WLS support and inspirational information

Options

Replies

• priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Let's have a roll call. How many people on this site have had WLS?

:drinker: Me! (Those are protein drinks, of course.)

Me! Sleeved 10/28/10
  • priskar
    priskar Posts: 156
    Options
    Put the Truth to Work for You: Eat your target body weight in grams of protein daily. For example, if you're a chubby 180-pound woman and want to be a lean 160, have 160 grams of protein a day. If you're a 160-pound guy hoping to pack on 20 pounds of muscle, aim for 180 grams each day.

Mollie, I find this SO interesting! I've been given 3 different amounts of protein per day by my surgeon and 3 nutritionists. All gave me different amounts and I've been floundering - not knowing which was right and which wasn't.

I started out at 5'0" and 242 lbs. During my pre-surg counseling I was told 55 gr of protein. After surgery my surgeon told me 50-55 grams and between 400-600 cals for at least 6 months. That's hard to do if you're not drinking protein shakes all the time. At group support the nutritionist there was aghast and said I needed between 65-80 grams. I finally hired my own nutritionist through the fitness center I go to who recommended 80-100 grams.

My ideal weight is 98-115 but the surgeon settled on 150 which, of course, I'm wasn't happy about but I know my "ideal" isn't quite ideal either. If I could get to 130 I'd be happy.

I lost a few pounds before surgery and then lost the majority of the 30lb. total within the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. That was 2 months ago and I haven't lost an ounce since. I have almost decided I was going to be part of the 1% that the surgery doesn't work for and, especially as a self pay, I find it frustrating on a daily basis when there's no movement on the scale. I stopped weighing many weeks ago because of it. In the meantime, my husband eats/drinks what he wants but has lost 80 lbs in the same amount of time via VSG. (He had his 2 weeks before me). I am restricted from exercise for the time being - not quite true...I just got the go ahead last week that it was okay to swim.

I'm wondering now, after reading your post, if the reason I haven't lost weight was too little protein? Could this affect weight loss/plateau's?

I read your wonderful inspirations and I consider myself so fortunate to have been able to afford this surgery and go through this process. At least it has stopped me from gaining weight and I have lost 30 lbs. But, I am nowhere near the 10 lbs. per month that my October surgery mates have lost. I realize I'm older, had an exercise limitation, menopausal, and female and that these can work against me. I also know I have DIO (diet induced obesity) due to a liquid diet I had been on before but I am just flabberghasted that as little as I eat that I can't lose the pounds.

Is it possible to plateau for several months? Could it be too few protein grams? Hmmm.... Your post has certainly given me things to think about. Thank you!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,381 Member
    Options
    Put the Truth to Work for You: Eat your target body weight in grams of protein daily. For example, if you're a chubby 180-pound woman and want to be a lean 160, have 160 grams of protein a day. If you're a 160-pound guy hoping to pack on 20 pounds of muscle, aim for 180 grams each day.

Mollie, I find this SO interesting! I've been given 3 different amounts of protein per day by my surgeon and 3 nutritionists. All gave me different amounts and I've been floundering - not knowing which was right and which wasn't.

I started out at 5'0" and 242 lbs. During my pre-surg counseling I was told 55 gr of protein. After surgery my surgeon told me 50-55 grams and between 400-600 cals for at least 6 months. That's hard to do if you're not drinking protein shakes all the time. At group support the nutritionist there was aghast and said I needed between 65-80 grams. I finally hired my own nutritionist through the fitness center I go to who recommended 80-100 grams.

My ideal weight is 98-115 but the surgeon settled on 150 which, of course, I'm wasn't happy about but I know my "ideal" isn't quite ideal either. If I could get to 130 I'd be happy.

I lost a few pounds before surgery and then lost the majority of the 30lb. total within the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. That was 2 months ago and I haven't lost an ounce since. I have almost decided I was going to be part of the 1% that the surgery doesn't work for and, especially as a self pay, I find it frustrating on a daily basis when there's no movement on the scale. I stopped weighing many weeks ago because of it. In the meantime, my husband eats/drinks what he wants but has lost 80 lbs in the same amount of time via VSG. (He had his 2 weeks before me). I am restricted from exercise for the time being - not quite true...I just got the go ahead last week that it was okay to swim.

I'm wondering now, after reading your post, if the reason I haven't lost weight was too little protein? Could this affect weight loss/plateau's?

I read your wonderful inspirations and I consider myself so fortunate to have been able to afford this surgery and go through this process. At least it has stopped me from gaining weight and I have lost 30 lbs. But, I am nowhere near the 10 lbs. per month that my October surgery mates have lost. I realize I'm older, had an exercise limitation, menopausal, and female and that these can work against me. I also know I have DIO (diet induced obesity) due to a liquid diet I had been on before but I am just flabberghasted that as little as I eat that I can't lose the pounds.

Is it possible to plateau for several months? Could it be too few protein grams? Hmmm.... Your post has certainly given me things to think about. Thank you!!

Priskar,

It is not the protien. I just posted this so if people were concerned about the excessive protien they could sleep easily. I know for me I always wondered if I was ruining my kidneys because I do eat a lot of protien. I think 80 to 100 grams of protien is sufficent in your honeymoon stage. Many are not able to meet the protien values in the 1st year after surgery. I know it was over 6 months before I could eat 60 to 80 grams of protien. I posted this to reassure everyone that they are not damaging their kidneys as many will tell you. This is listed as a danger of the surgery by many doctores and institutions that are anti WLS.

I am not an expert but when you hit a stall and you are not exercising that is the best way to get a stall moving. I had my surgery October 26th, and I stalled in February for six weeks. I was already walking daily for 30 mins or more. The only thing that helped my plauteu was going to the gym and that was hard to do because I still weighed 400 plus. I went to gym a few times in March of that year following my surgery and I shed some tears the my 1st visit back to the gym because I got on the bike and I could not do 2 minutes because my knee hurt.

So it was another week or so and slowly I worked thru the pain 1 minute at a time. Finally by the end of March I was up to 15 to 20 min and I have not looked back. My knee is still a factor but I work thru it because I have to. My stall broke and I really have not had a real stall since then.

Since you can exercise now, I highly recommend you start exercising and leave your eating as is if it is what your doctor's have recommended and I do not feel you are starving. I do not buy the starvation mode crap at all. If you are not hungry do not eat. Embrace this honeymoon time you have. You will never get it back! I regret I did not take full advantage of it. The surgery does not work by itself.

We have to put our part of the work into it. If you do not get a more postive outlook and defitus outlook you are sure to waste this honeymoon period. Postive is impertive. I could have thrown my hands up when I gained back 80 pounds but I did not.

You could not exercise before and now you can, so get moving today. Do some form of calorie burning activity......:-) Do it today and not tomorrow. I can almost guratee you that if you are eating 400 to 800 calories and exercising you will see the scale move in a week or so. It is your turn now to see how bad you want to get to 130. How bad do you want to succeed? Success is never giving up. Success is doing whatever it takes. The surgery is a TOOL. You have lost the 30, so now it is up to you how much more you lose. You can do it but it is going to take effort on your part now. Success is to keep getting up. I know you can do this! Stop comparing your body to others. Everyone is different. You may have to work a little harder than others. So are you not willing to do this because others are losing more weight? Think long and hard about this.

You can not harp on you are not losing because of VSG when you could not exercise at all or was not able to exercise at all and you certainly can't compare yourself to a male. Even with WLS I see the men still lose weight faster than us. So when are you going to the pool? Today? Tomorrow? I hope you get there soon because I believe this will break your stall. I am not sure why you can't walk at all but exercise may be your key. You can do it! Start believing you can do it.

If you don't believe in yourself you are sure to fail. I read a lot of negativity in your post about yourself. I live by my 3 P's. Perseverance, Patience and Positive.

Perseverance - Never giving up on our health and self.

Patience - unhealthy habits will take time to overcome, so do not beat yourself if it takes time and many relapses to overcome them.

Positive - thinking and attitudes.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's too little protein direction. But we are not machines. We think we're doing everything "the same" every day but we aren't. This really hit home to me when I got a pedometer for this program at work. I now see that some day I go to no meetings or attend them all from my desk. Other day, I walk to the farthest cafe (it has a full menu) and maybe attend 1-2 meetings in another building and BOOM my step count goes from barely 2000 to over 7000! And that doesn't count exercise.

So, if you are having trouble getting in protein, I would work on that because getting in protein will help you feel full longer, will help your body heal from the surgery and will help you grow nice lean tissue. You should also have more energy and this will cause you to be more active.

These are three things that are proven stall busters:

- increase your water
    -increase your protein
    -increase your exercise

Everything else I've seen people try sometimes works but often doesn't.

Oh and don't worry about your doctor's "goal" for you. Some programs are dead set on being "realistic" and never give a goal lower than whatever the average is for that surgery type. Because, of course, every single one of us is average and will lose exactly the same percentage of weight. :wink: I think 150 sounds exactly like that kind of goal.

My surgeon is aggressive. His suggested goal for me was 105-130. (I'm 5' 0.5") That's having a normal BMI, basically. Now, if I had said "no way", he would have worked with me to come up with something we were both happy with. But I meekly said "okay" even though I thought it was CRAZY to think I could get below 130.

And here I am! :laugh:

So it's completely possible. You just have to work it and let the tool do it's thang!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Well yesterday was a very bad and good day for me. One thing after another happened. Perfect for me binging but I did not do it!!! I was so proud of myself. I fought the urge to binge. No fast foods. I knew things were going bad. Lost my cell phone, power went out meaning no heat!! I was very mindful and knew I was on a roll and I was not going to do it. When all was over and done with and heat back on, I boiled some eggs and had some toast and banana for a late dinner.

YAY and got on the scale again today and I was down another pound!! Did I mention I kept drinking water and telling myself I am not going to eat over this stress today and it work. I kept thinking about a phrase of one of the challenges leaders keeps in her signature and I have heard it before but I kept repeating it to myself yesterday! The phrase was, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I may not ever be skinny but I am going to get much smaller (and healthier) than I am now. And yesterday that phrase worked for me. And I let myself cry too and that helped. It was on those days when you say what else can happen. But all is well today. Next month when the bills come in I will probably cry some more...

But today I am going to be happy because yesterday I did not do my usual even though my sister tempted me. After I told her I was not going to fast food joint. She went home and cooked her some eggs, oatmeal, etc and called me and told me she did not go to get anything and that her egg omelet and oatmeal was sooo good. That was good for me to hear also because that let me know she is listening to me and I am not pushing. I am just trying to be a good example. And it proves just doing the right thing helps our family without us saying a word. Not all the times, but they watch and observe. My sister is not working now so this save her money and was much more healthier too.

I have to keep this going!! Thanks for your support! Have a good day everyone!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    These are three things that are proven stall busters:

- increase your water
    -increase your protein
    -increase your exercise

Everything else I've seen people try sometimes works but often doesn't.

Oh and don't worry about your doctor's "goal" for you. Some programs are dead set on being "realistic" and never give a goal lower than whatever the average is for that surgery type. Because, of course, every single one of us is average and will lose exactly the same percentage of weight. :wink: I think 150 sounds exactly like that kind of goal.

So it's completely possible. You just have to work it and let the tool do it's thang!

I agree and since I have upped my water intake this month I have been doing wonderful. It is keep me satisfied in between meals and I am loving the results I getting with water. Exercise and protien is no issue with me now. I just do it. My issue is the other foods. Carbs. But this month I have doing good on veggies and fruits vs bad carbs. One day at a time!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Traits of WLS Winners
    by Katie Jay, MSW, Certified Wellness Coach
    Director, National Association for Weight Loss Surgery
    www.nawls.com

While nearly everyone who has WLS achieves some measure of
    success, some people do much better than others -- and not just
    in the measure of their weight.

Winning at WLS is not a size, it's a whole state of being.

Winning at WLS means achieving a weight that creates the
    opportunity for you to live a full, healthy, and satisfying life
    -- and then getting out there and living it.

So what do WLS winners do?

Winners Manage Their Focus
    WLS winners tend to have a structure to their lives so that they
    almost always know what they are really supposed to be doing.
    They don't leave things to chance. They stay focused on their
    goal to be healthy and let that shape their lives.

They learn time management and schedule in their WLS needs. They
    focus on what is important (buying vitamins if they have run out)
    rather than on what the world thinks is important (baking cup
    cakes for a party).

Winners Design a Plan that Fits Their Life
    Winners learn how to shape a life that works for them. They
    figure out where they are likely to struggle and build in
    strategies to minimize their troubles in those areas.

They use timers, always keep protein supplements in their car,
    keep food out of sight so they don't snack, or keep a case of
    water in their trunk -- whatever will work for them.

Winners Use Resources to Help Them
    Winners are information seekers. They don't assume that what
    they were taught about WLS at one point in time is sufficient
    information. They continue to learn, seek help, and find tools
    that will keep them on track.

They understand that they may need help to go from being at
    goal weight to being happy and comfortable with their new life.

Are You Reluctant to Win?
    Some people are very uncomfortable with winning. So, they resist
    it. They struggle with the last 20 pounds to avoid being at goal.

Of course, they don't necessarily know they're doing this.

Not doing your best is a form of self defense. If you don't try
    hard, you protect your ego from the experience of trying hard
    and failing -- a scary proposition.

Value the Pain of Losing
    Anyone who struggles with weight will fail from time to time. But
    that doesn't mean you will fail in the long run. By trying your
    best, even if you experience some failure from time to time, you
    will ultimately have a more meaningful life.

By getting comfortable with failing, and then trying again, you
    will eventually win.

Accept that Winning Can Be Confusing and Uncomfortable

Winning brings on a whole new set of uncomfortable feelings.
    Maybe you don't want to cause others to feel like losers as
    they compare themselves to you. Maybe you don't like the
    attention winning brings.

Whatever the discomfort, win anyway. You will learn to tolerate
    success. Just give it time.

Check Out Our Daily Inspirations!

Here's a Daily Inspiration from NAWLS. To find more, visit
    us online at www.nawls.com/public/department27.cfm

Don't make WLS lifestyle decisions based on your feelings.

In 12-step programs there is a saying. There are only two times
    to go to a 12-step meeting: when you want to go and when you don't
    want to go.

How can you apply this philosophy to your WLS lifestyle? Do you
    think it is a good idea to base what you do (with exercise and
    food choices) on how you feel?

If you only do the right thing when you feel like it, how likely
    are you to lose your excess weight and keep it off for life?

Action for the day: Today, do what you have planned to do that
    supports your WLS success. For example, don't base your decision
    to exercise on whether or not you feel like it. Do it because you
    have planned to do it. No excuses.

(c) 2011, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.

• GenieM0119
    GenieM0119 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had WLS RNY in January 2007. Thanks for staring the Support Group Mollie. You are an inspiration.

Genie
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I had WLS RNY in January 2007. Thanks for staring the Support Group Mollie. You are an inspiration.

Genie

Welcome Genie!! and thanks you are inspirtation also! I want to get to your size......:-)
  • Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how many of you have been told too much protien will ruin your kidneys. I have heard it and been told it on many occassions. See below passage from, Eat This, Not That by David Zinczenko

Myth #1: Too much protein hurts your kidneys
    Reality: Protein helps burn fat, build muscle, and won’t harm your kidneys at all

Way back in 1983, researchers discovered that eating more protein increases the amount of blood your kidneys filter per minute. Many scientists immediately made the leap that a high-protein diet places your kidneys under greater stress. They were proven wrong. Over the past two decades, several studies have found that while protein-rich meals do increase blood flow to the kidneys, this doesn't have an adverse effect on overall kidney function.

Wow! I have trouble getting the 60 grams recommended by my physician!
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Let's have a roll call. How many people on this site have had WLS?

:drinker: Me! (Those are protein drinks, of course.)

Me! Sleeved 10/28/10

Sleeved in Oct 2010!
  • Katz85340
    Options

Wow! I'm having the same problem! The scale hasn't moved in weeks! I thought it was just me! I was told 60 grams of protein...
  • Katz85340
    Options

Priskar,

It is not the protien. I just posted this so if people were concerned about the excessive protien they could sleep easily. I know for me I always wondered if I was ruining my kidneys because I do eat a lot of protien. I think 80 to 100 grams of protien is sufficent in your honeymoon stage. Many are not able to meet the protien values in the 1st year after surgery. I know it was over 6 months before I could eat 60 to 80 grams of protien. I posted this to reassure everyone that they are not damaging their kidneys as many will tell you. This is listed as a danger of the surgery by many doctores and institutions that are anti WLS.

I am not an expert but when you hit a stall and you are not exercising that is the best way to get a stall moving. I had my surgery October 26th, and I stalled in February for six weeks. I was already walking daily for 30 mins or more. The only thing that helped my plauteu was going to the gym and that was hard to do because I still weighed 400 plus. I went to gym a few times in March of that year following my surgery and I shed some tears the my 1st visit back to the gym because I got on the bike and I could not do 2 minutes because my knee hurt.

So it was another week or so and slowly I worked thru the pain 1 minute at a time. Finally by the end of March I was up to 15 to 20 min and I have not looked back. My knee is still a factor but I work thru it because I have to. My stall broke and I really have not had a real stall since then.

Since you can exercise now, I highly recommend you start exercising and leave your eating as is if it is what your doctor's have recommended and I do not feel you are starving. I do not buy the starvation mode crap at all. If you are not hungry do not eat. Embrace this honeymoon time you have. You will never get it back! I regret I did not take full advantage of it. The surgery does not work by itself.

We have to put our part of the work into it. If you do not get a more postive outlook and defitus outlook you are sure to waste this honeymoon period. Postive is impertive. I could have thrown my hands up when I gained back 80 pounds but I did not.

You could not exercise before and now you can, so get moving today. Do some form of calorie burning activity......:-) Do it today and not tomorrow. I can almost guratee you that if you are eating 400 to 800 calories and exercising you will see the scale move in a week or so. It is your turn now to see how bad you want to get to 130. How bad do you want to succeed? Success is never giving up. Success is doing whatever it takes. The surgery is a TOOL. You have lost the 30, so now it is up to you how much more you lose. You can do it but it is going to take effort on your part now. Success is to keep getting up. I know you can do this! Stop comparing your body to others. Everyone is different. You may have to work a little harder than others. So are you not willing to do this because others are losing more weight? Think long and hard about this.

You can not harp on you are not losing because of VSG when you could not exercise at all or was not able to exercise at all and you certainly can't compare yourself to a male. Even with WLS I see the men still lose weight faster than us. So when are you going to the pool? Today? Tomorrow? I hope you get there soon because I believe this will break your stall. I am not sure why you can't walk at all but exercise may be your key. You can do it! Start believing you can do it.

If you don't believe in yourself you are sure to fail. I read a lot of negativity in your post about yourself. I live by my 3 P's. Perseverance, Patience and Positive.

Perseverance - Never giving up on our health and self.

Patience - unhealthy habits will take time to overcome, so do not beat yourself if it takes time and many relapses to overcome them.

Positive - thinking and attitudes.

I really, really liked what you said! Thank you for motivating me!
  • revjackie04
    revjackie04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Well yesterday was a very bad and good day for me. One thing after another happened. Perfect for me binging but I did not do it!!! I was so proud of myself. I fought the urge to binge. No fast foods. I knew things were going bad. Lost my cell phone, power went out meaning no heat!! I was very mindful and knew I was on a roll and I was not going to do it. When all was over and done with and heat back on, I boiled some eggs and had some toast and banana for a late dinner.

YAY and got on the scale again today and I was down another pound!! Did I mention I kept drinking water and telling myself I am not going to eat over this stress today and it work. I kept thinking about a phrase of one of the challenges leaders keeps in her signature and I have heard it before but I kept repeating it to myself yesterday! The phrase was, "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." I may not ever be skinny but I am going to get much smaller (and healthier) than I am now. And yesterday that phrase worked for me. And I let myself cry too and that helped. It was on those days when you say what else can happen. But all is well today. Next month when the bills come in I will probably cry some more...

But today I am going to be happy because yesterday I did not do my usual even though my sister tempted me. After I told her I was not going to fast food joint. She went home and cooked her some eggs, oatmeal, etc and called me and told me she did not go to get anything and that her egg omelet and oatmeal was sooo good. That was good for me to hear also because that let me know she is listening to me and I am not pushing. I am just trying to be a good example. And it proves just doing the right thing helps our family without us saying a word. Not all the times, but they watch and observe. My sister is not working now so this save her money and was much more healthier too.

I have to keep this going!! Thanks for your support! Have a good day everyone!
  • revjackie04
    revjackie04 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry if my stuff is repeating...computer problems....

Anyhow....Mollie...you are such an awesome inspiration. I am so glad to hear that you found the strength to not cheat despite all that you were going through the other day. I love your honesty and encouragement through your testimony.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    See below link of a new realilty show coming A&E. I saw it this morning on Good Morning Amercia!! It looks like it is going to be better than The Biggest Loser because they have built in time for the mental issues that plague the morbibly obese.

http://www.aetv.com/heavy/?vid=AETV_Marketing_Horizon_20101228-Heavy_YuMe

I hate I am going to miss it because I do not have cable TV? Does anyone know if they have their shows on line to watch?

I will try to catch up on posts over the weekend. Very busy at work today!

I just wanted to tell everyone to have a good weekend!! One day at at time!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Sorry if my stuff is repeating...computer problems....

Anyhow....Mollie...you are such an awesome inspiration. I am so glad to hear that you found the strength to not cheat despite all that you were going through the other day. I love your honesty and encouragement through your testimony.

Thanks Jackie!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I am not sure how many of you have been told too much protien will ruin your kidneys. I have heard it and been told it on many occassions. See below passage from, Eat This, Not That by David Zinczenko

Myth #1: Too much protein hurts your kidneys
    Reality: Protein helps burn fat, build muscle, and won’t harm your kidneys at all

Way back in 1983, researchers discovered that eating more protein increases the amount of blood your kidneys filter per minute. Many scientists immediately made the leap that a high-protein diet places your kidneys under greater stress. They were proven wrong. Over the past two decades, several studies have found that while protein-rich meals do increase blood flow to the kidneys, this doesn't have an adverse effect on overall kidney function.

Wow! I have trouble getting the 60 grams recommended by my physician!

Katz,

This is normal in the 1st 12 to 18 months. The farther out you get the more protien you will be able to eat. Some always have a problem with protien after the honeymoon period. But most do not have issues. Keep up the good work! If you are stalling some ideas were given on breaking up those vicious stalls.:grumble:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Daily Inspiration for January 11, 2011
    Katie Jay, MSW

Treat your emotions as clues.

The best solution for emotional eating is for you to become an ace detective. Treat your emotions as intriguing mysteries to be solved, not pains to be numbed. Your long-term weight loss depends on it.

By calling your emotions "clues" instead of "crises" you can discover your emotional-eating triggers and develop an action strategy (like journaling or calling a friend) instead of a reaction response (yelling at your family or indulging in an unhealthy food to get rid of your strong emotion).

Action for the day: For today, treat your emotions as clues. Instead of reacting to your emotions, take a look at them individually and ask yourself, "What is this emotion trying to tell me?"

© 2009, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Daily Inspirations for January 13, 2011
    Katie Jay, MSW

Stay strong.

Staying strong is stopping to take your vitamins on your way out the door, even though you are late to work. Staying strong is going to the grocery store when you'd rather eat the less-than-ideal food that is in your cupboard. It is keeping your appointment to exercise. It is skipping the "fries with that."

Staying strong is admitting you are weak. It's calling a friend when you want to eat a box of crackers. It is going to a support group meeting, be it WLS-related or food-addiction-related, and taking the risk to tell a safe person you feel hopelessly hooked on sugar. Staying strong is forgiving yourself and starting over.

Action for the day: What does staying strong mean for you? In your journal, write a list of all the great choices you've made over the past few months in any area of your life. Where have you shown your strength? Own it!

© 2009, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.