Canning Club!

Options
TropicalKitty
TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
Hi all!

I'd like to start a thread (thanks to an idea from a fellow MFP'er! - kayemme) for those of us who are into or getting into canning. We can perhaps share tips, tricks, recipes, failures, whatever.

This is my first year trying the whole canning thing. I just bought a pressure canner (for low acid foods) that should be on my doorstep tomorrow. I'm thrilled to be able to save money and have nutritious foods on hand from the summer all year.

First round that I'm going to try in the canner is some homemade beef stock this weekend and some vegetable soup. *crosses fingers*

Can't wait!

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    OH MY GOSH! I'm in!!! I've been making our own jam for a few months now but Saturday did my first batch of pickles... YUM!

I don't have a canner but would love one.. I do it the ol' fashioned way of putting it in boiling water for bout 15 min.

I plan to add salsa, more veggies (beans, asparagus, cauliflower etc.), stock and soup is new to me! I wonder if you could do applesauce too then!? I'm super excited for more info!
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the old fashioned way with boiling water. I have a whole set of pint-size jars! I don't seem to be getting much from the garden so I may have to hit up a veggie market and have a whole day canning. I haven't started yet.
  • amjenti
    amjenti Posts: 12
    Options
    I've done a little canning. Mainly orange marmalade (winter time) and fresh strawberry jam.
    I have a huge amount of fresh blueberries in my freezer that I don't know what to do with. They are a little on the tart side.
    I'll have to look for some recipes.

Good luck in canning vegetable soup and homemade beef stock, sounds wonderful. :drinker:

ETA: I do it the old fashioned way too
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Oh I'm so excited there are others who want to join me!

I thought the boiling thing was the normal way to do it, but as I read up on it, boiling the jars doesn't get the heat you need to kill the bacteria in the low acid foods. For things like vegetables, you need to get the temp up to like 240F to kill the botulism bacteria that can flourish in the no oxygen environment you are creating. Stuff like tomatoes and jams, most fruits, are ok for the boiling method because the acid in them isn't hospitable for the bacteria.

The pressure canner I got can be used to water can as well.

I'll share my recipe and results from this coming, amjenti. Does anyone have any tips or words of advice for me?

mamaturner, have you looked on www.pickyourown.org? There's a bunch of recipes on there and they have some canning stuff too. It may say about applesauce. I got the Ball canning guide to go with my canner, so I'll see if it has a recipe in there for you.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    I've done a little canning. Mainly orange marmalade (winter time) and fresh strawberry jam.
    I have a huge amount of fresh blueberries in my freezer that I don't know what to do with. They are a little on the tart side.
    I'll have to look for some recipes.

Good luck in canning vegetable soup and homemade beef stock, sounds wonderful. :drinker:

ETA: I do it the old fashioned way too

I love mixing fruits for jams. I use blueberries with raspberries and strawberries a lot. Makes a great "triple berry jam" I actually have that in the database... most of my fruit jams come to about 30 cals per Tablespoon. I tried using some honey and cutting some sugar... didnt work too well. lol. Or you could make some blueberry pie filling.. use it for pies, cobblers or on top of ice cream of low fat cheesecake!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    every year I make my own jam. I have made lost of other things in the past such as sauerkraut, spaghetti sauce, relish, etc! I love eating our own food we have prepared!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Here's a link about the acidity and boiling/pressure canning:

http://www.umext.maine.edu/onlinepubs/htmpubs/4078.htm
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    Options
    I can not WAIT for next summer to get back into a garden and basic canning. We've been living in a rental for 3 years since relocating but are currently looking to purchase. :drinker:
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Well I guess I may need to invest in a canner!! I guess so far everyone I'm doing is high acidity so I'm ok... but if I do anything else I'd need it. Just another thing to add to my wish list for my tiny kitchen!

Thanks for the websites!!

Brangwen, we rent too, luckily our building manager is cool and let us plant a few tomato and pepper plants in front of our apartment. We also have a few planters of them... unfortunately they're getting soft brown spots... anyone know why!?! We've never had this problem... anywho, we go to the farmer's market every Saturday morning to stock up. I do my canning either Sat or Sunday.... just need more space for my jars!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I got my canner for $79.97 on Amazon (the Presto 23 quart) it holds 7 quart jars or I can't remember how many pints etc. I've seen really good reviews for it.

I have a garden, but squash bugs claimed my zucchini, yellow and crookneck squash. I have some tomatoes so far. It's my first, so a bit of a learning curve going on. Next year I know I'll need to plant more tomatoes and figure something out about those pesky squash bugs! So farmer's market it is for me as well.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am joining you guys too!!!!

Here is the website I use for home canning everything that I do............

http://www.pickyourown.org/

ketchup, BBQ sauce, salsa, tomato sauce, tomato paste, etc................We canned peaches and pears last year also and my sister is using them to puree and use for baby food.

I love gardening and canning. We learned a lot from my mom and my aunt (mom's sister) still cans with me and my sister since our mom is passed away. Good family time spent preparing foods to have through out the winter.

I would suggest getting the Ball brand pressure cooker if you don't already have one.

Happy Canning!!!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm in!
  • 4myheartnsoul
    Options
    I don't can but I freeze. I row everything in my garden and make salsa, soup, spaghetti sauce. I cook beef or chicken and make my own stock...I love it!! I also make my own zuchinni bread and apple cake and muffins and freeze them. Welcome everyone!!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I got my canner for $79.97 on Amazon (the Presto 23 quart) it holds 7 quart jars or I can't remember how many pints etc. I've seen really good reviews for it.

I have a garden, but squash bugs claimed my zucchini, yellow and crookneck squash. I have some tomatoes so far. It's my first, so a bit of a learning curve going on. Next year I know I'll need to plant more tomatoes and figure something out about those pesky squash bugs! So farmer's market it is for me as well.

Check out this website for plants that will naturally repel those squash bugs.................This is where my sister and I have been learning from. Natural pest control so you don'thave to use chemicals and can have an organic garden.

http://organicgardens.suite101.com/article.cfm/natural_garden_pest_control
  • solvig
    solvig Posts: 25
    Options
    What a great club! I've been canning for a couple years and I finally got a pressure canner for Christmas this last year. I usually do jams, jellies, fresh fruit, tomatoes and we did turkey stock with the pressure canner. It's so much fun. In fact, pears should be getting about ripe any time now and we have a place that we get to go and pick all we want for FREE!! That's the trick, find as much stuff as you can for free to keep your costs down, or it's just not worth it.

I love canning and hunt thrift stores constantly for jars because no matter how many you have, you always want more! LOL!
  • MrsRLD
    MrsRLD Posts: 25
    Options
    So in! I love to can. This last year I took the course at the local extension service and became a master food preserver. Here are the things I enjoy canning the most:
    Tuna, Hot Pepper Jelly, Peaches, Zucchini Relish, Pickled vegtables, Stewed tomatoes, Applesauce and juice, Apple butter, Berry jams, Red Onion Marmalade, Jalepenos, Chow chow, I also like to dry:, Fruit leathers, Apples, Tomatoes, Peppers, Wild Mushrooms, and herbs
    So much fun,
    Shannon
  • mamaturner
    Options

I would suggest getting the Ball brand pressure cooker if you don't already have one.

I'm on amazon.com and can't find it?! I would love a ball brand, that's what I use for my cans....
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been wanting to do canning for a few years now..and while my garden is super small this year since summer didn't sart here in Oregon until just about two weeks ago, I am going to buy lugs of peaches and tomatoes to can.

I've been looking for a sun dried tomato recipe for quite a long time without success...but found an oven dried tomato recipe in my latest Food and Wine magazine that I cannot wait to try!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Shannon I LOOOOOVE Red onion marmalade!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Thanks for the link Lioness! I had heard of the radish, but there are so many other things that I love that I could plant to help my garden.

Oooh MrsRLD, you'll be a great resource for us too! I wonder if my local extension office offers something too.