WLS support and inspirational information

Options

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Spinning is awesome! But you need a good instructor.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    I am not able to do spinning but I know that would be a good challenge for sure. Spinning classes are always booked up at my gym on the 2 weekdays they have them.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 7, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Motivate yourself to exercise.

It's not impossible to motivate yourself to exercise. Some people find motivation when they make a commitment to meet another person for a walk. Others get motivated when they are paying a personal trainer. The key is to know that you can create your own motivation.

Be creative! Getting a dog that has to be walked will also give you a furry friend to keep you company while you exercise. And taking a volunteer job that requires physical exertion, like Meals on Wheels, will help you stay fit while helping another human being, too.

Action for the day: You can get motivated to move. Today, make plans to exercise with a friend or to help a neighbor. Motivation will follow such actions.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    My absolutes:

I absolutely have to work out at least 5 days a week for a MINIMUM of 45-60 minutes. I get away with just 45 minutes at least once a week since I know I will have at least 2 days where I'll workout for an hour and 15 to an hour and 30 minutes. On the weekends, one day may be a 2 hour day.... not that I'm into being extreme, but I love working out on the weekends, I have more time and don't feel rushed and may end up taking 2 classes in a row.

I too have to stay away from fried foods....it messes with my tummy in more ways than one ;-(

I pretty much have to stay away from "normal" bread... I might get away with HALF of a sandwich thin or HALF of a bagel thin....anything else is no bueno....
  • Lisamarie1226
    Options
    Absolutely no soda's. It's been over a month since I had one and I still want a Dr. Pepper badly, but am not having one. Diet V8 Splash and Water are my new beverages of choice :happy:

One of these days I am going to try the V8 Splash. I keep hearing about them.

YES!!!! I Love the diet V8 Splash! I like the tropical and the mango peach ;-)
  • Lisamarie1226
    Options
    Well, my "no tracking" experiment is over. I saw 120 on my scale today!

Here's an interesting article about obesity and self-esteem:

http://www.obesityaction.org/magazine/ywm21/selfesteemandobesity.php

WOW!!!!! Congrats on the 120 ;-)
  • tippi4406
    tippi4406 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm not a soda drinker so that is not a problem for me, but I am a chronic snacker with Cheez-It's or Pretzel Snaps being my nemesis. Now that there are no more in the house I am trying to find healthier choices to keep me on track. The last time I tried the Diet V8 Splash it made me dump so I've stayed away from them. Crystal Light, Decaf Coffee and Water are my choices for fluid intake.

Looking forward to getting back in the gym soon, maybe today or tomorrow. I've been experiencing some hip and knee pain which the doctor says comes from jogging, pushing myself on the treadmill and over exercising. Back to walking with a slower pace which is going to kill me and a longer time frame. I will see how that works.

My absolute is staying away from the cafeteria food and taking my own meals. Not only do they taste better, but it keeps me on track.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    My absolutes:

I absolutely have to work out at least 5 days a week for a MINIMUM of 45-60 minutes. I get away with just 45 minutes at least once a week since I know I will have at least 2 days where I'll workout for an hour and 15 to an hour and 30 minutes. On the weekends, one day may be a 2 hour day.... not that I'm into being extreme, but I love working out on the weekends, I have more time and don't feel rushed and may end up taking 2 classes in a row.

I too have to stay away from fried foods....it messes with my tummy in more ways than one ;-(

I pretty much have to stay away from "normal" bread... I might get away with HALF of a sandwich thin or HALF of a bagel thin....anything else is no bueno....

I agree on weekend workouts and days when I am off work, I work out 2 hours for sure. I make sure I do 60 min or more of cardio in on those days. The highest cardio day for me is 75 min.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Tippi,

Sorry to hear about knee and hip pain. Good on taking it down a notch as your doctor recommended. You know I suffer with knee pain, so I modify when neccessary and I that is why I try to watch it with the Elliptical machine and minutes and times per week on it.

Good job on eliminating junk food from the house too!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 8, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Eat dense protein first.

Soft foods can be comforting and tasty, but they are risky for WLS patients. For people whose WLS includes a small stoma through which food will pass into the intestines, the soft food goes through so easily that you may not feel full at times. Consequently, eating these soft foods may put you at risk for consuming more calories than you need.

Include dense protein with every meal. The dense proteins—beef, chicken, fish, etc.—will help you feel full and will stay with you longer. And be sure to avoid drinking beverages with your meals.

Action for the day: Have you gotten into the habit of eating soft foods that don't stay with you long? Record what you eat today and evaluate your diet. Add dense proteins as needed.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com

****************************************************************************************************************************************
  • ginastnly
    Options
    Good reminder about the soft foods. As I have the small stoma that foods pass through and I can tell that I do eat so much more when eating those foods before the protein. I have to remind myself to eat the protein first before I dig in to those mashed potatoes. I don't know if anyone else struggles with the no fluids with meals but it is still hard for me not to drink while I eat. I always have water at the table just in case I need. But I have to remind and stop myself not to just randomly drink it while eating my meal. I find myself watching the clock after I eat to see if 30 to 45 minutes have passed so I can drink again.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Good reminder about the soft foods. As I have the small stoma that foods pass through and I can tell that I do eat so much more when eating those foods before the protein. I have to remind myself to eat the protein first before I dig in to those mashed potatoes. I don't know if anyone else struggles with the no fluids with meals but it is still hard for me not to drink while I eat. I always have water at the table just in case I need. But I have to remind and stop myself not to just randomly drink it while eating my meal. I find myself watching the clock after I eat to see if 30 to 45 minutes have passed so I can drink again.

Yes Gina this was a hard one for me also. But I do not have water with me just in case. I make a point of not having water with me at the table so I will not drink it. I set my cell phone to remind me when 35 min is up. Even at home I do this and this works out fine.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 9, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Be open minded.

There is a saying: A closed system is a sick system. If you are closed to new ideas, information, and support from others, you are not nearly as likely to solve the problems that are challenging you. When you do not seek out others for support, your secrets and self destructive behaviors will discourage you and keep you down.

Open your mind to different people, approaches, and ideas, or you will lose out on a great opportunity to find new solutions and resources for long-term success.

Action for the day: Take a moment today to explore your degree of open mindedness. Have you been open to trying new things to help you succeed on your WLS journey?

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!!! Congrats on the 120 ;-)
    No, that's bad... I am back down to 118. It's weird because my pants are all loose in the legs and there is one pair I am going to give to Goodwill as I look so droopy in them. But I know I've got more fat in my middle. It's just not effecting how my clothes fit. Yet.

Btw, knee pain while running is usually a form issue. Most people seem to "over-stride". If you bend forward at the ankles and flick your feet behind you and land with your feet under your body, you may find your knee pain going away.

Also, it helps to have your running shoes professionally fitted at a good running store.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 10, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Make today count.

Sometimes life presents challenges that seem insurmountable. When tragedy strikes or plans fail, motivation can jump right out the window.

When you're feeling discouraged, it's easy to lash out at others or mistreat yourself.

But have courage. Despite your circumstances, make today memorable for something positive. A positive action won't completely take your worries away, but it is the first step to overcoming adversity.

Action for the day: No matter how you feel or what is happening in your life that is discouraging, take a positive action today. Make today count for something good.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 11, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Be a force for change in the world.

Hoping the world will change to suit you, without contributing to the change, is likely to never happen. Your experience with WLS has probably made you realize how our world actually encourages obesity while disdaining it at the same time. Every social event involves fattening foods of some sort.

You can't tell everyone to stop serving that junk, but you can have enjoyable social events that center on other things besides eating, and serve healthy foods when food is a "must" at an event. You can be a gentle but vocal example that inspires those around you to change.

Action for the day: Quietly assert your needs today. Be a force for change.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 12, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Push yourself.

Taking risks can be scary, but if you are not satisfied with some aspect in your life, then taking a risk just might be necessary to create change.

Getting out of your comfort zone may seem hard, but start small. If you practice taking risks, you will develop a tolerance. And once you are able to tolerate risk, you can take bold action to create a more satisfying life for yourself.

Action for the day: Take a risk today—even a small one will do.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    There are quit a few on here who have lost over 100 pounds and may be having the baggy, sagging skin issue already or you may be having it soon. I am posting some inspirations that have helped me come to terms with my saggy skin and hopefully it will help some of you too.

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

See yourself in a positive light.

Shar-pei dogs have luxurious folds of soft skin. They're really cute. After losing a substantial amount of weight, people develop folds of skin as they lose weight, but most don't find those folds cute. To tolerate the folds from an emotional standpoint, it's important to look at things from a kinder perspective.

Use positive affirmations and self talk to help you accept (and even admire) your new appearance. After all, you're not morbidly obese anymore. Your health is improved. And you have energy and abilities that used to be out of reach. The positive benefits beat the negatives by far--if you look at your situation with nonjudgmental eyes.

Action for the day: When you look in the mirror today, smile and pick out something you like about the way you look. Don't leave the mirror until you think and feel something positive.

******************************************************************************************************************************************

Embrace your Shar-pei look.

As the pounds melt away, your skin may get a bit droopy. Just like the Shar-pei dogs with the many folds of sagging skin, you too will be lovable, soft, and healthy. Your loose skin may tighten up in time, or you may choose to have it surgically helped along.

Yet, is it not better to have the sagging skin, proud scars of your battle, than to be sick? Would you trade that skin for diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, cancer risks, breathlessness, and immobility? Resolve not to be distressed by loose skin. It is only on the outside. Inside you are healthier, happier, and still you. Acknowledge the sagging skin as a positive change.

Action for the day: Make a list of the things you can do now, that you could not do before you lost weight.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support: Daily Inspiration for November 14, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Be deliberate.

Think about what you are doing as you move through your day. It's easy to do the same things over and over again because you are used to a routine. But if that routine includes some self-defeating behaviors, it's time to make some different choices.

By deliberately choosing to create a healthier pattern to your life, you can gain some control over your eating and your life.

Action for the day: If you normally stop in at a coffee shop on the way to work and order a muffin along with your latte, fix a healthy drink at home (a coffee-flavored protein shake, for example) and skip the coffee shop. Be deliberate in your choices today.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I love the reference to obesity being in remission. This really emphasizes the seriousness of obesity when we think of it as being in remission. The following article has some tips on how to let go of food crutches?

The Weekly Newsletter from:
    National Association for Weight Loss Surgery
    How to Let Go of Your Food Crutch
    by Katie Jay, MSW, Certified Wellness Coach
    Director, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery
    www.nawls.com

Even though you say you want to be successful with your
    surgery, do you sometimes eat when you wish you wouldn't?

When it comes to eating, is guilt a frequent companion
    of yours?

Welcome to the club.

In our culture, with the amount of unhealthy food we're
    exposed to, and with the holiday stresses bearing down
    on us, it's safe to say many Americans, including WLSers,
    will be using food as a crutch in the coming weeks.

In fact, eating food with no nutritional value during
    the holidays has become such an accepted pastime, we
    don't even realize that we are eating to deal with
    feelings.

And because holiday eating is sanctioned by nearly
    everyone, we have a golden opportunity to hide in plain
    sight -- to use our crutch without anyone really knowing
    we're using it. We take a brief vacation from the guilt
    (or at least we try to).

"I am not going to feel deprived at Thanksgiving," we
    insist. "I can handle a little indulgence." "I've been
    so good this year, I deserve a holiday from food rules!"
    "I've modified the recipe; this is *healthy* fudge."

Clearly, some of us *can* handle a little indulgence,
    but why do we tempt fate? Why do we turn to food with
    gusto and self righteousness?

Feelings.

Many of us don't want to feel our feelings. We don't
    like the discomfort of deprivation, longing, feeling
    different from others, isolation, loneliness, anger,
    fear, sadness, shame, loss, or abandonment.

The truth is, however, that finding healthier ways to
    deal with our uncomfortable feelings is essential to
    long-term success.

Even when you feel resistance to putting down the food
    crutch, it boils down to this: Do you want long-term
    obesity remission or don't you?

I had to look in the mirror and ask myself that question
    a few days ago, as I obsessed about whether or not I
    should make gluten-free brownies for myself. "Maybe I
    can handle desserts," I reasoned like a pro. "Maybe it's
    been the gluten all along, and I really can handle more
    sweets!"

When I asked myself whether or not I wanted to keep my
    obesity in remission, I knew the answer immediately --
    yes!

Some of us aren't so lucky. We really don't know what
    we want. We don't know if putting down our food crutch
    is possible, or even desirable. Is it worth feeling all
    those negative feelings just so we can stay a size 12
    (or whatever)? Apparently, the answer for some of us
    is "NO!"

The only way to know if it's worth it is to give it a
    try, to put down the crutch long enough to see what
    might happen once we get used to living without it --
    and to see that we can survive, or even better, thrive.

There are a ton of resources available to help us
    learn to stop using food as a crutch, but the bottom
    line is that we need to put down the offending foods,
    identify and feel our feelings, find healthier ways to
    deal with those feelings, and get as much support as
    necessary to accomplish this challenging task.

Here's what seems to work for most people:

1. Devise a strategy you will experiment with when
    you have uncomfortable feelings, instead of using
    food as a crutch.

2. Take a few minutes first thing each morning to
    visualize yourself moving through your day, trying
    out your new strategy, allowing your feelings, and
    making healthy food choices.

3. Resolve to be self aware before, during, and
    after your eating -- no matter what.

4. Welcome your feelings warmly and "make small
    talk" with them, so you can understand what they
    are trying to tell you about your needs.

5. Honor your needs.

6. Notice without judgment the thoughts and
    feelings you are having about your feelings.

7. Make notes about what you did in response to
    an uncomfortable feeling instead of eat, and how
    well it did or didn't work for you.

8. Resolve to stick with the experiment until you
    know whether or not the new strategy can work.

9. If the new strategy is not working, get more
    support. If it still isn't working, do some
    research and try another strategy.

10. Never give up!

As one of my coaching clients reminded me
    recently, the only way out is through. To
    keep obesity in remission, we need to practice
    putting our food crutch down, and bravely feel
    our feelings, as often as we can.

It's possible!

Warm regards,

Katie

Want to Reprint this Newsletter?

If you'd like to reprint any part of this newsletter,
    do so with the following credit, including the copyright
    line:

From Small Bites, the email newsletter for the
    National Association for Weight Loss Surgery.
    Subscribe today and get your F'REE report,
    How to Regain-proof Your Weight Loss
    Surgery at www.NAWLS.com.
    (c) 2010 National Association for Weight Loss Surgery,
    Inc. All rights reserved.

National Association for Weight Loss Surgery, 609A Piner Road, #319, Wilmington, NC 28409

To unsubscribe or change subscriber options visit:
    http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?TJwc7CwstCyMTCyc7KwMtEa0HEysHMycHA==