Canning Club!

Options

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Got the canner! Thrilled! That sucker is big...oh my.

Which kind did you get?
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    CRASH!
    BURN!
    ...fail.

Not on the canning, but the stock sucked. :sick: So the canning was put on hold. The recipe I had for stock said meat was optional (LIAR!) so I didn't use any. (dumb me) I'm going to make new stock this week sometime so I can re-try making the soup to can. *sigh* I was so excited! But now I know better and I have everything so it should go smoother.

Since my garden had the bug issues, I think in a couple weeks I'll have a massive canning weekend to get out frustrations. Plus, the peaches and tomatoes have started looking awesome...and more goodies are popping up at the market. I have a huge thing this coming week (Beerfest! :drinker: ) so I won't be in any shape to be around pressurized hot things. :laugh:

As for what kind I got, Lioness, it's the Presto 23qt Aluminum.
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    CRASH!
    BURN!
    ...fail.

Not on the canning, but the stock sucked. :sick: So the canning was put on hold. The recipe I had for stock said meat was optional (LIAR!) so I didn't use any. (dumb me) I'm going to make new stock this week sometime so I can re-try making the soup to can. *sigh* I was so excited! But now I know better and I have everything so it should go smoother.

I like to make my stock with the bones of whichever stock your making. Just keep it simple, couple pounds of bones, salt, pepper, bay leaf, fresh thyme, carrot, celery, onion (I like to add lemon to chicken/veg stock)
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have only made homemade jam but growing up my mom and grandmother (who lived in a cottage on our property) would spend days for weeks at a time canning. I just remember the enticing smells and the activity of veggies and fruits being washed and cut. The kitchen was the hub of a lot of activity. My mom makes the best salsa and her applesauce is the best. My grandmother used to make spiced peaches. I always run my jars through the dishwasher on the sanitize setting as well as using a canner. For those who do not have a garden if you know someone who does, offer to provide them with some canned goods in exchange for the produce. I have a brother who keeps me supplied and in turn I will provide him with some yummy gifts. Thank you so much for the info on the canner.:flowerforyou:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    CRASH!
    BURN!
    ...fail.

I like to make my stock with the bones of whichever stock your making. Just keep it simple, couple pounds of bones, salt, pepper, bay leaf, fresh thyme, carrot, celery, onion (I like to add lemon to chicken/veg stock)

Here's what I did:
    ~7lbs of beef bones, 2 big carrots, 1 big onion - roasted in oven for about 40mins @400F
    Put in stock pot with 6qts of hot water and 2 big celery stalks plus some celery leaves, fresh parsley, thyme, 2 big garlic cloves, 11 peppercorns, bay leaf, and some sea salt.

It was on the stove lightly simmering for about 4hours before I tried it and it was the nastiest thing ever. It NEEDS the meat for the flavor. So I'm going to use the same recipe but add about a pound and a half of beef to it.

The only thing I can think of is that there was something up with the bones, but I got them from a local meat processing place.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Welcome Karen! Someone on here was asking about applesauce, so they may be interested in the recipe your mom used.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    in the Fall when apples are aplenty, I sometimes just make blender applesauce. It's that simple. Just put an apple in a food processor or blender, skin & all. sometimes a little lemon juice and/or cinnamon if it's not a very juicy apple. eat alone, or use in baking as an oil substitute.

edit: not for canning. just for eating.
  • kayemme
    Options
    CRASH!
    BURN!
    ...fail.

Not on the canning, but the stock sucked. :sick:

how can the stock suck? haha! maybe you were just short on salt. stock needs salt. not a lot, but certainly some.
  • kayemme
    Options
    i'd just like to point out, that i love the frugality of preserving food as well as the throwback to a simpler time. anyone who wants to add me as a "friend" please feel free to do so. we're a little early to can tomatoes yet.. my babies aren't due for about another 3 weeks (a few here and there, but the big haul is projected for mid-late august)
  • mamaturner
    Options
    tropicalkitty- stock isn't going to be very salty. People get stock and broth confused. Stock is your basic flavors that you add to soups/sauces along with our friend sodium. Stock already has the sodium/added flavors in it. I hope you didn't thru it away! that's a very good stock recipe.. think of it as you "base" to build off of!! (chef by trade)

And that was me asking bout applesauce! I have recipes just wasn't sure if it was canable.. lol canable..

Weclome Karen, what an amazing time you must have had watching the women in your family!! I could actually picture those things while reading what you wrote!!

The hubs and I got our first decent bell pepper yesterday! and our pinot noir peppers are days away! Tomatoes are finally turning red! We decided we'll do some salsa next, I really would like a canner but I think it'll be a few months before that's in our budget!
  • kayemme
    Options
    tropicalkitty- stock isn't going to be very salty. People get stock and broth confused. Stock is your basic flavors that you add to soups/sauces along with our friend sodium. Stock already has the sodium/added flavors in it. I hope you didn't thru it away! that's a very good stock recipe.. think of it as you "base" to build off of!! (chef by trade)

very good point! i always add a little tiny bit of salt when i make the stock so i can taste the flavors and see if i need to add anything. but i don't can the stock, i simply freeze it.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

very good point! i always add a little tiny bit of salt when i make the stock so i can taste the flavors and see if i need to add anything. but i don't can the stock, i simply freeze it.

I did put some sea salt in it. I wasn't expecting it to be like cow soup. When I tasted it, it was like water and had a funny taste. Really no flavor from the stuff I put in it - like the garlic or onion. That's why I'm wondering if it was the bones that I used. After I tasted it I was so repulsed there was no way I could have used it for anything. Seriously, a couple drops hit my tongue and I gagged. I may just suck it up and see if Publix or somewhere else has bones I can get that may be better. (The meat processing place smelled funny where they had the bones, so that probably got into the bone and hence the nasty taste)

This is the recipe I plan on using this week:
    http://unofficialcook.com/recipes/julia-childs-brown-stock/

Basically the same recipe, just with meat in it to give it flavor and a smidge less bone.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    kayemme- I normally freeze mine too

tropicalkitty- for chicken stock I normally bake my chicken and when it comes time to get all the meat off I just keep the bones for stock (turkey the same, we always make turkey stock after thanksgiving) Otherwise you should be able to just get soup bones from your g-store. I go to a butcher, you can ask them to save the bones for you! Bones with marrow are the best and will give the best flavor (not the most waist friendly, but worth it) Good luck next time round!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Gonna be making my marinara for the week (super basic so I can use that instead of canned products full of sodium, however I do used canned whole tomatoes lol. Only b/c I didn't prepare with tomatoes from farmer's market, grrrr)

Canning 2 jars of jam for a friend, and some dilly beans!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Mama - that sounds good! What's your marinara recipe? I always like seeing what other people use to see what I could incorporate into my stuff. Right now I guess my sauce is more like a ragu...

Decided I'm taking a break from the stock and will just buy some organic low sodium stock for my soup. Ordered some peaches that will be delivered from the co-op on Friday that I'm going to can to give as xmas treats (attach a bag of flour etc for peach cobbler).
  • mamaturner
    Options
    2 cans whole peeled tomatoes (or preferably a few pounds of tomatoes, shocked and peeled)
    1 medium onion, diced
    3-6 cloves garlic, minced
    4-6 T good olive oil
    2 tsp granulated sugar
    4-6 T kosher salt

In olive oil sweat onions about 10 min with 1-2 T salt
    Add garlic and cook another 1-2 min.
    Put tomatoes thru a food mill and add to onion and garlic
    Add sugar and 1-2 T salt and simmer about 45 min with lid half on.

Taste, and add salt as needed.

Very basic but SOOOOO delicious. Last time I added lean ground chuck to the batch and I love topping it when you use with meals with fresh herbs, especially basil!
  • smileyface45
    smileyface45 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    WHAT IS RED ONION MARBELADE ?
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    You guys make me want to pull out my canner! I have a great recipe for Blueberry Freezer Jam that I am seriously thinking about doing today. Really easy and is a great gift, too! I want to work on the amount of sugar and try different things but will stick with this version for now.

2 pints (4 cups) blueberries, crushed (reduced to 2 1/2 cups)
    3 cups sugar
    1 tsp. grated orange peel (if desired)
    1/2 cup water
    1 package powdered fruit pectin (1 3/4 oz)

Mix blueberries, sugar and orange peel in large bowl. Let stand 20 mins, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.

Mix water and pectin in 1 quart saucepan. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 min. Pour hot pectin mixture over blueberry mixture. Stir constantly 3 minutes.

Immediately spoon mixture into freezer containers, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rims of containers; seal. Let stand at room temperature about 24 hours or until set.

Store in freezer up to 6 months or in refrigerator up to 3 weeks. Thaw frozen jam and stir before serving.

Serving size: 1 Tblsp.
    Cals: 35
    Total Fat: 0
    Carbs: 9g
    Dietary Fiber: 1g
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Mama - your recipe is so simple and you can spice it up however later. Nice! I think a food mill is next on my wish list.

Lori - have you looked at some of the low sugar pectin options? I've seen em (not tried) but that might help. I think the suregel one is in a pink box.
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Lori- I don't use pectin in my jams.. it's straight up fruit, spices and sugar.

3 cups of your fruit
    1 cup sugar
    citrus zest
    cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice/cayanne (really whatever)

Bring to boil and boil until when a horizontal line is drawn on the spoon (I use wood padle) and the top line does not run turn off heat and let cool a little. Put in your jar and then can. I don't do frozen jams tho so not sure if it would make a difference.

Last batch I tried using honey and reduced my sugar... didn't thickin up as nicely tho... so it looks like I have some triple berry sauce for ice cream and meats! lol

Good luck!