Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for July 27, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Be optimistic.

The biggest reason for success is attitude. If you believe you will succeed, you are much more likely to. A successful person is someone who refuses to give up even after several failures, believing that the next attempt will finally work.

Even if the odds are against you, the belief that anything is possible if you work hard enough will get you closer to your goal than believing the opposite.

Action for the day: Today, tell yourself you will not fail. (Look in the mirror and say it out loud.) Take a bold action to move yourself toward your goal.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 28, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Take time for yourself today.

Even though it may be raining, the dog is barking, your spouse or partner is moody, your boss is on a rampage, or it feels like the world is falling in on you, take a moment to do something for yourself.

Your mental health rests on taking time for yourself, affirming your spirit, and stopping the chaos in its tracks if only for a few moments. Let the rest of the world wait; you have something important to do--take care of you. This act of self-affirmation can be as simple as having a cup of tea in a stolen moment of the afternoon or five minutes of reading a fascinating article while locked in the bathroom. It can be a few extra minutes in a warm shower, a brisk walk, a good stretch, or sitting cuddled with your child or spouse or kitty.

Action for the day: No matter what is going on in your life today, take a few moments to affirm yourself. Claim a little time for you.

© 2007, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. All rights reserved. Daily Inspirations are provided by the National Association for Weight Loss Surgery. Get our free report, How to Regain-Proof Your Weight Loss Surgery at .www.nawls.com
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 29, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Strive for consistency.

Being consistent every day is tough. You may want to think that because you made healthy choices yesterday it's ok to slack off a bit today.

Consistency may seem boring or frustrating at first, but it becomes a very satisfying way of life once you get used to it. You learn you can trust yourself, and you begin to feel more grounded.

Action for the day: If you were going to be more consistent with your WLS lifestyle, what would your life look like, ideally? In your journal, describe this lifestyle. Then live it for a few days. See how it feels to nurture yourself by being predictable.

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, at my support group, we talked about staying on track and also getting back on track. Some suggestions:

(1) Track your food and exercise even if it's just 1 week a month
    (2) weigh yourself daily (or frequently anyway, maybe a couple of times a week)
    (3) have support (go to support group meetings, get a weight loss buddy, etc.)
    (4) hold yourself accountable
    (5) Keep a picture of you at your heaviest and one at your ideal and refer to them often

That was mostly for staying on track. For keeping on track, we added:
    (7) Get back to basics - protein first, don't drink with your meals, exercise if you haven't been
    (8) talk to your surgeon
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Yesterday, at my support group, we talked about staying on track and also getting back on track. Some suggestions:

(1) Track your food and exercise even if it's just 1 week a month
    (2) weigh yourself daily (or frequently anyway, maybe a couple of times a week)
    (3) have support (go to support group meetings, get a weight loss buddy, etc.)
    (4) hold yourself accountable
    (5) Keep a picture of you at your heaviest and one at your ideal and refer to them often

That was mostly for staying on track. For keeping on track, we added:
    (7) Get back to basics - protein first, don't drink with your meals, exercise if you haven't been
    (8) talk to your surgeon

Wonderful!! Thanks for reminder! I have a picture of me at my heaviest on my refrig so I know I can't go back there ever! I have my picture here on MFP for where I want to get back to right after my RNY in 2004. On that picture I weighed about 310 give or take a few pounds. When I get back there I am going to switch my avatar back to that girl....:-)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for July 31, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Surrender.

Are you still in the "food fight"? Do you continue to test your limits, eating beyond satisfaction or grazing? Are you spending your days planning to eat, eating, and regretting eating?

This is a vicious cycle that you can end. It's time to surrender. Time to admit that your way isn't working and to try someone else's plan. If you are unsure of what you need to be eating, make an appointment with a WLS-knowledgeable nutritionist. Surrender means you let go of the cycle, choosing instead to open yourself up to the guidelines of people who have a healthier perspective on eating.

Action for the day: Think about your current relationship with food. Are you worried and obsessed, or are you at peace? Take an honest look, and if you are still fighting with food, it's time to negotiate a surrender. Make an appointment with a nutritionist and reach out to your support system.

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for August 1, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Break down your goals into "bite-sized" chunks.

To get to the top of Mt. Everest is a huge feat, even for experienced climbers. Even they take the mountain in small steps. They climb a certain distance, then rest.

Think about how you can use this approach in your own life. Over time, you can reach even your loftiest goals. Take it one step at a time.

Action for the day: Pick a task you've wanted to accomplish, but have been putting off. Today set a timer and work for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, decide whether you will keep working for 20 minutes more or if you are done for the day. Either way, you have moved closer to your goal.

• jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have not had WLS , but I am posting so that I can save this thread to my topics.
    Your posts are very encouraging and give me alot to think about, regardless of how much weight we need /want to loose.
    Thank you for posting , you are helping me to THINK.
    Good Luck , you'll get there. One meal at a time.:flowerforyou:
  • tiarapants
    tiarapants Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting up this thread and for your inspirational quotes x
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for August 2, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Invest in yourself.

Sometimes your WLS routine feels like drudgery. You don't feel like drinking another glass of water. You are too tired to exercise. You just don't want to have to think about what you're putting in your mouth.

Think of following your surgeon's or dietician's guidelines like putting money in the bank. Every investment in your new lifestyle will help build your "wealth of health" in the long run.

Action for the day: Make an investment in your health today. Spend five minutes visualizing how you want to feel, look, and live in the long run.

• MacMadame
    Options
    This where having good habits comes in. If tracking your food, taking your supplements, getting in your protein, water and any other nutrient you are monitoring is a habit, then it tends to be something that it's easier to just do than not do. Then it's more likely to not drop by the wayside when you are feeling unmotivated.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Here is a good link that some of you may be interested in. It is long but very good.

50 TIPS TO HELP YOU SUCCEED AT “NORMAL” EATING
    from psychology of eating expert Karen R. Koenig, LCSW, M.Ed.
    author of
    NICE GIRLS FINISH FAT, THE RULES OF “NORMAL” EATING, THE FOOD AND
    FEELINGS WORKBOOK, and WHAT EVERY THERAPIST NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT
    TREATING EATING AND WEIGHT ISSUES

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/allinthemind/discussion/4216949/50-TIPS-TO-HELP-YOU-SUCCEED-AT-NORMAL-EATING/#34609283
  • MacMadame
    Options
    I've got her book: The Rules of Normal Eating. Also, I am going through the 50 tips and doing a blog entry on each one. I think they are very useful.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I've got her book: The Rules of Normal Eating. Also, I am going through the 50 tips and doing a blog entry on each one. I think they are very useful.

Maybe you are the one I heard it from, but when I get home I am going to print these out because I like the very beginning of it. I will see if my library has it also. These days I only buy books after I read them to see if I will read again or need to have for a reference.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for August 3, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Ask for help.

It is estimated that 70 percent of weight loss surgery patients have an eating disorder, also known as a food addiction. The number one reason most people avoid seeking help for food addiction is they don't believe they can stop their negative eating behaviors. They have such a track record of failure with weight loss and weight control that they feel absolutely hopeless.

The truth is people recover from food addiction all the time. You can, too. Consider asking for help.

Action for the day: Do you struggle with a food addiction? If you are not sure, do some online research today. If you do have a food addiction, research online to find out what kinds of help are available to you.

• MacMadame
    Options
    Based on what I see on the boards, I think it's a lot lower than 70%.

What I find interesting is that a lot of this stuff is a chicken & egg kind of thing. So, in starvation studies, the subjects often end up behaving like Anorexics even though they started out psychologically normal. I see the same thing with obese people. Our relationship with food gets turned around by our struggles with our weight. So... did disordered eating cause the obesity or does obesity cause disordered eating? It's a little of both, I think.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Based on what I see on the boards, I think it's a lot lower than 70%.

What I find interesting is that a lot of this stuff is a chicken & egg kind of thing. So, in starvation studies, the subjects often end up behaving like Anorexics even though they started out psychologically normal. I see the same thing with obese people. Our relationship with food gets turned around by our struggles with our weight. So... did disordered eating cause the obesity or does obesity cause disordered eating? It's a little of both, I think.

Food for thought for sure. Regardless of which one it is--help should be seeked out. The WLS does not fix the eating disorder or the food addiction if a person has one. In 2004 the statitics were that 50% of the people who have WLS gain back 50% of their weight back in 5 yrs. The percentages is probably higher because people will not go back to their surgeons for help when they start to gain like I did. My group was so happy I seeked help because they say many wait until they gain all their weight back or they never come back. It was very hard to go back because I did feel like a failure to some extent.

Now I am happy to say I am doing much better than I was in beginning of the year. I go to OA now and started back attending WLS support groups. OA meetings are the most helpful. Then a month later I MFP was recommended on BOT boards on OH.com and I love it and everyone here helps me stay mindful in between support group meetings.

Thank you for your support and checking in on this thread :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I see there are more viewers so I have to believe others are being help also. It helps just because I have to read them before I post them and it will be handy if I need a point of reference
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Daily Inspiration for August 4, 2010
    Katie Jay, MSW

Set your angel free.

When you decided to have weight loss surgery, were you longing to set free something inside you? Obesity had hidden your true self from view. You longed to reveal the inner you. So, each day WLS has chipped away at your exterior.

Michelangelo said, "I saw the angel in the stone and carved until I set him free." Yet at the end of his first day, the rock still looked like&a rock.

Only slowly did it become the beautiful creation that was locked within. As you lose weight, you will change many times; you will wake up mornings and not recognize the thinner face that has replaced the rounded one. In time, with consistency, effort, and a firm vision, you will release your angel within.

Action for the day: Today, set aside a few quiet moments and visualize the inner you--your inner angel. In your mind, embrace that vision, talk to it, and plan together how your inner angel can help you remain steadfast.

• MacMadame
    Options
    The studies I've seen say that 75-90% of people keep off at least 50% of their excess weight. I think today's modern surgery techniques are responsible for that. There are some new operations that weren't being done much in the early 2000s either and they have less issues with regain than the old-school bypass.

Now, I'm not saying people shouldn't seek help, if they need it. I'm just saying for most of us it's a physiological issues, not psychological. But that's good because it's easier to fix the body than the brain. :laugh:

This reminds me of what I wanted to post... here's a question for everyone:

What's the first good habit that falls by the wayside when you are going through tough times? I just had a stressful couple of weeks and all my work to get to bed earlier just blew up in my face. The first two nights after I was particularly upset, I was up past midnight again.

This upset me, but I was also happy that it wasn't my good eating or my food diary that I dropped. That gave me a lot of hope for the future and it showed me that I've changed. I remember going on my first diet when I was 13, losing 15 lb. and looking fantastic. Then I went back to school in the Fall and all the kids were still mean to me. I remember very clearly thinking: why did I bother to lose all that weight and then going back to eating junk in between meals and double portions at meal time. (And putting it back on plus friends.)

I'm glad that didn't happen this time. I think it's because my eating is now tied to my triathlon goals and those are more important to me than pretty much everything except my family. Now I just have to feel that way about sleep. It is part of my training to get enough sleep, but it's not as direct as doing my workouts and eating properly.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    This reminds me of what I wanted to post... here's a question for everyone:

What's the first good habit that falls by the wayside when you are going through tough times? I just had a stressful couple of weeks and all my work to get to bed earlier just blew up in my face. The first two nights after I was particularly upset, I was up past midnight again.

This upset me, but I was also happy that it wasn't my good eating or my food diary that I dropped. That gave me a lot of hope for the future and it showed me that I've changed. I remember going on my first diet when I was 13, losing 15 lb. and looking fantastic. Then I went back to school in the Fall and all the kids were still mean to me. I remember very clearly thinking: why did I bother to lose all that weight and then going back to eating junk in between meals and double portions at meal time. (And putting it back on plus friends.)

I'm glad that didn't happen this time. I think it's because my eating is now tied to my triathlon goals and those are more important to me than pretty much everything except my family. Now I just have to feel that way about sleep. It is part of my training to get enough sleep, but it's not as direct as doing my workouts and eating properly.

For me it is still my eating habits go to pot. I have not had anything happen to me so far since I have been with MFP so I do not know yet. But since my RNY it has been food I call back on like a old friend.

I am going to change that though. I went to my WLS support group meeting last night and it was wonderful and I have to keep going back for sure. This has really been helping me to get back on track. Finally I have stopped the yo-yoing I have been doing since June.