Canning Club!

Options

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    Sorry bout your peaches gals!! I'm still a lil scared to leave my pickle and jam realm lol. My hubs aunt is an avid canner so he was asking her some questions and tips, so that was cool!! Got a great recommendation for a book that's at a local store, so I think next weekend we'll get it.

Today I'm gonna make some pickles, wanna do a jar of bread and butter too, but then I'd have to run to the store, so we'll see. I think we're gonna do some salsa too. Now his aunt doesn't put the whole jar in, weird. She said she boils the lid only and b/c she puts it on when it's boiling hot when it cools it has the same affect... any thoughts? I guess that's all your looking for is a seal right?

I also noticed.... how many Jessica's do we have in here?!?! lol I believe 3!

Happy Canning!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Mama J - The chick who sits next to me @ work does the same thing for pasta sauce - cook, fill, flip. I'd like to try making pickles eventually, too. Good luck with those!

Apparently this is the Jessica thread!
  • mamaturner
    Options
    Mama J - The chick who sits next to me @ work does the same thing for pasta sauce - cook, fill, flip. I'd like to try making pickles eventually, too. Good luck with those!

By flip you mean she puts the cap on and then boils it upside down just so the lid is covered? That had ran in my head too, that's how I thought my hubs said his aunt did it. I think I'm gonna try it that way, but his aunt boils the lid seperatly and puts it on the jar and lets it cool I guess. I like the other way tho!

Yay for Jessica canning thread! :drinker:
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

By flip you mean she puts the cap on and then boils it upside down just so the lid is covered? That had ran in my head too, that's how I thought my hubs said his aunt did it. I think I'm gonna try it that way, but his aunt boils the lid seperatly and puts it on the jar and lets it cool I guess. I like the other way tho!

Not boil upside down, cool upside down sans boiling. Like your hubby's auntie did. The sauce is hot enough that it makes the seal. Or so she says.

And Jessicas rock!
  • mamaturner
    Options

Not boil upside down, cool upside down sans boiling. Like your hubby's auntie did. The sauce is hot enough that it makes the seal. Or so she says.

And Jessicas rock!

AAAAhhh.. so really only works with some things.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Yeah, I think the no-boil method is one of those high-acid super hot pack, non-official methods. Like you can get away with it, but the USDA won't tell you it's ok.

I just asked her...tomatoes juiced/milled twice, boil with some salt for awhile until thickens, put some lemon juice in jars. Keep it hot on burner, ladle into jars, put on lid, flip. Let cool.
  • tattoodfreek
    tattoodfreek Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    You have to be careful with the no boil method! Just because the jar seals doesn't necessarily make it safe. The boiling and the pressure canning kills bacteria in the jar and food so that you don't end up getting spoilage (or botulism). This is generally ok with high acid foods, because the acidity of the food kills the bacteria growth. Adding lemon juice to the sauce increases the acidity, but it's still a sketchy way to do it.

Of course, plenty of people do it and it turns out just fine. You just have to decide how you feel about the risk! LOL

I talked to my mom, who did some reading and apparently the leakage and the bubbling of the peaches is common with the raw pack method. Now that they've sat for two days though, the peaches have pretty much stopped floating and look pretty :)
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I just found your thread this morning and would like to join you. I have been canning tomatoes and salsa for the last two or three years. I have also made applesauce and canned it. I have never made jam because all my fruit goes into a food processor and put in the freezer for mixing drinks. I love a margarita in the middle of the winter with fresh raspberries. I also dice all peppers and freeze them as it makes it easy to grab the bag out of the freezer and add to chili or eggs.

I found a recepie for relish that uses zuccinni and thought I might try that this year.
    Thanks
    Peggy
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    kayemme is having issues and asked me to post this for her:

Tomorrow I start canning my tomatoes. I have about 20lbs ready to go, the oldest ones being about 3 days off the vine (tomorrow will be 3 days).

This is my first time canning, so I have a few questions for those of you that have done this before, as I don't want to poison neither myself nor my friends.

Tomorrow I will go to pick up new lids & rings as the ones I have are about 3 years old, even though they are unused, I'd feel safer using brand new ones.

I have a variety of tomatoes ranging from sweet to robust. My questions are as follows:

1) Are there any tomatoes I should not can?
    2) With blemished tomatoes, should I simply cut off the bad parts and process the rest?
    3) With overripe tomatoes, should I simply make a sauce and either can or freeze the sauce?
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Welcome Peggy!

kayemme, the only thing I know about canning tomatoes is from pickyourown.org (I really need to read my Ball book!). On there it's suggested to add lemon juice to tomatoes to ensure the acidity is high enough for water bath canning. If in doubt, pressure can to make sure the bacteria are killed. I also think that the overripe ones might be good for the sauce because I recall seeing somewhere that overripe fruit can cause another type of can rot. I'll see if I can find a source online for that and post it here. Someone with some more experience like MrsRLD might be able to chime in on this too.

EDIT:

Here's UGA's link to the USDA's guidelines: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/publications_usda.html

From what I saw online, you don't want to use overripe fruit for canning because the acidity is lowered. Perhaps for the overripe tomatoes it would be best to freeze what you make...
  • callie365
    callie365 Posts: 689
    Options
    Hello :smile:

Sounds like fun and loads of information, I'd love to join your thread!

I planted my 1st garden this year and want to learn how to can to be ready for next summer.
  • bhender254
    bhender254 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to speak up here as I have been canning for about 20 years. Be very careful with hot water bath canning/boiling water canning. 15 minutes is not long enough to properly perserve anything and could make you very very sick as botchalism will grow in sealed jars that haven't been processed properly. The scary thing about botchalism is that it has no smell or taste, you don't know it's there until you are sick.

Pressure canning is the safest way to preserve vegetables I would hate to hear of anyone getting sick or worse from trying to can their own foods. If you aren't sure google "canning" and whatever food you want to can and you can find the correct way to process.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just want everyone to be safe.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    whew! this is working again!

I have the Ball Blue Book, and it does suggest using lemon juice to up the acidity. Most of my toms are at their peak right now, as I only picked the oldest ones a couple days ago and many last night.

when packed in water, it says to process for 40m pints; 45m quarts, in the water bath canner. so that's significantly longer than 15m that someone was concerned about.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Hi, just wanted to speak up here as I have been canning for about 20 years. Be very careful with hot water bath canning/boiling water canning. 15 minutes is not long enough to properly perserve anything and could make you very very sick as botchalism will grow in sealed jars that haven't been processed properly. The scary thing about botchalism is that it has no smell or taste, you don't know it's there until you are sick.

Pressure canning is the safest way to preserve vegetables I would hate to hear of anyone getting sick or worse from trying to can their own foods. If you aren't sure google "canning" and whatever food you want to can and you can find the correct way to process.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just want everyone to be safe.

Thank you for your concern! Food safety is the biggest deal in home canning. We do our best to follow the USDA guidelines for processing high and low acid foods the proper way.

From what I've read, high acid foods can be safely processed in a water bath as the acid is inhospitable to botchulism and the times have generally been around 20-25minutes for processing (for things like jams, longer for other things).

Those veggies etc are definitely the ones you have to watch out for and I totally agree with you, when in doubt, pressure can! But just because you pressure can doesn't mean you did it correctly either. You must ensure you get to the proper PSI for your elevation to attain the proper temperature for killing the bacteria.

In googling, you need to make sure the source is a good source though too. Stick to known entities, government (FDA, USDA, local extension office) and academic institutions. Pickyourown.org appears to be good as well since they site the USDA regs. Ball is another good resource, along with the guide that comes with the canning supplies.

So, please everyone keep these things in mind. :) When in doubt, ask, that's why we're here! Make sure we are doing things the right way. We don't want anyone getting sick.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    just sent bf to get a new sponge because the old one freaks me out too much to use on the canning equipment....
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    just sent bf to get a new sponge because the old one freaks me out too much to use on the canning equipment....

Not that this is canning related, but one of those hints from Heloise type things...I had thought I read you could nuke em to clean em...but I just like to run the jars thru the dishwasher. And I, too, would prefer a clean sponge to dirty. They're the nastiest thing.

You just gave me an idea! dedicated canning sponge?
  • mamaturner
    Options

I have the Ball Blue Book, and it does suggest using lemon juice to up the acidity. Most of my toms are at their peak right now, as I only picked the oldest ones a couple days ago and many last night.

when packed in water, it says to process for 40m pints; 45m quarts, in the water bath canner. so that's significantly longer than 15m that someone was concerned about.

good to know!!! I don't have the ability to get a canner yet so I do it in a water bath
  • TropicalKitty
    Options

good to know!!! I don't have the ability to get a canner yet so I do it in a water bath

I think hot pack rather than raw pack helps too...my two pennies.
  • mamaturner
    Options

I think hot pack rather than raw pack helps too...my two pennies.

I'm assuming hot pack is when your "ingredients" are hot? If so, that's how I do it, lol... still have a lot of terms to learn!