Good or Bad Food?

Options
1235»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Wow. Ok. It's just my opinion. I don't think cake is good for you and walnuts are better for you. The end

In what way?
  • J72FIT
    edited January 2020
    Options
    shaf238 wrote: »
    Wow. Ok. It's just my opinion. I don't think cake is good for you and walnuts are better for you. The end

Eating a small piece of cake and 1 tonne of walnuts wouldn't work out very well for me. Doesn't make either of those foods good or bad however.

Walnuts are heart healthy and cake is not <necessarily>

Overeating walnuts is not heart healthy. Eating cake in moderation can certainly be heart healthy. Context and dose matter...
  • J72FIT
    edited January 2020
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I do understand what you are asking. I quit logging a while back because cake was less calories than walnuts and I thought that was ridiculous. I wish there were a way to determine the health factors of each food.

Calories are a unit of energy measurement. You need a certain amount of calories to maintain your present physical form and any and all activity you perform each day. If you eat that amount your weight will stay the same. If you eat more your body will store some of it. If you eat less your body will use stored energy to make up the difference.

The amount of calories found in a walnut is the amount of energy it can provide you. It is not an indication of quality. Understanding that walnuts carry a big calorie price tag is very helpful in weight management. Many people make the mistake of thinking "healthy" food will provide healthy results. It does not work that way. Everything needs to be portion controlled. The funny thing is that a person who doesn't log and is trying to lose weight may be safer with cake because it is generally understood you need a very small portion. That same person may be snacking on way too many walnuts and failing to lose weight or possibly even gaining.

I get you. Calories aside, I just don't think cake should be considered same as walnuts. Maybe I'm wrong. Ok. It's my opinion. Idk about you but I have a hard time eating a small portion of cake. I don't eat a whole bag of walnuts either. I never thought in a million years I'd have these many disagrees over my opinion of cake

But for the rest of us who can, and do only eat a small portion of cake, it would be fine.

That said, what if you did not have a hard time eating only a small portion of cake? Would your opinion change?
  • J72FIT
    edited January 2020
    Options
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    I think the original post has been answered, but to chime in. I don't believe MFP is geared toward nutrition or health, from what I've seen of the free version it is just about calories and macros - however you use that information is up to you.

@BuffaloChixSalad, don't take these forums and any seeming push-back seriously. Everyone communicates differently and written communication has it's challenges from both a writer and reader perspective. I'm always impressed with certain user's essays because it just shows they put in a lot of effort to be clear and precise. I am more of a cognitive shortcut and cut to the chase type person so "good" or "bad" works fine for me even if it isn't 100% accurate in every scenario.

It was only an opinion. How I view food. What's in my mind. I never thought it would have gotten so heated. I never said I had facts. Never said that I am a nutritionist or macro expert. Solely my view.

True, but you are making absolute statements as if they were facts. I apologize if it seems I'm picking on you, that said, the words we use matter. You can't make a factual, absolute statement and then back pedal and claim, "it is only my opinion...".
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I think the original post has been answered, but to chime in. I don't believe MFP is geared toward nutrition or health, from what I've seen of the free version it is just about calories and macros - however you use that information is up to you.

@BuffaloChixSalad, don't take these forums and any seeming push-back seriously. Everyone communicates differently and written communication has it's challenges from both a writer and reader perspective. I'm always impressed with certain user's essays because it just shows they put in a lot of effort to be clear and precise. I am more of a cognitive shortcut and cut to the chase type person so "good" or "bad" works fine for me even if it isn't 100% accurate in every scenario.

It was only an opinion. How I view food. What's in my mind. I never thought it would have gotten so heated. I never said I had facts. Never said that I am a nutritionist or macro expert. Solely my view.

True, but you are making absolute statements as if they were facts. I apologize if it seems I'm picking on you, that said, the words we use matter. You can't make a factual, absolute statement and then back pedal and claim, "it is only my opinion...".

Find someone to "pick on" I'm over this *kitten*
  • J72FIT
    edited January 2020
    Options

I apologize if you feel I am picking on you...
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Can you at least answer my question?

If you did not have a hard time eating only a small portion of cake, would your opinion change?

Does it really matter anymore? My opinion means nothing and I'm sick of being blasted over this *kitten*.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

If you did not have a hard time eating only a small portion of cake, would your opinion change?

Does it really matter anymore? My opinion means nothing and I'm sick of being blasted over this *kitten*.

I do not agree that you are getting blasted but I do think it unwise to try to keep helping someone that is not asking for it nor receptive at the moment.

I hope that in a few days this experience will not seem so raw to you and you will continue to use this forum as you need.
  • J72FIT
    Options

I apologize if you feel I am blasting you, that is not my intention.
  • J72FIT
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    When sources simplify complex things into simple rules for us, they're implicitly making decisions for us. Speaking only for myself, I like to make my own decisions (tradeoffs).

^^^Yes to both!
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

I think two major reasons people get upset in a conversation are
    1. Dishonest or otherwise truly hostile interlocutors.
    2. A held view is seriously challenged and can't be met.

I don't think anyone disagreeing with you is lying.
    The way to avoid number two is have solid reasons for what you believe, particularly knowing what counter-reasons, what other evidence, would require you to change your belief.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options

I think two major reasons people get upset in a conversation are
    1. Dishonest or otherwise truly hostile interlocutors.
    2. A held view is seriously challenged and can't be met.

I don't think anyone disagreeing with you is lying.
    The way to avoid number two is have solid reasons for what you believe, particularly knowing what counter-reasons, what other evidence, would require you to change your belief.

Risky meta (with implied/express self-revelation of judginess and other bad stuff) follows.

Observation: PP is not OP.

Assumption from reading her first post: PP was just in to empathize with OP.

Speculation: Situation increases chance PP will feel beleaguered (trying to be nice, disagreed with by so many words and people).

Value judgement on my part: Saw empathizing, didn't see actual help. Tried to clarify to bring focus back to OP question. Failed.

Meta conclusion: Thread has pretty much entirely lost focus on OP, and this post by me is amplifying that.

Rhetorical question: What is OP thinking and feeling now, if still reading?

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Rhetorical question: What is OP thinking and feeling now, if still reading?

Well, his profile indicates he hasn't been back in the past 2 days. He may have been scared off.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    The OP has not been here for 2 days. He might come back. Often they don't. There is a good chance that once he learned there was no "feature" to identify "bad" food and all these internet weirdos were talking about all food being good in context he left.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    The OP has not been here for 2 days. He might come back. Often they don't. There is a good chance that once he learned there was no "feature" to identify "bad" food and all these internet weirdos were talking about all food being good in context he left.

That’s kind of too bad. While this thread has sort of veered off track a bit, I think viewed as a whole, it kind of illustrates just how subjective food “quality” is and how allowing an algorithm (or another person) to make those decisions for us isn’t always best.