the pass. Pretending nothing is wrong won't alleviate your conflict. It will simply prevent you from reading the road signs ahead and may lead you to a crash.

Action for the day: If you have been putting off a discussion with a friend or family member for fear of angering them, make plans to have that discussion the next time you are together. Rehearse your discussion with a safe friend, if necessary.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 9, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Schedule fewer activities.

Do you find yourself practically living in your car--picking the oldest up at school and dropping him off at basketball practice, running back to school to pick up your middle child's homework, picking up the dry cleaning and the groceries, running the dog to the vet, and finishing with just enough time to do it all again tomorrow?

There's nothing wrong with scheduling a few activities that your kids enjoy. But there's something terribly wrong with having so many different activities that everyone burns out--especially you. So, if carving out time to take care of yourself means telling each child to pick just one outside activity, then so be it. They have a lifetime to try new activities. But they have only one shot at seeing the role model of a healthy, fulfilled parent.

Action for the day: Spend time today making a list of all of your family's activities and obligations. Then, sit down with them this evening and work on culling down that list. As hard as it is, you will all benefit from this activity.

• MacMadame
    Options
    We were just talking about this on my Ironman message board. It turns out most of us are working out 10-15 hours a week, not the 20-25 that many deem absolutely necessary. All my friends who just did an Ironman and were working out like that are all burned out now and rejoicing that they have their life back. I don't feel that way and I think I'm just as prepared for my first IM as they were.

Sometimes less is more. Also, it's about targeting what you do do so that it gives the maximum benefit. So instead of doing 10 things all kind of poorly and feeling completely stressed and burned out, it's better to do 5 things that you really, really want to do and that give you a lot of joy.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Fearless Living after Weight Loss Surgery
    Katie Jay

Business writer Robert Kiyosaki hated school. Not only did he hate it, he didn't do very well there. He recalls in his book for entrepreneurs, "Before You Quit Your Job," that he was angry when he received his first "F."

Do you like to fail?
    Kiyosaki hated to fail, too. And his failures were numerous. He also failed in his first business. But, he explains, he went on to succeed later, as a direct result of having failed previously.

What's that got to do with WLS?
    Failure. I haven't met an obese person yet, who hasn't felt like a failure in the weight loss arena. Sometimes we carry this feeling of failure into our lives after weight loss surgery. We are so afraid of failing yet again. And we compare ourselves to an extreme ideal of perfection. We should be able to manage our weight -- especially now that we've had the surgery.

Failure is inevitable, even with weight loss surgery.
    I don't mean absolute, hopeless failure. I mean getting an "F" in exercise, or in eating at a buffet at a holiday party. I mean the frequent failures that can add up to a weight gain over time, but individually they mean very little in terms of your weight.

Embrace failure.
    Kiyosaki says the key to his success as an entrepreneur is that he has learned to use his failures as learning opportunities. He doesn't like failure any more than the next person, but he knows it's useful and that it will help him be more successful. His failures are the fuel for his triumph.

Can you use failure as a strategy?

Considering most people who struggle with their weight tend to want to be perfect, putting failure in a desirable light may be hard at first.
    You may not want to admit failure. Admitting failure is hard. That is why we've worked so hard not to fail, and why we get so devastated when we do. In some ways, we have been programmed to avoid failure. In school, we don't get rewarded for failure. One bad grade will bring down your grade average for the whole year. But in life, failing and admitting we have failed are actually good things. Kiyosaki took the time to stop, admit failure, and analyze what went wrong. Then, he tried again, using the information he had learned from his failure to do better.

WLS success is dependent on studying your failures and learning from them. It used to be that we'd fail, give up, and go on a cookie binge. That paradigm doesn't work for overeaters, and especially not for WLS patients.

The better model for WLS success is much more like Kiyosaki's:

1. Fail. (Remember, this is inevitable. We are not perfect. This type of failure includes things like skipping your vitamins, eating a donut, or exercising only the fingers that work the remote).

2. Admit it. Tell someone. Post it on the NAWLS forum, call someone in your support group, go to an OA meeting, tell your coach, call a friend, tell your minister. Just do it.

3. Analyze your failure and learn from it. A few months ago, I realized that I am much more likely to eat something if it is sitting out on my kitchen counter. When my husband leaves food out, I taste it -- almost every time. So, instead of denying my behavior and pretending it wasn't anything to worry about, I admitted my grazing to myself and to my support group. Then, I analyzed the situation and figured out it was happening because I was on the "see-food" diet -- I see food, I eat it. Then, I asked my family to put their food out of sight. That simple. And it worked.

4. Fail again. It's all in your perspective. By reframing your view of failure, you can create a powerful
    tool for success. Says Kiyosaki, "Thomas Edison was asked to leave school because teachers complained that he was addled or scatterbrained. Later in life, he was criticized for having failed over a thousand
    times before inventing his version of the electric light bulb ....[then he] founded General Electric, one of the most powerful companies in the world."

WLS patients who fail and learn are winners, too. When you turn your mistakes into lessons, you take control of your life. You move forward to places you never thought you could go. So, be fearless about failure. It will serve you well.
  • AJWaddlesOn
    Options
    Hi all! I'm so happy that I found this thread and wish I had found it sooner! I was banded on 7/21/10 (the day after this thread was started).
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hi all! I'm so happy that I found this thread and wish I had found it sooner! I was banded on 7/21/10 (the day after this thread was started).

Welcome Amy Jo!!! and hope to see post from you! Congrats on banding and 50 pounds lost!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 10, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Focus on the joy.

In almost any given moment, you have a choice. You can pick out "what's wrong with that picture," or you can look for what's right. As you walk into your kitchen, your first thought can be, "I hate it when my husband doesn't wipe up his crumbs," or you can think, "I love how sunny this room is."

Negative thinking can become a well-worn habit, but it never brings peace of mind. Looking for what you like will bring you much more joy.

Action for the day: Police your thoughts today. Whenever you lead with a negative thought, back up and start again with something positive--something joyous.

************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Daily Inspiration for September 11, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Develop tranquility.

Stress, as you know all too well, can easily lead to weight gain and the overall sabotage of your WLS lifestyle. Yet, many WLS patients simply don't know how to deal with this potentially harmful emotion.

There are many effective and natural means of reducing stress that don't cost a penny, including nature walks, deep breathing, enhancing sleep quality, relaxation exercises, meditation, visualization, and guided imagery.

Action for the day: Choose an activity that will reduce your stress, and engage in it today.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 12, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Use small tools.

Have you noticed that serving spoons have been getting bigger? It's true--some silverware companies are now increasing the size of the utensils they manufacture. Talk about sabotage!

Taking small bites is one great tool for maintaining control of how much you eat.

Did you know that you can now find small spoons (in the baby aisle) to take with you wherever you go? Small bites, chewed slowly and thoroughly, will keep overeating in check--whether you use the little disposable spoons, cocktail forks, or other small utensils.

Action for the day: Have you lapsed into taking larger bites and eating faster? For today, use small utensils, and chew slowly and thoroughly. You'll probably be more satisfied than you expect.

******************************************************************************************************************************************
    Daily Inspiration for September 13, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Be realistic.

Are you a perfectionist? Do you tend to give up and overeat if you can't be perfect with your food? The reality is making one mistake does not mean you have to throw in the towel.

You don't have to be perfect; just be honest with yourself. When you start to tell yourself you're a hopeless case, stop and ask yourself: "Is that really true? Am I really hopeless?"

Action for the day: Be realistic and admit there are things you can do to help yourself and your situation. Today, make a new choice and get moving in a healthier direction.

• MacMadame
    Options
    OKay, the small tool things is a pet peeve of mine. I'm really supposed to buy baby utensils and carry them around with me to eat everywhere I go? Um, if someone came to your house for dinner and whipped out their own forks and spoons, you'd think they were a nut case. Because they would be a nut case!

I think we have to learn how to deal with food in the real world. Having special utensils isn't living in the real world. Don't get me wrong... when I'm at home, I use the salad forks and small plates for my meals. Plus, when you're early out and learning, having smaller utensils and plates can be really helpful.

But they should be considered like training wheels on a bike and eventually you have to ride without them!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 15, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Harbor hope.

So what do you do when you stumble? Do you shake your head in self-disgust and say to yourself, "Well, what else is new? I always screw up. What's the point?" Or do you humbly acknowledge the fact that you are a flawed human being (like everyone else on the planet) and vow to do better next time?

If you "slam" yourself too much, you'll lose hope for the future. Hope is your heart's way of pushing you to try more, accomplish more, and be more. Don't extinguish that spark.

Action for the day: Reflect on the most recent misstep you made in your WLS lifestyle. Determine what lesson can be learned from it, forgive yourself for it, and then move on.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Daily Inspiration for September 14, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Do the New York Times crossword puzzle in ink.

Doing a difficult crossword puzzle in pencil may seem like a smart approach. If you make a mistake, you can simply erase the answer and try again. But having that option paves the way to making impulsive choices. And after awhile, too many erasures will make the puzzle illegible. When you write the answers in pen, you're committing yourself.

Now take that approach to your life as a whole. Try to avoid rash decisions you'll regret later. Take your time. Do research. Develop a plan. Know the likely consequences. Then, write it in ink.

Action for the day: In your journal, write about a recent rash decision you made that did not turn out as well as you would have liked. Then, imagine how the situation would have unfolded if you had taken the time to think things through and develop a plan of action you could feel confident about. Resolve to act more deliberately next time.

• JAF55
    JAF55 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I agree with you, Molly, about many people here downing us WLS people. Often, it has turned me off of reading the posts. I just go back to my old faithful, and I see why I stay there. I have much more support there. The people there have mostly all had some sort of WLS, and know what we are all going through. Also, my Dad is gone now, but I remember him telling me he was proud of me also. He said he was so afraid that my morbid obesity was going to kill me. He never said that to me before I lost most of the weight. He didn't give his support one way or another, initially, but he was happy for me afterwards. By the way, I've lost 135 pounds, and have kept it off for seven years. It is work though. Good luck!

Sorry, I can't find the post I was following when I added this comment. You can delete it if you'd like. It's the first time I have posted, and I am not familiar with the site yet.
    Good Luck to All WLS veterans!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for September 16, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Know thyself.

Knowing what you are capable of and what you are likely to struggle with will help tremendously in your efforts to stay on the path to WLS success. If there are situations that are challenging to you, acknowledge that. You have nothing to prove to anyone by ignoring your limitations and pushing forward. And having difficulties in certain areas does not make you weak.

If you know that office parties are your downfall, you need to accept that fact and then take the necessary steps to avoid them. If that means staying in your office or going home a little early, then so be it. Know your strengths and weaknesses and make your decisions based on them.

Action for the day: Reflect on the situation you were in when you last stumbled--eating something you should not have, skipping your vitamins or water, etc. What can you learn about yourself from that situation? Apply that knowledge about yourself as you move forward.